IGNORED

How do fundies name their kids?

meee

I mean, we know the Duggars have their J theme.

And a lot of people tend to lean heavily biblical for obvious reasons (the Kellers, the Lockwoods, the Maxwells, the Andersons, etc.)

But what about Erika Shupe? Karen, Melanie, Riley, Tyler, Lacey, Lilly - I don't remember the rest of them offhand.

Or the Bateses? Erin, Alyssa, Tori, Carlin, Trace, Jackson, Warden?

I just think it's curious that for all they try to stand out (frumpers, mega-families, homeschooling), they then give their children completely normal names. I would not think that someone named Jackson Bates or Tyler Shupe would be fundie.

Also, for the ones who do use biblical names, why are some more popular than others? I feel like a lot of them lean heavily Old Testament, but on the other hand I've never heard of a fundie named, say, Moses.

I hope this post doesn't break the rules - it's the first thread I'm starting!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erika Shupe and the Bateses may have just been trendy with most of their names, although Jackson might be named for Stonewall Jackson or even Andrew Jackson who did live in Tennessee (and, IIRC, was also governor before becoming president). Warden is just weird. With Erika's son, Tyler is either trendy or after John Tyler, one of the least known presidents. He sired an enormous brood (15 kids with two wives) and was a slaveholder. Amazingly, as of the end of 2013, two of his grandsons were still living.

ETA: John Tyler was a deist, so that makes him unlikely as a namesake for the young Mr Shupe.

I know a fundie family with a Warden, a little older than the Bates's Warden. That's the only time I've heard that name and I've always thought it odd. I wonder if there's some fundie reason behind it or if it just sounded trendy.

The family I mentioned has trendy names like that for the older kids and now they're doing very Jewish names for the younger kids.

One of the grooms Christopher Maxwell photographed in November was a Moses.

I suspect they name them the same way everyone names their kids... for their own weird reasons.

One set of fundie relatives have normal everyday, "trending for their time" names. The other-- well, let's say not normal every day names. But the adults naming the "not normal" names are all children of a couple who, while they were not so fundie when they were younger, gave each of their kids more or less made up or unusual names.... so that is a family "thing" in that group. Not a ton of Biblical names in either group.

Warden is weird. Do they imagine their sons have a future in law enforcement?

I'm just waiting for one of our fundie families to pull out a Dorcas or an Ebeneezer.

I wonder, do fundies check out name websites? I don't even have kids yet and I love names. I'm on baby names websites all the time. I love to check the meaning, the origins, names in other languages, possible nicknames, name popularity, etc. I would definitely check some name meaning when time comes to choose for my child.

Do fundies check out some biblical name online? Because some biblical names have pretty negative meaning. :/

Edited: because apparently, I carnt spell. ;)

I knew a fundie family growing up who decided that "S" is a feminine letter and "N" is a masculine letter. Their daughters all had multiple-s names (think Clarissa) and their sons had multiple-n names (think Norman).

At the time, I wondered if they knew how many s's were in Jesus :lol:

Warden is weird. Do they imagine their sons have a future in law enforcement?

I'm just waiting for one of our fundie families to pull out a Dorcas or an Ebeneezer.

Now that we have the word, "dork," I'd be surprised if even fundies used it. Tabitha is the same name (weird, huh?) - Dorcas is the Greek and Tabitha is Hebrew. But then it brings to mind Tabitha Stevens who was a wee little witch, so then again, maybe not.

Gomer - f (yes it's female)

Hagar - f

Orpah - f

Merhershalal - m

Theophilus - m (technically not a name, but is used in the bible as if it was one)

and they could go the Puritan route and name them things like Prudence or Worship or Temperance

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
Fundies I know either do "traditional Christian" names (which are just usual, normal names like Mary or John) or they do really out there names. One of the strictest fundie families I know have named their kids after Biblical names - as in like deriving from the original hebrew (for example "Miryam" instead of "Mary"); or after prominent fundie celebrities. One of their kids' first name is "Wilberforce", after the famous theologian abolitionist William Wilberforce. And just for the record, I've never known a fundie family to have themed names (a la all Js).

EDIT: OOPS! Just realized I accidently lied! I forgot that family does have a theme, just not an "all one letter theme". The first letter of the first name of their children spells out an acronym (not going to give it away but it's something like "Hooray For Jesus!"). They have about 14 kids and their latest kid born this past year completed the acronym. (They had another child, still born, that they decided to name outside of the acronym.)

Now that we have the word, "dork," I'd be surprised if even fundies used it. Tabitha is the same name (weird, huh?) - Dorcas is the Greek and Tabitha is Hebrew. But then it brings to mind Tabitha Stevens who was a wee little witch, so then again, maybe not.

Gomer - f (yes it's female)

Hagar - f

Orpah - f

Merhershalal - m

Theophilus - m (technically not a name, but is used in the bible as if it was one)

and they could go the Puritan route and name them things like Prudence or Worship or Temperance

I keep hoping for a Rahab, but I hope in vain.

Nimrod (m), but it means rebellion, and we all know that rebellious teens are shipped off to Journey of the Heart to become meek and mushy.

Don't fundies like virtue names too? Like Hope, Verity, Faith, Justice, Honor, Chastity, etc. Maybe Warden is like, a fundie virtue name for a boy? Like he will guard the faith or something? :confusion-shrug: :confusion-questionmarks:

Don't fundies like virtue names too? Like Hope, Verity, Faith, Justice, Honor, Chastity, etc. Maybe Warden is like, a fundie virtue name for a boy? Like he will guard the faith or something? :confusion-shrug: :confusion-questionmarks:

Is he the one whose middle name is Courage or is it one of his brothers?

He'll just make sure the faith doesn't make a shank of its toothbrush or make prison wine in its toilet.

I'm facebook friends with some fundie-lites from my "prior life" and I've noticed that musical names are starting to become a fad. Things like Cadence, Aria, Allegro... I even know of a Sonata.

I'm facebook friends with some fundie-lites from my "prior life" and I've noticed that musical names are starting to become a fad. Things like Cadence, Aria, Allegro... I even know of a Sonata.

Sauntina Staddon's name is supposed to be a creative spelling of Sonatina (well, except that Robert can't seem to spell or define the original word correctly):

Robert, where did you find such a beautiful name and what does it mean? “Sauntina was a name that Mama and Papa Kowalchuck had wanted to name one of their children however the Lord only gave 4 children and were not able to use this name. Both Kendalyn and I loved the name and the musical ring that it had. Sonata is a musical term and Sonantina is a short Sonata.

staddonfamily.com/2012/05/16/the-baby-is-here/

Is it possibly aspirational?

Once upon a time, the upper classes gave their children androgynous surnames because those were family names. The mother's maiden name was Porter, so one of the children was named Porter so that the important family name wasn't lost. People of lower socioeconomic status saw that the upper classes were giving their kids surnames, so they started picking random surnames because they sound classy. Maybe to people like the Bates, calling your daughter Carlin or your son Warden sounds classy because giving your kids surnames is what rich people do?

Theophilus was and still is a proper name in the Greek speaking world.

There's at least one fundie family whose daughters all have virtue names. I can't remember the name of the family, but they're the daughters of that crazy woman whose homeschool is called 'Four Oaks Academy' and who never lets the world forget her husband cheated on her.

Is he the one whose middle name is Courage or is it one of his brothers?

Warden's middle name is Justice. Isaiah Courage is his next younger brother.

I guess fundies name their kids much like non-fundies, except with an extra dose of Jesus thrown in: Some look at books, some don't. Some use trendy names. Some make sure the sibling names sound good together, some don't. Some use family names, some don't. Some go for traditional names, some don't. Some have a theme, some don't. Some go crazy, some don't.

The only difference is that the more kids you have, the more apparent your theme (or lack thereof) becomes. With just a couple of kids to name you can't do what you can do with a whole dozen of them.

If you have two kids and you name them Joy and Michael, no one would think anything is up. If your kids are Joy, Faith, Hope, Chastity, Grace, Patience, Joshua, Gabriel, Paul, Jacob, Elijah and Michael, people notice the trend.

I think some fundie families made some bad choices when naming their kids, while others (IMHO) did a good job.

What especially bugs me is when siblings have very similar names like Ellie and Callie Bates, Anna (Keller) Duggar and Susanna Keller, Joy-Anna and Johannah Duggar. Just unnecessarily confusing!

I can't believe there is a fundie naming post without a mention of Hiswayserves. Whose parents named her that because they are stupid.

Archived