IGNORED

Fundie lifestyle or worn out genes?

Freefundies

My family is somewhat new to watching 19+C but here is something we've all noticed (other than obvious fundie lifestyle issues) the women are better looking than the men. The Duggar ladies are attractive and definitely have more defining features setting each one off from one another; whereas the Duggar guys all look like a copy of the gene pool. Not trying to be mean but am being honest, are we the only ones that have thought this?

Next observation: Even though many of the Duggar clan are just becoming young men/women they all have an old/somewhat worn out look to them - I am calling this look the fundie lifestyle soul drain look. Examples: Josh is in upper 20's but looks to be 30 to early 30ish (aging quickly) and he already seems completely drained of energy at times or bored with his life; however, Anna after having several children has gotten to be pretty (face filled out nicely and she is no longer a scrawny looking girl). JD for being 25 looks very worn down (even though I know he is spiritually awake it doesn't shine out from him) for his age whereas twin sister, Jana, is a beautiful girl (inside and outside). Jill, Jessa and Jinger also have a spirit that spills forward from them; however at times, I feel that Jinger seems a bit drained as well and she is too young to have that look. Now onto Joseph and Josiah both young men and look their age for right now. They do have a spirit that shines through but I have a feeling that by the time they are in their mid 20's are going to resemble men 5+ years older. When TLC showed the pic of Josiah with girlfriend Marjorie, who is only 17, she looks to be 4 or 5 years older than her actual age. Maybe its because some people aren't photogenic (I fully admit this is me) or just the lighting/setting but they are mostly looking raggid for their ages.

JB and Michelle look more alive than some of these kids do. Is it just my family with this question or do you think that the fundie lifestyle has drained the life out of some of them or is it the genepool or a bit of everything around? Not trying to be mean or disrespectful but it is what we see a lot of the time.

i think it's poor diet combined with being night owls. Plus the guys like Josh and now Josiah have to assume total responsibility for their households.

The girls do eat better than the guys, they're shown making a lot of salads and veggies/fruits.

I've noticed it's kind of a family trait for them to have tired eyes, especially Jill and Derick for some reason.

Women in the fundie lifestyle have to keep up with their looks since it's a very patriarchal society.The girls probably work out and make an effort to eat healthy, while the guys don't. Jinger looks a bit "rough" because of the overuse of self tanner. Oh, and the pesky premature balding seems to be hitting most of the older guys so that's pretty unfortunate.(maybe JB will let them get hair plugs?) I do think Joseph is pretty attractive for a Duggar son, but most of them haven't matured physically so we shall see.

I do think some aspects of their culture DOES wear them out, both the girls and guys. The Duggar daughters were/are sister moms and babysitting kids 24/7 can be draining. Josh probably stress eats because of his growing family and some pictures pre-courtship Jill looked haggard. So it's probably a mixture of things.

Question: Are there pictures of the J'slaves without make-up? I think I saw a picture of Jinger sans eyeliner but that's it. I'm sure they are still just as beautiful but I wonder if they would feel confident enough to take pictures without it.

They're supposed to practice looking sweet and happy. I think it's easier for the girls to keep up appearances until the cracks show a bit, but the boys are expected to be little work-machines and not have downtime to just relax. The stress probably wears them down faster.

I have noticed a few interesting things lately about the Duggars physical appearance:

- Michelle is looking extremely healthy, fit, and vital. She really is looking younger and has lost a lot of weight, and barely has any wrinkles!

- Josh and John-David are fatter than ever, and both seem so pale, lethargic, and unmotivated.

- Derrick has huge bags under his eyes, has let his hair grow out and is looking a bit feral.

- Jills fashion sense has taken a huge dip since moving away from Jessa/Jinger. She is back to wearing dorkier clothes, and is letting her hair dry naturally.

- Jinger is wearing WAY too much eye makeup. She's also trying to express herself by wearing much tighter tops, very dangly earrings, headbands and hats.

- Jessa's skirt in the honeymoon episode was significantly above the knee. She clearly wasted no time experimenting with shorter skirt length.

Jinseng I do have to agree with a bit of your post. Michelle is looking better/fit making a real effort to take care of herself at this age and it shows. To me she is realizing all those changes occurring in her life and body and attempting to do what is needed for the long run. Additionally since she doesn't have babies in the bedroom anymore it looks like

she is coming around nicely to next phase of life.

JB, Josh and JD all look ragged and you put it best with pale and unmotivated. JB at least has go to him although he isn't on the health kick but Josh and JD are too young to have that pale truly tired of life look (fundie lifestyle soul drain) at their ages. I don't think those guys need to eat more healthy but maybe they need some sort of testosterone hormone therapy because something is not right with them.

Derick has become a bit more feral but I am glad that he has added some weight on since being married but he needs to maintain hair and beard unless taking Duck Dynasty route is coming. I feel that life is really hitting them now as they just had Israel and the pressure really begins to mount. Jill looked bad at the end of her pregnancy but any woman understands why and I hope she is able to reboot herself quickly but I have a feeling she will be preggers with no.2 by beginning of August. Jill will handle a brood confidently enough as she has had the experience but Derick is really new to a large family and it'll be interesting to see how he holds up over time. I think about him the most because he lost his dad at a young age and god forbid it but Derick could go the same route. It will interesting to see these two in 10 years. As for Jill, I hope she manages to drop the floor length skirts at some point in the future but she was wearing that before her pregnancy and will probably keep on going with it.

Jessa does have the most style of the ladies and she looked cute on honeymoon with Ben. I hope that Jessa begins to gravitate a bit more to Ben's side of the family as I think that could be her saving grace. I really don't want to see Jessa/Ben wearing the fundie lifestyle soul drain look 5 years out from marriage and I truly wish them the radiance of youth for some time to come.

Poor Jinger is falling into Jana's path but to me Jinger is showing the wear and tear of the daily grind for it. Free Jana, Jinger and Joyanna as quickly as possible.

first, I think the girls have to keep the facade up for both potential suitors and for the cameras. They also eat healthier than the guys do.

second aside from Josh and John David most of the guys in the family are still in the teen/early twenty awkward stage with skin issues, braces, etc. Add in starchy diets. Then factor in the seemingly no need to worry about any fashion sense because hey we're guys (and gee, how many was Jessa really picking clothes out for? should be interesting to see where that goes with her out of the house).

Joe has already adopted the Derrick/Ben beard look of late.

Josiah appears to have the same unfortunate hairline as Josh.

Josh put on that baby weight with MacKenyzie and hasn't really taken it off which aged him.

I find all the Duggar girls to be really pretty, in different ways. I know we're always talking about which one is prettier, but I really think all those girls are beautiful. I like Jinger's new style, but she has looked extra tired lately. I think the girls are allotted more time to make themselves up and put more energy into clothes etc.

The duggar boys are cute kids, but I feel like they didn't win the genetic lottery like the girls and they start aging really fast once they're in their teens. It's unfortunate. I also think they aren't given the same resources or time as the girls to focus on that kind of stuff, and they work hard from a young age (just a guess. Though it's tough work what the girls do too). Combine that with a tater tot based diet, and it goes downhill quickly.

The girls also have the option of makeup and different hairstyles. The boys don't have the option of dabbing on some concealer and mascara (can't be catching teh geyz now!).

And yes, the girls all look exhausted. They've been raising kids since they were 5 years old!

The girls (Jill and Jessa especially) need to chop off about 9 inches of that tired, stringy hair. Maybe when Jill has the post-partum hair loss she'll be motivated to get a shearing. Michelle hasn't been pregnant in over three years so she has had time for the hair to bounce back.

A lot of those kids have a tendency for shadowy undereyes (the blonder of the boy twins, a few of the youngest boys, Joy) and it makes them look really tired. That's probably inherited.

Josh has gone seriously downhill in the past several years. He looks like his Aunt Evelyn.

I've noticed this too. Michelle looks ridiculously good for a woman who has given birth to 19 kids, never mind who actually takes care of them, that takes a huge toll on the body. In the recent People article when they did something different to Michelle's hair, she looked great. Jim Bob doesn't look that bad either, he's a big dork, but he still looks better than any of his adult sons in my opinion. The Duggar boys just didn't seem to get the lucky side of the gene pool which is sort of the opposite of the Bates family because the Bates boys for the most part are very attractive (but so are some of their girls). It appears some of the Duggars have a tendency to gain weight if they don't watch it, and no naming any names, some of the boys clearly aren't even trying at this point (which is totally okay).

As for Jill, since she hooked up with Derrick she's started looking exhausted. Could be the pregnancy, could be sharing a bed with someone as big as Derrick is making her lose sleep (not in a kinky way, in an annoying way). Both Derrick and Jill have some pretty serious crow's feet and bags under their eyes for only being in their early 20's. It will be interesting to see what those 2 look like in 10 more years. I think Jessa is going to age very well like her mom has, Jana probably will too. Anna has aged well thus far, but we've seen what her mom looks like so who knows?

I think it's a combo of genetics and how they were brought up. So, both unhealthy lifestyle and not so good genes for some of them.

The Duggar boys aren't handsome to me, not a one of them is what I would call handsome, and it's not just one age group, it's each one of them. All of them have JB's huge teeth and most have really bad hair, probably due to the DIY home haircuts.

The ragged haircuts don't help their hairline issues. Also, most of them look like they've never been outdoors in the sunshine even for a short time,or exercised, or even taken care of their skin. They are so much more homely than the Bates boys, for comparison, but worlds ahead of the tragic Rodrigues boys ( and girls too).

The Duggar girls can get away with paleness and look better- oh, what am I saying? It's their makeup troweled on. :oops: But, to me, the girls are the ones who won the genetic lottery. ( Josie may be the exception but I can't snark on the littlest little).

In the People shoot, the oldest girls and Michelle don't appear to be wearing tons of makeup and I think they are all very pretty. I know the photos were re-touched, etc., but I am not sure you can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse simply with airbrushing. :)

I never thought Michelle would or could look so nice ( even with airbrushing) at 48 because we've seen her in the puke green shirt and an old skirt for so long. I know others have said this, but I really hope she got to keep the dress and jacket and that she will wear the ensemble the next time they have a big to-do ( like a wedding).

She seems to have a more genuinely positive outlook recently as well. I was LOLing at her in the thrift store with the furniture. I've never seen her show any interest in furniture or decorating before except those big "positive word" plaques in the TTH and of course, the manger thing at Christmas, oops, the Jesus birthday party.

With that many kids it isn't wonder that they look worn out. Apart from Michelle and JB and maybe Josie all kids still in TTH do more than they should based on their ages. And Jana, Jinger and Joy just do too much. There was no childhood or care free teens. Jill still seems to take care of her buddy team and with being pregnant and all I would be suprised if she looked rested. Josh seems to fear future and taking care of more kids. Anna however seems to enjoy kids and responsibility of her own home. Jessa has made cleaner break from her buddy team than Jill and had 4 months of alone time.

I also think that in case of Duggars genetics play big part. Western society seems to consider different things pretty with girls than with boys. Duggar genes just seem to suit girls better,

(This is my first post here. Please overlook my spelling and grammar mistakes as English isn't my native language)

Families like this often seem to be headed by ugly, insecure men with damaged egos who think they're entitled to a beautiful, submissive woman; then they manage to find someone fragile enough to play that role. I would say several of those qualities do describe Michelle and Jim Bob - Jim Bob's not ugly, but I think he has a very fragile ego and realized he hit the jackpot when he met a damaged, insecure woman who "needed him" desperately at 17. Michelle just loooves to stroke that ego.

I snort-laughed when the girls talked about how quick and simple their morning routines were. Are you kidding me? I want Jessa to look me straight in the eye and tell me that she can style her waist-length hair into perfect waves AND do her makeup in 15 minutes. And have we even once seen Jana when she wasn't flawless? I hate that women still feel pressure to pass this illusion where not only are they beautiful 24/7, but it's SO EASY! It's just natural! :roll: There is nothing wrong with enjoying doing your hair and makeup and wearing clothes you feel good in. I wish they would stop having to apologize for it and make excuses about how they're "not trying" to look beautiful and how "inner beauty" is all that matters. What a shitty message to send to little girls who DO NOT look like Jessa; all you have to do is roll out of bed and spend 15 minutes on your hair and makeup and you will look like us!

Michelle really does look amazing, all things considered. She's got a Jinger-level tan going on these days, and obviously her hair...and clothes...are not exactly my style. But she does look healthy, has great skin, seems to be at least moderately physically active. Then again, she has a team of slaves raising her children for her, so I guess it's not that surprising that she looks healthy and rested since on most days her schedule probably consists of tanning, using the elliptical, checking in with Jana once or twice to make sure all the kids are still alive, and servicing Jim Bob. :ew:

I think the right haircut for each person would do wonders for them. Jana could rock a layered bob, and the boys could grow their hair out and have actual STYLES.

Analyzing looks is petty and not exactly fair game. Their beliefs are fair game.

Plus, why is it not OK to call someone out for being fat, but calling someone ugly just because you aren't attracted to them is cool beans? Huh.

I would say that they all look ok, except for Josh and JD who are overweight. I have nothing against overweight ppl, the problem that I have with the Duggars is that they do not allow their kids to play sports thus keeping up with the fitness level. Even when Michelle or Joy tried to do some work outs, they had to do it in skirts. It pisses me off how they deprive the kids of the ability to stay healthy. Its especially stressfull since the girls will have to pop out kid after kid later in life and they dont even get to train their bodies to stay in shape properly. Also boys are not motivated to stay healthy and fit. There are different families out there with different lifestyles and I dont mean to judge on anyone but when the Duggars limit their kids lives for religious reasons, it pisses me off so bad.

I imagine that some of the married "kids" are tasting freedom for the first time. Like what most kids do as teenagers or when they go off to college. Set your own bedtime. Sleep all day, stay up all night (I'd say party all night, but Duggars....). We're just seeing this in their faces because they're lucky/unlucky enough to be on TV.

Even accounting for the pressure of having to look perfect, I've always found most fundie women generally better looking than the men, though I'm generally much pickier about men's looks than women, so maybe it's just that. Derrick does look tired, but a)he has a newborn and b)he has those deep-set/sunken eyes---he's never going to look well-rested no matter what's going on in his life.

Michelle--I have a hard time seeing past the hair. She looks good, sure, but she still looks her age. And that's not an insult at all, I just don't think she looks remarkably young for her age.

For whatever reason, I see this alot in fundie world...the girls are far prettier and more personable than their counterparts. Probably the only exception here would be Derick and Jill as far as looks go. I think Jill did well for herself with the looks department as far as Derick is concerned. Spirit wise, I'd say she totally drives the boat though and he still has no clue who he is.

But for the most part, look at Jessa...Ben married up and no lie.

Although I can't stand her voice, parenting skills, fake humility, etc...Michelle is by far in a different realm than JB. Go back and look at her pics with him when they're young. She was spirited, had a normal life, fashionable, and very pretty and he is boring and controlling and below average looking. I'm sure he used the guilt of her previous relationships (although I'm sure by most standards they were probably quite innocent) to make her feel less wholesome and insecure (Gothard at it's finest).

Then go back and look at some of their first t.v. specials. Her whole outward appearance was stuck in the prairie look. I'm convinced she felt that the way her family dressed was wholesome and appealing and probably only got out of prairie land because of so much viewer ship pressure from TLC.

Look at the Rodrigues pair. I can't stand JIll R. I really can't and her makeup and hair yuck! But even pregnant with the 12th kid, she looks FAR better than her husband. I know this does occur from time to time in the real world, but in fundieland it seems to occur ALOT.

I'm sorry, I just don't find the Duggar girls pretty at all. Jessa's lower jaw sticks out way too much. The amount of makeup caked on all of their faces is clownish.

I agree, I think Michelle looks her age BUT if she would stop tanning, she would look younger. I also noticed that and aged considerably over the last 4 years. I think all the pregnancy hormones kept her looking young, and now that she is reaching menopause, it's all catching up with her. She looked great in the people mag photo shoot, too bad she won't continue the look. My mother in law Michelle's age but she still looks like she is in her late 30s or early 40s and I truly believe it's because she doesn't tan, because of that, I won't ever tan again and I will use sunscreen. It sucks being pasty white but it will pay off in the coming years. I'm 30 and already have age spots!

Analyzing looks is petty and not exactly fair game. Their beliefs are fair game.

Plus, why is it not OK to call someone out for being fat, but calling someone ugly just because you aren't attracted to them is cool beans? Huh.

The Duggars are paid a lot of money to be on a television show and those of us who have cable put the money in their pocket. They aren't just Joe Blow and his wife who live down the street, they are PAID entertainers with access to stylists and make-up artists. Most people on a reality TV show get better looking as the years go by because they want to keep their viewers but apparently the Duggar boys don't give a shit about their looks. That's why I have always said that the Duggar males are of little interest to the viewers and the show really revolves around the youngest children and the 5 oldest girls.

Handmaiden, have to disagree with you. I don't watch any show on TV to watch people NOT age (to be pumped up full of toxins just to be on TV doesn't appeal to me). I don't expect for them all to be pretty, skinny with great skin, hair and the best clothes. Honestly, I think it would be better if people on TV were shown more lifelike than plastic dollish.

Archived