IGNORED

What's for Dinner- Part the third

keen23

Catlady, let me know if you want to mix it up a bit-- I've got an applesauce ice cream recipe that originated at around the time I realized just how enormous a bushel is.

A couple nights ago, we made this tasty spaghetti pangrattato: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/02/ ... ried-eggs/

Last night, I stuffed avocados with black bean salsa (because The Partner's sister is not that excited about asparagus or artichokes, but loves the third spring vegetable to show up at the market).

Tonight I'll have leftover Burmese food, conserving cooking energy for Wednesday, when we'll have a friend over for a cooking party.

AreteJo, I think you won the great aunt lottery. :)

RachelB, the applesauce ice cream sounds interesting; i'd love a copy of the recipe.

I do make about 2 dozen half-pint jars every year and stash them in my desk at work--great snack.

still have 2+ feet of snow in the garden, but 5 straight weeks of less than 25F finally ended the other day, so we will see dirt soon.....

Applesauce ice cream (makes 1 gallon)

I begin with unsweetened applesauce, but then I have a tart tooth. If you sweeten your sauce, start by using less sugar in the batter and adjust as needed. At least the first time you make this, you'll want to taste it for sweet-tart balance.

2 quarts applesauce

1 pint cream

1 pint whole milk

1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1 1/3 c. sugar (approximate)

1 Tbsp. vanilla

Mix applesauce, cream, and spices in a large pot or bowl. Add the sugar a bit at a time (I generally add 1/3 cup at a time) and dissolve. You may need to heat the mixture to get the sugar to dissolve.

Taste for sweetness, keeping in mind that the batter will taste less sweet when it is frozen. Add the vanilla. Adjust other spices as desired.

Chill batter. Then freeze according ice cream maker manufacturer's directions. (If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can make a very small batch of this recipe using Harold McGee's freezer bag method: http://www.curiouscook.com/site/2008/08 ... a-bag.html)

Enjoy!

Tonight I am roasting asparagus, dressing it with mustard vinaigrette, putting it on toast, and draping it with a poached egg.

Keep forgetting I love this thread. I NEED to buy an ice-cream machine. Will put that on my list.

Mondays are come rain or (sleet today) or shine Rugby for Wee Miss Ok. One filthy, muddy, freezing cold child :lol:

So comfort food day. Today braising steak. Well fired in black pepper and sea salt then removed. Sauteed the onions in the brown goodness, suede, carrot, celery, beef stock and a bouquet garni. Sitting in my large Le Creuset for the next three hours. Will serve it with a huge dollop of horseradish and some crusty bread to soak up the goodness. Simple and tasty.Greek yog and clementines to cleanse.

I also scored a fabulous deal on some Scottish salmon fillets today. I'm not a salmon lover at all, but the other two love it. Anybody got any interesting ideas or recipes that are a bit different?

I'm kind of boring with my salmon fillets: poached in skillet with about 4 cups of water, juice of one or two lemons, 7-8 cloves of sliced garlic, copious oregano. Simmer all the ingredients except salmon until garlic is soft. Turn heat down to barely simmering and lay fillets in till poached, about 10 minutes. Lay in a few lemon slices, about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and adjust sauce with lemon juice and salt to taste. Make rice or couscous or mashed potatoes to pour sauce over, have bread around for mop up.

What is suede?

Anatolian beef stew tonight. Beef short ribs braised in tomato, onion, garlic, tomato paste, some wine, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, garlic. Sauté aromatic and then beef, deglaze with wine, add tomato products and spices, cover, transfer to oven and walk away. Last hour of cooking put in carrots and butternut squash, throw in frozen peas 5 minutes before taking out of oven. Served over egg noodles, though this is just as good over rice, mashed regular or sweet potato, polenta, etc.

Kiwis in today's brown bag.

I'm kind of boring with my salmon fillets: poached in skillet with about 4 cups of water, juice of one or two lemons, 7-8 cloves of sliced garlic, copious oregano. Simmer all the ingredients except salmon until garlic is soft. Turn heat down to barely simmering and lay fillets in till poached, about 10 minutes. Lay in a few lemon slices, about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and adjust sauce with lemon juice and salt to taste. Make rice or couscous or mashed potatoes to pour sauce over, have bread around for mop up.

What is suede?

Anatolian beef stew tonight. Beef short ribs braised in tomato, onion, garlic, tomato paste, some wine, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, garlic. Sauté aromatic and then beef, deglaze with wine, add tomato products and spices, cover, transfer to oven and walk away. Last hour of cooking put in carrots and butternut squash, throw in frozen peas 5 minutes before taking out of oven. Served over egg noodles, though this is just as good over rice, mashed regular or sweet potato, polenta, etc.

Kiwis in today's brown bag.

OMG :lol:

Suede is a pleasant type of brushed leather WHICH I did not eat last night, that being swede a type of turnip ....Auto correct wins that one I think :lol: I'm a total fanny!

I shall try above Miss OK loves everything and all mediterranean in flavour so that should be right up her street :)

I was wondering how long to cook leather till tender...:lol:

Today was braised peas and potatoes in olive oil and a little water. Lots of mint and dill. Feta to crumble in sauce, bread to mop up sauce and feta. Roasted red peppers and avocado slices for the salad. Tangerines.

Last night was butter beans with carrot, onion, and garlic baked in tomato sauce, bay leaf, and lots of oregano drizzled with olive oil. Bread and cheese. Arugula and avocado salad.

A salad of roasted beets, steamed asparagus, and steamed fennel, dressed with a white wine reduction sauce and topped with toasted pine nuts.

Corned beef, cabbage, and boiled potatoes. Berry trifle. Irish soda bread. Today was the St Patrick's Day Parade in my hometown, which means my friend's mom makes the fixings for those coming back home to view the parade. I was unable to go, so my friend brought dinner to me. :D

Cindyluvs24- Butter Beans

Soak a pound of dried butter beans overnight. Rinse and boil beans in water with bay. Leaves and 2-3 cloves of garlic, unpeeled. Add salt toward the end. When beans are done, strain.

Now mix beans and 2-3 carrots sliced on the diagonal. Sauté 3 cloves of sliced garlic, one large chopped onion, and one 28 ounce can whole tomatoes that have been drain, or equal amount of chopped canned tomato and 1 tablespoon of tomato paste. If using whole tomato, cut them up with a knife. Cook sauce down with 1 cup of water about 15 minutes with a pinch of sugar, salt, and hot pepper flake if you like a bit of heat. Mix beans, carrots, and sauce together. Sprinkle generously with dried oregano and pepper. Put into 9x14 baking dish and drizzle top with olive oil. Put into 350 degree oven for about 1 hour, until beans are very soft and a crust is formed on top. Serve with good bread and cheese. Can be served hot, cold, or room temp. You can boil the beans one night and finish in the oven the second night to spread the cooking time.

Last night, soba noodles with a spicy sauce and shredded cucumber and wakame. (It was tasty, but it seems that wakame does not agree with me.)

Tonight, leftover spring vegetable salad.

Tortellini soup (tomato, kale, peas, broth, cheese tortellini). Roasted asparagus.

This sounds so good. I want to make tortellini but the 90+ weather doesn't make me want to eat anything big.

Last night's lunch/dinner was a throw together of meat + green beans and cheesy mac with taco seasoning, makes it a little spicy and so so good.

^ I love Deb at The Smitten Kitchen. I have been following that blog for 7 years and have honestly never made a bad meal following her recipes.

Last night was mixed greens wrapped in phyllo triangles with salad Olivier, or what my family calls "Russian Salad"

^ I'm just jealous that you can get watercress at your local farmers' market.

We grabbed sandwiches after a shopping trip. Mine was a grilled vegetable club on ciabatta bread with goat cheese and pesto.

The market is a wonderful place, Dr. Pusey. The Partner got me to move out here by sending me nectarines every week during stone fruit season ten years ago-- going to all the stalls, figuring out which variety I'd like best, packing them carefully, and shipping them flat rate.

Tonight we made a stuffed artichoke dish out of Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty. Bread and mild goat cheese alongside. The flavors were great, but the ratio of fiddly to tasty to wasted bits of artichoke was off. Next time we'll not bother stuffing the artichokes but simply steam them, cook the filling separately as an accompaniment, and add some of the herbs to a dipping sauce for the artichokes.

Mint ice cream for dessert.

Off topic but related: I got a cookbook from the library The Family Cooks by Laurie David. I love it so much I've already ordered my own copy. I haven't tried any recipes yet (need to shop) but I want to try her Miso Glazed Black Cod. I've never had black cod but I'm excited to try it.

tonight was pork chops with mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts, and homemade applesauce (I haven't yet had time to do RachelB's ice cream recipe, but it's on my list). I will have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

the re-ordered crock-pot is finally en route (second try, I have an odd size and the first one didn't fit), so I'm looking forward to easy week-night dinners once again. the 2-quart doesn't easily feed 3 adults, so I always have to do more cooking with it.

Mr. Catlady has bowling tomorrow and I work late, so he will probably do spaghetti and homemade sauce.

Tonight, a quick pre-choir dinner-- I'm having leftover seasoned rice from the night we did taco bowls, spiked with salsa and topped with a poached egg.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.