IGNORED

Awfully Altered Modest is Not Hottest Wedding Gown Explained

nelliebelle1197

Olivia, our dear little monetized modesty blogger, Olivia, has the journey of a slutty strapless wedding gown that suddenly became a good Christian t shirt wedding dress through the hard work of one dedicated virgin and her handy seamstress sidekick.

freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2014/11/friends-of-fresh-modesty-october.html

centerhttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4pfCqKqqO8w/VFjmtNDHwMI/AAAAAAAAtn8/hLLcGI5Y0vY/s1600/Dress.jpg

The bride claims the modest dresses out there are too expensive. A quick of something called the internet only pulled up about 6,790 modest dresses for weddings under $400, many under $200.

So the only conclusion I can draw is that many modest brides just want to show off how modest and non conforming they are. Which means they aren't modest. Just confused. Mystery solved.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[dir=rtl][/dir]

What's the point in being modest if no one notices you doing it?

Very funny!

Ehhhhh......maybe it looks better on?

That dress is hideous (sorry). And for the person on Olivia's blog that couldn't even tell it had been altered: Yes, I can. In the first zoomed-out pic of the wedding party, it is very obvious. In fact, in that pic, you can't even see the lace, you can only see the two different types of fabric. These people need to stop. They spend all of their time thrifting and showing off their finds, yet can't come up with a cheap but modest wedding dress. I'm sorry, but I really don't believe them. At all.

What's the point in being modest if no one notices you doing it?

Yep. You summed it up, baby. :lol:

I'm okay with the wedding dress alteration; it makes me more nervous to see brides who are in danger of falling out of their strapless gown, or (worse) gaping when the top of the strapless doesn't fit snugly enough. When done just right, though, it is always stunning. Anyway, Princess Kate seems to have brought brides back to the "sweeter", less fleshy look.

I'm fascinated, though, by the bridesmaids dresses, each a different length from frumper ankle length to just below the knee (almost defrauding!). I guess each bridesmaid got to choose?

It does seems like there are two approaches to modesty -- one is the frumper matron and the other is cuter. Girls are soooooo lucky that leggings are in style. The can wear shorter dresses with leggings instead of long skirts, if the family headship approves, of course. Perfect for sitting around the kitchen table while being homeschooled.

One pretty funny thing on the Fresh Modesty site -- there is a guide to sewing denim with an example of a floor-length skirt that is basically a burqa skirt. The silhouette is described as "flattering". Wha? You can't see that there is a body in there to flatter. However, the skirt sits very low on the waist, so low, in fact that to me it sort of draws attention to the wearer's potential fecundity.

But, guess what? Guys will still still have erotic thoughts no matter what you are wearing! Yes, yes they will.

Fundies have made an Idol of Female Modesty.

I still can't help but think that some of our southern fundies are unwilling to order from Mormon-owned modest bridal websites (of which there are many), and are even more unwilling to order from orthodox Jewish ones. But they won't say that out loud (Mitt Romney might hear!)

But, guess what? Guys will still still have erotic thoughts no matter what you are wearing! Yes, yes they will.

Oh definitely. Years ago a coworker took a fancy to me and told me one day that I looked totally hot. And I was completely covered up that day.

Looks like a Roman Catholic church, but I can't imagine a RC parish where women wear head coverings any more.. the dress alterations don't bother me nearly as much as some others I've seen. At least an attempt was made to match fabrics and disguise the alterations by adding some lace. The neckline was ok-ish; the sleeves unfortunate.

I still can't help but think that some of our southern fundies are unwilling to order from Mormon-owned modest bridal websites (of which there are many), and are even more unwilling to order from orthodox Jewish ones. But they won't say that out loud (Mitt Romney might hear!)

I have long been wondering if this is the case. They know that they'll have to tell their friends where they got their dress. They don't want to have to admit to the shame of buying a dress from a Mormon website, and they can't lie about where they got it in case they get caught in the act, so they buy a strapless gown at a local store instead, and alter it to the hilt. As an added bonus they can brag about having made a worldly gown "Godly."

If you're going to insist on headcoverings, why not, you know, put them on your head? The prayer shawl look is awkward in the photos.

My guess on the bridesmaid dresses? They were clearanced at Lands End, and all they had left were the three floor models in different lengths. It was more important to be cheap than have matching dresses, so they went with it.

I'm not clear on what she means by $200 for the alterations. Is that what she paid her friend plus spent on the extra matching fabric?

And yeah, it is painfully clear that the dress has been altered. Too bad she didn't spend the $200 on professional alterations. Those sleeves look off, and the altered neckline looks obvious.

Some of the dresses designed for Muslim brides would work as well. I can hear the screaming from here, so I won't be visiting any blogs to suggest it. :lol:

Given they are remodeling dresses anyway, why not just have these stay at home moms and daughters make the dress to begin with?

I'm not clear on what she means by $200 for the alterations. Is that what she paid her friend plus spent on the extra matching fabric?

And yeah, it is painfully clear that the dress has been altered. Too bad she didn't spend the $200 on professional alterations. Those sleeves look off, and the altered neckline looks obvious.

even if the $200 included the fabric and other material, she overpaid. :? an altered dress should not look altered, that's the beauty of a professional alteration.

Oh definitely. Years ago a coworker took a fancy to me and told me one day that I looked totally hot. And I was completely covered up that day.

My husband tells me that one of the sexiest outfits I wore while dating I was covered neck to toe. I had on a turtle neck cashmere sweater, a wool straight skirt an inch or 2 above the knee, black tights, black knee high boots, and a long wool coat. Que up Short skirt and a loooong jacket! I was dressed normally, and warmly because it was fricken cold, but he says just how it looked was HOT.

As for me? The sexiest thing for me is a man with a real bow tie untied hanging around his neck and top button undone while wearing a tuxedo. Note in the linked picture, Daniel Craig is completely and modestly dressed, but is just so danged sexy. But women aren't supposed to think lustful thoughts... http://kingpinchic.files.wordpress.com/ ... -craig.jpg

Someone please send Jessa to explain to these people that it is possible to have a modest wedding dress and not look like you are wearing a tshirt underneath a strapless dress. Her dress was both modest and beautiful.

Someone please send Jessa to explain to these people that it is possible to have a modest wedding dress and not look like you are wearing a tshirt underneath a strapless dress. Her dress was both modest and beautiful.

Exactly. And since wedding dress styles change every decade or so, it seems in a few years they will probably actually have to try to find ones that HAVE to be altered, to show how difficult it is for them to fit in.

I can understand doing one, maybe two, alterations if you are just completely in love with a dress but would really like a sleeve OR a more covered neckline, and maybe a small detail. If you have a good seamstress and can't find anything else you're in love with. But there are so, so, SO many options out there --- why basically try to remake the whole dress? And they do, mostly, sew. So why not just, you know, make the dress you want?

Geeze, I was only a barely passable seamstress, 18 years old, working full time, AND pregnant, and I still managed to sew my wedding dress for my first wedding ( well my mom helped -- but she was working full time too) . And it was made extra difficult by my rapidly changing figure. And since it was in the Laura Ashley, Gunnee Sax early 80's era, it was so covered up it would of made these women look like harlots. So there. :lol: It still looked pretty, IMHO.

As for me? The sexiest thing for me is a man with a real bow tie untied hanging around his neck and top button undone while wearing a tuxedo. Note in the linked picture, Daniel Craig is completely and modestly dressed, but is just so danged sexy. But women aren't supposed to think lustful thoughts... http://kingpinchic.files.wordpress.com/ ... -craig.jpg

ok, ok, OK! Clutching pearls with one hand and fanning like mad with the other. That man is SO INSANELY HAWT! Got to get to the fainting couch ASAP.

Looks like a Roman Catholic church, but I can't imagine a RC parish where women wear head coverings any more.. the dress alterations don't bother me nearly as much as some others I've seen. At least an attempt was made to match fabrics and disguise the alterations by adding some lace. The neckline was ok-ish; the sleeves unfortunate.

Not RC but familiar with a family who only attend Latin Mass and who insisted that their daughter wear a sleeved bolero jacket over her bridesmaids gown in her brother's wedding. The other maids -- all sisters of the bride -- had boleros with small cap sleeves. Their whole arms showed, gasp.

No head coverings for anybody but the bride had her veil, of course.

That dress looks like my great-grandmother's wedding dress. I'm not even kidding! Seriously though, it's not hard to find modest wedding dresses at reasonable prices.

even if the $200 included the fabric and other material, she overpaid. :? an altered dress should not look altered, that's the beauty of a professional alteration.

Have you priced alterations recently? I could send all Four to college if I had a regular alterations business... and I must say that the alterations on that dress were Well Done. It is difficult to fix that sort of top onto that sort of dress without lots of pulling and stitches showing, and to have it fit the way it did? Not only that, but the seamstress did a bit of work finding the right kind/color/weight of bridal satin, and that yardage isn't cheap.That was good work. *I* wouldn't pay that for those alterations, but I know how to sew. (I just saved my sister a buncha money by altering her dress for her son's wedding..)

Have you priced alterations recently? I could send all Four to college if I had a regular alterations business... and I must say that the alterations on that dress were Well Done. It is difficult to fix that sort of top onto that sort of dress without lots of pulling and stitches showing, and to have it fit the way it did? Not only that, but the seamstress did a bit of work finding the right kind/color/weight of bridal satin, and that yardage isn't cheap.That was good work. *I* wouldn't pay that for those alterations, but I know how to sew. (I just saved my sister a buncha money by altering her dress for her son's wedding..)

i think you may have misread my post. i didn't mean that it was overpriced in general, i meant that any amount of money paid towards the alterations in that dress is too much. honestly, it's pretty obvious that it's an altered dress. with a good alteration, that shouldn't be obvious, but it is to me. if i had a handy link, i'd post the "how about no" bear, because that's what i thought when i looked at it. :hand:

One pretty funny thing on the Fresh Modesty site -- there is a guide to sewing denim with an example of a floor-length skirt that is basically a burqa skirt. The silhouette is described as "flattering". Wha? You can't see that there is a body in there to flatter. However, the skirt sits very low on the waist, so low, in fact that to me it sort of draws attention to the wearer's potential fecundity. .

Okay, I guess I'm finally getting old and frumpy :embarrassed: because that skirt looks reeaaaallly comfy. I would seriously consider getting one, but that seems awfully expensive.

I left my fundy roots far behind long ago, but I am still uncomfortable wearing pantsuits (jeans and yoga pants are okay; I think it's wearing pants in a professional environment that makes me uncomfortable), and I would rather wear skirts over jeans any day. I guess you can take the girl out of the fundy, but you can never completely take the fundy out of the girl :lol:

And I noticed that the bride belongs to an "FSSP [Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter] traditional Catholic parish" so that explains the headcoverings.

FSSP explains it, although I have a very non-fundie Episcopalian friend who is going to become a priest, but sometimes wears a headcovering at mass - she's ex-Catholic though, and her church is super super high-church.

Honestly I really like that wedding dress and would wear it :embarrassed: I like sleeves on wedding dresses but don't like lots of lace, and predictably because of the royal wedding they're the dresses with sleeves that are around. I don't think it looks bad that the added-on piece looks different, I think that looks good - it reminds me of dresses with sheer/mesh sleeves and neckline, it's a bit 50s-ish.

Archived