IGNORED

Chaz Bono on DWTS: Conservative hatred is showing

3 is enough

This can be moved to the Worldly Distractions discussion if necessary, but I was very saddened to see that the announcement of Chaz Bono as a cast member of Dancing with the Stars yesterday brought out all sorts of ugly, nasty, judgmental remarks.

I realize that a lot of uber-fundie families don't watch tv, but evidently the right-wing, conservative types who do are not happy about this choice. So much, "I'm not watching until Chaz goes" type posting.

So sad. There's so much hatred in this country for anyone "different".

i realize chaz is the first transsexual on DWTS, but certainly he's not the first gay...

actually, he's not gay as a man, is he? isn't his partner female?

This can be moved to the Worldly Distractions discussion if necessary, but I was very saddened to see that the announcement of Chaz Bono as a cast member of Dancing with the Stars yesterday brought out all sorts of ugly, nasty, judgmental remarks.

I realize that a lot of uber-fundie families don't watch tv, but evidently the right-wing, conservative types who do are not happy about this choice. So much, "I'm not watching until Chaz goes" type posting.

So sad. There's so much hatred in this country for anyone "different".

Very sad. Unfortunately, trans people still face huge amounts of discrimination--more so than the average member of the LGBT community.

I wish Chaz the best of luck and from what I've read about him, he has thick enough skin to deal with the haters.

I don't understand the hatred or disgust. Chaz is not hurting them or forcing them to dress as he does. How childish that they can't watch a show with someone different that than they are.

Well, I've said the same thing about certain people over the DWTS seasons. I gave up entirely the season of Tom Delay.

Of course, my dislike is based on the actions of people and not on who they are.

Want to bet a majority of people outraged at transgender Chaz Bono only started watching the show because Sarah Palin's daughter Bristol (the unwed teenage mother) was dancing?

I laugh at the people complaining about the lack of "Stars". This show has been "Dancing with People You've Heard Of" for many seasons.

Sorry, link doesn't appear to be working.

Go to the facebook Dancing with the Stars page, and click on the season 13 cast announcement. You'll find all of the lovely comments :x

i realize chaz is the first transsexual on DWTS, but certainly he's not the first gay...

actually, he's not gay as a man, is he? isn't his partner female?

Chaz Bono is not gay. He is a straight male.

Seriously, there has been at least one gay male on DWTS since the show started, his name is Bruno. If that's "pushing the agenda" then these people shouldn't have been watching period. I'm not sure if Len is gay, and I really don't know about the other dancers, but GAY PEOPLE EXIST! Seriously.

Want to bet a majority of people outraged at transgender Chaz Bono only started watching the show because Sarah Palin's daughter Bristol (the unwed teenage mother) was dancing?

I laugh at the people complaining about the lack of "Stars". This show has been "Dancing with People You've Heard Of" for many seasons.

That would be my guess, as they only got into watching because they love Sarah Palin so much, they ignore the fact that her daughter was an unwed teen mom.

Len's not gay. But Carson Kressley (of Queer Eye fame) is, and he's a contestant too. Not a word about him, though.

Louis Van Amstel is gay, Lance Bass is gay, and Bruno is gay. It's a show about DANCING, for God's sake. There's going to be a gay connection.

I guess gay is tolerable, especially in artistic settings, but transgender is not. How very very sad.

A friend of my niece's is undergoing the transition from female to male. He has legally changed his name, has had a mastectomy, and is undergoing hormone therapy. Next up- the hysterectomy. He is the nicest guy you could hope to meet, and so happy about his transformation. He's only 18, and life has been very tough for him. Luckily he has a supportive family and friends.

If you met him for the first time, you would never guess he was born a female. I don't understand all the hatred.

That would be my guess, as they only got into watching because they love Sarah Palin so much, they ignore the fact that her daughter was an unwed teen mom.

I find it funny that they are more concerned about a heterosexual man on DWTS than an unwed teen mom hypocrite (abstinence only ed--How can she be the spokeswoman for something that obviously didn't work for her). I don't have a problem with unwed moms, but I do with hypocrites. That is an agenda we can all do without. I am glad Chaz is on it; I hope he's paired with Cheryl.

I knew this was going to happen the second I heard he was on DWTS. Personally, this makes me hate ABC a tiny bit less after casting Kate Gosselin. I can handle just about anyone else, even the robotic Bristol, but Kate was too much for me, as would any other child abuser on the show.

I read the comments on FB thia morning and commenters seem to shocked that Chaz Bono and Nancie Grace would be on the show. I am disheartened to hear the comments about Chaz, and I wih him all the luck. I feel to be fair I should alo wish Ms. Grace all the luck too, but I am not a fan of hers and it is a big step for me.

Carson is my favorite, and I haven't even watched him dance yet.

Give me a break! Like any of those fundie,conservative, republican types have ever watched DWTS or would have if Chaz was on or not. That whole show is a major EYE TRAP and they would never allow that. Hopefully the majority of people will go to the DWTS site and show support for Chaz. I have never watched the show, but I will go to the site and show my Chaz love if they need numbers. :)

Wait, I thought Chaz was straight? Isn't his girlfriend well... female?

Yeup, he's totally straight. His GF is bisexual, but yes, she is female.

If liberals can handle Barstool Palin just clomp like a lazy ass, then the conservatives can handle Chaz Bono. Go Chaz!

Bristol didn't bother me as much as I thought she would until she started to believe her own hype towards the end. That and that blank look she had on her face when her partner said they were going to be doing "Cellblock tango" and she had zero idea of what Chicago even was. I mean, it was a major movie that won a bunch of awards not all that long ago, and you're on a freaking dancing show. Really? Ugh.

Anyway, if I can manage to watch the likes of Bristol, Tom DeLay and Tucker Carlson, they can go ahead and get over themselves. Honestly.

I only watch this show occasionally.... watching dancing for more than just a few minutes puts me to sleep..... and I hate it when the judges destroy them when they are trying their best.

The trans-gender thing is troublesome to me(not in terms of watching Chaz dance) only because I just get the shivers when I think of someone actually having surgery to remove certain parts of their body. I mean, surgery is risky..... and permananet. As long as they keep those surgical knives far away from my parts, I'll be OK.

I only watch this show occasionally.... watching dancing for more than just a few minutes puts me to sleep..... and I hate it when the judges destroy them when they are trying their best.

The trans-gender thing is troublesome to me(not in terms of watching Chaz dance) only because I just get the shivers when I think of someone actually having surgery to remove certain parts of their body. I mean, surgery is risky..... and permananet. As long as they keep those surgical knives far away from my parts, I'll be OK.

The idea of having a male body, as a female, gives me the willies more than the idea of having a surgery to put me to rights. Surgery is permanent, but so is living in the wrong body if you don't do anything to fix it.

So I read some comments on the fb page that made a big point of parents worrying how to explain Chaz to their small children.

Umm...

Chaz looks like a man. Why is there anything to explain to small children?

Here are some of the mean comments on that page for those who don't want to put themselves through that or who don't have facebook:

This was my favorite show but Chaz Bono dancing with a girl, are they going to smooch? I don't have anything against gays but they should respect that maybe some of us arn't ready for this. I have all the right to switch channels , so i will pass this season.
Three people liked this.

Don't know much but Cher's daughter oups! son, and David Arquette

I'm disappointed in the quality of stars in general this season. Re. Chaz, why all the hatred? I'm a straight southern Christian female and have absolutely no problem with him being on the cast. For all of you "good Christians," my Bible clearly says "Judge not lest ye be judged." Even Jesus ate with the sinners and the tax payers and said "He who is without sin, cast the first stone." If you're going to be full of righteous indignation and start judging people based on their sexual orientation, perhaps you need to go back to the Bible you love to thump and read it - ALL of it - including the parts about judging and showing compassion for others
We should invite her to FJ.

The response to this comment:

Hey Melissa good point, but I think you need to go back to your Bible and read it again. Jesus also said repent! He ate with the sinner to try to get them to change their ways. He was very clear about that lifestyle being wrong. I have no problem with gay people and treat them like I do everyone else, but I also have to be accountable before God and I will not accept that way of living and Hollywood should stop trying to make us
I don't recall there being anything in the bible about trans people...

With ALL the stars out there--- this is all you can get?? Bono should not be on here-- I feel sorry for the dancer she's partnering with

Yes and they suck , they could have come up with a better group that this, cant believe this is what they had to pick from. dont know if i will bother watchin it this year come on Chaz Bono , is he or she dancing with a guy or a gurl> im confused

Just to restore your faith in humanity I will leave you with a nice quote from a Canadian:

i am stunned at how judgemental people are...maybe it is because i am canadian. we just don't seem to get all worked up over these issues...what is with all the gay/lesbian/transgender issues..get over it!!!! why is everyone being so harse? think of other peoples feelings.....and don't be so self absorbed in yourselves...people are people no matter what. i truly hope that chaz does a great job...and what is with the family show issues? how are kids going to know who is who unless some adult decides to tell them. if you aren't happy then just don't watch the show - end of story..as for the star factor? why is george cloney's ex-girlfriend on there? who is she anyway - famous because she dated him? i wouldn't say the lineup is great but...remember it is just entertainment people...let's not be so worried about other people and their choices -- it really is none of anybody's concern....

Sorry, I thought that would be the last one but then I read this:

@Melissa Brock Fredrick Yes the Bible says to respect people and treat them equally, but it also says homosexuality is a sin. And "changing" yourself from female to male by mutilating your body and taking testosterone is also a sin. God doesn't make mistakes with his creations. People aren't born gay, they choose to be gay. It is a choice. And I refuse to refer to her as a him. She was born a female, no matter how many things she removes from her body and how much testosterone she takes, and even if she legally changes her gender. Now that I remember that she is going to paired with a female dancer, I don't think I will watch this season either. This show is starting to decline from family entertainment to trashy reality show.
And I could not help myself. Since God makes no mistakes I guess we should never ever have surgery for anything. Too bad about your appendix, God doesn't make mistakes.

Edited because quoting can be troublesome.

Archived