IGNORED

7 Reasons to Pay More for Young Living Essential Oils

16strong

AKA 7 Reasons to not buy heathen oils from *gasp* grocery stores

1. You might purchase something that's not Young Living brand. And it might cost less. Fuck you for not supporting our pyramid scheme.

2. You can't be a pretentious snob with the rest of us (who pay extra for our oils).

3. They might occasionally be expired, and you might be stupid enough not to read the label. Also, grocery store oils aren't safe for consumption, even though YL oils probably aren't, either.

4. You don't know where they came from or where they were grown. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAlWrT5P2VI.

5. They don't work as well, because the more you pay, the higher the placebo effect.

6. Grocery store brands don't give a shit about you. Young Living Essential Oils pays their customer service workers $.51 an hour instead of $.50. Also, the call center is located in India instead of Cambodia.

7. There are less ways to waste your money. Young Living slaps different labels on the same thing. Don't you want a beautiful rainbow display for your newly-remodeled master bathroom?

Link from our beloved Lisa Pennington per her Pennington Point Facebook page. Faith's situation has not slowed her crazy train. If anything, the brake broke and it's heading straight downhill. Also, I got banned. :lol:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AKA 7 Reasons to not buy heathen oils from *gasp* grocery stores

snip

4. You don't know where they came from or where they were grown. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAlWrT5P2VI.

5. They don't work as well, because the more you pay, the higher the placebo effect.

Great list! #4 and 5 were my favorites.

Make sure you view the video from #4. What a hoot! I grew up in Portland--It's not far off at all.

I have noticed that Essiental Oils are all the rage among my conservative christian friends. Would this count being a double standard? One of the friends gets total butt hurt if you mention horoscopes or crystals or anything meta-phyiscal, she says she doesnt believe in it.. And that its satanic.

But she is ga-ga over the oils. hates harry potter, but loves narnia.. What because of the only christian reference of saying "Sons of Adam, Daughters of Eve"?

Slap some proverbs on the bottle label and consider it good? Isnt it the same thing? lol :think:

I asked her about the placebo affect. And she had no idea what that ment. So i explained it to her.. And she was enraged with me saying.. Oh no! it works cause I feel better! :angry-banghead:

The only EO I have tried was tea tree oil (I heard it helps with acne). But I trust Whole Foods. They have high standards and are picky about what they allow in their store. I cannot imagine Young Living Oils are that much superior than the ones in Whole Foods.

I use lavender EO to help with headaches and tea tree oil for eczema on my scalp, but I much prefer the Pharmaca brand (Pharmaca is an integrative pharmacy, carrying both regular medications and alternative. I love their store brand oils.) It's much cheaper and I can get advice from the pharmacist when I need it on how to combine my regular meds and the oils. These MLM oils scare me, and the reps are badly trained on safety issues.

What's the deal with fundies and essential oils? Does it have a " Biblical " basis? Trendier than Amway? Inquiring minds want to know.

What's the deal with fundies and essential oils? Does it have a " Biblical " basis? Trendier than Amway? Inquiring minds want to know.

i'm guessing just the next stage of crunchy. DIY healthcare, to one-up the idea of the ACA by staying healthy on their own terms.

i think that homeopathy and eo's do work, but imho the current rabid following comes from backlash.

Ok, I feel stupid but what exactly are essential oils? You drink them? Rub them into your skin? I have only heard of them on FJ.

Just a preference for natural vs. conventional pharmaceutical is my guess.

Love Young Living oils, btw. Have personally used other oils which did not provide me with the level of result I was seeking. Also do appreciate some of the ways I am able to gauge trust of a "natural" company (if one cares about the need to trust what he/she uses on the body as "natural", that is.)

We are having very good results with Cypress oil for Cerebral Palsy related bedwetting, Thieves oil for immune boosting (my kids are definitely sick less often since beginning that regimen), peppermint oil for my dd's headaches, and chemical-free for air refreshing and purification (as opposed to Glade plug-ins, candles, etc.) Just a few examples.

I don't love everything about Young Living, but I am very satisfied with much of my own personal experience with the oils and company, not because I'm on anyone's bandwagon, but because I cared about the science behind essential oil use (RN), and I took the time to research different companies before deciding on Young Living (important to do in an industry that is self-regulated, imo.)

I can't answer, but I have a fundy cousin who is all about her oils. That is all she talks about. At Christmas, she trotted out her supply for us to oooh and aaah over. I worry, because she shuns modern medicine yet last week she was bragging about how she believed her daughter had influenza and her oils cured her. :angry-banghead:

I can't answer, but I have a fundy cousin who is all about her oils. That is all she talks about. At Christmas, she trotted out her supply for us to oooh and aaah over. I worry, because she shuns modern medicine yet last week she was bragging about how she believed her daughter had influenza and her oils cured her. :angry-banghead:

It's unfortunate that some, like your cousin, cannot find value in integrative approaches, as both can be beneficial (or harmful, if used the wrong way.)

There is actually good science behind her belief that oils can help battle influenza, though. Thieves oil, for example, has been studied and shown to produce effective antibacterial results.

Melaleuca and others have chemical constituents that lend themselves to prooviding antiviral, antifungal, and antiseptic properties, just to name a few. They are, in effect, immune boosters, much in the same way that products like Airborne claim to be.

The only experience I have with EO is the rose geranium oil that I out on my dog's collars to deter ticks. It seems to work because she doesn't get ticks when we remember to apply it.

The only experience I have with EO is the rose geranium oil that I out on my dog's collars to deter ticks. It seems to work because she doesn't get ticks when we remember to apply it.

Have had success with this and with lemon oil as well, as a tick repellant (lemon oil, white vinegar, and water, misted lightly onto coat.)

i'm guessing just the next stage of crunchy. DIY healthcare, to one-up the idea of the ACA by staying healthy on their own terms.

i think that homeopathy and eo's do work, but imho the current rabid following comes from backlash.

I agree. Most of my more conservative family members have jumped on the herbs and EO bandwagon. I do use some of these things for minor ailments and have had good results, but they can be dangerous when misused. I have a cousin who talks about the oils she uses when pregnant and I just cringe. My OB is very open to blending natural and conventional medicine, but she also goes over the list of EOs you can use and how much more you have to dilute them. I'm pretty sure that a lot of folks who deal only with MLM reps don't get that information.

Ok, I feel stupid but what exactly are essential oils? You drink them? Rub them into your skin? I have only heard of them on FJ.

Mostly they are used in aromatherapy or to scent things like soap or lotion. A few have other practical uses. Some are added to cleaning products. Some are diluted and applied topically to help with skin problems.

The only thing in the Bible about oils is that they were used for anointing. So when the prophet Samuel goes to find the new king for Israel, he puts oil on the king's head to show that this guy has been chosen as the new king. Or in the New Testament it speaks about being anointed with oil when you are sick. But the thing is, that could be any kind of oil. My church uses olive or almond, just a basic unscented oil from the supermarket, transferred into a small bottle because you only ever need a tiny bit at a time. And there isn't any actual power in the oil itself, it's just a symbol of God working and healing etc (quite often used as a symbol of the Holy Spirit). Biblically speaking, the power is in the prayer, so it doesn't matter what kind of oil you use at all.

I use essential oils to make lavender bags (to put under the kids' pillows at night) and to disinfect the washing machine, and I would want to use good quality ones, but that's my only stipulation!

There is no scientific case for homeopathy: the debate is over

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... s-placebos

A huge study (& every scientific study before) shows they are no better than a placebo.

But hey placebos have their place. A Disney bandaid makes a kid feel better about their scrape. A dab of something can help you feel less stressed.

A huge study (& every scientific study before) shows they are no better than a placebo.

But hey placebos have their place. A Disney bandaid makes a kid feel better about their scrape. A dab of something can help you feel less stressed.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know the difference between homeopathy as a practice and essential oils.

What amazes me is the fundies seem to "discover' this kind of nonsense n a regular basis. Basically I think it's the can't afford proper healthcare for my blessings so....

I remember using tea tree oil decades ago for breakouts. Dropping lavender in the bath etc. tea tree obviously works well as do some others. I just don't get why all of a sudden it's the in thing?

Thank you for pointing this out.

I think that most people who believe that homeopathy has any efficacy have probably not looked into what homeopathy actually is. When you find out that homeopathy by definition involves diluting ingredients to the point that they're just selling you plain water, it is clear that any benefit that people perceive from it is from placebo effect.

As for essential oils, I am FB acquaintances with a fundie-light woman who has recently gotten onto this bandwagon and has been posting things on FB about how essential oils are a miracle cure for all kinds of stuff. She even posted about making essential oil suppositories for the whole family recently. She literally went right from fanatically singing the praises of Trim Healthy Mama to fanatically singing the praises of essential oils. It took a while for me to realize that both THM and essential oils are fundie fads.

She seems like a sweet woman, but her posts about religion, THM, and essential oil involve such zeal that I literally have suspected that she may be hypomanic.

Between this and Zeal, I am getting tired of my family's posts on FB. I have lavender and lily of the valley oils and I use them to make air fresheners. I'd rather buy only the ones I need from a retailer.

I'm amused. My secular humanist cousin introduced me to essential oils a couple of years ago. doTerra not Young Whatever. I am a believer. By the way, same cousin introduced me to past lives and other ideas that helped me down the path to heathenville.

She has stopped with doTerra because, per her, the thing works on a pyramid scheme type plan hence the you turn around and everyone you know is selling the stuff aspect of some of these companies. I went through the same thing about five to seven years ago only it was Acai Berry Juice I believe.

I laugh hysterically at people on my facebook who are just now into essential oils. To think that just a few short years ago I was obviously on the bus to hell for using them and OMG candles. :cracking-up:

I just love the slap a Christian saying or make it homophobic (a la Chick Fil A) and you can grab that Christian and Xtian Fundie market. Hey maybe we should get together and bundle up something snowflake special to sell to these people??? :cracking-up:

Archived