IGNORED

Anna Marie Maxwell baby watch Lydia is here

SPHASH

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't read, they WRITE!

That is the single most arrogant statement I have ever read... from anyone. The Maxwells make me want to :pull-hair:.

I know sources are never proof positive but I remember looking up the name Lydia once and it meant from the almond? tree or something like that?

I love how Fundies apply meaning to names and they all carry on the new 'tradition'. Just because it's used in the bible doesn't mean it's all godly and special. But, whatever.

I left a comment congratulating Christopher and Anna on the birth of their new daughter and wished their family of five all the best. It has not been shared. I guess one cannot separate one Maxwell from the herd, much less five.

According to behindthename.com - "Means "from Lydia" in Greek. Lydia was a region on the west coast of Asia Minor. In the New Testament this is the name of a woman converted to Christianity by Saint Paul. In the modern era the name has been in use since the Protestant Reformation." http://www.behindthename.com/name/lydia

I am such a bad person. I just don't think Christopher and Anna make cute kids. I really am one of those people who does not think all kids are cute. Of course, physically cute does not equal adorable personality, etc, but from a clearly and completely superficial POV, I just don't think their kids are cute. Now the ABCs are gorgeous, especially Abby. It is sort of like the poor Rodrigues kids, most of whom are .... unfortunate... in the genetic lottery.

I am such a bad person. I just don't think Christopher and Anna make cute kids. I really am one of those people who does not think all kids are cute. Of course, physically cute does not equal adorable personality, etc, but from a clearly and completely superficial POV, I just don't think their kids are cute. Now the ABCs are gorgeous, especially Abby. It is sort of like the poor Rodrigues kids, most of whom are .... unfortunate... in the genetic lottery.

Ruthie isn't so bad but Josh is kinda weird looking.

See, I tend to think all kids are cute, and even I don't find Christopher and Anna's kids that attractive. Baby Lydia is probably the least attractive baby I have every seen.

I've always thought that Bethany is gorgeous. At the mention of Kristina, I had to go check out her fb page. She just gave birth to her 5th child. I'm pretty sure her oldest isn't five yet.

Now hear this! Lydia is just a friggin name in Greek, and has no more deeper a meaning than "Jane" has in English. It was the name of a merchant and evangelist in the NT, and also the name of a region in Asia Minor at the time of Jesus.

A lot of the time, those "meaning behind the name" books are making it up out of whole cloth. Not every name means something.

Now hear this! Lydia is just a friggin name in Greek, and has no more deeper a meaning than "Jane" has in English. It was the name of a merchant and evangelist in the NT, and also the name of a region in Asia Minor at the time of Jesus.

A lot of the time, those "meaning behind the name" books are making it up out of whole cloth. Not every name means something.

Jane is the female form of John which is derived from the Hebrew Yochanan which means "Yahweh is Gracious".

Most names HAVE meanings or a root, especially old, traditional names. If a name does not have a "meaning", it means the original parents just named their child random sounds (which happens, but is rare). Most of the name meaning books are simply the etymology of the name, and, while they may sometimes stretch to attribute all modern variants correctly, the etymology is largely fairly sound for Western names.

However, the original meaning may no longer be the primary association with the name/word. Jane is more strongly associated with "general, female name" than "God is gracious" now a-days. Doesn't mean that it doesn't carry that meaning in any sense, just that it is not the primary sense.

Similarly, many names in Chinese are given with a nod to the Ancient/Classical reading of the characters. If the character has a (sometimes completely) different reading in Modern Mandarin, it is still typical to understand the meaning of the name as the Classical version (though with a sense of the Modern).

Sincerely,

Farmer-ess

Jane is the female form of John which is derived from the Hebrew Yochanan which means "Yahweh is Gracious".

Most names HAVE meanings or a root, especially old, traditional names. If a name does not have a "meaning", it means the original parents just named their child random sounds (which happens, but is rare). Most of the name meaning books are simply the etymology of the name, and, while they may sometimes stretch to attribute all modern variants correctly, the etymology is largely fairly sound for Western names.

However, the original meaning may no longer be the primary association with the name/word. Jane is more strongly associated with "general, female name" than "God is gracious" now a-days. Doesn't mean that it doesn't carry that meaning in any sense, just that it is not the primary sense.

Similarly, many names in Chinese are given with a nod to the Ancient/Classical reading of the characters. If the character has a (sometimes completely) different reading in Modern Mandarin, it is still typical to understand the meaning of the name as the Classical version (though with a sense of the Modern).

Sincerely,

Farmer-ess

All this is true, but Christopher actually is ascribing a meaning in Greek to Lydia that it does not have.

Lydia does not mean travail or hard work. It means "person born in the region of Lydia".

That actual origin of Lydia remains a mystery. It might have been named after a king, it might be a Greek or Persian mispronunciation of the actual name the Lydian's used for their region (not actually Lydia).

It's one thing to pick a name because it has other connotations; obviously naming a child after Lydia of the Bible names sense for Christians of any stripe.

But it's another thing to state unequivocally the name has a meaning in another language that the name does not.

Sincerely,

Semi-Made-Up Name for Old Hollywood Movie Star :D

Agree!

Looks like she recently added another one to the brood. There's a photograph of a newborn that was posted March 26th. Looks to be a boy. Heaven only knows the name... :?

All this is true, but Christopher actually is ascribing a meaning in Greek to Lydia that it does not have.

Lydia does not mean travail or hard work. It means "person born in the region of Lydia".

That actual origin of Lydia remains a mystery. It might have been named after a king, it might be a Greek or Persian mispronunciation of the actual name the Lydian's used for their region (not actually Lydia).

It's one thing to pick a name because it has other connotations; obviously naming a child after Lydia of the Bible names sense for Christians of any stripe.

But it's another thing to state unequivocally the name has a meaning in another language that the name does not.

Sincerely,

Semi-Made-Up Name for Old Hollywood Movie Star :D

Oh right, I didn't catch that. BTW, I think your name is LOVELY :)

Looks like she recently added another one to the brood. There's a photograph of a newborn that was posted March 26th. Looks to be a boy. Heaven only knows the name... :?

Arby's Kristina? What is her fb again?

I'm guessing...Bradleigh.

EDIT: Found it. It's "Everything Nice" and her son is Caleb Weston.

Who is Kristina?

Who is Kristina?

One of the more ridiculous fundies who kept a ruler between her and her man during her courtship and was engaged at Arby's. She also shows up here from time to time. Search "Kristina's Keepsakes" for the whole rabbit hole.

Her facebook now is "Everything Nice". Her son's name is Caleb Weston which is shockingly normal for her, and I don't find newborns cute in general, but he is particularly....not...cute.

Her kids all look inbred. Hashtag-sorry-not-sorry.

I'm not happy that she chose Caleb, either. I'm due on Friday and that's the boy name we have picked out. Sigh...

Sincerely,

Farmer-ess

Lydians were a unique, non Greek people in the region of Asia Minor. The name is not a Greek origin, and any ascribing a Greek meaning to it is bullshit. It's a pretty sounding name and Greek speakers began naming girls Lydia slightly before the Common Era. Whatever Lydia actually meant to Lydian speakers, the spoken language has been extinct for over 2000 years. The name has no etymology that is derived from Classical or Modern Greek. It doesn't mean hard work or anything else.

Who is Kristina?

Oh, she's a fun one! Make sure you have hours (days....) of free time to spend on her!

Engaged at Arby's. Her dad put the ring on her finger. Had an actual courting ruler. They decided to not get any closer than 6 inches away from each other and didn't touch until their wedding. There's a picture of them putting their fingers against it with the caption "My love and I exactly 6 inches apart. See, we're obedient!" (or similar wording). Had a baby a year later then twins (with klassy names like Raegan Riley and Braeden Bryce) 13 months later. Was on WIC and tax-funded medical coverage for a while, despite her husband's rants against public assistance of any kind (and then had 2 more kids despite financial issues...). Doesn't need to go to college because she wants to be a SAHM and has her Bible. Birth control of any kind is evil, except yams. Hmm, what more can I say? At one point, women wearing pants was also evil, except now that she does it it's ok because it's her conviction, but everyone else should still wear skirts because the Bible says so, but she isn't convicted, so.... :think:

kristinaskeeps.blogspot.com/ :popcorn2: Have fun!

Edited to break link - lilith

Her kids all look inbred. Hashtag-sorry-not-sorry.

I'm not happy that she chose Caleb, either. I'm due on Friday and that's the boy name we have picked out. Sigh...

Her next-youngest, Brianna, is actually fairly cute if you check her facebook. She's got big dark eyes and lots of dark hair.

But yes, the others certainly have a "look".

They also do this vacant stare at the camera which, I think, is a lot of where you are seeing the "inbred". Brianna has a lot of personality, smiles, and a more alert look, which I think helps.

Edit: I also think they all take after Kristina, with the exception of Brianna who has Josh or whatever his name is' dark looks. Maybe they'll grow into it?

Yeah, I see what everyone is talking about With Kristina's kids

I think a lot of the lack of cuteness that we find in other blogger children pictures is that she ignores cute clothing, lighting, posing, saying "smile honey" and apparently takes one and is done, so doesn't delete 20 shots to get one.

The kids are not marvelously photogenic, but if she cared, she could get cute kid pics. That said if she doesn't care, it is not the end of the world.

Edited to make clear who I was talking about.

I don't think Lydia is a particularly unattractive infant, I think Sarah's just a terrible photographer who didn't bother with getting some nice shots of her.

Joshua is an average looking toddler and, while we haven't seen many shots of Ruthanne, I think she looks pretty cute in the latest pic where she's wearing a frumper that matches her mummy's.

Archived