IGNORED

Hogwarts School of Prayer and Miracles

tralala

this is the list of authors that don't want to be used in FF. this comes from the guidelines on Fanfiction.net.

Anne Rice

Archie comics

Dennis L. McKiernan

Irene Radford

J.R. Ward

Laurell K. Hamilton

Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb

P.N. Elrod

Raymond Feist

Robin Hobb

Robin McKinley

Terry Goodkind

And as for it being Lazy. I don't agree with that but even if some people feel that way who cares people do it for fun, Many people do it as a stress reliever. yes some it can be horrible case in point the story we are discussing but some can be even better then the original story. it's a way to be apart of a community and to keep characters alive long after the show/book is done.

Thanks for the list. I'm happy I don't have to give up any of my favorite authors ;)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fastest selling books in world history started as fan fiction. Fifty Shades of Grey was Twilight FF, and even used the names Edward and Bella. I am so sick that this shit is what sells so well.

I will finally cop to my dirty little secret, I guess. I liked Twilight the book (the first one is the only one I've read and I've seen the first movie, but didn't care for it for a number of reasons). I made it about 10 pages into 50 shades of grey. That might be giving it too much credit.

I don't think you could have read that book and under any stretch of the imagination tied it back to Twilight, if you weren't told it was Twilight fan fic. I don't recall off the top of my head, but I don't think the characters have the exact same full names as the ones in Twilight.

I'm pretty sure there are copyright issues over fanfic quite often, but I doubt that most authors really bother unless there is commerical issues involved (ie: someone trying to actually publish their work). Unlike trademarks which MUST be defended, you can be pretty willy nilly about copyright enforcement, particularly if your copyright is well established, which it obviously would be on something like a book ;)

Diana Gabaldon (Outlander books) is also against fanfiction, and famously compared people writing it to people selling her children into sexual slavery.

Chapter 10 is up and well....ummm can you have a character with no actual physical description??? Cuz if i had never seen Harry Potter i would just assume that Dean Thomas is also white and not black like he is in the original books. I can't even like i don't understand these crazy accusations that she is putting out cuz i don't see how Christians are under attack :pink-shock:

OMG she mentioned the Pearls, lol :D

I love terrible fanfiction, I have been waiting for a new chapter. Its terrible, but its terribleness is entertaining.

I've been reading the story. Now going to check out the new additions. And I'm actually surprised she isn't a poe. I know women like her and I'm actually shocked that she put it up on fanfiction.net. Lord knows what kinds of things go on there. I think that is how I er, expanded my horizons. :whistle:

I will finally cop to my dirty little secret, I guess. I liked Twilight the book (the first one is the only one I've read and I've seen the first movie, but didn't care for it for a number of reasons). I made it about 10 pages into 50 shades of grey. That might be giving it too much credit.

I don't think you could have read that book and under any stretch of the imagination tied it back to Twilight, if you weren't told it was Twilight fan fic.

The first Twilight book was tolreable. The last one was so boring I had a hard time getting through it, and I couldn't get through the Bree Tanner book. My guilty pleasure is watching the movies to laugh. They're so funny when they're not supposed to be.

Even before it was known that Fifty Shades was fan fiction, a lot of people said it played out a lot like a BSDM version of Twilight. Same areas, same physical descriptions, same hobbies and for Ana/Bella, very similar job owned by the parents of someone who has the hots for her, the parents' names are close to the same (Carlisle/Carrick, Ray/Charles...seriously, Emmett/Elliott), all the adoption stuff, twee little sister with short dark hair, and a lot of other things. When Fifty Shades first came out, someone wrote a long review on Goodreads about how similar the books are to Twilight, and she had a long, long, long list of comparisons. Later the author admitted on her website that it was fan fiction.

I've been reading the story. Now going to check out the new additions. And I'm actually surprised she isn't a poe. I know women like her and I'm actually shocked that she put it up on fanfiction.net. Lord knows what kinds of things go on there. I think that is how I er, expanded my horizons. :whistle:

I now think she is one. In under a week, she went from saying she's going to start writing classes, to being in writing classes where the entire class is getting to critique her work. I've never heard of drop-in writing classes, and if you join a real writing class, there aren't classes every day. How did she do it so fast? Unless she's lying.

I now think she is one. In under a week, she went from saying she's going to start writing classes, to being in writing classes where the entire class is getting to critique her work. I've never heard of drop-in writing classes, and if you join a real writing class, there aren't classes every day. How did she do it so fast? Unless she's lying.

While I too think she's a liar or doing some sort of performance art or just writing 'in character,' she COULD be on a trimester system (this is popular on the Western Coast of US) as I know they just started classes this week.

Here is a post on wayback machine from Diana Glbaldon on FanFiction. https://web.archive.org/web/20100507173 ... drums.html?

Part of me agrees with her, part of me doesn't. I think she's being totally bitchy about it. I also think that with technology being the way it is, using it as a writing exercise and wanting feedback isn't horrible. But it really does bother me when people write fan fiction, claim to be a fan, and completely characterize the characters. Harry and Snape would not happen. There was no gay sex in Harry Potter. If someone wanted to write a Dumbledore sex scene, fine. But to have teachers raping students is just gross. To have Draco hook up with Harry is weird and creepy and for most of the series we were talking about underage kids. I guess I'm just getting old, but seriously. If you want to write "slash" fiction, why not just make up some names and write it already?

And as for the Hogwarts school of Prayers, OMG. WTF is she doing with Dean Thomas? "He said fluently," "He said eloquently," "he said intelligently" First thought is that this is some racism on how black people talk. "he said articulately" and there is all of this stuff on how he is dressed "respectably" and "clean cut." It's weird.

OMG she mentioned the Pearls, lol :D

Well, that made me finally look at it.

I take it you meant the author's note, in which she says:

A few good-intentioned (but misguided!) readers have expressed “concern†about my asking my husband’s permission to take a class. Friends: it is not long ago that I would have thought the same thing. Culture told me that wifely submission was demeaning; and I believed it! All I will say is this: read Created To Be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl. Life- (and marriage ;)) changer!

:roll:

Please tell me that's all, and that characters aren't being whipped with plumbing line and glue sticks in her non-fanfic.

I've thought she's a Poe for a while now. The anti-birthday thing clued me in. The vast majority of fundies are fine with birthdays, and the vast majority of those who aren't are Jehovah's Witnesses, which she doesn't appear to be.

Her name is supposedly Grace Ann Parsons, and I wasn't able to find any fundie bloggers by that name. My Google-fu is lacking, though. Someone else may find something I missed.

I've thought she's a Poe for a while now. The anti-birthday thing clued me in. The vast majority of fundies are fine with birthdays, and the vast majority of those who aren't are Jehovah's Witnesses, which she doesn't appear to be.

Her name is supposedly Grace Ann Parsons, and I wasn't able to find any fundie bloggers by that name. My Google-fu is lacking, though. Someone else may find something I missed.

Several posts I've found (and linked here) mention that Grace Ann Parsons doesn't exactly have a web presence and that her name is rather suspicious. Grace and Parsons? Really? Both of these posts think the fanfic is satire or poe.

http://lauraturner.religionnews.com/201 ... agination/

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/slices/ ... ainly-hoax

Here's a post by the author of the fanfic. "She" has no replies. Her post does call Ron depraved though. I thought Ron was just a fairly normal kid.

http://www.potterforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=55570

edited to add link

While I too think she's a liar or doing some sort of performance art or just writing 'in character,' she COULD be on a trimester system (this is popular on the Western Coast of US) as I know they just started classes this week.

It takes a couple days to get enrolled, and then you have to hope classes are available. Many college classes are full and on waiting lists by the time classes start. Even for people who are already enrolled and registered, in the very first week, they aren't going to have the class read and critique the work of one special snowflake student.

Aw, this kind of makes me sad. This fic is a POS of the worst kind. My fic doesn't even have half the reviews on it, and it's been up a lot longer. True, they're mostly terrible reviews, but still...

I couldn't manage to keep going, I almost threw up in my mouth.

Here is a post on wayback machine from Diana Glbaldon on FanFiction. https://web.archive.org/web/20100507173 ... drums.html?

Part of me agrees with her, part of me doesn't. I think she's being totally bitchy about it. I also think that with technology being the way it is, using it as a writing exercise and wanting feedback isn't horrible. But it really does bother me when people write fan fiction, claim to be a fan, and completely characterize the characters. Harry and Snape would not happen. There was no gay sex in Harry Potter. If someone wanted to write a Dumbledore sex scene, fine. But to have teachers raping students is just gross. To have Draco hook up with Harry is weird and creepy and for most of the series we were talking about underage kids. I guess I'm just getting old, but seriously. If you want to write "slash" fiction, why not just make up some names and write it already? .

One of the most interesting fanfic stories I read was a Battlestar Galactica one in which Kara Thrace had been raised by her father rather than her mother. This had a substantial effect on her characterisation, and the author had to be careful to keep her recognisable as Kara while also exploring the effect of an entirely different upbringing. Similarly, I think slashfic isn't inherently bad, even between characters who are not explicitly gay/bisexual in the series, because it likewise plays with reinterpreting a character/relationship while striving to stay true to the original.

Because anyone can publish fanfic there's a lot of really awful stuff out there. This can be a good thing, as aspiring writers get feedback and improve, and may even go on to writing original fiction (Cassandra Clare posted fanfic before she wrote City of Bones), but that does require the writer to be trying to stay true to the original (or make alterations where there are specific reasons for them) and wish to improve as a writer. ETA: As a sidenote, I do tend to find fics based on works aimed at adults are of better quality than those based on YA works, because there's a world of difference between a thirty-year-old playing in his/her favourite fantasy world and a thirteen-year-old making his/her first attempt at writing fiction.

It takes a couple days to get enrolled, and then you have to hope classes are available. Many college classes are full and on waiting lists by the time classes start. Even for people who are already enrolled and registered, in the very first week, they aren't going to have the class read and critique the work of one special snowflake student.

Did she say college specifically? Lots of community centers have writing class clinic type things and I thought that could be both irregularly timed compared to semesters and daily. And it sounds like a fundie friendly option, like taking a crafts class down at the rec.

While this is terrible,I enjoy reading it for laughs and am happy to just go along for the ride. I felt the same about My Immortal, so maybe my sense of humor is just screwy.

Her "writing class" may be a bunch of like minded ladies sitting in a circle on Wednesday mornings, reading crap to each other.

Was the story taken down? I just tried to access it after reading Part 10 yesterday, and got an error message, but the starting page of fanfiction.net works just fine for me.

Edit: Never mind, was just an internet hiccup, works again.

Part of me agrees with her, part of me doesn't. I think she's being totally bitchy about it. I also think that with technology being the way it is, using it as a writing exercise and wanting feedback isn't horrible. But it really does bother me when people write fan fiction, claim to be a fan, and completely characterize the characters. Harry and Snape would not happen. There was no gay sex in Harry Potter. If someone wanted to write a Dumbledore sex scene, fine. But to have teachers raping students is just gross. To have Draco hook up with Harry is weird and creepy and for most of the series we were talking about underage kids. I guess I'm just getting old, but seriously. If you want to write "slash" fiction, why not just make up some names and write it already?

And as for the Hogwarts school of Prayers, OMG. WTF is she doing with Dean Thomas? "He said fluently," "He said eloquently," "he said intelligently" First thought is that this is some racism on how black people talk. "he said articulately" and there is all of this stuff on how he is dressed "respectably" and "clean cut." It's weird.

She says some things in that post about copyright that are a little dubious, IMO. IANAL, but I deal a lot with copyright in my non-FJ life and actually in my FJ life come to think of it ;) Copyright is not like a trademark or servicemark. Once you have published something, you own the copyright full stop. You have the right to allow or disallow people to use your work however you want and you don't have to defend your decisions or even defend the copyright at all. It exists...period.

When it comes to a trademark or servicemark that is not the case. You MUST defend those each and every time or you can lose them if it becomes too diluted.

There are also exceptions to copyright that you can't do anything about. I'm not sure fan fic would really fall under any of those, but exceptions *do* exist. To my knowledge there are no exceptions for trade/servicemarks.

She says some things in that post about copyright that are a little dubious, IMO. IANAL, but I deal a lot with copyright in my non-FJ life and actually in my FJ life come to think of it ;) Copyright is not like a trademark or servicemark. Once you have published something, you own the copyright full stop. You have the right to allow or disallow people to use your work however you want and you don't have to defend your decisions or even defend the copyright at all. It exists...period.

When it comes to a trademark or servicemark that is not the case. You MUST defend those each and every time or you can lose them if it becomes too diluted.

There are also exceptions to copyright that you can't do anything about. I'm not sure fan fic would really fall under any of those, but exceptions *do* exist. To my knowledge there are no exceptions for trade/servicemarks.

But exceptions only happen .000000001% of the time, so we don't need to discuss them and should delete all comments about the exceptions.

So here's some dice: Grace Ann Parsons doesn't bring anything up of consequence, but searching "proudhousewife" does. She's posted the story in a few places, apparently. A link (below) to a reddit categorization of all of her posts shows some interesting exchanges. My jury is out on whether she's a troll or not (I think at heart, I want her not to be just so that I can be that astounded...) but I'm leaning toward yes, after her vehement denial of even knowing what a poe is, and her argument regarding the Weasleys:

"What is "a Poe"? Do you mean "Edgar Allen Poe"? It is a bit silly to call him "a Poe", he is just Poe!!! But, if so, no. This story is about the Harry Potter books by J K Rowling. Poe is way too scary for my little ones!!!"

and

"I'm so sorry, I did not see your edit. Ron... well... let me put it this way: when I see a family, all of them have red hair, and they have seven children... we all know what religion they are supposed to be, now don't we?"

Too good.

http://www.reddit.com/user/proudhousewife

ETA: Poe quote.

Fanfic is considered derivative work, and the copyright holder (CH for the rest of this post) has exclusive right and can either allow others to make derivatives, or disallow it. If a CH doesn't want to allow it, the CH can demand the derivative work be pulled, and can sue for infringement if it's not removed. If the CH allows fanfiction in general, this doesn't mean that a story can't still be infringing. Fifty Shades was technically infringing on Stephenie Meyer's work when EL James started hawking Fifty Shades for financial gain while still using the names of Meyer's characters. If a fanfic is used for profit, that's infringing. So it using fanfic in a way that may harm the original work. Grace Ann Parsons is walking a fine line with another part of fair use. The nature of her work is to rewrite Harry Potter rather than to add to it. Even though she does a terrible job, she thinks she's rewriting the story only taking out the witchcraft. Since her intention is to retell the story with one real change (even though we can see tons of them), her intention is in the area of infringement. The nature of her work and how much she's intending to reuse from the original is something she needs to seriously reconsider since there's a good chance she'd lose if Rowling wasn't such a gracious woman.

There ARE exceptions to trademarks. You can use them as comparatives with impunity. "Compare to Arm & Hammer baking soda." If they haven't acquired secondary meaning, you can use them to describe something. Secondary meaning means that a trademark is associated heavily with a producer of goods or provider of services in the area you want to use it. You can't describe your hotel as a Holiday Inn hotel, for instance, since you'd think that was a hotel service provided by Holiday Inn, but you can describe your couch as a Simpsons couch because you don't connect The Simpsons with the producer of a couch, even though you think of the show. If you heard Simpsons couch, you'd think of the couch from the show, but not of a maker of it for real-life.

I've owned and had to defend trademarks, and very very recently had to deal with some copyright issues. As in last week I had to deal with fair-trade of a trademark. Usually whoever has more money is going to win, which means Grace Ann is the underdog in all ways.

Editing to add a link to trademark overview from a legit source: https://cyber.law.harvard.edu/metaschoo ... ain/tm.htm

So here's some dice: Grace Ann Parsons doesn't bring anything up of consequence, but searching "proudhousewife" does. She's posted the story in a few places, apparently. A link (below) to a reddit categorization of all of her posts shows some interesting exchanges. My jury is out on whether she's a troll or not (I think at heart, I want her not to be just so that I can be that astounded...) but I'm leaning toward yes, after her vehement denial of even knowing what a poe is, and her argument regarding the Weasleys:

"What is "a Poe"? Do you mean "Edgar Allen Poe"? It is a bit silly to call him "a Poe", he is just Poe!!! But, if so, no. This story is about the Harry Potter books by J K Rowling. Poe is way too scary for my little ones!!!"

and

"I'm so sorry, I did not see your edit. Ron... well... let me put it this way: when I see a family, all of them have red hair, and they have seven children... we all know what religion they are supposed to be, now don't we?"

Too good.

http://www.reddit.com/user/proudhousewife

ETA: Poe quote.

If she's real, and is one of those extremely naive people, she might not know what a Poe is, and I do know large families who look alike who've had people presume they're Catholics, especially if they're not in frumpers. Large families + girls in pants = Catholic Large families + girls in frumpers = godly

Archived