IGNORED

Chaz Bono on DWTS: Conservative hatred is showing

3 is enough

So I read some comments on the fb page that made a big point of parents worrying how to explain Chaz to their small children.

Umm...

Chaz looks like a man. Why is there anything to explain to small children?

Good point. How would a child who doesn't know who he is (and why would a child know who Chaz Bono is?) know that he was formerly female?

And the comment about "smooching" is so dumb. I haven't seen much of the show, but I don't think "smooching" is a big part of it.

I would think that watching Dancing With the Stars in general, even if everyone is straight and cis-gendered, would be more inappropriate for children than simply seeing Chaz Bono.

I would think that watching Dancing With the Stars in general, even if everyone is straight and cis-gendered, would be more inappropriate for children than simply seeing Chaz Bono.

As someone who has never seen it (other than clips on HLN when Bristol Palin was causing a hootananie), why do you say that? Because of the outfits or something else? Truly curious.

As someone who has never seen it (other than clips on HLN when Bristol Palin was causing a hootananie), why do you say that? Because of the outfits or something else? Truly curious.

I don't watch it either, but I know my conservative parents won't let my siblings watch it because of the revealing outfits and sexy dancing. My mom decided to stop watching completely after she saw Kendra Wilkinson dance.

I was just mildly surprised to see that people horrified at the idea of their children seeing Chaz on tv let their kids watch the show in the first place.

I think it's due to some of the 'sexier' dances and some of the costuming. But I've seen conservative parents that let their kids watch DWtS and it used to be endorsed by the Parents' Television Council as wholesome programming.

Guest Anonymous
Here are some of the mean comments on that page for those who don't want to put themselves through that or who don't have facebook:

Sorry, I thought that would be the last one but then I read this:

And I could not help myself. Since God makes no mistakes I guess we should never ever have surgery for anything. Too bad about your appendix, God doesn't make mistakes.

Edited because quoting can be troublesome.

By these standards, having surgery to repair cleft palates, club feet and congenital holes in the heart is also sinful. As other posters on other threads have said, the stupid-it BURNS!

Hey, we endured through Tom DeLay and Bristol Palin. Payback's a bitch, dear fundie friends.

Yes,, some people ARE crazy. Bat shit crazy. And scary. 'Cause if these folks get control of our government, who's on DWTS will be the least of our concerns.

And DWTS as FAMILY entertainment?? No young child of mine would be watching the show anyways, because of the sexual choreography and what Anna T. and the other women wear. NOT because of what Chaz Bono is wearing.

There is nothing worse on this show anymore than Bruno and his antics. Has nothing to do with him being gay and everything to do with the obscene amount of sexual innuendos he makes. I did not care for Kendra one bit last year and I still wanted to slap him silly for some of the things he said to her. I'm about the least prudish person around and I find him crass, inappropriate, and disgusting.

As for the conservatives, pfft. Those who are talking about Chaz being gay (and um, he isn't) obviously do not watch the show, or choose to gloss over all of the other gay participants. Shouldn't they be happy that Chaz isn't gay? He's now a man who dates a woman! What more do these people want? They should be cheering him on for doing everything possible to not be gay.*

*I'm well aware that being gay/straight has nothing to do with it, but conservative windbags probably don't.

If I was going to be upset at anyone on DWTS, it would be that harpie Nancy Grace.

Word. My mom loves DWTS and I often get stuck watching when I visit. SHe's now been informed that I won't be doing that until that shrill harpy is off the show. (And i hate the term shrill harpy - I think it's kinda sexist - so you can tell I REALLY hate her.)

Is it wrong to hope that all the conservatives stop watching and they cancel the show? I know that would say something terrible about America and make Chaz feel bad and discourage the networks from having trans people, but... I really, really hate DWTS and it kills good scripted television shows.

HOnestly, this isn't surprising. My dad is about as liberal as you get and has no problem with teh gayz, but he doesn't like transgendered people. Well, that's not exactly true. He just doesn't think a man can ever really be a woman or vice versa. He doesn't discriminate, he just thinks it's stupid and fake.

@Melissa Brock Fredrick Yes the Bible says to respect people and treat them equally, but it also says homosexuality is a sin. And "changing" yourself from female to male by mutilating your body and taking testosterone is also a sin.....

I'd really be interested in knowing exactly which verse it is in the bible that says taking testosterone is a sin.

HOnestly, this isn't surprising. My dad is about as liberal as you get and has no problem with teh gayz, but he doesn't like transgendered people. Well, that's not exactly true. He just doesn't think a man can ever really be a woman or vice versa. He doesn't discriminate, he just thinks it's stupid and fake.

Sounds a little like transphobia to me, honestly, and like you, not all that surprised. I've encountered a lot of really liberal people who can't get over the physical sex trumping the mental/emotional gender, etc.

this is a fasnicating topic for me solely because it makes me think, and I like things that make me think :) I had to ask Dr. Sev about the transgender and gay concept to make sure I had the correct idea. Haha, I had to laugh- Dr. Sev was confused that Cher had a son. "No, Chastity had trans surgery, now he's Chaz. He likes chicks, so does that make him a straight guy or gay guy cos of the surgery?" LOL. Yes, my brain isn't working yet. Sev gave me a look of "WTF, go drink your tea and turn on that brain!" while saying, "He's a guy now? Huh. Yeah, he'd be straight." and off to google he goes.

Plus, i've considered getting a degree in gender studies. This stuff is just too cool. Plus, I don't care if my kid knows about gender, more power to her if she does. (shrugs)

Hey, we endured through Tom DeLay and Bristol Palin.

Hey, Bristol's fairly inoffensive but Tom Delay's a money-laundering asshole who helped us get into the war with Iraq, I don't think it's nice to compare Chaz with him. (hey, how come they don't complain about putting insurance cheaters and theives on? How do you explain to your kids electing a Representative who steals?)

Okay, really chilling: like Bachmann, DeLay has a foster care "ministry". WTF?

I had no idea that Tom DeLay was ever on this show. :shock: I can't imagine who would want to watch him, he is sooooo slimy. Ack!

Len's not gay. But Carson Kressley (of Queer Eye fame) is, and he's a contestant too. Not a word about him, though.

Louis Van Amstel is gay, Lance Bass is gay, and Bruno is gay. It's a show about DANCING, for God's sake. There's going to be a gay connection.

I guess gay is tolerable, especially in artistic settings, but transgender is not. How very very sad.

A friend of my niece's is undergoing the transition from female to male. He has legally changed his name, has had a mastectomy, and is undergoing hormone therapy. Next up- the hysterectomy. He is the nicest guy you could hope to meet, and so happy about his transformation. He's only 18, and life has been very tough for him. Luckily he has a supportive family and friends.

If you met him for the first time, you would never guess he was born a female. I don't understand all the hatred.

I have a friend who made a similar transition 5 years ago. Before his transition he was struggling with mental health issues, now he is extremly happy with his new life, has acted in movies and tv shows and just finished getting his masters from oxford.

I understand that some people have a very strong viceral icky feeling about the idea of changing gender, even undergoing surgery but if you knew a person who was transgendered and saw the kinds of changes in their happiness, inner peace and self worth you would understand.

i don't know if i'm going to watch dwts but i'm rooting for chaz to do well.

Having reassignment surgery is difficult for me to imagine because my body and my head are congruent, so I can't imagine wanting to alter such sensitive parts of my body so drastically. But thinking about how it would feel to be me in a man's body...I'm guessing it would be pretty fucking miserable. I'll never understand transphobia...when someone goes into a panic over finding out or realizing someone else is trans, I just want to say...do you sit around and think about everyone's genitals? Because I don't. Trans people are just people.

I hope Chaz does well. This "controversy" might even piss me off enough to vote for him, something I never do because I hate Dancing With the Stars. Also, Nancy Grace will be a hilarious trainwreck, can't wait.

Fuck...just read that Chaz will be paired with Lacey Schwimmer, whom I abhor since her SYTYCD days. I don't know if I can vote for her. Hotties Hope Solo & Maxim C FTW.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... son-229796

lordy, but the comments about "i've got nothing against gays, but..." drive me nuts.

if you're not watching the show because of The Gays, or you have to announce that you "have nothing against The Gays, but...", then you are, indeed, a bigot.

I do like the pairings, for the most part! I am happy to see Derek back. I do hope he realized acting is not for him... he's quite poor at it! I am more than excited to see Val on the show now.. yay! I'm also quite shocked at how many new dancers there are this season! And I'm sad that several of my favorite pros aren't on there/are paired with people I dislike. With his partner, I think Chaz has a chance at making it at least 3 or 4 weeks. Hopefully with Nancy Grace paired with a new guy, who is alright at dancing but not spectacular nor has the flair of Val or Maks, she will go early! Here's to hoping!

Now it's even in the news.

ABC Attacked by 'DWTS' Fans Over Chaz Bono Casting

"Dancing With the Stars" aims for provocative casts, and Chaz Bono joining the show this week has already yielded strong reaction -- some of it ugly.

Bono, the only child of Sonny Bono and Cher, was born female but legally changed his gender and name last year. The announcement Monday that he would join the highly rated ABC dance competition immediately made him one of the highest-profile transgendered people in the world.

It also brought to the surface prejudices about Bono and others who have changed their gender, judging from the "Dancing With the Stars" message board. In hundreds of comments, Bono was the most common subject. (more...)

Don't assume that all conservatives who like Sarah Palin don't like or accept Chaz Bono. I'm very conservative, but I love ballroom dancing, and I'm very accepting of the GLBTA community...I have friends and/or family members in all those categories. I think it's great Chaz is going to be on DWTS and I thought he was really cool on one of those home improvement shows a few years ago (I think it was Sell This House!)

Archived