IGNORED

Individual TLC contracts for kids over 18+

jinseng

So I was reading about the Roloff family from 'Little People, Big World' yesterday to find out what the kids are up to these days etc (I used to really love that show). I found out that the youngest boy Jacob has had quite a lot of struggles... He was expelled from school and caught up in drugs, etc. Anyway, I was reading that TLC have to provide a separate contract for each child over the age of 18. Apparently when Jacob turned 18 he refused to sign TLC contract, and would only sign a waiver that basically meant that they don't have to blur out his face when he ends up in the background of footage... but he would not be actively filmed, or speak on camera etc. Jacob has openly said he found the show fake, and hated being on camera growing up. The rest of the family has refused to comment on Jacobs distain for the filming. It made me think that perhaps a couple of the Duggar kids (e.g., Josiah) have also quietly refused sign these same contracts?

As long as the children are underage you can have a contract for the whole family that both parents sign on their own behalf and that of their children. You could also have a contract for each parent and then another one for all the underage children that is also signed by the parents as legal guardians.

But if a child reaches the age of majority and doesn't (want to) sign a contract himself/herself, he/she isn't part of the deal anymore.

this makes a lot of sense; it makes me think if the Osbournes' reality show way back--their oldest daughter was probably over 18 at that time, and it was said that she refused to participate in the show, so she moved to their guest house, and the crew never filmed her.

it gave me a bit of hope to read the OP and think that some of the Duggar kids adults have a chance at making choices for themselves. and with their own contracts, perhaps too their own checks (unless they're robotically handing them over to daddy).

More importantly, does the contract automatically include receiving a separate paycheck if one is over 18? Or can the family contract supersede the individual contract in terms of payment considerations?

So I was reading about the Roloff family from 'Little People, Big World' yesterday to find out what the kids are up to these days etc (I used to really love that show). I found out that the youngest boy Jacob has had quite a lot of struggles... He was expelled from school and caught up in drugs, etc. Anyway, I was reading that TLC have to provide a separate contract for each child over the age of 18. Apparently when Jacob turned 18 he refused to sign TLC contract, and would only sign a waiver that basically meant that they don't have to blur out his face when he ends up in the background of footage... but he would not be actively filmed, or speak on camera etc. Jacob has openly said he found the show fake, and hated being on camera growing up. The rest of the family has refused to comment on Jacobs distain for the filming. It made me think that perhaps a couple of the Duggar kids (e.g., Josiah) have also quietly refused sign these same contracts?

Where did you get that info about the contract? No one here at FJ has been able to ascertain exactly how the contracts and payments work.

Where did you get that info about the contract? No one here at FJ has been able to ascertain exactly how the contracts and payments work.

When putting the key words into google, this blog came up:

spiritswander.blogspot.de/2015/01/jacob-roloff-is-18-years-old.html

From what I see in about ten minutes of looking over that blog, spiritswander is only repeating what Jacob supposedly says about signing a waiver, however I am not sure that Jacob is the most reliable reporter regarding contracts.

I don't take this blog as definitive as to how TLC handles contracts with their reality show stars, including the minor offspring who reach the age of majority.

Archived