IGNORED

When fundies self diagnose / Narcissism thy name is Lori

Excellent comment!!!!

And I left this comment at Lori's blog of blech. I'm sure it will get scrubbed but Lori has to read it first (and I hope it scorches her eyeballs).

"Okay, let me get this straight. Breast feed your child in public without covering up, and that's a problem. Molest young girls, including your sisters, but that's okay because you're a conservative "Christian.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification."

Well, Lori didn't read my comment, but apparently Ken did. He just sent me an email, which I deleted without replying. Whatever.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My breastfeeding in public rant is slightly different. It's about where children should and shouldn't be. If you are a parent, please stop bringing your kids everywhere. Yes, legally we have to let you. But try thinking about other people for a change. If you want to go to a movie, at night, and the theatre has a 21 and up section, sit with your children in the family section. Don't put them in behind adults who are drinking and want to watch a movie without hearing the babble of a 3 & 5 year old, and then the screams of an infant.

No one says you need to stay home. Breastfeed at the pool, the store, the family style restaurant. Leave the grown up places for grown ups. You choose to have a child. Some sacrifices are going to have to be made.

/crotchety

Well, Lori didn't read my comment, but apparently Ken did. He just sent me an email, which I deleted without replying. Whatever.

Whaaaa? Please recap!

My breastfeeding in public rant is slightly different. It's about where children should and shouldn't be. If you are a parent, please stop bringing your kids everywhere. Yes, legally we have to let you. But try thinking about other people for a change. If you want to go to a movie, at night, and the theatre has a 21 and up section, sit with your children in the family section. Don't put them in behind adults who are drinking and want to watch a movie without hearing the babble of a 3 & 5 year old, and then the screams of an infant.

No one says you need to stay home. Breastfeed at the pool, the store, the family style restaurant. Leave the grown up places for grown ups. You choose to have a child. Some sacrifices are going to have to be made.

/crotchety

Oh Maggie, you are singing the song of my people. Yes, keep grown up places for grown ups. I can't tell you how many times I've been to a happy hour or an R-rated movie, only to hear a baby crying. And of course it's crying, it's in a dark theater with bright lights and loud noises. I went to see American Sniper in the theater, a movie with a good deal of gory violence, and there was someone bouncing a baby on her knee. I love children, I really do, but I don't want to be around them when I'm drinking in a bar and trying to unwind or attempting to enjoy a movie that was meant for adults.

/get off my lawn!!

Babies are supposed to be fed on demand. In the early days, this can mean that they get hungry 8-12 times per day. A new mother, who is doing exactly what her doctor says she should be doing, is feeding her child around the clock. She is not sleeping for more than 2 hours without interruption, so she's exhausted. Good pumps are expensive, and pumps don't work for everyone. You have to find time to pump in between those 8-12 feeds per day, and time spent pumping is not time spent showering, eating or sleeping. I found that the only pump that worked for me was a manual one, and I had to sterilize everything by hand, so it would take me up to an hour to sterilize, assemble the pump, pump the milk and clean everything after. Pumped milk doesn't last that long, unless it is frozen, and frozen milk needs to be defrosted in advance. So, to use it, you are shlepping stuff with you that needs to be at the right temperature and kept safely. Now, some babies won't take bottles, esp. if mom is nearby. I had one baby who would reluctantly take pumped milk from anyone but me, and 2 who never took a bottle at all.

Well, this is was brought me out of a long, long lurkdom (Hi y'all!). I can't get over the lack of regard for the physical health of the mother in Lori's suggestions about bringing a pumped bottle of milk when out in public to make other people more comfortable. I am breastfeeding my first child and went through two bouts of mastitis when my son started to go longer stretches at night, so just pumping a bottle earlier and not feeding in public is not as simple as it sounds. Also, if you are not pumping or breastfeeding at a time your child would usually eat, your body starts to take on the "use it or lose it mentality," and you start to make less milk. Ignoring those types of facts in favor of niceties about not making others uncomfortable with your public nursing is so Lori.

Also, lately, in my own life, I have been thinking a lot about learning. It can be so frightening or disconcerting to be open to learning something new. It means you are admitting there may be holes in your body of knowledge, there might be things you hadn't considered, or *gasp* things that you were taught that you might need to reconsider/unlearn. It's vulnerable and it takes humility and an openness to change and growth. This is so completely the opposite of what Lori's blog is about - from the preaching on the same topics over and over to the comment deleting, it has nothing to do with learning. You either learn from Lori, or you GTFO of her blog. Ask her to consider something new... to... learn?! Unthinkable! ETA: apparently I didn't reply to the quote correctly. Have mercy on me, a newbie...

Oh Maggie, you are singing the song of my people. Yes, keep grown up places for grown ups. I can't tell you how many times I've been to a happy hour or an R-rated movie, only to hear a baby crying. And of course it's crying, it's in a dark theater with bright lights and loud noises. I went to see American Sniper in the theater, a movie with a good deal of gory violence, and there was someone bouncing a baby on her knee. I love children, I really do, but I don't want to be around them when I'm drinking in a bar and trying to unwind or attempting to enjoy a movie that was meant for adults.

/get off my lawn!!

YES. THANK YOU.

See also: anywhere that isn't appropriate for small children, like any restaurant with "tavern" or "pub" in the name, after the dinner rush; there are several local brewpubs and "taverns" with good food, but after the dinner rush the focus is drinking, not food. If I'm at one of these places with friends, I want to be able to drink and swear make crude jokes without worrying that someone's child will repeat what I've said.

I think it's crappy of people to bring small children to clearly adults-only places, and I think it's ultra shitty of people to shame the normal behavior of children and parents (including breastfeeding) in other public spaces.

The assholes who thought it was okay to bring their exhausted, pissed off 2 year old to Ruth's Chris at 9:30 pm last month? Need to have someone show up during THEIR next anniversary dinner, take $120 plus tax and tip from them, and then shriek in their ear nonstop for an hour. People who let their kids run underfoot at bars are neglectful parents, full stop- I don't care how closely you're "watching" your kid, I am (mumble mumble) pounds of terrible coordination when I'm sober, that doesn't get better after a whisky tasting flight. I am sorry that some experiences aren't open to you anymore without a babysitter while your kids are still in the "inconsolable shrieking over broken crayons" stage, but...

MEANWHILE, everyone needs to stop giving parents shit about having to do the perfectly normal, shitty-for-all experiences of life. Like going to grocery stores- I'm STILL angry that we as a society have decided "family" lanes need to block the view of dirty dirty cleavage from children who mostly still think boobs = dinner, but don't remove the candy (tantrum bait) or make sure to staff a cashier who knows what the hell to do with a WIC check.

I think it's crappy of people to bring small children to clearly adults-only places, and I think it's ultra shitty of people to shame the normal behavior of children and parents (including breastfeeding) in other public spaces.

The assholes who thought it was okay to bring their exhausted, pissed off 2 year old to Ruth's Chris at 9:30 pm last month? Need to have someone show up during THEIR next anniversary dinner, take $120 plus tax and tip from them, and then shriek in their ear nonstop for an hour. People who let their kids run underfoot at bars are neglectful parents, full stop- I don't care how closely you're "watching" your kid, I am (mumble mumble) pounds of terrible coordination when I'm sober, that doesn't get better after a whisky tasting flight. I am sorry that some experiences aren't open to you anymore without a babysitter while your kids are still in the "inconsolable shrieking over broken crayons" stage, but...

MEANWHILE, everyone needs to stop giving parents shit about having to do the perfectly normal, shitty-for-all experiences of life. Like going to grocery stores- I'm STILL angry that we as a society have decided "family" lanes need to block the view of dirty dirty cleavage from children who mostly still think boobs = dinner, but don't remove the candy (tantrum bait) or make sure to staff a cashier who knows what the hell to do with a WIC check.

I am very, very childfree, and I have no problem with normal life experiences. If that means I'm behind a tantrum in the grocery store, I see about changing lanes or just ignore it. Making a fuss about kids being kids (having frustrated, tired, hungry tantrums) doesn't help anyone and doesn't even make me feel better. Planes? I'll bring headphones and nap anyway. I'm not offended by breast-feeding and actually prefer a quiet, happy, breast-feeding baby to an increasingly upset and very hungry baby. The kid can't help that it can't talk yet, and I'm not going to resent the kid's inability to communicate beyond normal human development stages.

Oh god yes, it totally sucks when people bring their children to places children are not welcome at all. Having children does not give you a right to bring them everywhere, including to bars, strip clubs, scary movies and dildo shopping at the local sex shop.

When I was in college someone once took their two year old to a house party, then proceeded to get drunk and leave the kid to bother other people. She really liked me, but I didn't want to hang out with a toddler, I wanted to get the attention of a woman I really liked. The mother thought it was so funny and pretty much treated me as babysitter, including having me take the kid to the toilet when she started doing the potty dance.

We don't have drinking at movies here. They don't have laws to keep kids out of bars and places like that?

Cranky kids can't always be avoided but I understand that nobody wants to be around them. One of the reasons that I would. It's anywhere is that it was far LESS disruptive to have a baby eating quietly instead of screaming g while I ran to a private place or tried to defrost pumped milk.

We don't have drinking at movies here. They don't have laws to keep kids out of bars and places like that?

Cranky kids can't always be avoided but I understand that nobody wants to be around them. One of the reasons that I would. It's anywhere is that it was far LESS disruptive to have a baby eating quietly instead of screaming g while I ran to a private place or tried to defrost pumped milk.

When I lived in Ontario there was a theatre that served beer and wine. This was in the early 2000s so maybe it changed?

It's not super common in the US but it's becoming more popular. Especially since movie ticket sales keep decreasing, theatres are looking for ways to set themselves apart.

Most places set their own policies about children. However, I think it's illegal to actually kick children out if they are with a parent. And breastfeeding infants are legally allowed to be anywhere the mom is, because otherwise it's discrimination. So that means that yes, parents can and do bring them places that are not appropriate.

When I lived in Ontario there was a theatre that served beer and wine. This was in the early 2000s so maybe it changed?

It's not super common in the US but it's becoming more popular. Especially since movie ticket sales keep decreasing, theatres are looking for ways to set themselves apart.

Most places set their own policies about children. However, I think it's illegal to actually kick children out if they are with a parent. And breastfeeding infants are legally allowed to be anywhere the mom is, because otherwise it's discrimination. So that means that yes, parents can and do bring them places that are not appropriate.

I can't believe somebody would bring a baby to the cinema anyway! Just why would you? I can understand a morning or afternoon showing of the latest kid film, you kind of expect it. American Sniper though? What the actual.....

Here babies are allowed only if the film is U PG or 12A and patrons are 'respectfully asked to exit the auditorium if he/she becomes distressed' :lol:

My local cinema has Autism showings which have been a godsend for me when juggling Aunty duties during school holidays.

Same with licensed premises, normally have a cut off, been burned a few times with that one. Although bizarrely living with the shittiest weather in the world it's fine to have your kid in the beer garden.

My pet hate is parents who insist on parking their huge prams next to tables when it is blatantly obvious it is going to be in the way, not in the way is fine.

I suppose I'm just on the spectrum of one person's experience should not supersede everybody else's. As an extended family we ate/eat out a lot and when the kids were young we would tag team walking prams, amusing the very young etc. Even with one extremely challenging child I can safely say we all enjoyed ourselves without ruining anybody else's experience. It can be done. Well apart from that one time....projectile vomit.

I can't believe somebody would bring a baby to the cinema anyway! Just why would you? I can understand a morning or afternoon showing of the latest kid film, you kind of expect it. American Sniper though? What the actual.....

Here babies are allowed only if the film is U PG or 12A and patrons are 'respectfully asked to exit the auditorium if he/she becomes distressed' :lol:

My local cinema has Autism showings which have been a godsend for me when juggling Aunty duties during school holidays.

Same with licensed premises, normally have a cut off, been burned a few times with that one. Although bizarrely living with the shittiest weather in the world it's fine to have your kid in the beer garden.

My pet hate is parents who insist on parking their huge prams next to tables when it is blatantly obvious it is going to be in the way, not in the way is fine.

I suppose I'm just on the spectrum of one person's experience should not supersede everybody else's. As an extended family we ate/eat out a lot and when the kids were young we would tag team walking prams, amusing the very young etc. Even with one extremely challenging child I can safely say we all enjoyed ourselves without ruining anybody else's experience. It can be done. Well apart from that one time....projectile vomit.

That's beyond me, too. I can't imagine spending the money for a nice evening out only to have my baby interrupt with screaming (or dirty diaper or whatever). Nope. We have a couple theaters here that offer free afternoon shows specifically for families with kids -- kid-friendly movies, kid "snack boxes" and lots of other families with small kids who won't care if your kid acts up. We did a lot of those when our kids were small. Not only was it a fun way to get out of the house in the hot summer but it also let the kids enjoy the fun of a theater without us having to stress over their behavior overly much.

My own parenting pet peeves -- when people with those giant Range Rover strollers decide they have the right-of-way and proceed to mow over everyone (including small kids) who is in their way. I was a sling mom and didn't use a stroller, so maybe I'm just missing something about this. But I really went off on a woman who ran up the back of my kid's leg at the zoo because she wanted a closer look at something. The skin was scraped off his ankle, for god's sake.

And parents who let their little angels do whatever they want -- chase the geese at the park, throw trash on the ground, climb up the slide when other kids want to go down ...

AND parents who don't keep their kids in carseats long enough (according to the law not the Facebook carseat pros). Our law says "8 or 80 lbs.," and yet virtually everyone I know "graduates" their kids to no booster by three or four. What the actual F? My kids were large and outgrew their standard infant seats at 3 - 4 months. So what did I do? I found extended weight car seats so that I could 1. keep them safe and 2. follow the law. Playing with kids' lives here, people, and it's not worth it.

Whew! I'm ranty.

I am a mom and a grandma...

That said...there is a time and place for children. When my kids were young (like 4 and up), we would take them to nice restaurants every couple of months during non-peak times, like 4-5pm on a weeknight. Why? So they could learn how to act in a restaurant. HOWEVER...we would practice good behavior at the dinner table at home first. Then, and even more now as an "empty-nester", I can't stand being in restaurants, theaters, etc. where kids are out of control (even at fast food joints). My 2.5 year old grandson already has certain expectations of behavior at home AND in public.

HOWEVER...I do understand that kids get bored, they can get rowdy, and stuff happens. There have been times when a little one has bumped into me and USUALLY the mom or dad will apologize (it may just be where I live though). If the parent apologizes, I brush it off...with telling the mom/dad that I'm a member of the been there/done that club.

There have been times though, where I've ended up asking for a doggie bag and gone home after an unpleasant experience in a restaurant.

ETA: I hope this made sense...my grandson was climbing into my lap while I was trying to write this out.

In today's post she's back to longing for the good old days. You know the ones, when families like the Flinstones and the Petries set the tone by not sharing a bed.

In the 60s, when I was growing up, we watched shows like the Dick Van Dyke Show. In Rob and Laura's bedroom {the couple the show revolved around} there were two separate beds. When they were sitting on the bed together, they had to have one foot on the floor. This was mandated back then. Oh, how far we've come.

I loved the shows made in the 60s: The Andy Griffith Show, Leave it to Beaver, The Beverly Hillbillies, My Three Sons, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Mister Ed, and I Love Lucy. We never had to worry about seeing anything inappropriate; no bad language, no immodesty and no sex.

Totally agree Lori! That's a totally accurate representation of reality too! I get all my facts about history from The Cartoon Network and TVLand!

Hey, what do you think Fred Flintstone would think if he saw how far we've fallen??? The shit you see is just so immodest! I once heard about this grandmother and grandfather who were so immodest- always on the net talking about their sex lives! The husband especially, but the wife was pretty bad too. Here, look at this post she wrote entitled "Naked With A Smile":

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/06/naked-with-smile.html

My, my how times have changed! I am so glad you are standing up for the way things really were back in the good ol' days! Fred and Barney would be proud...I'm sure Andy and Aunt Bee would too!

Blessings!

Today's post was honestly funny. Yep, the good ole days, when married people didn't have sex and people kept pet dinosaurs.

To a certain extent, children's shows are actually slightly tamer now than they were when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s. Why? Because when I was growing up, we had ONE tv set, and there weren't 500 channels. Kids' tv had to make some effort to appeal to adults as well, and children's programs couldn't air all the time. My kids, meanwhile, got to watch a channel devoted to preschoolers, the Wiggles and religious videos. When they were younger, they never watched adult programs at all, to the extent that Girl 2, born a year after 9/11, had no idea what that was until we visited New York. Grease had more sex and bad language than High School Musical. The Flintstones was originally intended for adults, as a cartoon version of The Honeymooners. The Honeymooners, of course, featured a main character with an anger management problem who frequently joked about punching his wife.

Today's post was honestly funny. Yep, the good ole days, when married people didn't have sex and people kept pet dinosaurs.

:lol:

Lori sure does whine a LOT about the immodesty on television. But whenever I see something on TV I don't like, I just turn it off. Either Lori has lost her remote and cannot turn the television off or she doesn't realize she has a choice.

Lori's blog is the picture of immodesty. She talks about sex more than anyone I know.

I just noticed this at the bottom of her post:

***If you'd like to sign a petition to keep the Duggars on TLC,

please go here to sign and pass it around.

Little Miss Modesty wants people to sign a petition to keep a sexual predator on tv. Makes sense, cause Jesus ya'll! :music-tool:

Has Lori watched any of the old cartoons lately? I was watching some of the original Tom and Jerry shows recently and I was surprised at how much drinking, smoking, and sexy cat ladies there were. :lol:

{Just yesterday morning, Ken and I took our daily walk around the park and there was a woman in a thong bikini modeling for a photographer! Sadly, it's impossible to escape the immodesty around us.}

Sooooo... Lori caught Ken leering at a young woman in a swimsuit? And the other day, she caught him leering at a breastfeeding woman?

Man, Ken, keep being a perv. You are inspiring some downright hilarious stuff.

There was also a dark side to the Hollywood production code.

The studios kept explicit sex off the scene, but the Hollywood stars were not living perfectly chaste lives. Scandals, however, had the power to ruin careers. It kept people like Rock Hudson in the closet. According to the late Lana Turner in her autobiography, she was forced to have 2 abortions because her career would have been over if she had a child out of wedlock.

Her readers have her youtubing bra commercials :lol:

Lori

I found this commercial on youtube. Wow! Bra commercials today are much worse while this one wasn't immodest in any way.

Keeper at home= Googler of bra commercials :clap: Well done Lori. Thank goodness you don't have a job! Think of all you'd miss

What is this crazy bitch's problem? I'm not a prude, but damn...if there's something on TV that I don't want to see, feel uncomfortable seeing, or think it's not appropriate for my grandson, I don't watch it. I can't remember the last time I watched a sitcom! There's PLENTY on TV that isn't "smutty". Oh gee...I think I just discovered the difference...I like documentaries, I like sci-fi, I like stuff that requires a little bit of brain power to understand and appreciate...

Lori is a STUPID FUCKING MONSTER

Ah, yes, the good ole days of Leave it to Beaver & My Three Sons. Where white people lived in houses with white picket fences and families had discussions around a dinner table. There were definitely not civil rights riots occurring off screen. No one in the 50s/60s lived in crowded apartments or worked in factories or struggled to survive.

Those shows are fiction, Lori. Fiction. If you hate TV so much, turn it off and go read a book. I recommend "To Kill A Mockingbird." It might help you with some critical thinking. Or you might just see some of yourself in Aunt Alexandra.

Archived