IGNORED

Apostolic Sport Skirts

ariel9

So I was watching Youtube like a typical human. When I noticed a video in my subscription about Apostolic Sportswear. Now while contemplating to click I expected shirts with scriptures on them. What I found was so much more snarkable: Sports Skirts. Yes sports skirts not because if you're not modest then you're not the special snow flake. I guess now the fundie ladies can participate in sports besides their daily stay in shape for courtship walk or making blessing number eleventy.

I attempted to embed the video for it so enjoy!

or the link if you can't see it!

I started following Apostolic Clothing on FB just for fun and I ended up buying a skirt yesterday lol.

apostolicclothing.com/long-skirts/2481-a-line-baroque-print-maxi-skirt.html

I think it looks more hippie than apostolic.

So it looks like they took men's basketball shorts and made them into skirts. Kind of like what the duggar girls did to paramedic pants to make a skirt. :roll: Thanks for the video- it was interesting having a guy talk about the subject of skirts only.

I have worn sports skirts, I like sports skirts....however mine are more like:

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/multi ... id-1566582 hardly modest by fundie standards but very functional and nice to wear for athletes.

The maxi skirt that NotALoserLikeYou showed is cute and normal but the sports skirts are ugly - imo.

And why did Jana have to do all that sewing?! They sell skirt extenders! apostolicclothing.com/54-skirt-extenders

That was a fairly interesting video. Like he said, the company is smart for capitalizing on that particular niche market. As for the skirts themselves, I don't find them particularly horrible or great. I think long basketball shorts or baggy sweatpants are probably more modest, but I guess if you're strictly skirts only these aren't the worst option.

Re: the apostolicclothing.com skirt, it's really cute. I browsed some of their other skirts and quite a lot of them are actually stylish. Some are butt ugly and definitely scream "fundie!", but there are some I would wear if I had more occasions to look nice.

I started following Apostolic Clothing on FB just for fun and I ended up buying a skirt yesterday lol.

apostolicclothing.com/long-skirts/2481-a-line-baroque-print-maxi-skirt.html

I think it looks more hippie than apostolic.

There is nothing holy or modest about the graphics on that skirt! (Not saying I don't love it, just saying. . .well, what would Stevehova say about where the eye is drawn?)

They sell skirt extenders! apostolicclothing.com/54-skirt-extenders

Wait. So now it's modest to have your slip, aka undergarment, hanging down below your skirt hemline? My fundie mother must be rolling in her grave.

Those remind me of HS. I was on the Pom Pon squad at my Catholic HS and sometimes our teams played a Baptist school in our city. Their cheerleaders and Poms had skirts that looked just like our very short cheer skirts, but theirs were knee length. To me, they looked so heavy and difficult to move in - the opposite of what a dancer or cheerleader needs. I always wondered if they wished they could wear short, easy to move in skirts like ours -- but now I realize that they didn't and that they thought we were sinful whores trying to defraud all of their men and boys.

Obviously, it's only of interest to people who wouldn't wear regular athletic clothing, but I don't see much that's snarkworthy about the site.

These products are made for those who not compromise on certain modesty requirements. Period. Without these products, they would either be doing sports/swimming with clothing that is totally not appropriate - and possibly risky - or simply not engaging in those activities at all. These products allow them to participate, in a way that is comfortable for them.

Many of the modest clothing suppliers also tend to be small businesses run by women.

BTW - there are also non-fundie women who tend to avoid sports/swimming because they don't want to wear shorts or bathing suits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat_Ate_My_Gymsuit

I nearly flunked phys. ed. because I refused to change into gym shorts.

I think my body makes a lot of things on that website immodest. :dance: Also I can see a lot of positions where that skirt would no loner be modest.

Some of the skirts are designed with attached shorts underneath, some are designed to be worn on top of leggings. You don't wear sport skirts on their own.

^^ Oh yeah, a sport skirt would definitely not be worn on its own.

When I was in high school, we literally had an Apostolic PE class. Sometimes it scares me how much I see on FJ that DOESN'T surprise me :embarrassed: they didn't/couldn't/wouldn't wear the standard PE uniform (plain tee shirt and shorts in school colors), so they got their own special class where they could play volleyball and other things you could apparently do better in skirts? But the apo boys participated, too. I never understood why they couldn't just get a skirt/leggings or for boys, pants in the school colors and be in regular classes, but obviously I was not part of the discussion.

post-170-14451999727692_thumb.gif

When I was in jr. high back in the dark ages (before color tv) we had to wear these one piece garments that buttoned up the front and had a faux belt for the waist. They were pea green to start with but after a few months faded to mint. The legs came down to mid thigh. Fugly but even our strictest SBC classmates wore them, except for dancing. That was forbidden. They had to sit down on the bleachers while we schottished and Virginia Reeled around them.

[attachment=0]bluebloomers.gif[/attachment]

When I was in jr. high back in the dark ages (before color tv) we had to wear these one piece garments that buttoned up the front and had a faux belt for the waist. They were pea green to start with but after a few months faded to mint. The legs came down to mid thigh. Fugly but even our strictest SBC classmates wore them, except for dancing. That was forbidden. They had to sit down on the bleachers while we schottished and Virginia Reeled around them.

OMG, I remember those! :lol: My sister had to wear them in Jr. High for PE and they were UGLY. Fortunately she was a couple of years older than me and when I got there they had phased them out in favor of t-shirts and (still) ugly shorts.

MY gym suit was a dress with those bloomers underneath! That was our basketball uniform, too! Catholic high school, early 70s.

Wearing a skirt while in this position: would certainly NOT be modest lol.

CampInfoBottom.jpeg

Ah, but fundie women would NEVER lift weights. It's a man sport. They need to stick to more feminine pursuits. Too bad house keeping isn't an olympic sport. (though my mum came close to making another fundie pursuit an olympmic sport, bargain shopping! She could make our "buy used, save the difference" fundie look extravagant

Ah, but fundie women would NEVER lift weights. It's a man sport. They need to stick to more feminine pursuits. Too bad house keeping isn't an olympic sport. (though my mum came close to making another fundie pursuit an olympmic sport, bargain shopping! She could make our "buy used, save the difference" fundie look extravagant

Tell that to the gorgeous woman in the pic :P

[attachment=0]bluebloomers.gif[/attachment]

OMG! I remember wearing this uniform in my middle school gym classes - hated it because it was so hard for me (a fat girl) to get in and out of. I resented that the team leaders got to wear black shorts and white tee shirts instead.

They could (but they would never(!)) borrow from the insanity of Ranma 1/2 where they have things like Martial Arts Tea Ceremony, Martial Arts Dining (competitors do battle to see who can eat the most the fastest, while aiming to be so quick and neat that they cannot even be seen to open their mouths or swallow the food.), Martial Arts Takeout, etc.. The fundies can add Martial Arts Doily Dusting, Martial Arts Savior Scrapbooking, Martial Arts 'Blessing' Blessing, Martial Arts Frumperizing, etc.

This makes me think of church camp- we had to wear long culottes which where pants that are super blousy and look like a skirt and went to mid calf length to play volleyball or softball. They were very hot and made of thick material. Bleh!

Also- no mixed swimming. Girls always had a swim time in the AM and boys in the afternoon.

This makes me think of church camp- we had to wear long culottes which where pants that are super blousy and look like a skirt and went to mid calf length to play volleyball or softball. They were very hot and made of thick material. Bleh!

Also- no mixed swimming. Girls always had a swim time in the AM and boys in the afternoon.

Because same-sex attraction doesn't exist. :roll:

I am totally ambivalent about what people wear for sports, as long as it's appropriate to their performance. And for most sports, I don't see those skirts impeding movement too much. They're essentially basketball shorts.

But they sell a swimming skirt on their site. :( Whenever I'm goofing off in the pool and actually want to do something semi-athletic, I rip of my (short!) board shorts immediately because even those add an obnoxious and noticeable amount of drag. I can't even imagine swimming in something as bulky as a knee length skirt. As someone who believes sports can be very empowering, I feel bad because a good swimmer might never realize how talented she is because she is forced to wear debilitating clothing

Some of the stuff is cute...

But then there is this :?

apostolicclothing.com/customized-non-denim/927-velour-hoodie-and-skirt-suit-set.html

Archived