IGNORED

What's for Dinner- Part the third

keen23

Last night I made some brats and Italian sausages made fresh from a local butcher. I was not going to eat much since I am not normally a sausage eater- but they were awesome so I had a half of each type I bought. I sautéed peppers and onions and made a tomato cucumber salad.

Tonight, I am making pizza dough for some pizzas. I have some pesto to use up. Not very labor day holiday weekedndy but there you have it. I did get a skirt steak yesterday to marinade, I have never made one does anyone have a good recipe? I have some peppers to grill with it including pablanos. I think I will make corn and chipoltle soup today for lunches over the week.

The only thing I've ever done with skirt steak is fajitas and steak tacos. I learned from Bobby Flay you have to cut it on the bias as it can be too tough otherwise.

(Family likes them - I don't eat Mexican food so I'll take their word for it.)

Tomato and cucumber salad sounds wonderful, just added it to my dinner menu tonight (meatloaf).

• Upvote 1

Family BBQ tomorrow, which usually means a lot of little salads and spreads, then whatever protein you have going on the grill. So I am making quoinia salad with parsley, red tomato, red onion, cukes, mint. Am cooking down tomatoes and peppers for another spread. Sis is making hummus and cucumber with vinegar salad. Coz is bringing marinated octopus tzatziki. Auntie is making some steamed green that will be dressed in lemon and olive oil. Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers red onion feta dressed in olive oil. Couple of foil packs of feta, with olive oil and oregano sprinkled over, and grill foil packs for 5 minutes. Add bread.

Couple of chickens will be spilt to lay on grill like a book. Have grilled chicken, lots of sides is pretty traditional way we approach outdoor cookouts. Everyone usually wins.

Family BBQ tomorrow, which usually means a lot of little salads and spreads, then whatever protein you have going on the grill. So I am making quoinia salad with parsley, red tomato, red onion, cukes, mint. Am cooking down tomatoes and peppers for another spread. Sis is making hummus and cucumber with vinegar salad. Coz is bringing marinated octopus tzatziki. Auntie is making some steamed green that will be dressed in lemon and olive oil. Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers red onion feta dressed in olive oil. Couple of foil packs of feta, with olive oil and oregano sprinkled over, and grill foil packs for 5 minutes. Add bread.

Couple of chickens will be spilt to lay on grill like a book. Have grilled chicken, lots of sides is pretty traditional way we approach outdoor cookouts. Everyone usually wins.

I not that adventurous when it comes to food, but that grilled foil packs of feta sound amazing. Do you do like a pita bread with it, or more like a crostini?

Buffy, if you have a choice, go for the crostini or any other type of thick, peasant bread. Even thick slices of rye will go well with that cheese. Pita isn't a wrong choice flavorwise, it's just delicate and this prep is really rustic.

Buffy, if you have a choice, go for the crostini or any other type of thick, peasant bread. Even thick slices of rye will go well with that cheese. Pita isn't a wrong choice flavorwise, it's just delicate and this prep is really rustic.

That's what I was thinking, because feta is yummy but strong and I'd think you'd want something substantial so it's not overpowering the bread.

I don't always guess right about unfamiliar foods - kind of proud of myself. The headship is all over this. We did the salad I read about her today, the feta tomorrow...he's becoming an FJ fan by proxy through food!

We're going to Champps (champps.com) tonight for dinner. My brother in law's birthday is today and he wanted to go there for dinner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From a 1997 Bon Appetit recipe, broiled portobello mushroom sandwiches with watercress, red onions, and roasted garlic aioli. Snarfed a See's Caramel Apple Scotchmallow piece for dessert.

• 1 month later...

Figuring I'll be eating a lot on Thanksgiving and the day after, I'm trying to keep the beginning of the week light.  So today was a can of tuna in olive oil, with the addition of capers, sun dried tomatoes, and the juice of half a lemon.  Used bread to scoop it up.

The quick dinner left me with the energy to make cranberry sauce for Thursday and get started chopping ingredients for stuffing.  Onions and celery are chopped and bagged.  Tomorrow I can get right to cooking sausage and having most of the stuffing ready to bake Thursday morning.

• Upvote 1

we're going to a restaurant (big buffet) for Thanksgiving.  

somewhere upthread i mentioned how i showed the Chickenetti recipe to Mr. CatLady, and he thought it sounded completely repulsive.  so tonight for fun i sent him a text that we were having chickenetti, but i modified it by making basic spaghetti and topping it with parmesan and breaded chicken strips; i wasn't in the mood for beef.  it actually turned out pretty good.  i also make and can my own sauce with fresh tomatoes.

• Upvote 1

Left over Thanksgiving mashed potatoes were rolled into golf balls, coated with breadcrumbs and fried.  Served with leftover cranberry sauce and leftover garlic dip.  Leftover green beans almondine on the side with a few disks of Greek sausage.

We shredded some vegetables and some duck we had leftover from Thanksgiving then made moo shu duck on scallion crepes with tamarind and hoisin sauce. Yum!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I envy y'all who are eating real food. This week's menu is wine, coffee, and/or dry cereal. I'm so looking forward to winter break and normalcy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight was avgolemono.  Chicken, rice, and carrot soup that has been fortified with tempered egg yolks and lemon juice.  Sliced avocado with EVOO and lemon as a salad.   

• Upvote 3

Potato gnocchi with bacon, onions and broiled with Swiss cheese on top.  Husband is on a weight gain plan.  I had a Lean Cuisine.  There is no justice. :)

• Upvote 1

Our younger son got a job at a new place in the mall...sushi "burritos". Sounds weird, looks delicious. I think we may wander out there tonight and give them a try and see what all the fuss is about. Evidently it is quite the thing in the Bay area, brought here from there.

Tonight, I'm making stuffing waffles topped with chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy.  

A friend of mine made stuffing waffles topped with an egg the day after thanksgiving when we were up at the cottage, and I vowed to try it sometime.  I  was talking with friends about leftovers and I was reminded of this meal, so I decided to give it a go tonight.  Of course we have no leftovers, so I am making everything from scratch... well except the stuffing. I am just making that from a  box. Seems like a good use for stove top. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted lemon-blueberry pancakes, but I'm too lazy tonight. Instead I'm chomping on dry cereal and drinking Pinot Noir. Caviar, Myanmar, mid-sized car....

• 2 weeks later...

I just started a lot of tomato soup that should be finished in about 30 minutes, and have a small pot with some quinoa going next to it.  I'm going to eat them with some more of the cabbage slaw I made this past weekend.

There is a big winter storm that has my area in its crosshairs for Friday night through Saturday.  I am currently trying to decide what slow cooking comfort food I want to make to pass the time during the storm.

Coconut Lime Shrimp Soup. 

Replicated the recipe from a local Thai restaurant. It's so nice and light while still being filling. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Pretty simple tonight, but tasty:  a big piece of sourdough toast, topped with smashed up avocado. Avocado toast! A big glass of unsweetened iced tea to drink.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Hubby is frying up morels tonight!! I've been waiting since last year for this!

• Upvote 2

I made breakfast for supper.... oven baked bacon, over easy eggs, sourdough toast and .... and... those crazy good and bad for you Simply Potatoes (hash browns) with the cheese and sour cream added .... Mr MM doesn't like cheesy things.... darn!  More for me.  That recipe is evil.

• Upvote 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.