IGNORED

The ALS Challenge Kills Babies!

Rachel333

The last post I saw that said not to do it, in addition to the drought, was because the ALS Association actually puts about 10% of their funds towards research. I looked at their info, and it does seems that's a fairly small component of what they do, but it does look like they do provide support to run various clinics and direct supports to People with ALS and their caregivers. I really wonder how they are going to handle this huge influx of cash.

I wonder what those Fundies will think when they learn about the Tacos or Beer for Abortions challenge!

On a related note, a vegan fb friend of mine posted that the ALS foundation tests on animals and that had her all riled up.

The reality is, EVERYTHING is tested on animals. Medications, any soaps/makeup, etc. I just completed a course on Primate Conservation and Behavior and one of our speakers works at a lab caring for the macaques, who are used to try new courses of chemo or vaccines or any number of things. Even if the product says it isn't, it IS. It's required. And I highly doubt even the militant vegans would sign up to be first in line to try something entirely new with absolutely no testing at all.

It is horrible to think about, but a small silver lining is that the people involved usually care deeply about each animal, often on an individual basis, and does everything they are able to ensure they are given the best quality of life in that situation.

For Firiel: another article on adult stem cell research. This man is one of the leaders in the field. He is focused on finding the cure for type 1 diabetes but his lab has donated strains of adult stem cells to many other labs for research purposes. http://www.wbur.org/2013/03/26/doug-mel ... isionaries.

Also, a clarification by ALSA on the research sponsored not using embryonic stem cells: http://erlc.com/article/the-faqs-the-al ... -challenge

Bottom line, only one of the ALSA sponsored projects uses embryonic stem cells and that has a single independent donor.

The last post I saw that said not to do it, in addition to the drought, was because the ALS Association actually puts about 10% of their funds towards research. I looked at their info, and it does seems that's a fairly small component of what they do, but it does look like they do provide support to run various clinics and direct supports to People with ALS and their caregivers. I really wonder how they are going to handle this huge influx of cash.

I'm pretty critical of the ice bucket challenge as a good fundraiser, but there is some muddled thinking going on here!

So this twit is telling people not to donate to the ALS Association because in the past it hasn't sponsored enough research when it is doing a fundraiser specifically to support more research? :roll:

AFAIK, The ALSA spear-heads most of the fund-raising for research, but also supports the local Chapters providing direct services and supports.

If people don't want to support research, there is a crying need for more services too. It's not just access to existing services and support groups for ALS patients and caregivers, it's also the desperate need for Respite, home modifications, assistive devices, and communication devices to help with QoL. Many chapters have a loan closet for assistive devices and communication devices but there are long waiting lists.

I'm pretty critical of the ice bucket challenge as a good fundraiser, but there is some muddled thinking going on here!

So this twit is telling people not to donate to the ALS Association because in the past it hasn't sponsored enough research when it is doing a fundraiser specifically to support more research? :roll:

AFAIK, The ALSA spear-heads most of the fund-raising for research, but also supports the local Chapters providing direct services and supports.

If people don't want to support research, there is a crying need for more services too. It's not just access to existing services and support groups for ALS patients and caregivers, it's also the desperate need for Respite, home modifications, assistive devices, and communication devices to help with QoL. Many chapters have a loan closet for assistive devices and communication devices but there are long waiting lists.

If you donate, there is an option to donate to research only.

Also, according to their website, 28% of money spent goes towards research, and only 7% goes towards "administration."

http://www.alsa.org/about-us/financial-information.html

If you donate, there is an option to donate to research only.

Also, according to their website, 28% of money spent goes towards research, and only 7% goes towards "administration."

http://www.alsa.org/about-us/financial-information.html

Yes, thanks. Only 7% towards administration is actually very good. I'm all for research, but if people don't want to go for research (because stem cells or animal research quibbles) services can use funding too.

Not to be a bore on this subject, and I'm posting on both ALS threads and can't remember what I've posted where, I support donations to ALS orgs. A much loved family member died of ALS (or subset of ALS) so it is a charity dear to my heart.

I have some problems with this specific fundraiser, but ALS orgs certainly need the funding.

That said: if you absolutely must chuck a bucket of something over your head and video it for social media to donate:

1. Consider something other than water.

2. Just donate to the charity of your choice. It doesn't have to be ALS.

3. Be careful not to injure yourself while doing so (there is correlation if not causation with percussive head injuries and ALS/other degenerative neurological illness).

4. Do it yourself. Don't do it to your toddler, dog or hamster. Those blooper videos. :shock:

And for those Fundies out there squealing God and killing babieees!!!!: Don't think your beliefs and prayers will protect you. These diseases can strike down any one at any time. Even so-called "Christians."

The reality is, EVERYTHING is tested on animals. Medications, any soaps/makeup, etc. I just completed a course on Primate Conservation and Behavior and one of our speakers works at a lab caring for the macaques, who are used to try new courses of chemo or vaccines or any number of things. Even if the product says it isn't, it IS. It's required. And I highly doubt even the militant vegans would sign up to be first in line to try something entirely new with absolutely no testing at all.

It is horrible to think about, but a small silver lining is that the people involved usually care deeply about each animal, often on an individual basis, and does everything they are able to ensure they are given the best quality of life in that situation.

And the other thing is, as much as I wish we didn't have to hurt animals to have some of the medicines and vaccines we now have, animal testing is a slight step up from what we used to do: give untested, potentially (and often actually) dangerous drugs or treatments to poor people of color either in our own country or in other areas. Because of crap like that, treating Ebola in west Africa is even more of an uphill battle than it otherwise would be, since many black Africans rightly do not trust Western doctors (if you knew about what was going on just a few decades ago, would you?). It's also why some people in the US/Caribbean are anti-vax.

From my understanding the embroys are obtained from invitro fertilization service companies and it is the extra embroys. So basically the attitude is keep these cells in the freezer instead of them serving a scientific use.

Well, yeah, and there are so many people lining up to adopt all of those extra embryos, so there's no need to use them for research. If everyone would adopt a "snowflake," everything would be fine.

This was suggested to me when we weren't able to have kids for a 5 year span. Of course, my issue wasn't getting pregnant. It was staying pregnant. So I guess it would have been better to doom them to death via my body instead of via research?

Archived