IGNORED

What Would You Name Them?

FJismyheadship

Digging back into my family tree, we have the sisters Ora and Ida, and then there's Hezekiah and his brother House. No, not making this up. My great grandparents were Royal & Velva. There's also an Alfonzo, Sturgeon, and Minerva. (Royal's siblings.) Rural midwesterners were crazy around 1900's.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a good friend in high school named Treva. It's very unusual. IIRC, it's the feminine form of Trevor.

Very unusual indeed! It's a neat name. I don't know why, but it's kind of popular with Amish people. I also had a hard time convincing my husband that Lamar is a super common Amish name...he could only associate it with Lamar Odom! :lol:

Very unusual indeed! It's a neat name. I don't know why, but it's kind of popular with Amish people. I also had a hard time convincing my husband that Lamar is a super common Amish name...he could only associate it with Lamar Odom! :lol:

one of my fiance's brothers is also named lamar.

Biblical but recognizable names like Joseph, John, Jacob, Jeremiah, Abram, Saul, nothing too weird. For girls? Margaret, Hannah, Rachel, Rebecca.. but part of me would want to give them names like Jezebel and Salome.. my actual Roman Catholic SIL's true name is Mary Magdalene...

In school there were always a ton of other people with my name. In my 6th grade class (my classroom, not the entire 6th grade class for which there were 4 teachers) there were 6 Jessicas! So, yes, my kids have unique names and they're both the titles of books in the Bible--one OT, one NT. We're going with another OT prophet name for this next one if it's a boy, and Anna if it's a girl. I couldn't get my husband on board with Naomi.

I love these names: Noah, Zephaniah, Uriah, Hosea, the names of my two sons (not going to mention them for privacy but if you're reeeeeally curious PM me), Josiah, actually pretty much any OT book title! Isaac, Job, Isaiah (this has been fairly trendy over the last few years so I don't know that I'd use it unless I ran out of names), Boaz is starting to grow on me. Timothy and James are nice. My oldest was almost a Luke but I decided on a different name.

I do like some of the weirder girl names from the Bible, like Jochebed and Jehosheba. I have yet to come up with a suitable nickname for if I actually named a daughter Jochebed and she absolutely hated it. I would likely never actually name my kids that but for the sake of conversation, Jehosheba could go by Josie, and if I did use such names I'd stick with mild middle names like Eve or Hope. I also like the simpler names like Anna, Eve, Mary, and Rachel; and "virtue" names like Hope, Joy, Faith, etc.

But I also like Hippie names like Willow and Sequoia, so there ya go!

I love two biblical names : Syméon for a boy, and elisabeth for a girl (in fact, it's one of the few english name that I really love). And Mary Ann/Marianne, of course !

I also love some jewish name, especially when it begins with El (Elinoï, Eliora), or finish with -El (Mikhael, Gabriel...)

I wish I could tell y'all what I named my real fundie children. They're awesome names. :wink-kitty:

Well you can't now, but you could have before you posted this! If you had just listed the names and nothing else, I personally would have considered it idle speculation, and not anyones real names :-)

Well you can't now, but you could have before you posted this! If you had just listed the names and nothing else, I personally would have considered it idle speculation, and not anyones real names :-)

Nope. My children have unique names. Other fundies could totally identify me by their names. I like my anonymity.

I would go with Zsu's method (pre-Stephen) of giving each of her children a different initial. If you're going to have 12+ kids, it's a very logical solution to a major logistics problem.

However, the fact that I use that kind of logic is likely why I'm not fundie.

You may laugh, but that is not that unusual :D . Especially with the Marys. I also know 3 brothers all named "Franz", their calling name ist the second name. I think it´s the same with your cousins wife? Like Mary Elisabeth, Mary Anne, Mary Eleonore,....?

Actually, they all went by Mary.

My cousin and she met and married and didn't have a wedding so we just got the news, "Cousin Joe married a woman named Mary." Okay. We meet her later, "This is Mary." Okay. Hi. Whatever.

The next time I see them (it really was Joe and Mary) Joe is calling her Sue. And I said, "What gives? I thought her name was Mary." And he explains that when he went to meet her family she had between five and seven sisters (I can't remember now -- they're long since divorced) all named Mary and they all went by Mary.

So when he said, "Mary, where do y'all keep the glasses?" six women answered him. I think the mother's name was Mary too, but it's been too long ago for me to swear to it. So he starts calling her by her middle name, Sue. She always referred to herself as Mary and that's how she was introduced to us so we all called her Mary. Never met the other many Marys in her family.

My imaginary girls:

Emma Claire (or Clarice)

Miranda Kaye

Sarah (or Susan) Kathleen

Gemma Louise

Mica (or Sophie) Elisabeth

Meredith Rose

Madeline Grace

Lucinda (nn: Lucy) Jane

Frances (nn: Nancy) Jean or Lydia Jean

Elinor (nn: Nora) Alice

My imaginary boys:

Michael Eric

Keenan John

Sean Nathaniel

Ian Alexander

Nicholas Owen

Neil Donovan

(And yes, I know there are a lot of variations of John there. I think it's in the blood since my rl name is an unusual feminine variation of John and my dad, one uncle, and both grandfathers were all named John. Lol!)

Actually, they all went by Mary.

My cousin and she met and married and didn't have a wedding so we just got the news, "Cousin Joe married a woman named Mary." Okay. We meet her later, "This is Mary." Okay. Hi. Whatever.

The next time I see them (it really was Joe and Mary) Joe is calling her Sue. And I said, "What gives? I thought her name was Mary." And he explains that when he went to meet her family she had between five and seven sisters (I can't remember now -- they're long since divorced) all named Mary and they all went by Mary.

So when he said, "Mary, where do y'all keep the glasses?" six women answered him. I think the mother's name was Mary too, but it's been too long ago for me to swear to it. So he starts calling her by her middle name, Sue. She always referred to herself as Mary and that's how she was introduced to us so we all called her Mary. Never met the other many Marys in her family.

Well, that is odd indeed then! :lol:

I would go with Zsu's method (pre-Stephen) of giving each of her children a different initial. If you're going to have 12+ kids, it's a very logical solution to a major logistics problem.

However, the fact that I use that kind of logic is likely why I'm not fundie.

I really like that idea too. It would definitely make organizing easier. Each person could have their own monogrammed towel, cup (or tile to set the cup on during the day in between refills), etc.

I have fundie story characters-there are a few with normal just random names like every other person, but some have naming themes.

The first family has nine under eleven years old. Her boys have Biblical names followed by a character trait-Elijah Justice, Jeremiah Courage, Noah Obedience, Samuel Honor and Isaac Truth. The girls follow the same theme but it is the other way around-Faith Mary, Chastity Esther, Grace Sarah and Joy Praise.

The second family has 10 kids, in alphabetical order. Anna Forgiveness, Boaz Rejoice, Cain Victory, Deborah Jubilee, Ezekiel Diligence, Faith Mercy, Gabriel Brave, Honor Loyal, Isaiah Fortitude and Jonah Trust.

Did these fundies seriously name their son Cain? I'm not fundie, but even I would never give my child this name, due to the negative association most people have when they hear it. I feel very sorry for this kid, must be hard to grow up in fundieland with a name from a guy who is portrayed so negatively in the bible.

They are fictional. :) This thread is about what you would name a set of fundie kids if you were a fundie. They are fairly minor characters in a short story I wrote. I just chose random Biblical names (except for Faith and Honor, those were where I got stuck). No need to worry about his life in fundieland because he isn't real, although if he was, his life would suck for many other reasons than his name, as his mother is batshit insane in a way even Michael Pearl would find questionable.

I do know a kid named Cain though (but spelled differently), hes my friend's kid.

I think I would go with puritan names. THere is just something about the name "If-Christ-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-damned" or "Fight the good fight of faith". Could you imagine?

One thing I would NOT do, have all the names start with the same letter. It's bad enough that i have relatives who have done that (J names, no less, their oldest is in his 40's so...) and my nephews are all GU. Nope, not gonna do that. I'll stick with puritan names

ETA: Not that these are fundy names but, I come from a long line of Napolean Bonapartes, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Commodore Perry, Walter Scott, and Abraham Lincoln. I come from a long line of not really famous people! With crazy names.

What I would do is go with the tradition of being given a letter and then naming them with a Hindu name that's not hard to say in English. Something like Aanya, Rhea, Saraswati and call her Sara for a girl. Something short and not to hard to pronounce in English like Arun for a boy.

You didn't say what type of fundie. I went with Hindu since that's the name tradition I am going with should bf and I get married and have children. Though we think two children is probably a good number.

If I had stayed a fundie Christina I would have named them Biblical names with a mix of common and unusual. Like Matthew and Hannah and Job and Vashti.

I actually really like the name 'Mary' and and deviations of it.

MaryAnne, a must

MaryJane, my girlfriend really enjoys it, we're still debating.

Rosemary

I'm not a fundie but maybe when we adopt or have girls in close proximity I'll do this!

What do you think of combined names? I knew an AnaKaren in high school and I'd never heard it before but it fit her well and sounded nice. (I also think she was fundie-lite but not totally sure)

I'd do traditional names with virtue middle names, in alphabetical order. Abigail Grace, Beatrice Faith, Charlotte Joy, Daniel Justice, Edward Courage, etc.

Well, I would have 26 of them, because what is the point if you can't be an overachiever and have one for each letter of the alphabet?

Boys named after men of the Bible, girls named after virtues.

What do you think of combined names? I knew an AnaKaren in high school and I'd never heard it before but it fit her well and sounded nice. (I also think she was fundie-lite but not totally sure)

AnaKaren better not have the middle name 'Nina'. AnaKaren Nina ;)

I would use Geechee basket names with fundie meanings with the addition of African birth day names and English middle names.

Enimimeja Ruth: one who is clean morally and physically

Dade Levi: created by God, subordinate to Him

Archived