IGNORED

What's for Dinner- Part the third

keen23

this morning i put venison stew in the crockpot (we have 2 friends and a nephew who hunt).  the cats got to share the last of the broth.

tomorrow might be the last of the homemade spaghetti sauce.

• Upvote 2

I am a little jealous -  I love a good venison stew  :)  Or a nice quickly braised/grilled back strap (in butter, of course!)

Mr MM didn't get a tag last  year, but I am hopeful for this fall.  We used the last harvest for chili, spag sauce, tacos, burritos, you name it.  It is a very versatile meat!

• Upvote 2

I've eaten venison a few times: once in chili, once as jerky a coworker prepared, and once in sausage that a semi-local jerky outlet prepared. Good stuff.  

Last night I prepared Filipino cuisine: longanisa and pancit canton. Okay, so I cheated and bought the longanisa and the noodles and seasoning mix for the pancit canton from a Filipino restaurant and store near the military base.  I wasn't too crazy about it. Next time, I think I'll just go eat there -- they make good stuff, especially lumpia.  Tonight I had a Boca spicy "chicken" patty and spicy mac and cheese from a box.

• Upvote 2

Fresh lumpia! Oh my waistline!  Or some really great pancit.

A girl can dream.....

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, pamplemousse said:

I've eaten venison a few times: once in chili, once as jerky a coworker prepared, and once in sausage that a semi-local jerky outlet prepared. Good stuff.  

Last night I prepared Filipino cuisine: longanisa and pancit canton. Okay, so I cheated and bought the longanisa and the noodles and seasoning mix for the pancit canton from a Filipino restaurant and store near the military base.  I wasn't too crazy about it. Next time, I think I'll just go eat there -- they make good stuff, especially lumpia.  Tonight I had a Boca spicy "chicken" patty and spicy mac and cheese from a box.

I once had venison liver and was amazed with how good it way.

I'd marinated some vegetables and prepped them for grilling at a friend's house last night - only to get there and realize I'd committed the warm weather version of showing up at Thanksgiving and asking for oven space. So we just held the veggies back; there was plenty of other food and tons of stuff she bought to grill.

So tonight I broiled the leftover veggies and had them with some toast. (red peppers, mushrooms, zucchini slices, red onions) The marinade was just a simple olive oil, lemon juice, pepper, garlic, and oregano thing. But the oregano was from our garden, so I felt sort of accomplished about that. 

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, DrPusey said:

I'd marinated some vegetables and prepped them for grilling at a friend's house last night - only to get there and realize I'd committed the warm weather version of showing up at Thanksgiving and asking for oven space. So we just held the veggies back; there was plenty of other food and tons of stuff she bought to grill.

So tonight I broiled the leftover veggies and had them with some toast. (red peppers, mushrooms, zucchini slices, red onions) The marinade was just a simple olive oil, lemon juice, pepper, garlic, and oregano thing. But the oregano was from our garden, so I felt sort of accomplished about that. 

I was drooling reading this, grilled vegetables are my favorite.

• Upvote 1

OK, this is going to be dinner on Friday or Saturday. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 13 year old daughter made dinner tonight, with prep help from my husband. Japanese Amberjack done shioyaki style, with steamed rice and peas.

• Upvote 2

I'm trying my hand at a blue cheese stuffed burger tonight. I've never made my own burgers before, so I'm really excited about it!

• Upvote 5

I had leftover turkey chilli for dinner, but put some flank steak into a lemon-herb marinade for tomorrow. I'm going to roast wee potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and radishes to go with. Maybe some brown butter and thyme as a drizzle over the veg?

• Upvote 2

I'm cheating tonight--the grocery store near my house makes fabulous fried chicken, and while I was there late last night, I grabbed some for tonight.  had a hard time keeping Mr. CL and the dog away from it. 

• Upvote 1

This is a recipe handed down from my grandmother.  It can be cooked in a skillet on the stove, or in the crockpot and both turn out wonderfully.  Adjust the amount based on how many people you are feeding.  For just me and my son, I buy a package of 4 boneless thick pork chops.

Crockpot:

4 boneless, thick cut pork chops; 1 small can of tomato sauce, 2 stalks celery (chopped), 1 Tbsp brown sugar (or sugar substitute); 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice.

Brown pork chops in butter or oil, about 2 minutes on each side.  Pour a little of the tomato sauce on the bottom of crock pot, and place the browned chops on top.  Toss in the chopped celery, sprinkle in the sugar/sugar substitute and the lemon juice, then top with the rest of the tomato sauce.  Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.  

Most people would serve this with rice or pasta of some kind, which is yummy.  I can't have the carbs, so I serve it with a veggie of my choice. 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Today I have had cod with honey onions (onion cut in rings and slow cooked in a saucepan with a bit of honey). And a ruccula, tomato, carrots and nuts salad. And a glass of white wine, because it has been a long day today.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing a kind of DIY, guesstimating kind of recipe tonight. I'm roasting half a head of cauliflower with just some olive oil, pepper, and sea salt. I'll cook half a pound of wheat fusilli, and then drizzle some garlic infused olive-oil panko breadcrumbs over it all when I'm done. Probably some red grapes to go with.

• Upvote 4

I'm making a plant based bechamel and tofu "ricotta" and going to assemble a white lasagna for dinner! I may make a second pan to freeze for us to eat when we get home from our 4th of July vacation. 

• Upvote 1

Potato and garlic stew! Hubs and baby bear are going to have it with Tillamook grilled cheese on sourdough, mine will be Daiya on sourdough! 

• Upvote 2

I made a sweet potato spinach risotto. I was actually inspired by Jessa's cooking video, lol. Not because her food looked that good, but because the sweet potatoes reminded me of the risotto I love and I couldn't get the thought of it out of my head. Man it was good too.

• Upvote 1

Vegetarian soft tacos with mole sauce, grilled corn, and a margarita at the local campus hangout taco place. Then we went for gelato - I had lavender gelato, and it was amazing!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

One of my honey's favorite's last night.  I made meatloaf, mac n cheese, peas, and a peach cobbler.  I cheated with the cobbler and made the crust from a box mix instead of scratch, but it wasn't too bad.  At least the peaches were fresh.

• Upvote 2

I wanted beef so I made a pot roast with carrots, celery, green beans and mashed potatoes. Dessert was the strawberry jello/cream cheese/crushed pretzel thing but it was made with peaches and raspberry jello for a mock peach melba dessert.

• Upvote 2

Turkey meatballs, creamed spinach, salad - with one of our garden tomatoes! - and leftover Amish wide noodles.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight, I made homemade fried chicken, mashed potatoes, milk gravy and coleslaw.  The last time I remember frying chicken was... 1984.  At least.

The entire house smells like KFC.  I have opened every window I can.

It might be a while before I do this again.

It was delicious, though.

I bought Mr Wolfie a new grill today (which he is currently assembling at 12:43am) so we'll have some fun with it over the next few days. Pork chops tomorrow I think

• Upvote 1

I'm making sandwiches from a Smitten Kitchen recipe - melted Emmentaler cheese on dark rye bread with sweet and sour red onions. I've been snacking on peanuts while I wait for the sandwich to be done, and I ate a pluot too. Probably iced tea to go with the sandwich.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.