IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encountersâ„¢ Part 2

happy atheist

Don't some people consider using a word in place of God or Jesus to be just as bad? Like I said "Jiminy Crickets" in place of "Jesus Christ"?

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a fundie attempt to chastise me for using the word abba for other than God.

Abba is found in the Bible! Does this idiot not realize that? Jesus used the term when he was praying in the Garden of Gethsemane.

Abba is found in the Bible! Does this idiot not realize that? Jesus used the term when he was praying in the Garden of Gethsemane.

There was a video on Pecan's blog where Priscilla used the name Jehova. I was shocked because I didn't realize non-Jehova's Witnesses used the term, let alone Priscilla.

There were street preachers/protesters at a country concert this past Friday. Several of us in line were like "WTH?" a nice 45+ lady ahead of us said "Don't they realize most country fans are Christian?" All I was thinking, I need a picture for FJ and not with the innocent prey walking around these 3 guys. I couldn't get a picture of the guy with the headset and speakers shouting at all of us- with his black, leather bound Bible (I assume it was a Bible, I didn't get to close to him). When the concert let out (past midnight) the 3 men weren't there but a street performer was still performing. In case you can't read it, the Bible verse is Acts 3:19- 19 Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, (NIV, I am sure they read KJV but yeah, I won't). On the side, the concert was great. :cracking-up:

[thumbnail]

post-9835-14451999329432_thumb.jpg

post-9835-14451999329725_thumb.jpg

This isn't exactly a fundie encounter, but I'm not sure where else to put it. I'm ashamed to admit that I am actually extremely jealous of my fundie cousin! She and her husband and their daughter just went to New Zealand to live for 3 months. This is after an anniversary trip to Portugal this past February and a month long trip to France and Germany last fall!!!! Not to mention the year they lived in Panama a while back. I honestly have no idea how they afford all these trips, but I know they essentially game the system to get airline miles using credit cards. I just don't know how they afford lodging and groceries. Cousin is a SAHM of course and her husband sells decorative lights online (seriously).

I had a fundie attempt to chastise me for using the word abba for other than God.

"Abba" is the Hebrew word for "dad". Like, the common, street word. When religious Israelis want to say something along the lines of "our father in heaven", they'd use "av" which is like the more formal "father". What do Christians use "abba" for?

This is only a second-hand fundie royalty encounter, but it's probably the closest I'm going to get given that I live in the UK and have never met any sort of fundie let alone any of the ones talked about on FJ.

Basically, I am on holiday in Ireland at the moment with my husband's extended family. We are staying in a set of country cottages (all joined together around a courtyard). I was flicking through the guest book earlier, and lo and behold I found an entry for the Duggar family!! I was surprised, naturally enough, as it was the last thing I was expecting to see. The entry dates from 2011, and when I get the chance I'll copy it out on here for you all.

Was it 2011 when they went on their trip to the UK and Ireland? Or is this entry a joke one someone made for a laugh? It doesn't mention religious stuff anywhere, which is a bit suspect given their fundieness, but on the other hand...hardly anyone over here has heard of the Duggars so why would anyone bother to fake it?

I used to belong to a camping club. One of the families was, I'd say, "fundy medium". They homeschooled; their daughter had her first kiss at her wedding; she wore a purity ring.. their son played the guitar, but only Christian music. They always tried to convert our group to Christ... Hello! Roman Catholic here! BTDT! Their most annoying trait, however, was the licenses on their (three) cars: SAVED, SAVED 2, SAVED 3. SMUG, anyone?

"Abba" is the Hebrew word for "dad". Like, the common, street word. When religious Israelis want to say something along the lines of "our father in heaven", they'd use "av" which is like the more formal "father". What do Christians use "abba" for?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABBA

What do Christians use "abba" for?

The woman who wanted to take me to task (I basically told her to police her busybody tendencies and leave me alone.) said it was only to be used for Father (God).

A couple weeks ago my daughter and Mom and I went out to lunch and saw a fundie Momma with kids ranging in approximate age from baby to oh... maybe 8? And there were 5 of the kids. It was kind of funny, one little girl that looked to be maybe 7 years old looked over at us and we could see her STARING at Lily (my daughter) hardcore. She then looked at me and my Mom and was hardcore looking at us. My Mom just looks up from her food... no look on her face at all but the girl got this "Oh shit" look and slipped down UNDER the table. The mother says "You sit up right now please!" And we hear the little girl say "But that lady LOOKED at me!" lol cracked us up.

So then they were figuring out what to order and the kids ask for soda. The Mother says "Did you have your milk this morning?" Some kids said "Yes Ma'am I had two glasses" or "I had one!" We hear her say "You can have soda or milk, but remember if you have soda then that is your one glass for the week." I am all for healthy lifestyles but when eating out... and still wanting kids to stick to one glass of soda a week... it's kind of crazy. The little boys wouldnt look at the female waiter in the face at all... whenever she came to the table to talk to them they whipped their heads downward and basically talked to the table. It was just weird.

The kids all seem bewildered by the people around them. One girl walked by with tattoos and one of the younger boys said "Did you see all that, tattoos are supposed to be bad." And then another girl says "Momma why does that girl have her bosoms showing so much, that is not being very Godly. I don't like girls like that." The mother chastised them a little but seemed to agree. It was just so weird... I dont see a lot of that in our area... maybe they were traveling but Colorado is a pretty open place to be... ya know with all our legal pot smoking and all lol ;)

It gave us a little giggle while eating lunch. My daughter did something or said something, I don't recall what and one of the kids whispered (which wasn't really a whisper AT ALL) into her mothers ear "Is that girl supposed to be doing (insert whatever she was doing here) Isn't that bad for kids to do that? Why doesn't her mother make her stop?"

Id hate to raise my daughter to scorn the actions of others, and to also be so bewildered by society that you would never fully fit in. But then I picture the Duggars and how HAPPY they are all the time since they cant think differently... and it makes sense. Still makes it sad though!

I have had many fundie/fundie-lite encounters, but I didn’t even know what they were until I started reading here. I just thought of them as religious or really religious people.

I have a good friend who was raised fundie-lite and is trying hard to move away from her family’s belief. She even befriended a Catholic (the horror!) lol Her parents attend (I believe) the same church as Lori Alexander. The more she tells me the more I’m just :pink-shock:

The most recent, non-friend fundie appearance was when I was in the ICU waiting room area. A lady from either JW or LDS came over to me and asked if I knew someone in the ICU. I explained that my father had just been brought in and was very sick. We chatted for a few minutes and then she said that because my father was dying she wasn’t going to talk to me about religion. Yeah, that lasted about 2 minutes. :lol: She then went on and on about Jesus and a few other things. When the doctor came out to talk to me, she left a couple of the little booklets/pamphlets for me to read over. (like I really wanted to read about my dad going to hell when he was dying…). She was very nice though and actually seemed empathetic to my dad’s predicament.

I have also had numerous people come up to me and ask if I “have Jesus in me†or have “accepted Jesus.†Then, before I can answer, they study my eyes and say that yes, I do. I still have NO clue what that is about. One old lady even held my face so that she could examine my eyes properly… Apparently my eyes say that I have Jesus trapped within me and he’s screaming to get out? :think: I’ve had this happen at least 5 times in the past 2 years. :confusion-shrug:

I got invited to a 31 party, which is evidently a bag company that is named after Proverbs 31. Does anyone know anything about this company? Reaaaly don't want to give money to a company that's fundie...

ViolaSebastian, I invited a new acquaintance to a friend's 31 party last Wednesday. Could it have been you? If not, strange coincidence. If so, if we both know each other IRL, our morning walk will have much better FJ topics to discuss. :)

ViolaSebastian, I invited a new acquaintance to a friend's 31 party last Wednesday. Could it have been you? If not, strange coincidence. If so, if we both know each other IRL, our morning walk will have much better FJ topics to discuss. :)

OMG, I so want it to turn out that you guys actually know each other!

I have started looking around at people in my life to see if any of them could be FJites. So far it doesn't seem likely, but it seems like sooner or later… :D

I have also had numerous people come up to me and ask if I “have Jesus in me†or have “accepted Jesus.†Then, before I can answer, they study my eyes and say that yes, I do. I still have NO clue what that is about. One old lady even held my face so that she could examine my eyes properly… Apparently my eyes say that I have Jesus trapped within me and he’s screaming to get out? :think: I’ve had this happen at least 5 times in the past 2 years. :confusion-shrug:

Aaaand cue images of Jesus bursting out of your chest a la Chestbursters in the Alien franchise.. Sorry had to do that.. :lol:

Aaaand cue images of Jesus bursting out of your chest a la Chestbursters in the Alien franchise.. Sorry had to do that.. :lol:

:think: :laughing-rolling:

A couple weeks ago my daughter and Mom and I went out to lunch and saw a fundie Momma with kids ranging in approximate age from baby to oh... maybe 8? And there were 5 of the kids. It was kind of funny, one little girl that looked to be maybe 7 years old looked over at us and we could see her STARING at Lily (my daughter) hardcore. She then looked at me and my Mom and was hardcore looking at us. My Mom just looks up from her food... no look on her face at all but the girl got this "Oh shit" look and slipped down UNDER the table. The mother says "You sit up right now please!" And we hear the little girl say "But that lady LOOKED at me!" lol cracked us up.

So then they were figuring out what to order and the kids ask for soda. The Mother says "Did you have your milk this morning?" Some kids said "Yes Ma'am I had two glasses" or "I had one!" We hear her say "You can have soda or milk, but remember if you have soda then that is your one glass for the week." I am all for healthy lifestyles but when eating out... and still wanting kids to stick to one glass of soda a week... it's kind of crazy. The little boys wouldnt look at the female waiter in the face at all... whenever she came to the table to talk to them they whipped their heads downward and basically talked to the table. It was just weird.

The kids all seem bewildered by the people around them. One girl walked by with tattoos and one of the younger boys said "Did you see all that, tattoos are supposed to be bad." And then another girl says "Momma why does that girl have her bosoms showing so much, that is not being very Godly. I don't like girls like that." The mother chastised them a little but seemed to agree. It was just so weird... I dont see a lot of that in our area... maybe they were traveling but Colorado is a pretty open place to be... ya know with all our legal pot smoking and all lol ;)

It gave us a little giggle while eating lunch. My daughter did something or said something, I don't recall what and one of the kids whispered (which wasn't really a whisper AT ALL) into her mothers ear "Is that girl supposed to be doing (insert whatever she was doing here) Isn't that bad for kids to do that? Why doesn't her mother make her stop?"

Id hate to raise my daughter to scorn the actions of others, and to also be so bewildered by society that you would never fully fit in. But then I picture the Duggars and how HAPPY they are all the time since they cant think differently... and it makes sense. Still makes it sad though!

Interesting encounter! Did your daughter ask u any questions about the family? Soo creepy that the boys didn't look & the waitress.

Back in my fundie/fundie light days (we were Free Will Baptists at the time) one of the local FWB preachers claimed he had the gift of discernment - could look at someone & not only tell if they had Jesus, but also if they would "persevere" or fall away into sin & go to hell. He bragged about this spritual gift a great deal.

One night he spoke at a session of the basement bible college I was attending. Afterwards everyone lined up to shake hands with him on the way out. When it was my turn he looked at me, then immediately turned to the next person in line. Completely ignored me, left me standing there like an idiot with my hand out and still speaking to him. It wasn't because I was female or dressed immodestly, either.

Of course, 10 years down the road & I'm at best agnostic, so I guess he was right! :lol:

Back in my fundie/fundie light days (we were Free Will Baptists at the time) one of the local FWB preachers claimed he had the gift of discernment - could look at someone & not only tell if they had Jesus, but also if they would "persevere" or fall away into sin & go to hell. He bragged about this spritual gift a great deal.

One night he spoke at a session of the basement bible college I was attending. Afterwards everyone lined up to shake hands with him on the way out. When it was my turn he looked at me, then immediately turned to the next person in line. Completely ignored me, left me standing there like an idiot with my hand out and still speaking to him. It wasn't because I was female or dressed immodestly, either.

Of course, 10 years down the road & I'm at best agnostic, so I guess he was right! :lol:

How very Christian of him. :roll:

I'm in Block Island on a beach vacation. I just saw a young couple--Orthodox Jews--crossing the street on bicycles. Despite the heat, they were covered from the neck down--she had long-sleeved black leotard/tights under her long skirt, and he was all covered up, too. They were wearing bike helmets, so I couldn't see their headgear, but the man had payiss (sidelocks).

My daughter sells 31, it is not fundie. I love their products. My daughter is a cafeteria Catholic married to a Lutheran non church goer.

This is only a second-hand fundie royalty encounter, but it's probably the closest I'm going to get given that I live in the UK and have never met any sort of fundie let alone any of the ones talked about on FJ.

Basically, I am on holiday in Ireland at the moment with my husband's extended family. We are staying in a set of country cottages (all joined together around a courtyard). I was flicking through the guest book earlier, and lo and behold I found an entry for the Duggar family!! I was surprised, naturally enough, as it was the last thing I was expecting to see. The entry dates from 2011, and when I get the chance I'll copy it out on here for you all.

Was it 2011 when they went on their trip to the UK and Ireland? Or is this entry a joke one someone made for a laugh? It doesn't mention religious stuff anywhere, which is a bit suspect given their fundieness, but on the other hand...hardly anyone over here has heard of the Duggars so why would anyone bother to fake it?

Interesting. 2011 sounds about right, though I could see some super-fan faking it as well. Though I'm pretty sure at one point during the filming it shows Josh waving out of their accomodations. So maybe you could watch the episode and see if you recognize anything?

I know a devout Mormon in real life and she is about to send her oldest on mission. It's CRAZY to me to think that she is celebrating sending her son away for TWO YEARS with little contact. I asked some visiting Mormons once and I think they said they could call home on Christmas and Mother's Day. That's it.

Anyway, I don't know this woman's parenting style very well, but the whole way in which her conversation is full of what she has to do to get him ready, how proud they are of him, etc., feels like a huge avenue for narcissistic supply. I wonder how much of the brainwashing makes it work because there's glory in it for the parents as well.

How very Christian of him. :roll:

If someone came up to me and tell me that they could tell by looking at me whether or not Jesus was in me, or I was saved or not, I would slowly back away. Even in my churchgoing days.

If someone came up to me and tell me that they could tell by looking at me whether or not Jesus was in me, or I was saved or not, I would slowly back away. Even in my churchgoing days.

I would pretend to be a Christian and see if he would see through me. Just for kicks.

Last year the Mormons bought a house right next to my university. It's across the street. They have a booth almost every week at the university center. And I saw a pair today when I was catching the bus.

We also have a Hassidic Rabbi and his wife, and a variety of traveling preachers on occasion.

But they're all very nice. Except the preachers. They can be a little nuts.

• happy atheist locked and unpinned this topic

Archived