IGNORED

Awfully Altered Modest is Not Hottest Wedding Gown Explained

nelliebelle1197

i think you may have misread my post. i didn't mean that it was overpriced in general, i meant that any amount of money paid towards the alterations in that dress is too much. honestly, it's pretty obvious that it's an altered dress. with a good alteration, that shouldn't be obvious, but it is to me. if i had a handy link, i'd post the "how about no" bear, because that's what i thought when i looked at it. :hand:

Whoops. I guess I did. I do think it's obviously altered, but to me, the alterations show in the weird length of the sleeves and the incredible severity of them. Compared to the ruching and embellishment of the rest of the dress, I think the sleeves glaringly scream ALTERED!... so many nicer sleeve choices.... lace, a little fullness, ruched... wouldn't have shown so much. Ditto the neckline.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think you may have misread my post. i didn't mean that it was overpriced in general, i meant that any amount of money paid towards the alterations in that dress is too much. honestly, it's pretty obvious that it's an altered dress. with a good alteration, that shouldn't be obvious, but it is to me. if i had a handy link, i'd post the "how about no" bear, because that's what i thought when i looked at it. :hand:

Whoops. I guess I did. I do think it's obviously altered, but to me, the alterations show in the weird length of the sleeves and the incredible severity of them. Compared to the ruching and embellishment of the rest of the dress, I think the sleeves glaringly scream ALTERED!... so many nicer sleeve choices.... lace, a little fullness, ruched... wouldn't have shown so much. Ditto the neckline.

The alterations are ridiculous. They're better than some of the ones we've seen, but this girl lives in an area with plenty of modest wedding gowns and entire shops devoted to modest gowns. (Also, per the comments she was married in July and is already pregnant, but given that the bridesmaids had head coverings I'm going with Fundie Catholic).

Speaking of the 'maids, I knew I had seen that dress before (Lands' End). They might be two different lengths (LE does that sometimes, sells the same dress as knee and mid-calf, and sometimes sells it in petite and regular lengths as well). Either that, or the tall girl's is hemmed. I can't decide if they are more or less snarkworthy than the dresses the Seppi girls wore at Dinah's transfer of authority ceremony.

That dress reminds me of my grandmother's wedding dress from just after WWII. As this was before Vatican 2, in the wedding pictures I've seen that were actually taken at the church, all the women had some type of lace head covering on, not just my grandma in her veil. My grandparents came from devoutly Catholic families, so that's the type of wedding they had.

My husband tells me that one of the sexiest outfits I wore while dating I was covered neck to toe. I had on a turtle neck cashmere sweater, a wool straight skirt an inch or 2 above the knee, black tights, black knee high boots, and a long wool coat. Que up Short skirt and a loooong jacket! I was dressed normally, and warmly because it was fricken cold, but he says just how it looked was HOT.

As for me? The sexiest thing for me is a man with a real bow tie untied hanging around his neck and top button undone while wearing a tuxedo. Note in the linked picture, Daniel Craig is completely and modestly dressed, but is just so danged sexy. But women aren't supposed to think lustful thoughts... http://kingpinchic.files.wordpress.com/ ... -craig.jpg

That's why the fundie men wear khakis and polos, not suits.

I think the care less about modest apparel than they do obviously looking different as a way to call out how special they are. And I think the more obvious it looks like it was changed from the original sinful style, just adds to their warped sense of "Look at us, we know it is hideous, but we are doin' it for the Lord".

What makes me mad is that I used to wear longer denim skirts and maxi skirts a lot and loved the look and feel. I didn't do it for modest reason, just did it because I liked the style. In the early '90's those longer flowing skirts were very popular.

I still have a T-shirt dress that comes to just about the ankle. It is literally made out of gray t-shirt material but definitely not modest as it has a fairly deep V neck.

But now the darned fundies have ruined wearing these styles because I really don't want to wear anything that would tie me to the whack-a-doodles

PP only seems to wear suits or offensive Tshirts. His suits do NOTHING for me.

The beauty of a suit lies in it's cut and it's fit and there's no way to fudge those things.

PP's 'suits ' might bear a passing resemblance to men's business wear on the rack but that's as far as it goes. They're badly cut out of lousy quality polyester and they sag in some spots, pull in others and fit in none. I think an average potato sack would look better.

I always thought the fundie men who wear polo shorts and khakis are purposely trying to look casual and approachable. Or should I say "purposing" to look approachable.

Just for those who are wondering above:

These people are traditional, Latin Mass, cover heads in church Catholic. The lace around the bridesmaids' necks is a covering. The bridesmaids dresses are indeed from Land's End - on sale for $26 with NUDE shoes from Payless (TLo, fashion bloggers, would die at a glimpse). There are several back and forths from the comments.

Finally went to the actual blog post. The dress does look much prettier on, in my opinion.

Looked through the actual blog, which I don't think I'd seen before. I was enjoying reading her post about building a modest wardrobe for under $300, cause I like budget type info. She has this very nice, basic, wardrobe with some good suggestions of where to find things super cheap. The priciest thing is $25. EXCEPT for the denim skirt that she designed, that will sell for $78. :shock: I guess she's not actually selling it yet, but, is it just me, or does it seem like really, really bad marketing to list your one item in a piece about budgeting, and have it cost 3 times what any other item costs?

Maybe it's been discussed before, but it stuck out to me. She seems like a nice enough girl, and good for her for trying to make some cash -- but yikes, that's a lot of money!

Just for those who are wondering above:

These people are traditional, Latin Mass, cover heads in church Catholic. The lace around the bridesmaids' necks is a covering. The bridesmaids dresses are indeed from Land's End - on sale for $26 with NUDE shoes from Payless (TLo, fashion bloggers, would die at a glimpse). There are several back and forths from the comments.

yeah, what's with the nude shoes? I guess they don't want to go to the expense of "dyed to match" but they looked pretty noticeable with Jill's bridesmaids, too... especially paired with the brown belts.

What's the answer?

yeah, what's with the nude shoes? I guess they don't want to go to the expense of "dyed to match" but they looked pretty noticeable with Jill's bridesmaids, too... especially paired with the brown belts.

What's the answer?

i think it's just that nude is a popular shoe colour these days.

Oh definitely. Years ago a coworker took a fancy to me and told me one day that I looked totally hot. And I was completely covered up that day.

Yes. Having a bigger chest than average, I've had more unsolicited comments than I care to count. Last time it happened, I was on my way home from work so even though it was the middle of June, I was wearing a jumper, black trousers and plain black boots. Hardly flaunting it.

I'd never read this blog before. Her post on why church is important was so bless-her-heart bitchy as she explained why her friend was, like, so wrong to skip church. I mean gosh she herself felt ill that very same day and the magic of church totally helped her cope with that!

Then I got to the concealed carry post and remembered why this country is scary sometimes...girl, what the hell do you need a gun for?!

I'd never read this blog before. Her post on why church is important was so bless-her-heart bitchy as she explained why her friend was, like, so wrong to skip church. I mean gosh she herself felt ill that very same day and the magic of church totally helped her cope with that!

Then I got to the concealed carry post and remembered why this country is scary sometimes...girl, what the hell do you need a gun for?!

I hate saying this, but I think Olivia is a snotty little ... Well, you know. I have read most of the blog and she is just such a little dominionist snot. If I remember correctly, her family moved to Tennessee to be near the Botkins. You can spot her occasionally in other blogs at events, though they don't do the dress up games

i think it's just that nude is a popular shoe colour these days.

My girls wore nude shoes to my very non-fundie SIL's wedding when they were bridesmaids. It's a FAR better look than dyed-to-match. There's enough color in the dressed themselves.

My kids enjoy the horror story of the dyed to match fuschia shoes that I had to wear for my best friend's wedding.

I hate saying this, but I think Olivia is a snotty little ... Well, you know. I have read most of the blog and she is just such a little dominionist snot. If I remember correctly, her family moved to Tennessee to be near the Botkins. You can spot her occasionally in other blogs at events, though they don't do the dress up games

The more I read, I agree. She's 21 I think, but she has the snotty know-it-allness of a young teenager.

Interesting about the Botkin's - she does have some of their "look" about her. Wonder if she'll also end up eleventh years old and living with daddy?

I'm surprised she posted a Catholic wedding on her blog, actually. Has anyone ever checked out http://apostolicclothing.com/ ? They have lots of fashionable clothing that covers a bit more. There are some denim skirts I am thinking of ordering. I've always preferred to dress more modestly, not because of religious reasons, just because that is how I am comfortable. Love a skirt just at knee length or below and a top with a three quarter sleeve. Don't mind a deep V-neck though......

Sounds like a boss I used to have. Nobody was allowed to ring in sick without a lorry-load of guilt piled on them because she'd *apparently* come to work the day after having brain surgery.

My girls wore nude shoes to my very non-fundie SIL's wedding when they were bridesmaids. It's a FAR better look than dyed-to-match. There's enough color in the dressed themselves.

My kids enjoy the horror story of the dyed to match fuschia shoes that I had to wear for my best friend's wedding.

Navy blue here, for my sister's wedding. And we took pictures outside in wet grass. We all had smurf feet- in short dresses no less. I suggested silver, but NO, everyone NEEDED BLUE SHOES.

The focus on modest clothing drives me nuts, because it misses the point of modesty. Wearing long skirts or high necklines doesn't make a person modest. Modesty is a state of mind. It isn't modest to dress in long denim skirt and shapeless t shirt but yet spend hours upon hours doing your hair and makeup.

Modesty is more about humility, propriety and deference within ourselves. When apostle Paul talks about women dressing modestly, he meant not to be extravagant, flaunting wealth and he speaks about not not having elaborate hairstyles or elaborate decor with the clothing. Modesty is not to prevent others from responding with arousal or lustful thoughts, it is about being humble and unassuming.

I don't find the Duggar girls, the Bates or other Fundie Girlsto be modest by this definition. They have elaborate hair styles and make up, and their attitude is often one of superiority re: their modesty. They clearly hold the fact that they are more modest than the rest of us heathens in an arrogant way. And arrogance, is not modest.

It is just another example of messed up the Gothard Teachings are. They focus on a superficial part of biblical teaching, without really knowing the true meaning.

For better examples of modesty, look at how Apostolic Christian women dress. Or the Mennonite or Amish. They keep their hair long, but it is always tied back or up, not in elaborate buns, but in basic buns, knots or wrapped braids. Most of them do not wear makeup, and shy away from clothing that would call attention to them, such as bright colors, etc.

For a good article that explains this better see this. (Spaces added to break the link)

http:// qideas . org/articles/ modesty-i-dont-think-it-means- what-you-think-it-means/

Archived