IGNORED

Fight Church

NotALoserLikeYou

addictinginfo.org/2015/01/05/churches-make-members-fight-each-other-to-prove-their-manhood-because-men-are-made-for-combat-video/

amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYL09TA

facebook.com/FightChurchFilm?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FFightChurchFilm

If you’re wondering how MMA – a sport violent enough to make Senator John McCain, the American Medical Association and the British Medical Association attempt to ban it – got introduced into over 700 churches, look no further than Muscular Christianity. Muscular Christianity is an old male-dominant movement from the Victorian era that believes physical toughness equals mental toughness – or strength in faith. The movement’s leaders believe that the church feminizes men and that more men would be attracted to religion if it gave them a more masculine portrayal.

Fast-forward to today, several sport ministry organizations such as the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in the US have carried on the ethos of Muscular Christianity – as have MMA religious groups. Within these communities, men are encouraged to physically fight for their faith. How can religious figures justify these fight clubs? Look no further than pastor and MMA supporter Mark Driscoll, who said:

“I don’t think that there is anything purer than putting two men in a cage…and just seeing which man is better, and as a pastor, as a bible teacher, I think God made men masculine… Men are made for combat, men are made for conflict, men are made for dominion.â€

Nothing purer than two men in a cage. If men are made for conflict and combat, how do you explain everything Jesus said about love and non violence?? I gotta see this movie.

So this is a church for men who want to stip down their underwear and get very physical with another man, in front of people.

Does the one who beats all the others become minister? Is this how elders are picked?

I'm hear to say that I would suggest there are more qualifications than if a person can beat another person into submission or to death to define "better"....

And, do all the men have to participate? What happens when 73 year old Mr Jones draws lots to fight 19 year old Mr. Smith? After all, God didn't designate age or weight classes, just man on man action....

Oh, goodie. Let them all beat each other senseless. Fewer morons for us to worry about.

So if you beat the pastor can you take over the church? Do these fights happen during the service? Is there coming out music and announcers? This does sound like an interesting church to watch wrestling err worship Jesus.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
My son just started watching the movie and came to tell me that this church is in Rochester NY which is only about an hour from us. Road trip!!! Totally going to check it out one Sunday.

I am baffled at this Muscular Christianity stuff. I know it has a long history but I just don't get it.

I'm just thinking about all the broken hips and displaced pacemakers that would happen if my Church had a fight club... :pink-shock:

That was like word salad that Palin manages. About as bad as me

That sounded Palinesque to me too. That woman makes me nostalgic for the times that hearing the name Palin only referred to Michael Palin.

I wanna see a fundie fight church! See which of our favourite fundies can win in a battle to be pastor...or maybe make the grifting missionaries fight for the things they need-can David Rodrigues beat John Shrader and win the grand prize of $50 to spend on their mission...

I wanna see a fundie fight church! See which of our favourite fundies can win in a battle to be pastor...or maybe make the grifting missionaries fight for the things they need-can David Rodrigues beat John Shrader and win the grand prize of $50 to spend on their mission...

Jill can be the ring/round girl!

This sounds right up PP's alley, except for the ability to challenge the preacher and win. You know he always likes to show off how manly he is, but doesn't like anyone showing him up.

Archived