IGNORED

Is wearing pants more modest?

Lillybee

School faculty and administration should not be discussing girls' underwear. That's just all kinds of wrong.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
School faculty and administration should not be discussing girls' underwear. That's just all kinds of wrong.

Anything girls did or might do that might make them too attractive (or just might be focused on what they thought was attractive whether it mattered to teenage boys or not) was open for endless discussion. Random Bible verses were frequently invoked to defend whatever ban someone wanted to create as "biblical". The epic 3 hour "appropriate nail polish colors" debate was my personal favorite (I have blocked out which Bible verses allegedly applied to the need to ban blue nail polish). There was also a pretty long debate over highlighted hair once.The underwear-bra debate shut down much earlier than those did because a male teacher pointed out that any attempt at monitoring girls' underclothes would land him and the other male teachers quite promptly in the nearest jail, and the female teachers might land there, too.

Anything girls did or might do that might make them too attractive (or just might be focused on what they thought was attractive whether it mattered to teenage boys or not) was open for endless discussion. Random Bible verses were frequently invoked to defend whatever ban someone wanted to create as "biblical". The epic 3 hour "appropriate nail polish colors" debate was my personal favorite (I have blocked out which Bible verses allegedly applied to the need to ban blue nail polish). There was also a pretty long debate over highlighted hair once.The underwear-bra debate shut down much earlier than those did because a male teacher pointed out that any attempt at monitoring girls' underclothes would land him and the other male teachers quite promptly in the nearest jail, and the female teachers might land there, too.

I went to a Christian school in a conservative area, and we had some of these stupid rules too. Not as bad, but it's like they would decide something on the fly and then need to defend it by whatever means possible. When flip-flops started coming back into style in the late 90s/early 2000s, the administration realized an old rule from the 70s had forbidden them. Instead of saying, "Well, that rule was outdated. Our school dress code has become much more informal since then-- we should get ride of the rule," they had endless justifications. Not formal enough. Fire hazard. BECAUSE WE SAID SO.

Same thing with studded belts. First, they were gang paraphernalia. Then, they were too heavy so they'd pull your pants down. Or something. So dumb.

I always thought that something's that fundies did were immodest. A lot of the things they wear scream "look at me" because it's inappropriate for the situation. Not to mention if someone is going to lust they're going to do it regardless of outfit. I've been hit on by men when I was wearing baggy sweats.

I went to a Christian school in a conservative area, and we had some of these stupid rules too. Not as bad, but it's like they would decide something on the fly and then need to defend it by whatever means possible. When flip-flops started coming back into style in the late 90s/early 2000s, the administration realized an old rule from the 70s had forbidden them. Instead of saying, "Well, that rule was outdated. Our school dress code has become much more informal since then-- we should get ride of the rule," they had endless justifications. Not formal enough. Fire hazard. BECAUSE WE SAID SO.

Same thing with studded belts. First, they were gang paraphernalia. Then, they were too heavy so they'd pull your pants down. Or something. So dumb.

It is just an extension of the legalism they apply to everything else. What the kids looked like or wore from the tops of their heads to the tips of their toes had to be micromanaged. Everything had to be micromanaged. The staff handbooks were 5 inch binders so overstuffed you could barely turn the pages without opening up the rings and taking it apart. It included rules about where to keep your plan book, what color of ink to use for different tasks, and how to open and close the window shades in your classroom. And that is only the beginning of the insanity.

I've seen an episode of Antiques Roadshow (UK) where they had a pair of Queen Victoria's undergarments. They were crotchless. According to the historian on the show, women prior to to the Victorian era didn't wear underpants at all. What would all those Jane Austen loving fun dies think of that?

When you were wearing so many layers, would you really want to deal with all of that and try to get underwear down at the same time? I used to go to ren faires in full regalia and after my first one, fuck no forever after to the underwear. It was so hard trying to hold up all my skirts while getting panties down in a portojohn. I skipped them the next time, and it was so much easier.

That's immodest today, but wasn't then. Goes to show how modesty standards change so much.

I, for one, would be in full support of banning underwire bras.*

FREEDOM! :cracking-up:

*I mean, not really. But it sure would be nice to just wear a sports bra everywhere because rules instead of feeling obligated to dress up fancy with one of those real bras. ;)

I think I might be the only woman in the world who prefers bras to going braless. Even underwires. Except showering, I wear them 24/7. No underwires isn't comfortable.

The underwear-bra debate shut down much earlier than those did because a male teacher pointed out that any attempt at monitoring girls' underclothes would land him and the other male teachers quite promptly in the nearest jail, and the female teachers might land there, too.

Thank goodness he had the good sense to point that out.

And they come in sexy styles, too.

And what I refer to as "Brunhidle's Body Armor". The only downside is that the straps are wider, so I couldn't wear spaghetti-strap shirts/dresses. (I don't tend to, just because I prefer wider straps/just "sleeveless" shirts over tank tops.)

I have to know the appropriate way to do this.

You have to start with the windows on the end of the room farthest from the door and proceed to the end closest to the room. You are not to let go so that shades drop quickly or pull the cord too quickly in either direction. And, no matter what, all the shades must at all times be hanging evenly or people driving by will notice them and think that the school does not care about its students or pay attention to detail, and due to those negative thoughts, they will never find Jesus.

I sincerely wish I had made that up.

Yep, it's ALWAYS the woman's fault. Even if she wears a burka.

LOVE THIS! Did you see the movie "Obama?" Guy with a woman totally encased in a real Afghan burka on his motorcycle stopped because as they rode the wind made her ankle visible. Tempting to men and all.

Also women who followed the rules in that country and wore the fucking thing could get stopped and arrested because, for example, they made too much noise when they walked, calling male attention to themselves.

Maybe the men in charge should figure out that regardless of what a woman is wearing--whether it's an Afgani-style burka or a miniskirt--nothing about a woman's clothing is an invitation to sexual brutality.

Turn it around--male in a wife-beater shirt gets raped by a guy who says, well, he was showing off his pecs. What did he expect?

Thank goodness he had the good sense to point that out.

Hopefully this was a follow-up statement to "this is totally inappropriate and I would never look that closely at a student's chest," or I'm not giving this guy any credit.

Hopefully this was a follow-up statement to "this is totally inappropriate and I would never look that closely at a student's chest," or I'm not giving this guy any credit.

He still gets a point for acknowledging that there are rules and laws outside of religion. Plenty of fundies here expect secular laws to not apply to them.

You have to start with the windows on the end of the room farthest from the door and proceed to the end closest to the room. You are not to let go so that shades drop quickly or pull the cord too quickly in either direction. And, no matter what, all the shades must at all times be hanging evenly or people driving by will notice them and think that the school does not care about its students or pay attention to detail, and due to those negative thoughts, they will never find Jesus.

I sincerely wish I had made that up.

LOL, oh good lord! Sometimes you have some blinds further down to keep the sun out of students' faces. Who was stupid enough to think this means not caring about students?

If I saw a school where each class's blinds were always exactly even, I'd think they were micromanaging. Not a good thing.

He still gets a point for acknowledging that there are rules and laws outside of religion. Plenty of fundies here expect secular laws to not apply to them.

We'll have to agree to disgrace there. I don't give points for basic human decency that everyone should exhibit, or fear of landing in jail.

I think I might be the only woman in the world who prefers bras to going braless. Even underwires. Except showering, I wear them 24/7. No underwires isn't comfortable.

Me too! i thought i was the only one. Except i use the non-wire ones that still have the support "like wires". i heard somewhere wearing them all the time helps stave off the droopies since boobs are supposedly like elastic that could get stretched out. No idea how scientific that is but it seems to be working. Only comes off for showers and Mr. Coco's playtime. :lol: i'm weird though, i'd wear spanx too if i was forced to wear a skirt for work. Can.not.stand. the feeling of no pants in a work setting.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if someone designed Halloween-mask printed undies for skirt wearers? :twisted:

I just wish we weren't looked down on society for not wearing a female torture dev... Er, bra. Not all of is find them comfortable or even remotely necessary. Except for running and jogging, perhaps. I know others like them, but I don't see what that has to do with their concern that I don't swear one.

1--The school was fundie-lite, thus not as far to the crazy right as most of the people we discuss here (I know some of the stories make it seem so, but women/girls could wear pants, kids could wear jeans except on chapel day, there were girls' sports teams and they did not compete in skirts, most staff and families watched television and movies and appropriate movies related to curriculum could be shown in classes, etc...). There was no denial of secular law there.

2. The male teacher on that committee was not one to speak up often, so although this was somewhere between 1996 and 1999 and my memory is not complete, I'm willing to bet he didn't say a whole lot up to the point when he kind of lost it and shut the debate down with that point (and I do remember that he kind of lost it).

3. That teacher attended a United Methodist church. He spoke evangelical because his first wife had been one, and I assume that is how he got the job.

I don't want to sound like I am defending the school, but I feel like defending that particular co-worker as he is a good man and is not now, nor ever was a fundie asshole. He and his wife were very good to me, including, among other things, basically providing me with a free lunch every day because I was not making enough money to cover my basic needs. He is one of four people I worked with at that school who have remained friends since I left. Interestingly, only two of those four (a married couple) still attend church at all after their experiences there. And I became Catholic. So they don't have a strong track record with even keeping the former staff in the fold, let alone the alumni.

My sports bra has an underwire, and you will take it from me over my dead body. Seriously never thought I'd see someone on FL advocate banning something just because it wasn't her taste.

Furthermore, if your bra is so terribly uncomfortable, you are probably in the wrong size. Most American women are.

I just think it's sad that the women cannot even 'choose' their own underwear. i mean if they are supposed to be 'freaks in the bed' so to speak then only hubby would see the undies...why not make it fun?

but, then i just don't understand the whole thing...honestly, the way the duggar girls dress is light years sexier than me who wears a 'uniform' of sweat pants and a hoodie on everyday possible! and some of the outfits they wear are so clingy that you can almost see nipple and definitely the shape of her behind. weird, weird, weird.

If it hasn't been said yet, let the Duggar Women and all Fundie Females wear Mormon Underwear if they are afraid of going marilyn monroe in a skirt or dress.

My sports bra has an underwire, and you will take it from me over my dead body. Seriously never thought I'd see someone on FL advocate banning something just because it wasn't her taste.

Furthermore, if your bra is so terribly uncomfortable, you are probably in the wrong size. Most American women are.

Woah woah woah... if this is aimed at me, I think there was a misunderstanding!

My comment about supporting the banning of underwire bras was totally tongue-in-cheek. I tried to make that clear by adding an asterisk explaining that it was tongue-in-cheek, as well as a winky face to drive the point home. It was a total joke, and one I would have made were someone to mention banning jeans which, much like bras, tend to be very uncomfortable for me.

I'm weirdly sensitive to clothing. I hate jeans, I hate shoes, I hate bras, I hate tags in my everything. So while I might very well be wearing the wrong bra size, it's more likely a combination of my strange sensitivity and the fact that I'm unwilling to shell out a ton of money for a really good quality bra. I just go for the mid-range ones.

I, for one, would be in full support of banning underwire bras.*

FREEDOM! :cracking-up:

*I mean, not really. But it sure would be nice to just wear a sports bra everywhere because rules instead of feeling obligated to dress up fancy with one of those real bras. ;)

Oh I totally missed that! I'm sorry! I'd blame tapatalk but I'm sure I just didn't read carefully.

Oh I totally missed that! I'm sorry! I'd blame tapatalk but I'm sure I just didn't read carefully.

No problem! :)

Archived