IGNORED

Same sex marriage legal in Texas? Yes! No!

Howl

Yeah!

Feb 17: A Travis County judge ruled Tuesday that Texas’ ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional. However, Judge Guy Herman’s order did not instruct the county clerk’s office to begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

********************************************************************************************

Sigh...

Feb 18: Attorney General Ken Paxton on Wednesday asked the Texas Supreme Court to issue an emergency order blocking a local probate judge's ruling that the state’s same-sex marriage ban is unconstitutional....“The probate judge’s misguided ruling does not change Texas law or allow the issuance of a marriage license to anyone other than one man and one woman,†Paxton said in a statement.

The Texas Supremes have not yet responded.

These religious conservatives know it is a losing battle but they will just. not. give. it. up.

At the moment I see state after state winning the battle for homosexual marriage, It is probably only a matter of time until the whole USA is alllowing same sex marriages.

At the moment I see state after state winning the battle for homosexual marriage, It is probably only a matter of time until the whole USA is alllowing same sex marriages.

Yup, the momentum is exciting. It feels like a seismic shift in some ways. Some people (and we know who) will find themselves on the wrong side of history.

Yup, the momentum is exciting. It feels like a seismic shift in some ways. Some people (and we know who) will find themselves on the wrong side of history.

This is why I suspect that a lot of conservative politicians are now either backing or not standing in the way of it. They know they'll be remembered negatively for supporting bans on SSM, and if they're not well-known politicians, fighting equality might be the only notable "legacy" they end up leaving.

BREAKING NEWS! Travis County just issued its first marriage license to a same sex couple!

Two Austin women were legally married Thursday morning after a Travis County judge ordered the county clerk to issue a marriage license....on Thursday morning (today), state District Judge David Wahlberg, petitioned by a lawyer for Goodfriend and Bryant [the couple who received the license], ordered Travis County Clerk Dana DeBeauvoir to grant the couple a marriage license....

In their petition to Wahlberg, the couple said the inability to obtain a marriage license was causing them irreparable harm, particularly because Goodfriend has been diagnosed and treated for ovarian cancer.

Saying they had no adequate legal remedy to enforce their right to marry, the couple asked Wahlberg to issue a restraining order directing DeBeauvoir to issue a marriage license and waive the 72-hour waiting period.

"Given the urgency and other circumstances in this case,†Wahlberg’s order said, “and the ongoing violation of plaintiffs’ rights, the court has concluded that good cause exists†to move forward with the marriage

The judge moved forward with this because one woman has ovarian cancer & may not survive until a final legal ruling legalizing same sex marriage in Texas is finalized.

This is a one-time exception, but it is just a matter of time.....

Supreme Court will handle this over the summer, and everyone knows it. So nothing will happen with this ruling.

So cool that Texas beat Georgia though!!!!

Supreme Court will handle this over the summer, and everyone knows it. So nothing will happen with this ruling.

So cool that Texas beat Georgia though!!!!

That is going to create a whole nother big problem with some people thinking that states rights supersede federal laws. We have already seen the Alabama judge and Mike Huckabee say that states don't have to listen to federal judges even though it violates the constitution.

It's going to be a mess for a while.

How does one person manage to get the law suspended for just themselves only?

Is this really legal? Because this is scary that a judge will bend the law to make an exception "just this one time."

That is going to create a whole nother big problem with some people thinking that states rights supersede federal laws. We have already seen the Alabama judge and Mike Huckabee say that states don't have to listen to federal judges even though it violates the constitution.

It's going to be a mess for a while.

Even Rick Perry isn't that dumb. You really think Huckabee will try to block a Supreme Court ruling??

Even Rick Perry isn't that dumb. You really think Huckabee will try to block a Supreme Court ruling??

Huckabee has no power to do anything since he is just a talking head who wants to be president, but he has spoken about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/2 ... 12042.html

This idiot wants to be president but has no idea how checks and balances work.

Huckabee has no power to do anything since he is just a talking head who wants to be president, but he has spoken about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/2 ... 12042.html

This idiot wants to be president but has no idea how checks and balances work.

I thought he was the governor. I guess he and Rick Perry are out. Yay!

Perry was our gov for 14 years. Fortunately he thinks god wants him to be president (he now has smart-guy glasses and a great haircut, so who know) so he is concentrating on that and is no longer afflicting us as governor. He basically ran a crony kleptocracy during his time in office.

Greg Abbot (previously TX attorney general, I think) is now the gov, still conservative but doing a little mopping up. More problematic is the new Lt. Governor, Dan Patrick. The Lt. Governor is a powerful position, because that is the person that determines the legislative agenda. Dan Patrick is most definitely a religious conservative (Catholic) with Tea Bagger leanings, but not totally there. He is a former talk-show guy on Houston radio.

BREAKING NEWS! Travis County just issued its first marriage license to a same sex couple!

The judge moved forward with this because one woman has ovarian cancer & may not survive until a final legal ruling legalizing same sex marriage in Texas is finalized.

This is a one-time exception, but it is just a matter of time.....

The letters to the editor section of my local paper will be highly entertaining next week. It's always a cavalcade of crazy, but when something like this happens, they really up their game.

Perry was our gov for 14 years. Fortunately he thinks god wants him to be president (he now has smart-guy glasses and a great haircut, so who know) so he is concentrating on that and is no longer afflicting us as governor. He basically ran a crony kleptocracy during his time in office.

Greg Abbot (previously TX attorney general, I think) is now the gov, still conservative but doing a little mopping up. More problematic is the new Lt. Governor, Dan Patrick. The Lt. Governor is a powerful position, because that is the person that determines the legislative agenda. Dan Patrick is most definitely a religious conservative (Catholic) with Tea Bagger leanings, but not totally there. He is a former talk-show guy on Houston radio.

Dan Patrick is the wackadoos' wackadoo. I fear for my adoptive state.

Dan Patrick is the wackadoos' wackadoo. I fear for my adoptive state.

Roger that, VVV. Please don't hang up your spurs, though.

I fear Texas is about to become open carry, because Patrick immediately caved to the ammo-sexuals. Once that is sorted out, he'll start on an agenda to dismantle the public school system through vouchers for private schools -- one of his pet projects.

Roger that, VVV. Please don't hang up your spurs, though.

I fear Texas is about to become open carry, because Patrick immediately caved to the ammo-sexuals. Once that is sorted out, he'll start on an agenda to dismantle the public school system through vouchers for private schools -- one of his pet projects.

The thought of this scares me. I want someone to explain to me how people are supposed to tell the difference between an open carry devotee and a person about to start shooting people?

The thought of this scares me. I want someone to explain to me how people are supposed to tell the difference between an open carry devotee and a person about to start shooting people?

Because they carry holstered in a non-threatening manner just like police officers do. You don't really worry every time you see a police officer with a holstered gun that he's going to start shooting at you do you?

Because they carry holstered in a non-threatening manner just like police officers do. You don't really worry every time you see a police officer with a holstered gun that he's going to start shooting at you do you?

No because the police officers go through training and several steps to help weed out the crazy. There is absolutely no reason for people to walk around openly carrying guns. I don't see any reason for people to walk around with guns anyway. And before you claim we are anti-gun, my husband has guns.

Perhaps you are seeing different pictures of open carry people than I am. I'm not talking about the people who are carrying small weapons that fit in a holster on their hip, I'm talking about people with large weapons slung over a shoulder. Like this:

dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/files/2015/02/targethopeA.jpg

Edited to add: The man in the picture on the right side with the straw hat is the head of an open carry group. His name is Kory Watkins.

I'm not the person you asked, but I'll answer anyway.

Yes, I do worry. It's not the biggest worry I have, but it's not an unwarranted concern, either. I live in a city where the police department is under federal oversight, for evidence-planting and for beating up my black and brown neighbors.

Uniform or no uniform, I don't want to be around someone with a gun, which is designed to efficiently damage humans and other living creatures.

Perhaps you are seeing different pictures of open carry people than I am. I'm not talking about the people who are carrying small weapons that fit in a holster on their hip, I'm talking about people with large weapons slung over a shoulder. Like this:

dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/files/2015/02/targethopeA.jpg

Edited to add: The man in the picture on the right side with the straw hat is the head of an open carry group. His name is Kory Watkins.

i kinda want the shirt the guy in the middle is wearing. i <3 bacon.

Mawrriage, that dweam wihtin a dweam....oh, wait, where am I?

Oh, yes, Texas.

Dan Patrick, Texas' newly minted Lieutenant Governor, helped celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Texas constitutional amendment that limits marriage to opposite-sex couples. This all went down at the state capitol to celebrate Faith and Family Day.

There were two cakes and one cake cutter (Rep. Cecil Bell, Magnolia !) has just introduced a Texas house bill that would withhold pay from county clerks and government employees who issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple. "My family's been in Texas since 1852...and what has always been normal for us, we're suddenly being told it's not normal, that those things that are our traditional values, somehow they are wrong."

That quote is pretty much the crux of the problem. Your traditional values have withheld civil liberties from other groups, i.e., slavery, not allowing women to vote, then not allowing black people to vote (poll tax) as well as other oppressive laws relating to people of color and women. So yes, people have been telling you that your traditions are wrong for quite some time.

Anyway, Dan Patrick told the crowd at the Capitol, "It's a battle, but we will be victorious, because with God, who can be against us? We know how it all ends." He wrapped things up by urging everyone to be part of an army for Christ, to hold out for traditional values against ebil libruls and exhoted everyone to fight, fight, fight against gay marriage.

State Senator Donna Campbell has just introduced a constitutional amendment to bar government from infringing on "sincerely held religious beliefs". In the delightfully ironic category, another Texas lawmaker has introduced a law that would prohibit judges from applying "foreign law" in marriage and child custody disputes, because of general brick shi**ing, mouth foaming, hand wringing and pearl clutching over an Islamic tribunal in Dallas (like Jewish rabbinical courts and Catholic tribunals) that deals with business disputes and religious divorces. Just a reminder, more like a mental nudge, Donna, that Muslims have sincerely held religious beliefs.

Occasional nutcases in the Texas legislature used to be a great source for parody (RIP, Molly Ivins), but how, nutcases are the new normal.

Now back to your regular programming.

Mawrriage, that dweam wihtin a dweam....oh, wait, where am I?

Oh, yes, Texas.

Dan Patrick, Texas' newly minted Lieutenant Governor, helped celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Texas constitutional amendment that limits marriage to opposite-sex couples. This all went down at the state capitol to celebrate Faith and Family Day.

There were two cakes and one cake cutter (Rep. Cecil Bell, Magnolia !) has just introduced a Texas house bill that would withhold pay from county clerks and government employees who issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple. "My family's been in Texas since 1852...and what has always been normal for us, we're suddenly being told it's not normal, that those things that are our traditional values, somehow they are wrong."

That quote is pretty much the crux of the problem. Your traditional values have withheld civil liberties from other groups, i.e., slavery, not allowing women to vote, then not allowing black people to vote (poll tax) as well as other oppressive laws relating to people of color and women. So yes, people have been telling you that your traditions are wrong for quite some time.

Anyway, Dan Patrick told the crowd at the Capitol, "It's a battle, but we will be victorious, because with God, who can be against us? We know how it all ends." He wrapped things up by urging everyone to be part of an army for Christ, to hold out for traditional values against ebil libruls and exhoted everyone to fight, fight, fight against gay marriage.

State Senator Donna Campbell has just introduced a constitutional amendment to bar government from infringing on "sincerely held religious beliefs". In the delightfully ironic category, another Texas lawmaker has introduced a law that would prohibit judges from applying "foreign law" in marriage and child custody disputes, because of general brick shi**ing, mouth foaming, hand wringing and pearl clutching over an Islamic tribunal in Dallas (like Jewish rabbinical courts and Catholic tribunals) that deals with business disputes and religious divorces. Just a reminder, more like a mental nudge, Donna, that Muslims have sincerely held religious beliefs.

Occasional nutcases in the Texas legislature used to be a great source for parody (RIP, Molly Ivins), but how, nutcases are the new normal.

Now back to your regular programming.

Oh, goody! It's time to play "Mine is bigger than yours" "My family's been here since XXXX, so my opinion matters more than yours does." Idiot. :roll:

Each session of the Texas House of Representatives begins with an invocation. Tuesday's was delivered by Pastor John Greene of Harmony Hills Baptist Church in Lufkin, TX. Lufkin would be considered not just East Texas, but Deep East Texas. He helpfully prayed that lawmakers "have the resolve to withstand the moral evil and the overreach of federal judges who ignore the will of the people of our great state."

This upset a lot of people, and especially people in the galleries, who were not necessarily Christians. Just so no one was confused on where he stands, he also asked God to "give this House the courage to remove and refuse every law that lessens the value of the family, the honorableness of marriage and the sanctity of life in the womb."

Guidelines given to clergy specifically note that the brief pastoral blessing should be nonsectarian and avoid partisan/political elements.

Our fantastic representative from Austin, Elliott Naishtat, had Rabbi Kerry Baker deliver the invocation yesterday, without mentioning that Rabbi Baker had married the two women the week before. Tee hee. Rabbi Baker called on lawmakers to "treat equally all those who are members of our community and to pay special attention to those we might call marginalized."

Archived