IGNORED

Bill Cosby

tropaka

JMO I think if he's really a sexual predator who

4 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

This isn't "who he really is." This is PART of who he really is.  He has a bad side, but he also did good things.  It is hard to reconcile the opposites, but the bad doesn't erase the good. 

Most public figures have more than one side.  Many famous people have a major "tragic flaw."  Cosby-the-sexual-predator is one side of a bigger personality.  

Don't let it tarnish the series.  The series was fiction.  The Huxtables are a fictional family.  They remain what they always were.  Bill Cosby, an actor, played the part of Dr Huxtable.  He was not Dr Huxtable.

JMO I think the good things he did have a huge shadow cast over them by now.  If he  really is the cynical serial sexual predator that all these women are describing, then a lot of the good things he did are probably largely calculated  hypocrisy to create the sort of kindly, philanthropic reputation that A) helped him get many of those women to be in contact with him at all, B ) allowed him to get away with it for so long, because who would have believed it of Dr Cosby the famous philanthropist?  and C) if he has a conscience (uncertain) he might have been buying some guilt reduction.

And I think  many of his charitable adventures were probably organized by his wife and/or team to make us think he's a good person. None of his donations made a dent in his fortune so it's not like he was making any sacrifices.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, I don't get the feeling the black community is particularly happy with Cosby for being the ultimate preacher of respectability politics while perpetuating rape culture. I mean, I think he's trash too. I'd rather someone's pants sag than they be a serial rapist.

Yeah he should've pulled up his own damn pants first before criticizing the position of anyone else's pants.

I know the conservatives just loved Cosby because he said all the things to the black community they did without getting called on it like they did.

10 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Yeah he should've pulled up his own damn pants first before criticizing the position of anyone else's pants.

I know the conservatives just loved Cosby because he said all the things to the black community they did without getting called on it like they did.

Ironically, it was exactly this type of hypocrisy that got Cosby called out by Hannibal Buress and started this whole wave of women coming out to expose him for the serial rapist asshole that he is. Buress said, amongst other things, "He gets on TV, ‘Pull your pants up, black people … I can talk down to you because I had a successful sitcom.’ Yeah, but you rape women, Bill Cosby, so turn the crazy down a couple notches … I guess I want to just at least make it weird for you to watch Cosby Show reruns.”

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzB8dTVALQI

R. Kelly is a child predator and I can't  stand him. Hell, Adolph Hitler was an artist and liked animals.  Talent and other "good" qualities in no way compensate for sociopathic, psychopathic, deviant and predatory behavior. Listen to their music, watch their shows, and you are supporting them and their crimes.

Unfortunately I can't separate the show from the man. I really really want to. I wish if the reruns popped up I could forget this; I said upthread that it's one of my alltime favorites.

But he played a freaking ob/gyn. There were a number of episodes showing his kindliness and altruistic nature to females. And he had 4 daughters.  As I type it out it sounds even weirder. Like when you examine Woody Allen's films in light of his 'issues.' That happens a lot with artists.  There's frequently a dark side of some sort. Often with the really gifted it can be all-consuming and it just destroys ...inwardly-Robin Williams or Phillip Seymour-Hoffman...outwardly-cosby, Allen, Polanski....or the drunken hate speech of Mel Gibson.....or a total clusterfuck like Michael Jackson. So when we the public find out, what do we do with it? 

To a certain point I empathize, not with the behavior, but with the intense pressure of fame. Especially today. Having privacy is so desirable, and if you have that inclination to any sort of addictive or bad behavior....And then you have the power to keep it quiet. 

I wonder if any of it did have anything to with race on a conscious or subconsciuous level. He did achieve success well before The Cosby Show. Perhaps, when it started, there was an element of being resentful because he recognized all the differences in how he was treated and there was a power rush that came from being able to do what he wanted....and then he made such a point of changing everyone's perceptions. The man's no fool; it really seems like a bit of a 'fuck you.' Although, I do believe he wasn't insincere.  In the end though, it's too much. He comes off as a hypocrite instead of a conflicted two-sided artist.

And that sucks.

I just took my "Best of Bill Cosby" comedy CD out of my collection. Even "Noah" isn't funny anymore. I'm not sure what I want to do with it. Throw it away, I guess. At least no one will trust him anymore, hopefully. No more unsuspecting victims.

I watched Bill Cosby Himself on Youtube today (apparently pirated so I'm fairly certain he's not getting any ad revenue) and it was very hard to find it funny. There was a bit about how stupid people are when they're doing drugs. Beer makes them walk funny, weed makes them paranoid and they laugh about things nobody else understands, and so on. All I could think about was, what about Quaaludes? What are you doing giving people drugs you hypocrite? Then he talked about someone who takes cocaine and asked why, he replied, it's nice because it intensifies your personality. And Cosby replied, but what if you're an asshole?

Maybe that's why he does not take drugs himself (although he could be lying about that too I guess). He knows he's already an asshole while sober and has no need to intensify it.

Yeah, I have seven or maybe even eight seasons of The Cosby Show on DVD, I loved it so much. It was a popular show that we were actually allowed to watch, and it mostly passed my parents test for "good, clean humor". I am a bit conflicted about the DVDs now, but am not rushing into a decision.

I also had great memories of the show, but then you think about Bill Cosby even during the shows run. I remember reading an article about how the kid that played Cockroach was fired because Bill didn't approve of him growing his hair too long. Meanwhile... I think about what Bill was allegedly getting up to behind the scenes. It's really disturbing. :my_confused:

Oh and I thought he was a bit of an asshole about his family on Cosby Himself. His newborn was a great disappointment because it was a girl and had a floppy head and he thought poor baby looked like a lizard, and he talked about killing his son, his wife is so bossy and all his kids have brain damage and make their parents suffer so much.

OK so it was jokes but still sounded a bit mean. But based on the routine, apparently child beatings were a common occurrence in the Cosby household.

I was reading that Cosby is apparently going blind now due to keratoconus - a disease that changes the shape of the cornea.  That was why the lawyers were holding on to him the other day when he walked in to court and why he stumbled. 

http://www.who2.com/why-is-bill-cosby-hobbling-around/

23 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

He comes off as a hypocrite instead of a conflicted two-sided artist.

He is a criminal sexual deviant.

43 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

He is a criminal sexual deviant.

I appreciate your conviction on the matter. I wish I was capable of coming down to seeing it in such a b/w fashion. That's just not how I process the situation. 

The Cosby story totally reminds me of the Jimmy Saville case in the UK a few years ago.  He did a lot for charity and many people were shocked when historic abuse accusations were made (of course, in that case, it was after his death so there was no court case etc).

It's also a bit like Rolf Harris - I was more shocked about him as I'd never really liked Jimmy Saville.

It's hard to believe when somebody who has generally had a good reputation is accused of so many different offenses.  Yes, you wonder if some people are jumping on the bandwagon but it's hard not to think no smoke without fire.

I'm obviously not an expert in the US police but it definitely seems that a lot was done in the past here to protect big names from sexual offense claims.  The victims weren't taken seriously and evidence was 'lost'.  Also, because these cases happened all around the country, the different police forces didn't communicate and put the pieces together.

I'm glad that victim support seems to have improved so dramatically.  I think society as a whole seems more supportive,  I still can't imagine what these women are going through and really do hope that there are not many/any making false claims as, when they are found out, people start doubting the genuine victims which is the last thing they need.

He enjoyed sex with comatose victims who had not given consent. Criminal sexual deviant. When it comes to sex crimes, particularly rape, things need to be black and white or the rape ends up not being a crime at all. Yes, I have conviction about this. I have not processed anything, just going by the information presented. Unfortunately, rape/sexual abuse against women is all too common, I could add my own experiences to this sad litany. Power imbalances only make a rapist bolder. The federal agency I work for was the subject of congressional hearings this past summer because in one of the departments there was a long history of one of the scientists sexually harassing female interns. Management looked the other way and actively covered up for this predator. This abuse of power have to stop, as does obfuscation of criminal sexual activity. Call it what it is, in all it's ugliness.

On 1/2/2016 at 7:30 PM, SilverBeach said:

R. Kelly is a child predator and I can't  stand him. Hell, Adolph Hitler was an artist and liked animals.  Talent and other "good" qualities in no way compensate for sociopathic, psychopathic, deviant and predatory behavior. Listen to their music, watch their shows, and you are supporting them and their crimes.

I still listen to rkellys music. I still see episodes of the Cosby show. Doesn't mean I support rape. Rkelly releases good music. The Cosby show was a good show. Just because I myself support these things doesn't mean I'm condoning what they did But I do call out bs. 

And how the hell didn't his wife know?

10 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

I still listen to rkellys music. I still see episodes of the Cosby show. Doesn't mean I support rape. Rkelly releases good music. The Cosby show was a good show. Just because I myself support these things doesn't mean I'm condoning what they did But I do call out bs. 

I think Bill and Camille Cosby have some kind of "understanding," in which she looks the other way at his extramarital activities in exchange for her managing his career and brand. She clearly has invested herself in the Cosby brand, and isn't going to let it be tarnished without a fight.

I loved Fat Albert and Cosby Show growing up.   I also remember Bill in the Jello Pudding Pops commercials... it's a shame those are no longer available.

I'm just not sure what to think of the allegations.

I think at this point Occam's razor says the simplest explanation why there are 58 women saying that you're a serial rapist, is that you're a serial rapist.

13 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

Toothfairy, supporting these perverts financially is supporting rape and sexual abuse of women. No matter how much I liked a Hitler painting, no way I would buy one and hang it in my living room! Fruit of the poisonous tree. To each his own, but supporters like you allow these predators to keep doing what they do. Maybe if your 14 year old daughter or sister was an R. Kelly victim, you would feel differently. Same with Cosby.

2 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I loved Fat Albert and Cosby Show growing up.   I also remember Bill in the Jello Pudding Pops commercials... it's a shame those are no longer available.

I'm just not sure what to think of the allegations.

We all loved those programs, those of a certain age like myself. BC was a TV pioneer starring in I Spy back in the sixties. None of it means a darn thing now, and it's too bad. There are dozens of "allegations", where there is smoke there is fire. I cannot enjoy being entertained by criminally disreputable people.

Regarding Camille, she has never said she didn't know. I divorced my husband after he was unfaithful, but he wasn't a millionnaire. I gave him multiple chances, but enough was enough. A lot of women look the other way, but when there is drugging and rape involved? I don't see how she could do it.

Daily Mail is reporting that she is furious but apparently she doesn't think that rape is a crime that you deserve jail for so maybe it's more for embarrassing her. .

My husband doesn’t deserve jail, but he does deserve every bit of the hell he’s going through now even though he is still pretending that this hell doesn’t exist,’ Camille said, according to another person close to the Cosby family.

The 71-year-old was reportedly well aware of her husband’s infidelities but only demanded that he be discreet so as not to embarrass her.

I have a problem with the Hitler comparison. R. Kelly, yeah. Woody Allen, yeah. They became famous because of their talent and then it was discovered they were engaging in criminal behavior.

Hitler was a war criminal who had a few possibly positive qualities or creative inclinations.

And again @ silverbeach, I don't disagree with you. I just have a harder time divorcing my positive memories from the information being presented. I was watching those reruns on TV Land straight up through the moment this happened. It really isn't just in my childhood. I like rewatching/listening to tv shows. That's how I zone out. This was one of the ones I used. So I really do have to mentally readjust. I know that sounds odd because I know people don't use tv like I do. I will-I can't look at him the same. 

I loved Fat Albert and the Cosby Show when I was growing up.  I can't look at them the same way again.

8 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Toothfairy, supporting these perverts financially is supporting rape and sexual abuse of women. No matter how much I liked a Hitler painting, no way I would buy one and hang it in my living room! Fruit of the poisonous tree. To each his own, but supporters like you allow these predators to keep doing what they do. Maybe if your 14 year old daughter or sister was an R. Kelly victim, you would feel differently. Same with Cosby.

We all loved those programs, those of a certain age like myself. BC was a TV pioneer starring in I Spy back in the sixties. None of it means a darn thing now, and it's too bad. There are dozens of "allegations", where there is smoke there is fire. I cannot enjoy being entertained by criminally disreputable people.

Do you eat at subway? Jared  Foley raped girls and he's done it for years. People still eat at subway. Do you watch tlc or the duggars? Do you listen to MJ? Still buy his products? Just because a person still likes a product doesn't mean they support the person or what they did. If my 14yo daughter was raped by rkelly I would press charges not sue him for money like some parents might do. 

8 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

12 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I think Bill and Camille Cosby have some kind of "understanding," in which she looks the other way at his extramarital activities in exchange for her managing his career and brand. She clearly has invested herself in the Cosby brand, and isn't going to let it be tarnished without a fight.

I agree. She might know something but unfortunately money and fame talks. She's invested in his brand.

Did Subway know about Foley? (I don't actually know) If they didn't then they are just guilty of a big mistake. I believe they've disassociated themselves fully. He doesn't own the chain. Buying their sandwiches isn't supporting him.

Fascinated as I am by the Duggars and Bates, I am not watching anymore. TLC has made about five mistakes too many in who they choose to put on air.

I thought about that in regards to the show. Every other actor is a part of what made it great..but they all are in his orbit. I can sort of see where you're coming from with a singer...or with Woody Allen movies (which i admit to also having some difficulty with) when he chooses to remove himself from the screen one might be able to argue for the product standing separate. 

There was nothing criminal ever proven about Michael Jackson was there? Was there even enough evidence for anything or was it just an angry mother (again. don't remember)

I cannot watch Bill Cosby delivering babies and ignore the fact that he drugged and raped women.  I am interested @ Toothfairy at how you can do that.  Also, is this all hypothetical or have you actually seen The Cosby Show since it got yanked?

Not intending to pick at you but you are the only person really taking a "pro" stance of any sort in this thread.

Archived