IGNORED

How do fundies name their kids?

meee

I've always thought some of them opened the Bible at a random spot and named the kid the first male or female name they came to.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
EDIT: OOPS! Just realized I accidently lied! I forgot that family does have a theme, just not an "all one letter theme". The first letter of the first name of their children spells out an acronym (not going to give it away but it's something like "Hooray For Jesus!"). They have about 14 kids and their latest kid born this past year completed the acronym. (They had another child, still born, that they decided to name outside of the acronym.)

This is so odd to me! Did they settle on the number of children they wanted to have then find an acronym? Fit the number of children to the chosen acronym? What if they hadn't made it to the last letter?? So many questions!

Also I don't like the idea of doing that as it seems like a way to force the kids into identifying as a unit.

As for fundie naming: I agree that it seems more or less like non-fundies, but with an extra Jesus-y twist. The few I know have pretty common, but biblical, names. I once had fundie-ish students who were sisters named Mercy and Comfort, and I've met a couple of Blessings.

I read an article a while back (and was unable to find it online to link it - sorry) about how names sort of "cycle through" the various social classes. If you break out the 10 most popular baby names by income brackets in a given year, you will see certain names at the top. Give it a few more years and you will see the same names in lower income brackets while those at the top have a new set. (I admit this story stuck with me because I have a burning hatred of giving kids - especially girls-surnames that aren't actual family names).

That's really interesting. I tried checking nameberry for my sons' names. One is #1029 in popularity and one doesn't even show up. A burning hatred? :) I so wish I could tell you their names, I love them so much. We have given all of our children (well, except the one we're currently expecting) family names as middle names. I love the mixture of the strong/unusual first names with the traditional/family middles. I adore choosing baby names!

Or they might have gone the old 'terrible first name, call them by their middle name' route that my family seems to enjoy.

That would be nice, yes, but I think they always call her Heistheway on their blog.

I guess among fundies an ultra-holy name like that is like a badge of honour?

That was me posting while trying to get two kids dressed and me out the house

Hiswayserves is the name of Rebecca K's blog.

I, for one, have never thought of that. I chose surnames because they sound so "solid" and timeless.

Both of my parents' families pass down family surnames, but as middle names instead of first. I like this a lot more than saddling a child with a potentially awkward first name. The history is there for the person to use if they want it, but they're not forced to introduce themselves as "maternal great grandmother's maiden name". I know exactly what my family tartan is because of my mom's middle name. :D

Neither me nor my sister have any family names whatsoever, though. If I do have children, I will probably cram a couple in by means of giving each child several middle names. I don't plan to have more than two kids at the very most so I might as well go at it with the ones I do have. :lol:

This is so odd to me! Did they settle on the number of children they wanted to have then find an acronym? Fit the number of children to the chosen acronym? What if they hadn't made it to the last letter?? So many questions!

Also I don't like the idea of doing that as it seems like a way to force the kids into identifying as a unit.

As for fundie naming: I agree that it seems more or less like non-fundies, but with an extra Jesus-y twist. The few I know have pretty common, but biblical, names. I once had fundie-ish students who were sisters named Mercy and Comfort, and I've met a couple of Blessings.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
They are kind of an odd bunch.

I don't know. The mother (who was the one to introduce my mom to ATI/IBLP teachings) and my mom became friends before I was born. Our families were living in Chicago - her and her husband were finishing up at Moody Bible. I was born and then only a year later her first was born, then of course the others came rapidly after. Then our families went in different directions. Our family moved closer to Oakbrook and her family became missionaries; first serving in Mexico, then California, and now settled in Washington state. My mom told me that originally they had one acronym picked out (figured out when the first one was born, so they definitely were planning on having a good number of kids), but some number of years ago they changed it. I have no clue why, as the new acronym only cut the number of kids down by one letter.

We went to visit them once. Her and my mom still keep in touch via hand-written letters. I'm facebook friends with one of her kids (I believe none of the others have one). Sometimes I see odd things on there like a pinata in the shape of a canon for a birthday party (???) and they have a number of pictures with some of the Harris kids (Yeah, THAT Harris family with Josh Harris of the sex abuse cover up scandal and the "rebelution" Harris twins).

The women are skirts only but weird, they are all also head covered. I don't know why. She influenced my mom to do headcovering at least in church and we still have my little headcovers. My mom insists the church didn't force anybody to do anything. But isn't it weird for ATI/IBLP families to be into that?

I always feel especially bad for her partly because I can't even think of a nickname to pull from that.

Best case scenario -- Izzy (which she'd then have to explain isn't short for Isabelle/Isabella/Isadora).

Warden is weird. Do they imagine their sons have a future in law enforcement?

I'm just waiting for one of our fundie families to pull out a Dorcas or an Ebeneezer.

I had a friend who's older brother was a Benny. The family is very religious but I don't know if they followed a theme. The middle daughters are Yulma and Charlie (short for Siclali or Sochi or something like that). I can't remember the youngest brothers name

To be honest, the acronyms are a bit weird. Yes, it makes the kids one single unit instead of each having their individuality, but if the names in the acronyms aren't so weird, it isn't so bad. I mean:

Madeline

Eric

Sarah

Simon

Isaac

Adam

Hannah

It could be worst. ;)

To be honest, the acronyms are a bit weird. Yes, it makes the kids one single unit instead of each having their individuality, but if the names in the acronyms aren't so weird, it isn't so bad. I mean:

Madeline

Eric

Sarah

Simon

Isaac

Adam

Hannah

It could be worst. ;)

But what if the Lord doesn't see fit to adequately fill your quiver? Instead of the Messiah, you could just end up with a big Mess.

I meant for Heistheway. I'm usually good at nicknames, but I've got nothing besides the (admittedly questionable) Way-Way. Maybe Issy?

No no no no no nononononononononooooooo!!!!!! Issy is slang for vagina with people of an older southern generation! Ack! :o

But what if the Lord doesn't see fit to adequately fill your quiver? Instead of the Messiah, you could just end up with a big Mess.

Archived