IGNORED

Is wearing pants more modest?

Lillybee

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Victim blaming aside, yes, it is my opinion that pants are more modest. Unfortunately this didn't convince the people at church school to let me wear dress pants to church.

I guess fox news has lost all brain cells that they have. Way to blame the victim instead of the person doing it

Yep, it's ALWAYS the woman's fault. Even if she wears a burka.

I thought dresses were modest? It is a dress that let's it happen so now it is imodest nickers that's the problem?I guess time for granny panties

A guest on Fox news claims that women are to blame for upskirt photos because they wore revealing clothes. I would think that one way to avoid those nasty photos is to wear pants.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/fox- ... n-clothes/

The Fox guest I could care less about. I'm a little irritated that the judge's reasoning was so similar to that of the Fox guest, though.

I thought dresses were modest? It is a dress that let's it happen so now it is imodest nickers that's the problem?I guess time for granny panties

my mind is taking a dark and frightening detour to weird-ville... this makes me wonder if fundies/Duggars wear modest underwear. do they need an extra layer of protection? or maybe, wearing thongs, bikinis, low rise or (gasp) silky panties could cause a woman to feel sexy and we all know that is unspeakable!

I've seen an episode of Antiques Roadshow (UK) where they had a pair of Queen Victoria's undergarments. They were crotchless. According to the historian on the show, women prior to to the Victorian era didn't wear underpants at all. What would all those Jane Austen loving fun dies think of that?

I've seen an episode of Antiques Roadshow (UK) where they had a pair of Queen Victoria's undergarments. They were crotchless. According to the historian on the show, women prior to to the Victorian era didn't wear underpants at all. What would all those Jane Austen loving fun dies think of that?

Since they're such staunch practitioners of revisionist history, they'd think nothing. The only version of events that happened is what they have made up in their minds.

That is the conclusion I came to after using the computer at my high school boyfriend's house -- attendees of the same fundie church/school I had attended, they were skirts-wearing 90% of the time. I went to search something in the Yahoo search bar on their browser, and in the search history was the phrase "upskirt pics". My boyfriend had his own laptop, so I'm guessing it was his dad (yuck).

I am so grossed out by the fascination with *mysterious lady parts*. I mean, my God, get a fucking grip! Same goes for freaks who put cameras in bathrooms or windows, which I've also personally experienced. You cannot spin that shit as being the victim's fault, I am sorry.

my mind is taking a dark and frightening detour to weird-ville... this makes me wonder if fundies/Duggars wear modest underwear. do they need an extra layer of protection? or maybe, wearing thongs, bikinis, low rise or (gasp) silky panties could cause a woman to feel sexy and we all know that is unspeakable!

I was in the lingerie department of a large department store one day and there was a woman in a frumper browsing as well. A saleswoman approached to tell us that a certain bin of red and pink items were marked down because it was nearly Valentine's Day. Frumper woman, who was probably early 20s at most, looked at her indignantly and said, "My husband and I are Christians and I do not buy or wear such things!". She left the department and the saleswoman looked confused.

Christian school wanted to ban skimpy underwear and underwire bras for girls once. There was no way to enforce such a ban, so it didn't happen.

I was in the lingerie department of a large department store one day and there was a woman in a frumper browsing as well. A saleswoman approached to tell us that a certain bin of red and pink items were marked down because it was nearly Valentine's Day. Frumper woman, who was probably early 20s at most, looked at her indignantly and said, "My husband and I are Christians and I do not buy or wear such things!". She left the department and the saleswoman looked confused.

Christian school wanted to ban skimpy underwear and underwire bras for girls once. There was no way to enforce such a ban, so it didn't happen.

I, for one, would be in full support of banning underwire bras.*

FREEDOM! :cracking-up:

*I mean, not really. But it sure would be nice to just wear a sports bra everywhere because rules instead of feeling obligated to dress up fancy with one of those real bras. ;)

18-hour bras, y'all. All of the support, you still have shape, none of the wires.

I, for one, would be in full support of banning underwire bras.*

FREEDOM! :cracking-up:

*I mean, not really. But it sure would be nice to just wear a sports bra everywhere because rules instead of feeling obligated to dress up fancy with one of those real bras. ;)

I don't like underwires either, but none of this is a fond memory. I was the 20-something not-raised-uber-evangelical woman on the dress code committee that year trying to explain that a close look would be the only way to determine if a girl was wearing an underwire bra or not. And such knowledge, of course, made my personal ethics of bra choice immediately suspect. The word "perky" even came up in that debate as it had to be pointed out to the 50-something principal that teens are still pretty "perky" in that department and lack of sagging cannot automatically be attributed to a certain type of bra. That followed the shorts length debate which had already called my personal modesty into question when my long baggy soccer shorts were determined to be too short for what most considered an appropriate length (It was a casual summer meeting in an unairconditioned building and those were the longest shorts I owned to wear no less) and I tried to explain the difficulty in getting super long shorts for girls who are thin and taller because too many clothes are proportioned so that thin = shorter.

Ahhhh....memories. :angry-banghead:

I don't like underwires either, but none of this is a fond memory. I was the 20-something not-raised-uber-evangelical woman on the dress code committee that year trying to explain that a close look would be the only way to determine if a girl was wearing an underwire bra or not. And such knowledge, of course, made my personal ethics of bra choice immediately suspect. The word "perky" even came up in that debate as it had to be pointed out to the 50-something principal that teens are still pretty "perky" in that department and lack of sagging cannot automatically be attributed to a certain type of bra. That followed the shorts length debate which had already called my personal modesty into question when my long baggy soccer shorts were determined to be too short for what most considered an appropriate length (It was a casual summer meeting in an unairconditioned building and those were the longest shorts I owned to wear no less) and I tried to explain the difficulty in getting super long shorts for girls who are thin and taller because too many clothes are proportioned so that thin = shorter.

Ahhhh....memories. :angry-banghead:

So, was the intention that the girls only wear sports bras? Or would supportive/shapely bras with no underwire be okay? That seems silly because it seems completely arbitrary.

What was the intention here? In many cases, an underwire bra is MORE modest because the padding keeps one from, er, nipping out, for lack of a better phrase. There are certain shirts I know I need to wear my underwire bra with because said shirts are not very discreet in that department.

So, was the intention that the girls only wear sports bras? Or would supportive/shapely bras with no underwire be okay? That seems silly because it seems completely arbitrary.

What was the intention here? In many cases, an underwire bra is MORE modest because the padding keeps one from, er, nipping out, for lack of a better phrase. There are certain shirts I know I need to wear my underwire bra with because said shirts are not very discreet in that department.

They thought that by wearing certain types of underwear and bras that the girls were trying to be sexually attractive. Sports bras were actually another issue because on super hot practice days, some of the volleyball players had been spotted practicing in tank tops and their sports bras were visible and if a boy wandered by the gym and saw that, he'd be ruined for life by the inevitable lust. They ended up making an additional dress code for girls in sports practice. Of course, no such dress code for boys in practice. Some of the girls complained that boys were allowed to go shirtless in track practice (a basically co-ed sport), but that was not banned.

They thought that by wearing certain types of underwear and bras that the girls were trying to be sexually attractive. Sports bras were actually another issue because on super hot practice days, some of the volleyball players had been spotted practicing in tank tops and their sports bras were visible and if a boy wandered by the gym and saw that, he'd be ruined for life by the inevitable lust. They ended up making an additional dress code for girls in sports practice. Of course, no such dress code for boys in practice. Some of the girls complained that boys were allowed to go shirtless in track practice (a basically co-ed sport), but that was not banned.

So, like, what type of bra did they want the girls to wear? I only wear either sports bras or underwire bras. Is there a third kind of bra I'm in the dark about?

Okay, I am skeeved as all get out at the thought of school faculty examining girls' breasts to try to determine what type of bra they are wearing. Wtf?

I stopped wearing underwire bras when my daughter was born because I'd read they can increase the chance of getting clogged milk ducts, and after nearly 2 years I couldn't stand to go back to them. But I also learned that there are good wireless bras that achieve the same effect, at least for me. I can't see there being a way to determine whether a bra has wire or not without seeing/touching it. Again, skeevy!

Funny that this is coming from Fox News, the network that doesn't allow their female anchors to wear pants, and puts them at the end of tables to show off their legs.

I'm surprised that school even let girls participate in sports.

:roll:

It was basically fundie-lite. The girls' teams were so bad, though, that it was painful to watch them play. There was so much tension about how to remain appropriately feminine yet play sports that it was not uncommon to see them passing lip gloss up and down the bench during basketball or volleyball games. There were girls that would let a volleyball drop if they thought the angle they could hit it at might break a nail. The Catholic school I taught at when I left there had one of the best volleyball programs in the state for a small school. The Christian school came to play there the first fall I worked there and I went to the game, their varsity team scored two points in three sets. It was a massacre and I'm not sure the Catholic school team was even trying that hard. After about ten points, the rest of the match was played by JV girls.

As for bras, sports bras were not a problem for them, but heaven forbid we catch the slightest glimpse of one. They did not set any rules for what kind of bras girls could wear as the few of us sane people on that committee were vehemently opposed on the grounds that no one in a school should be checking what kind of bra a teenage girl is wearing.

That's completely mental. Did it ever once occur to the members of the faculty that it is completely inappropriate and to be that interested in undergarments to the point of examining the breasts of young girls? Who died and put these idiots in charge of how a girl's breasts should look?

Always cute when perverts decide to be the morality police, all under the guise of religion. :roll:

18-hour bras, y'all. All of the support, you still have shape, none of the wires.

And they come in sexy styles, too.

Archived