IGNORED

Mary Maxwell graduates (aka 30 years of homeschooling)

HoneyBunny

While I agree Steve has done his daughters a huge disservice, he hasn't donehis sons any favors either. He pulled Nate and Chris out of an activity they loved, baseball. He discouraged Chris from being an EMT because of the work hours, that he might have to work with a woman, and accidently see boobs while on the job. Now he takes crappy wedding pics for a living. I think Steve was the reason Elizabeth called off her wedding to Joe. I also have a feeling he beat John just for being a rebel. As for Jesse, his journalistic masterpiece (sarcasm) on why he plans to homeschool his kids shows the shitty education they all got.

Agree w/ you. I also feel that Steve was the reason Elizabeth called off the wedding. I thought that from the beginning.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree w/ you. I also feel that Steve was the reason Elizabeth called off the wedding. I thought that from the beginning.

Which explains his meltdown at the last dog and pnoy show when talking about courtship.

Thank you for this link. I leave the country (and Internet) for about 5 months a year and just returned, so I missed out on this spectacular piece of reporting. Last year I returned to the wisdom of Ken on FJ; this year there's this. I wish I could say that nothing will surprise me any more but I have a feeling I'd be wrong.

Completely agree that Steve was the reason for Liz calling off the wedding. I think that she did really like Joe but got the feeling that she "gave up the gift" because of Steve's requirements for her moving into Maxhell. My guess is that she started running into problems when they got closer to the wedding and were working out logistics of her moving and setting up the home. She probably was told she had to give up certain things would not be allowed in the home, like certain books, internet, etc. It may be that's when Steve discovered how much more worldly she really was, hence his complaint about how she was presented as being godly and then finding out, oh the horror!, that she was not. I suspect Steveovah had words with Daddy Munck as well. Liz and/or her family fully realized how batshit the Maxwells really were at the 11th hour because I hardly think they would waited until then to call it off if they realized it before.

Am I going to get beaten up if I tell I finished (public) Secondary school at the age of 22?xD

Only if you tell us you make your money by selling schooling curriculum that's supposed to be superior to regular old secular schooling.

Completely agree that Steve was the reason for Liz calling off the wedding. I think that she did really like Joe but got the feeling that she "gave up the gift" because of Steve's requirements for her moving into Maxhell. My guess is that she started running into problems when they got closer to the wedding and were working out logistics of her moving and setting up the home. She probably was told she had to give up certain things would not be allowed in the home, like certain books, internet, etc. It may be that's when Steve discovered how much more worldly she really was, hence his complaint about how she was presented as being godly and then finding out, oh the horror!, that she was not. I suspect Steveovah had words with Daddy Munck as well. Liz and/or her family fully realized how batshit the Maxwells really were at the 11th hour because I hardly think they would waited until then to call it off if they realized it before.

I'm picturing Steve in Liz ' s room going through her things and putting nearing everything in the "to be trashed" pile. It's creeping me out.

Only if you tell us you make your money by selling schooling curriculum that's supposed to be superior to regular old secular schooling.

Or: only if you told us 2 years earlier that you were completing high school and made it sound as if that completion would be complete within weeks! Wish I had the URL for proof but I dont-- but I absolutely remember it being so posted.

Or: only if you told us 2 years earlier that you were completing high school and made it sound as if that completion would be complete within weeks! Wish I had the URL for proof but I dont-- but I absolutely remember it being so posted.

Ask and ye shall receive:

May 2012, making it not quite three years. "Mary is working through the summer on school, not because she’s behind, but she’s ahead on her academics and working to graduate early."

blog.titus2.com/2012/05/31/school-time/

I wonder if the Maxwells held Mary back until the grandchildren were old enough to start formal homeschooling? There is a homeschooling family named Boyer (14 kids) who have been in the game even longer than the Maxwells. Their kids are grown now, but the grandchildren are homeschooled and the family is still in business. Check out their blog: characterconceptsblog.com

Note the article about not letting your kids read classic literature.

I remember reading this! I wonder what took so long. Maybe like someone said it was so they can say 30 years of homeschooling.

I can only imagine how long it would have taken her to graduate if she HADN'T gone to "summer school." :roll:

Of course Mary's 'graduation' is a celebration of her parents. She has accomplished nothing more than being able to recite what they've told her to recite. So, her party of course reflects that.

She drew a picture of her and Teri as a Thank You.

I don't know whether to be appalled or think the Maxwells really do need to bottle hero worship to sell to all parents who want their offspring's adoration. Who wouldn't want their kid to graduate from high school and give all credit to their parents?

Y'know how people look at portraits and comment on whether the artist captured the subject's spirit?

Well, that sketch captures the spiritless, fake-smiling look they both have perfectly.

I guess that makes Mary a good portrait artist. :?

Oh, and Sarah -- you can just write "what Mary gave to Mom" instead of "what she gifted Mom with." :roll:

This enrages me. Parents and others can help students get through their education, be it public, private or homeschool. But it is the student who does the work and passes the tests and graduates. I don't need a thank you from my son from elementary and middle school graduation. He is the one who earned it. It is his father's and my joy to see his success. I will burst my buttons at his high school graduation, because HE did the work. Why do they need to be worshiped for what parents are supposed to do?

It doesn't look much like Mary, but is an okay likeness of Teri. Mary's drawing ability is better than I thought it'd be: she's fine, but not great. She'll never be that without advanced education.

The picture reminds me of one of those caricatures you'd get from a booth at an amusement park.

God these posts make me feel depressed. For the love of all things holy. Teri and Steve let your girls go I to the world and LIVE!!

It doesn't look much like Mary, but is an okay likeness of Teri. Mary's drawing ability is better than I thought it'd be: she's fine, but not great. She'll never be that without advanced education.

It doesn't take going to college to be a great artist. If so, then I guess the renaissance masters aren't so great. There's also a fundy daughter whose name I can't remember who could be a professional illustrator. Education really doesn't have so much to do with the ability to do art. It's a skill, not something you need to sit through calculus for.

http://www.dogonews.com/2009/8/15/the-i ... ung-artist

That 6-year-old is much better than Mary.

This is horribly sad. Mary's graduation was a celebration of Teri. How twisted. It has nothing to do with Mary's accomplishments and everything to do with Teri hitting 30 years.

This enrages me. Parents and others can help students get through their education, be it public, private or homeschool. But it is the student who does the work and passes the tests and graduates. I don't need a thank you from my son from elementary and middle school graduation. He is the one who earned it. It is his father's and my joy to see his success. I will burst my buttons at his high school graduation, because HE did the work. Why do they need to be worshiped for what parents are supposed to do?

I can understand wanting to thank their teachers, we all need to feel appeciated now and then, Teri also got gifts from John and Anna when they graduated. But it should still be about the graduate, not Teri.

It doesn't take going to college to be a great artist. If so, then I guess the renaissance masters aren't so great. There's also a fundy daughter whose name I can't remember who could be a professional illustrator. Education really doesn't have so much to do with the ability to do art. It's a skill, not something you need to sit through calculus for.

http://www.dogonews.com/2009/8/15/the-i ... ung-artist

That 6-year-old is much better than Mary.

Oh, I don't know about that. I didn't say anything about college, but the Renaissance masters had plenty of advanced education. They studied the artists who came before them, served apprenticeships, and enrolled at patrons' academies to develop their talents. Michelangelo didn't come out of the womb knowing how to sculpt like that. He had a ton of education. Being an artist isn't just inborn talent; that talent needs to be developed and refined.

Why can't they have two separate parties-one for Mary's graduation and the other for Teri's "retirement" from homeschooling.

Archived