IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encountersâ„¢ Part 2

happy atheist

I live in northern New Jersey so the only large families I see are Orthodox or Hassidic Jewish families. They r a sight to see though.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the gym the other day I saw a woman in a black tee shirt with "I would suck without Jesus" in huge white block letters. Quite the testimony, I thought. :lol:

Sounds like an item from XGay Greg's fashion line. :twisted:

This was not a fundie sighting, but the woman in the second picture at the Hobby Lobby protest looks rather like our stereotypical fundie lady: long wavy hair, blue dress that almost looks like denim below her knees, black stockings, sneakers, little makeup.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/0 ... hoto-Diary

What I love is that she is holding a sign that says "I can't believe we're still protesting this shit!" The total effect is so subversive.

This was not a fundie sighting, but the woman in the second picture at the Hobby Lobby protest looks rather like our stereotypical fundie lady: long wavy hair, blue dress that almost looks like denim below her knees, black stockings, sneakers, little makeup.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/0 ... hoto-Diary

What I love is that she is holding a sign that says "I can't believe we're still protesting this shit!" The total effect is so subversive.

Is that a man!? Seriously, that is my knee-jerk reaction.

Is that a man!? Seriously, that is my knee-jerk reaction.

I can understand the "Is that a guy thing" because the woman's not wearing any makeup. She does look like one of the Monty Pythons who were famous for doing fairly unattractive women in drag. I'm not saying she's ugly, but she does need a little color on her face and she should lose the stockings.

I got invited to a 31 party, which is evidently a bag company that is named after Proverbs 31. Does anyone know anything about this company? Reaaaly don't want to give money to a company that's fundie...

Meh. I went to a 31 party a while back. It's your basic multi level marketing scheme with a Christian twist. The bags I ordered were not good quality for the price.

I can understand the "Is that a guy thing" because the woman's not wearing any makeup. She does look like one of the Monty Pythons who were famous for doing fairly unattractive women in drag. I'm not saying she's ugly, but she does need a little color on her face and she should lose the stockings.

I think this woman just has a "manly" face, in the sense that some people have faces that have the stereotypical look of the opposite gender, or are fairly androgynous. And it's a terrible photo. Poor lady!

I got invited to a 31 party, which is evidently a bag company that is named after Proverbs 31. Does anyone know anything about this company? Reaaaly don't want to give money to a company that's fundie...

I'm a 31 consultant. Nothing funny about it other than its based on Proverbs 31. I love the stuff and love the extra money I make too. The owner/founder is a pretty normal woman. Her husband gives off the duchess vibe to me. They're not quiver full or expect women to be housewives and spit out babies. They give to good charities and got into trouble with the fundies because one of the charities they give to in Ohio supports planned parenthood. Several of my customers quit buying because of that. :roll:

Perhaps she is dressed that way ironically......in costume, so to speak.

Perhaps she is dressed that way ironically......in costume, so to speak.

Her style looks like an aunt of mine who is in no way Fundie, but only wears dumpy dresses...probably because of her weight and I'm sure her weight is up even more because there is no zipper-syndrome to keep it in check, lol. Pants just become unflattering after a certain point or uncomfortable for those who just don't care. Both women are on the unattractive side, but the pictured (woman?) wins the "maleface" award.

Not to be a killjoy, but could we please not do the "Is that a man?" / "Here's how this person could look more gender-compliant" thing?

I do not think it matters what gender the person in the frumper is. I am grateful that people are out there protesting Hobby Lobby with witty signs.

Signed,

Someone Who Has Had Total Strangers Try to Guess Her Gender on Public Transit with Variously Irritating / Terrifying Results

Not to be a killjoy, but could we please not do the "Is that a man?" / "Here's how this person could look more gender-compliant" thing?

I do not think it matters what gender the person in the frumper is. I am grateful that people are out there protesting Hobby Lobby with witty signs.

Signed,

Someone Who Has Had Total Strangers Try to Guess Her Gender on Public Transit with Variously Irritating / Terrifying Results

Thank you. I was also going to add that there are trans people out there whose look doesn't fit the stereotypes either. We know better than that. We *are* better than that.

And besides, we have real snarkwork to do… :stir-pot: :popcorn2:

I saw two very obviously Jewish people this afternoon at a park in the next town over from us-a man and a boy of about 12? They both had the long hair things at the side, the man wore a long black coat and a hat, and the boy was wearing a cap and a shirt.

This was the first time I have seen anyone dressed like this :)

I never said she had to look a certain way, and further tried to explain my point afterward, but I concede your point. XD I truly think it was just a bad photo. But major kudos to her for actively asserting her beliefs in public. That shit takes guts.

So I actually have two:

1. When I was 16, I went parking on a Saturday with a boyfriend behind an abandoned grocery store across the street from what we later learned was a synagogue. I heard voices and peeked through the back window of my car to see a sizable group of Orthodox Jewish men walking over to the synagogue. Not sure if they saw us (nike, nike!), but that's how I learned about the Orthodox Jewish community in my hometown.

2. During my junior and senior year of high school, I was heavily involved with my school's choir. At the time, there was a family that was always helping out with choir events. None of their children went to school there anymore, but they were always helping out with costuming, photography, and logistics. Finally some nosier girls asked the oldest son, who played piano for the jazz and a cappella choir rehearsals, what religion his family was and he said they were Pentecostal. I finally was able to put all the pieces together, seeing as the youngest daughter was a SAHD and she and her mother both wore long skirts and had their hair all piled up on their heads.

So I actually have two:

1. When I was 16, I went parking on a Saturday with a boyfriend behind an abandoned grocery store across the street from what we later learned was a synagogue. I heard voices and peeked through the back window of my car to see a sizable group of Orthodox Jewish men walking over to the synagogue. Not sure if they saw us (nike, nike!), but that's how I learned about the Orthodox Jewish community in my hometown.

2. During my junior and senior year of high school, I was heavily involved with my school's choir. At the time, there was a family that was always helping out with choir events. None of their children went to school there anymore, but they were always helping out with costuming, photography, and logistics. Finally some nosier girls asked the oldest son, who played piano for the jazz and a cappella choir rehearsals, what religion his family was and he said they were Pentecostal. I finally was able to put all the pieces together, seeing as the youngest daughter was a SAHD and she and her mother both wore long skirts and had their hair all piled up on their heads.

This isn't the first time I've heard people refer to Pentecostals as having their hair piled up on their heads. I went to school with a few Apostolic Pentecostal girls, and they usually wore their long hair down. Anyway, I looked it up and:

{L_OFFTOPIC} :
Apostolic Pentecostals teach that women should not cut their hair. They base this teaching on a literal interpretation of 1 Corinthians 11:1-16, which includes admonitions such as "every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head" and "if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering." Adult Apostolic Pentecostal women often wear their hair up in a bun, but there is no requirement to do so.

I'm a 31 consultant. Nothing funny about it other than its based on Proverbs 31. I love the stuff and love the extra money I make too. The owner/founder is a pretty normal woman. Her husband gives off the duchess vibe to me. They're not quiver full or expect women to be housewives and spit out babies. They give to good charities and got into trouble with the fundies because one of the charities they give to in Ohio supports planned parenthood. Several of my customers quit buying because of that. :roll:

I am a 31 consultant as well and the funny thing is that I actually never realized that the 31 in the name came from Proverbs 31 until after I had already decided to become a consultant. The owner IS a Christian...but not fundy at all. At the two consultant meetings I have gone to, the one that was held in a church hall did have a prayer to open the meeting, but that was about it as far as I saw. So...yeah, technically a Christian company (in name, anyway), but definitely not fundy!!

At the meetings I attend we have an opening and closing prayer a a short motivational thing that sometimes includes God. I try not to miss meetings because I love the freebies.

Yesterday we went to the fair and were almost Maxwelled! As in, fundies were on the conversion prowl.

First, I was there with my three kids and my friend and her 4 kids, so it was pretty chaotic. While some of the kids were on the swings I went to sit down at a table. There were some women there but as we approached they got up to let us have it. Nice! Then I saw that they had left one of those orange gideon mini bibles for us. They didn't say anything and once I noticed the bible I looked around to find them. I didn't engage them in conversation because I was not in the mood (had 7 kids remember? And it was hot as hell, and my friend doesn't know I am insane). But here is a pic from behind:

fair.jpg

Now I am kind of curious as to where they were from, since that woman had on some kind of head covering.

There was a small group street preaching at the farmers' market this morning-- monotone singing / chanting, plus constant invocations of "Jesus Croist."

It was the first time I'd ever felt bad for street preachers, whom I usually find annoying. They looked so miserable and pinch-faced in comparison to all the life going on around them that I had a fleeting impulse to pull out one of the apples I'd just bought and say, "Eat this. You'll feel better."

This is the kind of shit I do not miss. I once remember being scolded because I told someone "good luck". We were not to believe in luck. Everything good that happened (or bad) was a willful act of God.

I got scolded for saying, "gotcha" as an informal way of saying, "I understand," or "I heard you" to a minor communication. I was a bit confused when the woman asked, "what do you mean, you got me?" I had no idea what she meant and must have looked puzzled because she said, "You said you got me." It took another second, but I "got" what she meant. I said, "Oh, I just mean I understand. A figure of speech is all." She said, "Then you understand this about me: I am a Christian woman and no one has got me but Christ." :nuts:

I had a fundie attempt to chastise me for using the word abba for other than God.

• happy atheist locked and unpinned this topic

Archived