IGNORED

Sparkling Adventures in Child Neglect - "Gayby" on Board

happy atheist

I can 100% see Lauren at Burning Man. I can also see her at Holi (Indian festival of colors), but really, I would LOVE IT if she became a Juggalo. Quick, someone tell her about the intimate bonds of friendship and Faygo that lie waiting for her in the uncharted territory of America.

Lauren hanging with Juggalos would be amazing. Someone make this happen if she comes to the US.

I can't believe I haven't connected Lauren to Burning Man before. She would be all over that. I can also see her sparkling it up as she passes through Indian reservations. Explanation of how her family has a soul connection to the Plains tribes because of their shared peripatetic way of life. Finding a new spirit animal. Filtered instagram shot of her in a feathered headdress. Mentions of how some great-great-great-great grandmother was actually a Cheyenne healer.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cultural appropriation is so authentic! When she goes to the US she'll call herself the Itinerant Indian and cut some fringes into her skirt, put some feathers in her dreads and camp out in reservations. They'll love her! (not)

Maybe she has some sign on her current bus calling herself a gypsy and that's why they were robbed -pissed off some Roma people.

It would be a little ironic if she was indeed ripped off by Roma (and she was able to ascertain that)... wonder if then she'd still keep identifying as a Gypsy herself?

Often, it's better than French from France, so a good point for her. I'm ashamed of my french when I hear my ivoirian neighboor talking on the street :?

Have you ever seen kids at Burning Man? Are they allowed? (I've never been) It just seems like her kind of thing... not appropriate for children, full of creative people, radically outside of usual social norms...

Oh yes, kids come to BM. There is even a camp called Kidville. There aren't many, but they are included. Lots run naked or have great costumes and pay no mind to the adults doing the same.

The Grifted Gypsy is back in Australia, but they seem to be traveling by campervan/bus thru the merry Alps. I wouldn't be surprised if she traded bus access with some European rainbow family who wanted to go see Australia.

Ah. Thanks for explaining that.

Lauren hanging with Juggalos would be amazing. Someone make this happen if she comes to the US.

I can't believe I haven't connected Lauren to Burning Man before. She would be all over that. I can also see her sparkling it up as she passes through Indian reservations. Explanation of how her family has a soul connection to the Plains tribes because of their shared peripatetic way of life. Finding a new spirit animal. Filtered instagram shot of her in a feathered headdress. Mentions of how some great-great-great-great grandmother was actually a Cheyenne healer.

What is this talk of plains people and Cheyenne and such? All authentic people know indians are indians!!!! Just like calling yourself a gypsy because you travel a lot is just a fun play on words! What are you, retarded? [/sarcasmatLauren]

New Red Gypsy Lauren FB post up, just a little gab about girls in movies (the Bechdel test), nothing about her troubles or anything personal.

Lauren the Red Indian.... gah!

Well she does claim a connection to the Australian Aborigines because once an indigenous man in a shopping centre noticed her dreads and air of authenticity and asked her if she had any pot . But, as she explained, he used the authentic aboriginal word ganja (I probably don't even need to note this, but marihuana is not native to Australia, is not traditionally used by our indigenous people, and "ganja" is obviously derived from the word marihuana, not from a native language group. And it's a word commonly used by many Australians). So yeah......

New Red Gypsy Lauren FB post up, just a little gab about girls in movies (the Bechdel test), nothing about her troubles or anything personal.

I'm sure 4 year old Del is absolutely fascinated by her mother's feminist critique of cinema.

Fuck, she is so fucking pretentious.

I'm sure 4 year old Del is absolutely fascinated by her mother's feminist critique of cinema.

Fuck, she is so fucking pretentious.

My friends and I talk about the Bechdel test a lot. But we are also a gang of English professors, librarians, and women's studies majors and/or affiliated factulty. (So basically the least intimidating gang ever) I would hope we are just nerdy and not pretentious. Dear god- are we pretentious fuckwits?

What is pretentious is calling yourself so authentic and believing that you just discovered something that has been expressly around for nearly 30 years and has been in an aspect of cultural critique since at least 1929.

My friends and I talk about the Bechdel test a lot. But we are also a gang of English professors, librarians, and women's studies majors and/or affiliated factulty. (So basically the least intimidating gang ever) I would hope we are just nerdy and not pretentious. Dear god- are we pretentious fuckwits?

What is pretentious is calling yourself so authentic and believing that you just discovered something that has been expressly around for nearly 30 years and has been in an aspect of cultural critique since at least 1929.

I don't think it's pretentious to talk about and be interested in the portrayal or women in cinema.

I do think it's pretentious to post on Facebook about how that's how you and your 4, 6, 8 and 9 year old are passing the time while you drive.

It's entirely possible that the older two girls are interested. They are probably also a little confused, as they grew up with their mother submitting to their father, being taught that men were the heads of households. But I find it difficult to believe the younger girls are entertained by this, as opposed to I Spy or Guess the Animal. But Lauren would never post about the normal kids games her children might enjoy, cause that doesn't show how special and enlightened she is.

I don't think it's pretentious to talk about and be interested in the portrayal or women in cinema.

I do think it's pretentious to post on Facebook about how that's how you and your 4, 6, 8 and 9 year old are passing the time while you drive.

It's entirely possible that the older two girls are interested. They are probably also a little confused, as they grew up with their mother submitting to their father, being taught that men were the heads of households. But I find it difficult to believe the younger girls are entertained by this, as opposed to I Spy or Guess the Animal. But Lauren would never post about the normal kids games her children might enjoy, cause that doesn't show how special and enlightened she is.

Whew. Thank you. I am having one of those days where I am feeling super awkward. Totally and completely powerfully awkward. The Bechdel Test is a seriously entertaining to us. Of course we can also be brought to doubled over, eye watering pants wetting fits of laughter by the word "rutabaga" and the phrase "And THAT'S why you will NEVER have a unicorn". We are nothing if not odd.

Well she does claim a connection to the Australian Aborigines because once an indigenous man in a shopping centre noticed her dreads and air of authenticity and asked her if she had any pot . But, as she explained, he used the authentic aboriginal word ganja (I probably don't even need to note this, but marihuana is not native to Australia, is not traditionally used by our indigenous people, and "ganja" is obviously derived from the word marihuana, not from a native language group. And it's a word commonly used by many Australians). So yeah......

That's really quite hilarious. So the guy was opportunistic and saw what he thought might be a hippie stoner and asked for ganja, a word used all over the world. But this was proof of how authentic she'd become and how aboriginal?

I think I'd rethink my outfit if someone asked me for drugs out of the blue.

Then again this is someone who blogged about polyamory and the like when in fact she was lying on the spare bed with a menstrual cup for a couple who wouldn't even sit there. And then called the surrogacy a "love affair".

Actually it's not hilarious. It's bloody sad.

That's really quite hilarious. So the guy was opportunistic and saw what he thought might be a hippie stoner and asked for ganja, a word used all over the world. But this was proof of how authentic she'd become and how aboriginal?

I think I'd rethink my outfit if someone asked me for drugs out of the blue.

Then again this is someone who blogged about polyamory and the like when in fact she was lying on the spare bed with a menstrual cup for a couple who wouldn't even sit there. And then called the surrogacy a "love affair".

Actually it's not hilarious. It's bloody sad.

When I was sixteen people used to ask me if I sold drugs or wanted to buy drugs multiple times while I was out and about. I always assumed it had to do with my age, schlubby clothes/grooming, and Shaggy doppelganger boyfriend. I didn't realize it was my authenticity shining through.

I think that's a rite of passage at a young age. I went through a dredful grunge stage, a lot more schleppy than fashion conscious that's for sure, although it was during the peak of the cobain era.

But I'd think twice about it as a 30-something mother of 5.

My autocorrect is determined to spell marijuana as marihuana for some reason, and I can't edit now I've been quoted, so I'm

correcting here.

When I was sixteen people used to ask me if I sold drugs or wanted to buy drugs multiple times while I was out and about. I always assumed it had to do with my age, schlubby clothes/grooming, and Shaggy doppelganger boyfriend. I didn't realize it was my authenticity shining through.

Ironically, I DID do some weed selling in high school, but no one ever suspected me. My style was greatly shaped by Liv Tyler on the Empire Records poster- kilts and crop sweaters, doc martens, straight hair.

Ironically, I DID do some weed selling in high school, but no one ever suspected me. My style was greatly shaped by Liv Tyler on the Empire Records poster- kilts and crop sweaters, doc martens, straight hair.

So many fellow 90s teens....... I favoured the whole kinder whore Courtney Love style, but I loved loved loved my Docs. I'm actually considering buying a new pair as a responsible suburban mum - they have a gorgeous Chinese willow pattern design out that is calling to me.

So many fellow 90s teens....... I favoured the whole kinder whore Courtney Love style, but I loved loved loved my Docs. I'm actually considering buying a new pair as a responsible suburban mum - they have a gorgeous Chinese willow pattern design out that is calling to me.

Woo hoooooo! I'm not alone! I am also considering new Docs. I still have my Docs from high school. My six year old informed me that Docs are "really ugly, Mommy." Blasphemy, I tell you! Mr. Wndrland found her comment hilarious but he also has looked at new Docs.

Woo hoooooo! I'm not alone! I am also considering new Docs. I still have my Docs from high school. My six year old informed me that Docs are "really ugly, Mommy." Blasphemy, I tell you! Mr. Wndrland found her comment hilarious but he also has looked at new Docs.

I still maintain that once broken in they are the most comfortable shoes in the world. I rarely wore any other shoes in my late teens/early 20s and I should have known ex husband was the wrong man for me when he told me that I was too old to wear my silver docs as my every day shoes.

Oh yeah the blisters when breaking them in. But soooo comfortable when they are softened up. Love my Docs.

Wow. When I was a uni and waiting on Redfern station for a train home, it was a rare night that an aboriginal kid didn't ask me for Cigarettes, Alcohol, Pot, etc. Being a 17-18-19yo with attitude, I use to tell everybody about the terrible parenting these children must be receiving that they were out late at night asking me for drugs. All this time, it was my authenticity shining through!

Oh man, I got the WORST blisters yesterday from my Docs. I was limping by the end of the day, and there was blood on my socks in spite of the bandaids I used. It was more my socks rubbing than the boots, but I still can't wear them after all these years without bandaids.

I have a pair that's slightly too big for me (I love them, they have a painting called The Garden of Earthly Delights printed on them) and they don't rub as much as the ones that are my actual size.

Archived