IGNORED

Little Homemaker Paper Dolls

GenerationCedarchip

I saw this at Raising Homemakers and honestly thought it was a joke. But, apparently not - they really do have homemaker paper dolls trying to inspire girls. And you can even win a set!

raisinghomemakers.com/2014/little-homemakers-paper-doll-giveaway/

If any of these young girls had broods of children, they sure as shit wouldn't have those perfect curvy figures.

It's missing the cut-out paper RV and the eleventy children. And wouldn't she have dark circles under her eyes from taking care of an infant at night?

So these paper dolls are meant to 'inspire'? I don't think that word means what they think it means. Inspiration is closely linked with creativity and the act of making something new and unique based on elements of other things. There's nothing creative about taking the path in life that other people force you to. The life that's planned for these girls is one of oppressive marriage, staying at home, and forgoing birth control to have 20 kids. There's nothing trailblazing about that. :ew:

Is the art actually straight from 1956? I can remember see drawings like that in the yellow pages and in Green Stamps books when I was a toddler in the 60s; not since then.

Is the art actually straight from 1956? I can remember see drawings like that in the yellow pages and in Green Stamps books when I was a toddler in the 60s; not since then.

If you read through the article, it seems that's exactly the look they were going for:

"So Ryan, one of our lead designers, set to work. He was drawn to the idea of the mid-century modern housewife; the one who took great delight in having a comfortable home and greeting her husband with a flourish and a kiss when he returned from a hard day’s work. He researched trends and styles of the era, even played The Girl From Ipanema a thousand or so times (we all wore ear muffs at a certain point), and came up with a sweet and demur [sic :lol: ] model and a number of modest, mommy-style outfits."

He screwed up, though--that doll needs to be holding a vintage Pyrex bowl, maybe the big yellow one from the original 1950s primary color set. :dance:

What were they thinking?? There are some serious EYETRAPS in those outfits. Loud patterns, above-the-knee skirts, plunging necklines showing alluring decolletage, form-fitting dresses...oh, the travesty! This is not how a modest, godly housewife should dress!

I think Designer Ryan needs to get his mind out of the gutter, pronto! More hijab and burqas, less Ipanema floozy :lol:

Okay, I was LOL'ing at the June Cleaver-ness of these dolls, but then I read her "about me" blurb, and suddenly it wasn't very funny anymore.

She writes, "Sherry K. Hayes loves the Lord Jesus Christ, her husband, and all of their 15 children, 11 of whom are homemakers and future homemakers!"

So it's pre-determined that all of her daughters WILL be homemamkers, no ifs, ands, or buts. Your children are not your property, lady, and they have their own free wills.

"She has been homeschooling for more than 25 years, has seen the “graduation†of eight of her children..." If she has to put "graduation" in quotation marks, I have to wonder exactly what she's been doing with her kids for the last 25 years :evil-eye:

I love paper dolls. (My most recent acquisition -- you can color the outfits yourself!!! mohistory.org/files/imagecache/display/files/images/Paper%20Dolls%20cover.jpg).

Is it weird that I really, really want to know what the doll looks like without her paper clothes? Did they put her in modest undies?

He was drawn to the idea of the mid-century modern housewife; the one who took great delight in having a comfortable home and greeting her husband with a flourish and a kiss when he returned from a hard day’s work.

A flourish? Holy anachronisms, Batman. "Flourish" was 18th century slang for a shag, but by 1950 I don't think that's what the kids were calling it anymore. :P

"Girl From Ipanema" isn't about what they think it is. It's based on a real girl who was a beauty and turned heads. The real girl wasn't ashamed of being beautiful, and played it up for the cat-calls. She bought cigarettes and went around town on her own, sometimes heading to the beach, sometimes now. In short, she's everything fundies don't want their daughters to be.

I'm always sad when I see what fundies are doing to try making sure their daughters feel pressured into becoming what their parents want them to be.

A flourish? Holy anachronisms, Batman. "Flourish" was 18th century slang for a shag, but by 1950 I don't think that's what the kids were calling it anymore. :P

:laughing-rolling: :cracking-up:

I'm always sad when I see what fundies are doing to try making sure their daughters feel pressured into becoming what their parents want them to be.

But it happens outside fundieworld too, more often than one would think. People are just so used to wanting everyone to fit into the given cookie-cutter conformity and do what she or he is expected to do. But I guess it's perfectly fine to have expectations towards individual human beings, as long as it happens without mentioning the Bible.

What were they thinking?? There are some serious EYETRAPS in those outfits. Loud patterns, above-the-knee skirts, plunging necklines showing alluring decolletage, form-fitting dresses...oh, the travesty! This is not how a modest, godly housewife should dress!

I think Designer Ryan needs to get his mind out of the gutter, pronto! More hijab and burqas, less Ipanema floozy :lol:

I thought some of the doll outfits were pretty, too, but the idea behind it bothered me somehow. I figure God gives people gifts for a reason and not every woman out there has the same gift for homemaking. I think being a homemaker is a valid and good choice in life, but there are other options.

And yes, while pretty, some of those outfits would sooo not pass muster at the church where I grew up. Then again, I got the side eye for wearing this snazzy number last time I was home visiting my parents: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... =945013062

It covers my knees and I wrapped it to have a high neckline, but apparently wrap dresses "give people ideas." Or so I'm told.

I love paper dolls. (My most recent acquisition -- you can color the outfits yourself!!! mohistory.org/files/imagecache/display/files/images/Paper%20Dolls%20cover.jpg).

Is it weird that I really, really want to know what the doll looks like without her paper clothes? Did they put her in modest undies?

probably:

post-10046-14451999437209_thumb.jpg

and something from this pinterest board. :lol:

pinterest.com/pinkpad/retro-feminine-hygiene/

I thought some of the doll outfits were pretty, too, but the idea behind it bothered me somehow. I figure God gives people gifts for a reason and not every woman out there has the same gift for homemaking. I think being a homemaker is a valid and good choice in life, but there are other options.

And yes, while pretty, some of those outfits would sooo not pass muster at the church where I grew up. Then again, I got the side eye for wearing this snazzy number last time I was home visiting my parents: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... =945013062

It covers my knees and I wrapped it to have a high neckline, but apparently wrap dresses "give people ideas." Or so I'm told.

Well, I like your dress; I think it's lovely and not inappropriate in the least, but I am a godless heathen these days :D The only ideas it gave me were, "hmm, what heels would I wear with that?"

I also agree that being a homemaker is a perfectly valid choice to make...I thought it was odd for them to focus in on the 1950s idea of "homemaker greeting her husband at the door with a kiss and spotless apron and pearls with scrubbed-clean kids" when that was mostly a TV fantasy. Honestly, it made me think of the movie Pleasantville, and how fundies could find so much more in life if they just stepped out of their little bubbles.

But it happens outside fundieworld too, more often than one would think. People are just so used to wanting everyone to fit into the given cookie-cutter conformity and do what she or he is expected to do. But I guess it's perfectly fine to have expectations towards individual human beings, as long as it happens without mentioning the Bible.

I know. In Facebook today a friend of mine wrote a post saying she thinks it's great that some people are planning to have big families by their kids having a bunch of kids, but why do those people always expect their kids will marry the opposite sex? How bad to plan their kids' future partners. I pointed out to her than planning your own family to be large by your kids having a bunch of kids is planning your kids' future families and forcing them into what you're wanting them to be, with is future parents of many. She doesn't even get it.

probably:

[attachment=0]One record with six briefs 1950s ad via MidCentury.jpg[/attachment]

and something from this pinterest board. :lol:

pinterest.com/pinkpad/retro-feminine-hygiene/

I've had nylon panties. Holy yeast infections, Batman!

I've had nylon panties. Holy yeast infections, Batman!

And they're just so HIGH WAISTED :lol: That's like, under boob practically.

My grandma made a rag rug once, the twist and tie kind, and told everyone when we were sitting around visiting that she made it out of old bleached cotton undies. And her husband's son (she remarried after my grandpa passed away) asked if she made it out of one pair. :lol: I love my grandma dearly, but she makes it too easy sometimes. It was difficult not to laugh out loud. She looked like she wanted to smack the guy. :D

If you read through the article, it seems that's exactly the look they were going for:

"So Ryan, one of our lead designers, set to work. He was drawn to the idea of the mid-century modern housewife; the one who took great delight in having a comfortable home and greeting her husband with a flourish and a kiss when he returned from a hard day’s work. He researched trends and styles of the era, even played The Girl From Ipanema a thousand or so times (we all wore ear muffs at a certain point), and came up with a sweet and demur [sic :lol: ] model and a number of modest, mommy-style outfits."

He screwed up, though--that doll needs to be holding a vintage Pyrex bowl, maybe the big yellow one from the original 1950s primary color set. :dance:

Don't mock the Primary Color Pyrex mixing bowl set they are the greatest set of mixing bowls every made. Design was way ahead of their time-bottom was designed not to tip and stay in place when using a hand mixer. I love mine and you would have to pry them from my cold dead hands to get them.

Archived