lavender

I would howl in protest if someone like Derick Dillard was in charge of me, a woman, in decisions of employment. If he never publicly says anything, not much I can do about it, but since his wife went public, is he going to distance himself from her? I'd be dropping discrimination charges hard and fast because likely Mr. Dillard is going to view his female co-workers and/or subordinates in a much different light than the males.

This is ridiculous. First, discrimination - other than something only tangentially similar, like hate speech - isn't a "charge", it's at best, a basis for a civil claim. Second, how would what you're suggesting ever work? Spouses in this free world are allowed to have different opinions. They're allowed to broadcast those differing opinions. It's a pretty terrifying thing to suggest that because a person does something illegal, their spouse should be charged, even if that spouse did absolutely nothing.

Edited for clarity

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would assume Jill's mind has changed somewhat since she seems very close to Cathy now. Cathy had a career even when she was married, didn't she? At least for part of it? I doubt Jill would judge Cathy for that, especially considering their circumstances unfortunately DID work out into a situation where their family very much depended on Cathy's income.

Why won't anyone tell Jill to ditch that headband??

Aaaand someone should tell her to stop talking like an idiot with all of those "aaaands" stringing her sentences together.

I would assume Jill's mind has changed somewhat since she seems very close to Cathy now. Cathy had a career even when she was married, didn't she

Michelle worked for a good part of her childhood...got a real estate license, drove a tow truck I think and assisted in the various ventures they owned/ ran to simply survive, The issue I believe is not that females work when they have to pay bills or put food on the table but when they choose employment for no pressing reason, leaving the 'proper sphere' of taking care of your man and kids just because you want to.

Jill's mannerism when she isn;t talking are strange. Like she is have a hard time fighting back not interrupting. Can jinger's smile be any more forced.

Michelle worked for a good part of her childhood...got a real estate license, drove a tow truck I think and assisted in the various ventures they owned/ ran to simply survive, The issue I believe is not that females work when they have to pay bills or put food on the table but when they choose employment for no pressing reason, leaving the 'proper sphere' of taking care of your man and kids just because you want to.

Michelle also went to public school, wore pants and a bikini, was a cheerleader and water skier. Michelle dated, kissed and frontal hugged before marriage. I think using Michelle as an example to the Duggar girls is like comparing apples to chimpanzees.

If working to survive is A-OK, how come the Duggar girls (beyond the cooking, sewing, tile laying, bus driving Jana) have never been groomed with the skills needed to provide if necessary?

Because they are as family lazy as hell and have no apparent ambition either career or educational? because JB now has the money to set them and their kept husbands up? because being minor celebrities, travelling and promoting the Duggar machine don't allow for serious employment or training at a regular job? Because if they don't get married, it is expected the girls will stay at home or if they are widowed, daddy can support them?

Take your pick.

Jill's mannerism when she isn;t talking are strange. Like she is have a hard time fighting back not interrupting. Can jinger's smile be any more forced.

That's the face of someone who was never taught how to listen to others. She's not hearing what other people are saying, she's just biding time before she spews her own opinion.

Because they are as family lazy as hell and have no apparent ambition either career or educational? because JB now has the money to set them and their kept husbands up? because being minor celebrities, travelling and promoting the Duggar machine don't allow for serious employment or training at a regular job? Because if they don't get married, it is expected the girls will stay at home or if they are widowed, daddy can support them?

Take your pick.

I think we would all agree that he should be getting all those kids educated and skilled at doing something, anything marketable- so they can support themselves and the mega families that many are likely to have. All the kids need to do is see that their father SOLD THEM, their lives and private moments in order to sustain his family. They had each better start thinking about how they intend to support their families.

That's the face of someone who was never taught how to listen to others. She's not hearing what other people are saying, she's just biding time before she spews her own opinion.

I like Jill, but I think this is true.

But, I think it's probably a side effect of her having to spend most of her life wrangling small children, for one. Also, she is clearly someone who needs a lot of positive feedback from her authority figures to feel a sense of self worth, which is her parents' fault for taking advantage of her people-pleaser personality.

All of the J'kids were constantly competing for attention. I think Jill just kind of found her niche that got her the attention she craved from her parents, and I can't really blame her for it.

This is ridiculous. First, discrimination - other than something only tangentially similar, like hate speech - isn't a "charge", it's at best, a basis for a civil claim. Second, how would what you're suggesting ever work? Spouses in this free world are allowed to have different opinions. They're allowed to broadcast those differing opinions. It's a pretty terrifying thing to suggest that because a person does something illegal, their spouse should be charged, even if that spouse did absolutely nothing.

Edited for clarity

I have no idea what your personal situation is, but if I had a male boss, which I don't she's female, and I discovered a youtube video or a book or an article or any public documentation that his wife, with whom it is also publicly known that he shares her religious practices and beliefs, yes I absolutely would bring that to the attention of his boss.

I do not believe that I, as a woman, would get a fair shake from a man whose wife makes such public statements and it is known that he shares her beliefs. I would be asking for oversight and to make darn sure that his personal, publicized religious belief about women who work would not affect the women in his workplace.

Maybe you are okay with knowing your colleague or boss thinks you need to be at home instead of having a job, but as a working woman that is not okay.

Sometimes people like Jill need to stop and think about what they are really doing, I'm sure Jill is so far on her golden high horse about what women should be doing that she doesn't even conceive that her public statements could have a negative effect on Derick's work environment.

As others have noted, who do they think were the primary care-givers in the NICU? Yes, there are male nurses but it is still a job that a lot of women aspire to. And as someone who just went through the hell of her husband being in ICU for three weeks, two of them on a vent, I have nothing but admiration, respect and awe for the people who work in the ICU, not to mention the people who do respiratory therapy, dialysis, etc. To watch an ICU nurse work is, to me, a real miracle. The skills required for the job are beyond my ability to comprehend. And, after three weeks in ICU, you get to know the staff and most of them are married with children. Two of them were gay men. One was a Muslim critical-care physician. I love each and every one of them. Jill does not know what she is talking about.

You just never know what is going to pop out of their mouth's. Wait yes you do, something judgmental and ignorant said in a completely arrogant way. They just remind me of perpetual adolescents who think they know everything. Jill is definitely their full package daughter, well at this point anyway. I bet J'boob & mullet are proud.

BrownieMomma, you didn't say, "I'll flag it for my boss." You said you'd have him charged - a discrimination charge is how you put it. The two things are in no way similar.

BrownieMomma, you didn't say, "I'll flag it for my boss." You said you'd have him charged - a discrimination charge is how you put it. The two things are in no way similar.

This is what stuck out to me in her post, too. It is one thing to say to his boss "Hey, I am nervous that his views might be a conflict of interest, can we keep an eye on this?" it is another thing entirely to charge him with discrimination based on something his wife said. Even if he does view women's place as being in the home, if he doesn't treat you any differently than the men he supervises, then you can't charge him with anything. If he actually discriminates, of course, but until that happens there isn't really much you can do.

Not sure if this has been brought up, but Anna Duggar has made some similar comments.

In an episode of the show, she was talking about how sometimes Josh doesn't do things like take out the trash. Sometimes she gets annoyed, but then she remembers that he is such a GREAT husband and that she is blessed because otherwise she might have to have a job. I don't remember the wording, but it was definitely a slight on career women.

I honestly don't think this is a Duggar thing. I think all ATI/IBLP kids are taught that "career women" are pitiable women who work because they don't have the joy of God in their lives, don't have a husband to support them, are focused on material things, etc.

I don't think it has ever occurred to any of these women that some women might have careers by choice because they have goals or even because they ENJOY working. Remember, having goals outside wife/motherhood are only acceptable if they come second because what GOD wants for you is to be a wife/mother. I don't think they really understand that there are other fulfilling life-paths out there.

Sometimes, when school gets tough (finals, research papers, etc.) I say to my roommates, "Damn! I wish I was a Duggar! I wouldn't have to deal with this crap!"

Then they respond to me, "Yeah, but you would have to be a Duggar."

I will stick to having ambitions and eventually being a career woman thankyouverymuch.

:lol:

While I do think Jill will pressure Derick to leave his job and be self-employed as soon as possible, he may not have the same negative idea of working women. He attended school and a university and his own mother worked. Working women are probably much more normal for him. Jill may think having a job or even a career is of the devil, but that does not mean Derick will immediately go along with that idea.

While I do think Jill will pressure Derick to leave his job and be self-employed as soon as possible, he may not have the same negative idea of working women. He attended school and a university and his own mother worked. Working women are probably much more normal for him. Jill may think having a job or even a career is of the devil, but that does not mean Derick will immediately go along with that idea.

Derick may not have that option for a long time. While it is entirely possible as a CPA to work for smaller firms, depending on the market, it can be incredibly difficult to nearly impossible to be self-employed in the Duggar sense. Accounting firms tend to corner markets, and since your normal every-day guy/gal is probably going to go somewhere large like H&R Block, it's hard to get business as an independent CPA unless you have contacts. Accounting is a business where you really have to climb the ladder. There's no real way to Jim-Bob Duggar your way to fast success.

What Derick would probably have to do is work for a smaller firm for several years to build relationships and a client base, then start his own firm with some of that business. But it takes a long time to build those relationships, and that can mean weird/long hours that you wouldn't see at Wal*Mart or an internal corporate position.

Source: my closest friends and partner are all various forms of accountants/tax lawyers. It leads to tedious conversations.

Maybe Jim Boob will set up Bin with a used car lot and Derrick can run a tax accounting office in the back room.

Makes JB sound like Tony Soprano. Hee. Except his version of Bada Bing would cater to fundie men.. poor nubile ATI girls wearing mini skirts and tank tops twirling around with brooms seductively.

Being self employed is very hard. DO any of these clowns in this family get that?

It takes a LOT of hard work (something they are allergic to) and I'm pretty sure a good serving of luck is involved.

We can't all have TLC.

Archived