IGNORED

Arndt Annual Softball Classic

0 kids n not countin

It's interesting that the game is on Sunday.

When I was a kid I remember lots of non-LDS churches having picnics and other fun events on Sundays, and I could never attend (doing something other than church on a Sunday?! *insert shocked gasp here*) I've never really understood why many faith groups are okay with doing stuff on the so-called Day of Rest... I'm sure the Ardnts are purchasing the pizza on Sunday and not just reheating stuff they bought the day before. I always was taught that buying stuff on The Lords Day was the biggest no-no.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a kid I remember lots of non-LDS churches having picnics and other fun events on Sundays, and I could never attend (doing something other than church on a Sunday?! *insert shocked gasp here*) I've never really understood why many faith groups are okay with doing stuff on the so-called Day of Rest... I'm sure the Ardnts are purchasing the pizza on Sunday and not just reheating stuff they bought the day before. I always was taught that buying stuff on The Lords Day was the biggest no-no.

Yes, but you probably had non penguin friends, for all your "remembering The Lord's day and keeping it holy", and you've ended up a FJ reading heathen. I bet you're not even part of a "Famteam".

Here is a 4 year old thread where locals are discussing Rick's Softball "Classic"...

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/belleville-il/T2Q7RA1I256CP58IB

Read the comments, they are pretty funny.

I was on the floor reading that thread. Thank you!

Who do they play at this tournament?

I can take Amtrak down but I have no way of getting to Belleville from there :-(

Interesting. Their is a county by me in NJ that has "blue laws" which means they can't be opened on Sunday. Their is a huge mall that is not open on Sundays. However, the restaurants & grocery stores r opened.

That is a funny example of cultural differences. Growing up Catholic, I always thought the religious families were the ones going to picnics/baseball games/out to brunch after church on Sundays, because it was a way of spending the day together, away from TV, as a family. The "less devout" parishioners (ahem, my family) were the ones who did their hour in church and then went home to do work/watch TV/take the kids to their friends' houses.

I feel stupid, but I actually didn't learn that certain denominations didn't spend money on Sundays until a Mormon coworker mentioned it a year or two ago.

OMG, look what I found! Please no one send me their mailing address…

I… uh... decline to state what my search terms were :embarrassed:

original-penguin-open01-rpm3102-gsz.jpg

ETA: Sorry, that has absolutely nothing to do with their softball classic :dance:

I still don't get the logistics of this "Softball Classic"... So they just convince random people they meet playing softball throughout the year to come to this event, along with any Cardinals players/local celebrities? And these people just show up and get on a team without ever having played together before? And it's this team vs. the Arndts? What is in it for these people? Even if they are Christian, surely they have the option of better "ministries" to support?

I wonder what percentage of the spectators are the Arndts' extended family.

Ah, okay, nevermind, just read on their website that they play 3 teams: Area Media All-Stars, the St. Louis Cardinal Front Office club, and another team from the local area.

On a related note, there's an "encore" FamTeam weekend a month from now?? :pink-shock: :penguin-no:

This year’s FamTeam Weekend/Softball Classic will be held on Saturday evening, August 16, and Sunday, August 17. (The rain dates are August 23 and 24.)

The first Classic was held in 1999. As time unfolded, this annual event developed into something that we now call a FamTeam Weekend — a blend of Christian inspiration, indoor/outdoor fun, and friendship. As simple and “down-to-earth†as these weekends are, many participants have been deeply impacted by them (or, more accurately, by the transforming touch of Jesus Christ).

Over the years, several Cardinal baseball players (including Adam Wainwright, Mike Matheny, Mike Easler, Reggie Sanders, Mark Grudzielanek, and others) have attended the Classic and shared, in a heartfelt way, the ways in which God has impacted their lives.

This year’s event will open (on Saturday evening) with a picnic-style supper and a time of casual prayer. Sunday’s schedule will include the annual softball triple-header (the Arndt team traditionally faces the Area Media All-Stars, the St. Louis Cardinal Front Office club, and another team from the local area.) As usual, there will be Christian music, game and food tents, trivia challenges, and a home run derby!

There will be no charge for the event. (Those who take part in the Classic Eve cookout are invited to simply “chip in†for the cost of the meal.)

A final note — as of the present time, we are planning to host a follow-up or “encore†FamTeam Weekend on Saturday evening, September 13, and Sunday, September 14.

For information (including directions), do not hesitate to contact us!

.famteam.tv/safeathome/ At about 5:30 this video shows entertainment at last years "Classic" and pans occasionally to the "crowd" i'm guessing about 50 people or so were there in the stands. I wonder if most are relatives of either the Ardnts or the players.

Interesting. Their is a county by me in NJ that has "blue laws" which means they can't be opened on Sunday. Their is a huge mall that is not open on Sundays. However, the restaurants & grocery stores r opened.

In Germany the only stores that can be open are in the airport and train station (and gas stations, if you're okay with overpriced booze) There are two grocery stores in the train station in my city, and the line to the cashier goes to the back of the store... It's one of the only things I really dislike about living here.

In Germany the only stores that can be open are in the airport and train station (and gas stations, if you're okay with overpriced booze) There are two grocery stores in the train station in my city, and the line to the cashier goes to the back of the store... It's one of the only things I really dislike about living here.

SAME. I inevitably crave something I don't have on hand (my kitchen is never well stocked; I currently have two apples...) every Sunday.

This reminds me, I need to fill up tomorrow since the stores will be closed on Friday.

ETA: On the original topic of the Arndts, before I got all worked up about my grocery hours ;). This tournament is just so strange. Why would anyone want to come out and play a local, religious family with a bunch of ageing offspring?

OK, I hadn't been to the Ardnt site in ages. The picture of Mark holding a word document and his dad saying "Mark was instrumental in creating the Classic fliers." is just odd. Mark's a grown man. The document he is holding appears to be in Word. The documents mom has pinned on the wall also look like I could have created them in Word.

What is the big deal that a grown man is able to do this?

I believe, but am not sure, that they have pulled some of the age info from the "meet the family" part, possibly because everyone is getting so old. Are there 3 boys younger than the daughter, who someone said will be 18 in the next few months? 8 or 9 adults, no mates? Maybe even they decided it was weird.

Love the comments from the locals whomever sent that link.

Yes, they've definitely changed that part - the whole site, actually. They've pulled a ton of stuff, and they don't have the birthdates, or the "facts" about the family.

I'm wondering if they are becoming aware of the criticism towards them about having so many adults living at home.

I noticed too that Rick Cathy has removed the manboy's ages...(an idea Stevie?) :wink-penguin:

But why should she be ashamed if her aim is to keep them 'safe at home''?

They do read here, as I remember a while back that someone on here questioned on a thread what their SOTDRT dining room looked like. Within a few hours one of the manboys posted a picture of the dining room. Hi Cath!!1!

Also notice how the pictures of the manboys playing Lego have suddenly been replaced with them playing golf etc.

So at this softball event, do they hand out tracks? How fundie are they?

Also notice how the pictures of the manboys playing Lego have suddenly been replaced with them playing golf etc.

I wonder if they use penguin socks on their golf clubs. :wink-penguin:

I noticed too that Rick Cathy has removed the manboy's ages...(an idea Stevie?) :wink-penguin:

But why should she be ashamed if her aim is to keep them 'safe at home''?

They do read here, as I remember a while back that someone on here questioned on a thread what their SOTDRT dining room looked like. Within a few hours one of the manboys posted a picture of the dining room. Hi Cath!!1!

So at this softball event, do they hand out tracks? How fundie are they?

They've also stopped all of those birthday-party-in-mommy and daddy's bedroom-with-mommy's hand-on-son's-stomach photos that were so lovingly snarked upon. As it's one of those Arndt traditions that dates back over 30 years I'm sure they're still doing it. They just aren't sharing with us anymore.

Don't know if they use tracks. The Arndts are a little unique as fundies in that Cathy came from a very Catholic family and she and Rick were married in a Catholic church in which Cathy's father served as deacon. Cathy has several sisters who work, including one who has her own business. The older boys were sent to Catholic schools for awhile when they were middle/high school age. I don't doubt there was some tension between Cathy's family - especially her father - and Rick when Rick started moving her away from the teachings of the Church and created his own "Church o' Rick" which seems basically to consist only of Rick's nonsensical Bible ramblings and fetus-worship.

For someone who talks so much about Christ and has a huge family of semi or non-employed adults, I find it interesting that none of his family appears to do any charitable or ministry work whatsoever. You get the sense that Rick thinks he's doing enough of Lord's work by hosting softball games and his cable access TV show.

This year it will be held at the "family homestead". Any FJers living in the area should attend. ;)

Where do they live? That'd be fun. "Aw, he's rounding second base. Question is, what'cha gonna do? What's daddy gonna DO???" :cracking-up:

I live 15 minutes from the IBLP padded walls in IN. I'm tempted. I'm soooo tempted.

I noticed sweet John Hugh has been on the Topix page, taunting Wally Arndt in the last day. I wanna hang out with John Hugh in a pub full of badly dressed people and alcohol

Okay, I know this is really sophomoric humor, but I had to giggle when Father Arndt posts about "erecting a fence" and then later about "erecting a tent". There is a joke somewhere... I leave it up to you, FJers!

Okay, I know this is really sophomoric humor, but I had to giggle when Father Arndt posts about "erecting a fence" and then later about "erecting a tent". There is a joke somewhere... I leave it up to you, FJers!

Big Sandy's tent erections! :pink-shock: :lol: :pink-shock: :lol: :pink-shock:

Who is posting as Sarah Maxwell?

They're doing it in their yard, right? It's gross and dreary and rainy today. Gonna be a lotta mud. :?

Doesn't sound like John Hugh... but you never know with that scamp.

So the Arndts have their own "Field Of Dreams?"

Maybe they are hoping if they build it, they will come. Fans, other teams, maybe girlfriends...

The comments on the article were hilarious! OK, fess up....who was Sarah Maxwell?

I would love to go and check it out sometime, Belleville is about a 4 hour drive. Maybe next year.

Interesting that information has been pulled from their site. Does make me wonder if they are realizing that they are seen as a bit weird, which of course they are. I still can't believe that there's going to be 11 kids over the age of 18 in that house, with absolutely no sign of any of them escaping. Absolutely no sign whatsoever.

Edited to get my numbers straight; originally said 14 over the age of 18. Should really not post before my morning coffee though at the rate the family is going having 14 over the age of 18 is only a matter of time.

Wait, I'm missing something -- where are these comments? I see their "blog" with Papa Arndt's erections ( :lol: ) but no comments, or else I don't know how to find them.

Archived