IGNORED

7 Reasons to Pay More for Young Living Essential Oils

16strong

So my idiot sister-in-law is hosting a Young Living Essential Oils event at her yoga studio later this month.

It will include "zyto scans". Hadn't heard of that. Googled it and once again find myself asking if she is really dumb enough to believe this stuff.

She is, by the way, not at all fundy, but, rather, "spiritual but not religious" and finds her "path in yoga".

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So my idiot sister-in-law is hosting a Young Living Essential Oils event at her yoga studio later this month.

It will include "zyto scans". Hadn't heard of that. Googled it and once again find myself asking if she is really dumb enough to believe this stuff.

She is, by the way, not at all fundy, but, rather, "spiritual but not religious" and finds her "path in yoga".

Well, she is full of it. Asana in a studio is not yoga (and of course based on your description I am assuming most of her "path" is limited to a single limb), and using Young Living essential oils in the nutty ways championed by the MLMs is contrary to aryuveda:

http://www.atreya.com/ayurveda/The-use- ... ls-in.html

Just the fact that aryuveda consider these uses of oils contraindicated tells me she is not following a big part of the first limb, yama, which is ahisma. Do no harm to yourself or others. Shilling oils is harmful and using oils in this particularly western context is harmful to both self and others. She needs to reconsider her path.

Someone needs to start a business selling electronic homeopathic remedies. You buy it and they email you a piece of paper you dunk in the bottle of water provided by yourself. After all, the email has electrons that maybe were at one time in the 'active principle' or whatever they call it and when you print it out they magically contagious transfer. Or something.

This reminded me of one of my early WTF moments with some of my inlaws, 30 years ago.

Suddenly, there appeared in several homes a magic machine that would make "everything better" by changing the "spin" of the water or food that you put on the machine. Note, the machine never came in contact with the water, you just set the pitcher on the little device, turned on a switch and waited. And the water was magically purified. :?

What was most magical about this device was that, per the instructions at the time, if put the picture of someone who was sick on the device and turned it on, the person's "spin" would improve and they would get better.

' :pink-shock:

Now, my husband and I had laughed our asses off about the water pitcher, but when people we loved (not just the really fundie nutjobs) were putting pictures of some friends on this thing, we were at a loss. What kind of superstitious mumbo jumbo was this. :nenner:

Well, it was the kind of superstitious mumbo jumbo that led to one neighbor being charged with practicing medicine without a license by selling this (in what may have been an MLM, don't know details) and eventually the various owners we knew of this thing put them away. But one relative was pretty sure that putting her friend's picture on it had helped the friend recover from some ailment. :?

I googled to see if I could find it and there are dozens of water fixer/cure alls, but apparently they learned they could not get away with the whole picture cure thing... cause I can't find anything on a cursory search. Though it may be hidden in the verbiage of some page or another.

Well, she is full of it. Asana in a studio is not yoga (and of course based on your description I am assuming most of her "path" is limited to a single limb), and using Young Living essential oils in the nutty ways championed by the MLMs is contrary to aryuveda:

http://www.atreya.com/ayurveda/The-use- ... ls-in.html

Just the fact that aryuveda consider these uses of oils contraindicated tells me she is not following a big part of the first limb, yama, which is ahisma. Do no harm to yourself or others. Shilling oils is harmful and using oils in this particularly western context is harmful to both self and others. She needs to reconsider her path.

Oh, she does plenty of harm. She talked her dad into not doing physical therapy for a minor shoulder injury a few years ago because, according to her, physical therapists are in a conspiracy with orthopedists to injure people so they will need surgery. It got worse and worse until he had major rotator cuff surgery today which has forced him into early retirement.

She is now marketing private instruction with her as a "holistic alternative" to physical therapy for surgery rehab and injuries. At the hospital today, my mother-in-law said they aren't sure how long FiL will do his PT as they may just let idiot SiL be in charge of his rehab. We did our best to explain why a real physical therapist will be crucial to his recovery.

She also is claiming that she can cure cancer and heart disease with yoga. She went to a weekend seminar for that. Because 12 hours of yoga babble is all you need to cure cancer. Not sure why oncologists waste so much time and money on education and research. :pink-shock:

Oh, she does plenty of harm. She talked her dad into not doing physical therapy for a minor shoulder injury a few years ago because, according to her, physical therapists are in a conspiracy with orthopedists to injure people so they will need surgery. It got worse and worse until he had major rotator cuff surgery today which has forced him into early retirement.

She is now marketing private instruction with her as a "holistic alternative" to physical therapy for surgery rehab and injuries. At the hospital today, my mother-in-law said they aren't sure how long FiL will do his PT as they may just let idiot SiL be in charge of his rehab. We did our best to explain why a real physical therapist will be crucial to his recovery.

She also is claiming that she can cure cancer and heart disease with yoga. She went to a weekend seminar for that. Because 12 hours of yoga babble is all you need to cure cancer. Not sure why oncologists waste so much time and money on education and research. :pink-shock:

The owner of my yoga studio does health-related work - she calls it theraputic yoga. But she directly trained with BKS Iyenagar at least annually for a month for 40 years in India and holds one of his highest certifications. She also has done years of training with a teacher who is a real, successful physical therapist with degrees and stuff from actual schools. She does things like help people get relief from back pain, carpel tunnel, scoliosis. She always wants - as does every teacher in her studio - to know what a doctor says about a condition, what medical advice is being followed, what treatment plan they are following. We have cancer patients, pregnant women, people with missing limbs and more in the studio, receiving a COMPLEMENTARY therapy based in yoga, not an instead of. I have heard her basically turn people away who want yoga as a cure-all and who don't really know what their doctor might think about yoga and their conditions. Because it is not a cure-all. It can help with lots of things, but it sure as hell cannot replacement real treatment. Your SIL is dangerous and frankly, anti-yogic.

I work her front desk once a week and I have to be super cautious about who I allow to take certain classes because she wants people to enjoy and do what is best for their bodies. I ask personal questions of new students and call in the teachers when there are uncertainties. Because in all things do no harm to self or others.

The owner of my yoga studio does health-related work - she calls it theraputic yoga. But she directly trained with BKS Iyenagar at least annually for a month for 40 years in India and holds one of his highest certifications. She also has done years of training with a teacher who is a real, successful physical therapist with degrees and stuff from actual schools. She does things like help people get relief from back pain, carpel tunnel, scoliosis. She always wants - as does every teacher in her studio - to know what a doctor says about a condition, what medical advice is being followed, what treatment plan they are following. We have cancer patients, pregnant women, people with missing limbs and more in the studio, receiving a COMPLEMENTARY therapy based in yoga, not an instead of. I have heard her basically turn people away who want yoga as a cure-all and who don't really know what their doctor might think about yoga and their conditions. Because it is not a cure-all. It can help with lots of things, but it sure as hell cannot replacement real treatment. Your SIL is dangerous and frankly, anti-yogic.

I work her front desk once a week and I have to be super cautious about who I allow to take certain classes because she wants people to enjoy and do what is best for their bodies. I ask personal questions of new students and call in the teachers when there are uncertainties. Because in all things do no harm to self or others.

The problem is that there are so many part time yoga teacher training programs that are turning out poorly trained people. Her training program was basically 16 weekends of two six hour days. She was also supposed to do an additional 200 hours of practice with a licensed teacher and, I kid you not, after completing less than half of that, she traded coffee beans for her final certification. The program director actually agreed to that. She went to an 8 hour workshop that allegedly certified her to teach children, a 12 hour one that allegedly certified her to teach pregnant women, and a 12 hour one that led her to believe she can treat and cure cancer and heart disease. She has had no additional training regarding managing injuries. She has convinced her parents that the four hour course (literally four hours, not like four hours of college credit) on anatomy in her initial training makes her an expert (and other people as well--via the studio's FB page, 18 people registered for her shoulder injury workshop). And there are two more teachers with similar "training" teaching in her studio.

I'm not going to get involved in the thread about yoga in schools, but I would ask serious questions if I had a child in school and someone was brought it to teach yoga. I would not want a child of mine being exposed to it if it were a poorly trained teacher and if a bunch of pseudoscience and anti-medical crap was going to be taught. My sister-in-law has been after her local school district to let her in, and they have ignored her so far. Parents should ask questions.

Oh, I agree. I take yoga training seriously. You need to send letters to the school about your wackamole SIL. 200 hours is not enough for a certification. Iyengar teacher have 1000s of hours to get certifications.

Just to APPLY for the first level requires a minimum of three years of study under a certified teacher!

https://iynaus.org/assessment/iynaus-ce ... ion-levels

The director of my studio is certified at Intermediate Senior I, granted directly from BKS Iyengar. To maintain certifications at the higher levels (which seems to be what your SIL thinks she is) you have to spend time at the Iyengar school in India once at year! Kathleen's certification is only this high after 40 years! She has only recently started teaching theraputic because it is hard to get the certification that allowed it.

Oh, I agree. I take yoga training seriously. You need to send letters to the school about your wackamole SIL. 200 hours is not enough for a certification. Iyengar teacher have 1000s of hours to get certifications.

Just to APPLY for the first level requires a minimum of three years of study under a certified teacher!

https://iynaus.org/assessment/iynaus-ce ... ion-levels

The director of my studio is certified at Intermediate Senior I, granted directly from BKS Iyengar. To maintain certifications at the higher levels (which seems to be what your SIL thinks she is) you have to spend time at the Iyengar school in India once at year! Kathleen's certification is only this high after 40 years! She has only recently started teaching theraputic because it is hard to get the certification that allowed it.

Unfortunately, since yoga became the latest exercise fad in this country, the "standard" for many places has been the 200 hour Yoga Alliance certification (which is what SiL --sort of--got). For example, that certification is all places like YMCAs ask for when hiring instructors and I know of only one studio in our area that has staff trained beyond that. Even worse, that is the only certification the people who trained SiL have and she has now been involved in training new teachers. I have seen a lot of push back around the web about how such minimal standards is hurting yoga and is dangerous to clients. Googling just now, I see that prospective teachers can do that certification online, now. I have nothing against online education (I've done online graduate credits that are demanding and well taught). But this is not an area where anyone should be getting only online instruction. When I was in PT last year for a knee injury, my therapist went off on the whole topic as their clinic sees many people now who injured (or re-injured) themselves in the hands of poorly trained yoga teachers who think they know more than they do. They offer PT and personal trainer services at the local Jewish Community Center and successfully pressured them to find better trained teachers or not offer yoga.

I have nothing against yoga (I find I do not like it as an exercise regime, though, and that meditation/relaxation in a room full of people does not work for me); but I do find the current yoga fad dangerous because of these issues.

Unfortunately, since yoga became the latest exercise fad in this country, the "standard" for many places has been the 200 hour Yoga Alliance certification (which is what SiL --sort of--got). For example, that certification is all places like YMCAs ask for when hiring instructors and I know of only one studio in our area that has staff trained beyond that. Even worse, that is the only certification the people who trained SiL have and she has now been involved in training new teachers. I have seen a lot of push back around the web about how such minimal standards is hurting yoga and is dangerous to clients. Googling just now, I see that prospective teachers can do that certification online, now. I have nothing against online education (I've done online graduate credits that are demanding and well taught). But this is not an area where anyone should be getting only online instruction. When I was in PT last year for a knee injury, my therapist went off on the whole topic as their clinic sees many people now who injured (or re-injured) themselves in the hands of poorly trained yoga teachers who think they know more than they do. They offer PT and personal trainer services at the local Jewish Community Center and successfully pressured them to find better trained teachers or not offer yoga.

I have nothing against yoga (I find I do not like it as an exercise regime, though, and that meditation/relaxation in a room full of people does not work for me); but I do find the current yoga fad dangerous because of these issues.

Sadly I think this is pretty spot on. The yoga instructor at my YMCA clicks around in high heeled boots. Its quite distracting.

My PT said, after I'd finished my sessions with her, to be careful with any exercise classes, especially yoga. And I went to one session on campus -- and the class was led by a current undergrad student. She was nice, but not as experienced as I wanted; she had some certification, but.

Re: essential oils and their therapeutic effects against bacteria (including known resistant strains), research is ongoing and incoming results are encouraging. Fleming could not initially produce a concentrated extract of penicillin either (even though he had witnessed its antibacterial properties) so it was doubted as having any therapeutic effects. Love clove essential oil as an immune booster, based on our personal experience with it.

www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_art ... so&tlng=en

I've got a question for any peeps who knows a bit about EOs. Are there any oils that work for dog flea/tic prevention or as a repellent? Our dogs get all their yearly vaccs plus the Lyme disease one but I refuse to use chemical preps for flea and tic. Our five month old pup suffered a seizure four hours after placing the seresto collar on him last year. I've tried to research a bit about this but keep getting conflicting info. Also, which medium would you recommend mixing the oils in? Some say witch hazel and others say spring water. The more I read the more confused I become :shrug:

Ok, I feel stupid but what exactly are essential oils? You drink them? Rub them into your skin? I have only heard of them on FJ.

Essential Oils are the extraction of natural oil from various plants/flowers. Some are toxic, some have antibacterial properties, most are used in aromatherapy. Common flowers or plants shouldn't be expensive per ounce. The cost is driven by the quantity of plants, the quality of the plant, & how many it takes to to distill the oil. It can be from the hundreds of plants to thousands. YLO is an old company that had always been a multi-level company. They down talk any other oil distributor. DoTerra was started by one of the owners main managers when they got into a feud. The guy took YL's distillation methods & opened his own company.

It only takes .5 distillation to create a "pure" oil. The US has no actual guidelines for EO's, they are not recognized by the FDA for any medicinal or therapeutic benefit.

Personally. I use the hell out of them, have for almost 20 years. II'll use them in diffusers & topically. I do not ingest them as most of them are not meant for internal use. A blatant lie that YL teaches it's marketers. A good friend of mine jumped on the YL bandwagon this past year. She wouldn't listen to anything I told her BC it wasn't in the books she bought from the company. It's just another flavor of Kool-Aid for the easily led.

I've got a question for any peeps who knows a bit about EOs. Are there any oils that work for dog flea/tic prevention or as a repellent? Our dogs get all their yearly vaccs plus the Lyme disease one but I refuse to use chemical preps for flea and tic. Our five month old pup suffered a seizure four hours after placing the seresto collar on him last year. I've tried to research a bit about this but keep getting conflicting info. Also, which medium would you recommend mixing the oils in? Some say witch hazel and others say spring water. The more I read the more confused I become :shrug:

I would go with witch hazel. It's what I've read (and oil/water don't mix which is why when mixing with water you need to mix with a non-oil first).

I use essential oils.

A lot of them I use as aroma therapy (along with incense).

1 I take internal in the form of a beadlet (for immue system).

Others I apply topically, these include doTerra (it is the oils my cousin introduced me to) Deep Blue in both oil and rub form, Balance (a doTerra blend), Serenity (on my hands), and I will put a tiny bit of a mix I make of Melaleuca (Tea Tree Oil) and Lavender just inside my nostrils because it seems to help with allergic type breathing issues.

Eucalyptus oil repels fleas, citrus oils like lemon, bergamot, or various kinds of orange repel mosquitoes. For ticks you can use lavender oil. Mind you they only repel, they do not kill. For bigger dogs, 40 lbs & up you can use 2-3 drops down the spine from neck to tail. I didn't dilute mine & my dogs are fine. Small dogs I'd say one drop every half inch or so from neck to tail. If you dilute, you can use sweet almond oil, grape seed oil, or even olive oil. If you have a small medicine cup or dropper, try one drop per ml.

I wouldn't rely on EO's for tick repellents. I have found that they are pretty hardy and manage to avoid all but the strongest stuff, we have to used advantix on our dogs or else they end up with ticks all over the place, and they drop them in the house, and my son is highly allergic to tick bites so every tick bite lands him in the ER.

Depending on the area you live in, it could be better or worse, but where we lived in Germany, and where we live now in NY, there are ticks everywhere already. We have pulled several off the dogs and have to do the advantix treatment this weekend when they can spend a few hours outside.

And the only thing that kept ticks and mosquitos away when we paintballed in the woods was the OFF! Deep Woods spray.

I get wanting to go natural where possible, but ticks aren't one area I can afford to take a chance with.

Archived