IGNORED

Raising A Generation of Wimpy and Selfish Women

Want More Babies

Is this the one?

Because it looks adorable! :D I'd love to get that for my daughter. I'm the same way, i only keep cookbooks that really mean something.

"There is no mystery about cooking. ... it is not n art which demands a special talent. It is a skill which you can learn. All you need .... is proper education, training and good everyday common sense."

Well, that explains the need of these dominionistic nutjobs to turn cooking (and other domestic responsibilities) into some kind of arcane activity learnt only through much suffering!!!! Common sense amongst them is all too uncommon.

Coco wrote: Maybe fundie women are hung up on their obsession with the past, when it actually was a full time job being a homemaker.

Some of them do put stupid burdens on themselves like trying to make everything from scratch. (Bread, toothpaste, shampoo, laundry soap, hand soap [insert essential oils praise music here]).

But yeah, even modern farm wives who DO have big families to feed, animals to tend, huge gardens, hang clothes on the line, all that REAL WORK.... some of them still manage to hold down full time jobs too.

Modern homemaking doesn't require girls to stay home to learn. Making it more difficult than necessary is just oversheltering their girls.

So true. I was a 1970s/80s back-to-the-lander and I milked the cow, made the butter and cottage cheese, split wood, cooked on a woodstove, grew a huge garden, rendered my own lard, and on and on. At the same time I worked part-time at a newspaper, taught adjunct classes at the university, wrote a couple of books and raised our kids. My house was clean enough. The food was excellent. When I was a kid it was assumed that I would do well in school, learn homemaking skills, and participate in community life. So I did. My daughters didn't care to follow in my make-it-from-scratch footsteps, but they challenge themselves in other ways, and neither of them would consider having to choosing between fulfilling work and homemaking.

These "keeper of the home" families fulfill the adage that works expands to fill the time alloted. I figure that once they have taken away nearly all power and agency from their wives and daughters, they have to inflate the little that's left to fill the whole world. Their bodies are so powerful that any man who sees a collarbone is lust-struck. Their homemaking duties are so all-encompassing that it takes all day to mop the floor and turn on the crock pot.

A generation of wimpy and selfish women?? Sounds like fundies to me.

Regular women are not wimpy-we aren't too delicate to work hard to earn money, open our own jars, fix things and even join the army. Us worldly women can do anything we want, but fundie women are these delicate things that don't do anything other than cook, clean and care for babies.

Ain't that the truth?

How many regular women live alone or with roommates, with nary a headship in sight, and do just fine for themselves?

It's the fundie women who buy into the crap about needing to be under the protection of a father, brother or husband. Why do these grown ass women need so much protection?

Meanwhile, the rest of us are just living our lives in whatever way we please and doing just fine, thank you.

These "keeper of the home" families fulfill the adage that works expands to fill the time alloted. I figure that once they have taken away nearly all power and agency from their wives and daughters, they have to inflate the little that's left to fill the whole world. Their bodies are so powerful that any man who sees a collarbone is lust-struck. Their homemaking duties are so all-encompassing that it takes all day to mop the floor and turn on the crock pot.

Exactly right. :clap:

Despite the dire warnings we girls were taught as fundie daughters, I've discovered being busy OUTSIDE the home actually helps me get more done quickly when i'm at home. Less stagnation. :lol:

I can only cook extremely basic things (e.g. spaghetti with premade sauce, boiled or scrambled eggs, instant potato dishes, baked potatoes, garlic bread, frozen meat and potato and similar products that you put on a cooking sheet and bake and/or heat in the oven, browning ground meat in a pan). I think it's because a combo of high-IQ, Asperger's, and intellectual curiosity makes me really distracted and forgetful about cooking or doing housework because I am always off in lawlife-land. However, I like baking- just simple things like cookies from scratch, or breakfast coffee cake or something from a mix.

So I do have sympathy for those who can't cook, but if you're saying someone has great homemaking skills, then they should cook!

Also, are there any "Complete Idiot's Guide to Cooking Healthier Than a Fundie?" or similar cookbooks? I need that.

I have to get a bit Braggy here. Since I broke my dominant arm and needed surgery three weeks ago, my 12 year old has more than happily stepped into the role of head housekeeper and cook. In fact, she's more up to date on the laundry than I was (last stretch of my MSW was making the place a bit messy).

She even made donuts from scratch to cheer me up last week (and then had fun making boxes to give some to neighbor friends).

Shes 12, goes to eeebil public school and also finds time to run the neighborhood half the day with her friends.

I'd like to know where I can pick up her degree in homemaking. [sarcasm] She's obviously a prodigy [\sarcasm].

I do think fundie women are hung up on the idea that women in the past spent all of their time learning how to "keep the home", and therefore it must be necessary for the rest of us to ~keep up the tradition~. In reality, there were many different kinds of women in past generations, and many of them learned how to do different things. What they did has nothing to do with what women are capable of doing or what they do best, so I'm wondering where these people get that idea? I learned how to cook when I was like 24, and things are going pretty well. I don't think I would have been better off if I'd learned earlier, but I would be willing to listen if one of these women wanted to school me on why that's the case.

I can only cook extremely basic things (e.g. spaghetti with premade sauce, boiled or scrambled eggs, instant potato dishes, baked potatoes, garlic bread, frozen meat and potato and similar products that you put on a cooking sheet and bake and/or heat in the oven, browning ground meat in a pan). I think it's because a combo of high-IQ, Asperger's, and intellectual curiosity makes me really distracted and forgetful about cooking or doing housework because I am always off in lawlife-land. However, I like baking- just simple things like cookies from scratch, or breakfast coffee cake or something from a mix.

So I do have sympathy for those who can't cook, but if you're saying someone has great homemaking skills, then they should cook!

Also, are there any "Complete Idiot's Guide to Cooking Healthier Than a Fundie?" or similar cookbooks? I need that.

You don't need a guide when you have google! All you have to do is google "Easy, healthy meals" and the internet will school you. That's how I learned to cook, and I've made some delicious casseroles that don't involve pre-made cans of soup. You don't need a degree, just a modicum of willingness to experiment and you can learn a bevy of meals in like a week. Nowhere near as difficult as law school, no matter what fundies try to tell you.

Cooking is easy. My staples include a couple of bags of frozen chicken breasts and a couple of bags of frozen tilapia fillets, pasta salad, rice, rice a roni, frozen veggies.

Here's one easy peasy recipe....get a couple of chicken breasts and throw them in the crockpot with either bbq sauce or salsa. let them do their thing all day. Make a pot of rice (2 cups water to 1 cup rice, bring to a boil, let boil for 5 minutes, cover and turn the heat off. perfect rice in 20 minutes). Now...you can also get some sour cream, shredded cheese and whatever else and roll it all up in a big tortilla or serve the chicken over rice.

One dubbed "rice mess" by my kids....pot of rice, add chicken bullion to the water for flavor. While the rice is boiling, toss in some frozen veggies (I prefer corn and peas). While the rice is cooking, cut up the chicken breasts, sauté in a little oil, season with Old Bay. When the chicken and rice is done, toss the chicken in with the rice/veggie mixture. Take 20-30 minutes.

Tilapia: little bit of lemon juice, sprinkle w/Old Bay. Put in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Serve with some side dish.

Tonight's dinner was chicken breasts, cut up and sautéed, Ranch-Bacon Pasta salad w/added veggies. Prepare pasta salad according to package directions, adding a couple of handfuls of frozen veggies. When finished, toss chicken in with salad.

Gee...nobody taught me to "cook"...yet I can toss together dinner in about 30 minutes every night.

I did look up some easy recipes, and I think I'm going to start with macaroni and cheese and a garlic chicken dish (about 5 ingredients each). Of course cooking also requires that I am not shooed out of the kitchen; there is such a skill gap between my wife and I that she sometimes says I'll burn the house down so let her do it. :lol:

Tis funny, worked this morning. Ran to the grocery store on the way home. gonna make up a big batch of 'sunday gravy'. Make large batches, and freeze most of it to use over several weeks. Will also be doing some laundry and housework. Get some reading in, watch my tv shows. Go for a nice walk, and still have a home made meal on the table when hubby gets home. Damn, I forgot pasta, am out in the pantry. Have to run to the store again. Oh well.

Cooking and housework aren't hard, it's not rocket science folks. It does not require years of study (unless you're becoming a gourmet professional level chef)

The flip side of this: During a period of time in my first marriage, right after I'd gotten my MA, my husband was employed fulltime and I wasn't. He regularly moaned about the difficulty and stress of his job, staggered home "exhausted," and spent his evenings and weekends doing nothing but reading and watching TV. (He worked at his father's small mechanical drafting firm, and his father was about the sweetest, kindest man I've ever known.) At one point, he got laid off when work was slow, so I panicked and went out and got some temp office work. I was about halfway through my pregnancy at the time. I found myself working 8-hour days, going for doctor's appointments, running errands, and coming home to cook dinner, and it suddenly hit me: DOING ALL THIS ON TOP OF A FULLTIME JOB IS NOT ALL THAT HARD. Things were rough in my marriage then--I had recognized the fact that he was an alcoholic--so it caused me to sit back and think, "This is my dress rehearsal in case I have to be a single mother." In a year or so, I was. And I still cooked from scratch--for many years, while holding two jobs.

Suck it, Lori.

Who advocates complete dependence on a headship by submitting? Who calls her SIL when she panicks because of a fire? Who needs a nanny? Who limits child rearing to corporal discipline in order not to be bothered by children demanding any attention? Who didn't play with ther children for the same reaon? Who sabotaged her anticonception just to stay home and never has to work outside the home again??

Who is the wimpy selfish woman?

Lori!!!!!!

Who advocates complete dependence on a headship by submitting? Who calls her SIL when she panicks because of a fire? Who needs a nanny? Who limits child rearing to corporal discipline in order not to be bothered by children demanding any attention? Who didn't play with ther children for the same reaon? Who sabotaged her anticonception just to stay home and never has to work outside the home again??

Who is the wimpy selfish woman?

Lori!!!!!!

Word on the street is that she's a monster, too.

Not to mention the clip where the Duggar kids are doing supper and a show for their parents and Jessa and Jinger are kind of clueless about making a steak supper with real side dishes instead of a dump and heat casserole.

OMG - making steaks is one of the easiest things in the world, if you know how. I would cook steak more often if it didn't cost too much for my budget. Here's how I do it: I buy two steaks. About 15-20 minutes before I'm ready to cook them, I take them out of the fridge, and let them come to room temperature. In the meantime, I heat up my cast iron skillet to sizzling hot. I salt and pepper both sides of the steak. I take a pat of butter for each steak and toss it into my hot pan, place the steaks on them, and let them sizzle away. Times vary - son likes steak rare, so 3 minutes per side. I like them medium well, so mine stays in longer. Let them set for 4-5 minutes after removal from the pan, then slice and enjoy.

Baked potatoes - super easy.

Steamed broccoli/carrots/green beans - couldn't be easier

Sauteed zucchini, yellow squash, etc - quick and easy

A green salad, with tomato, grated carrot, bits of chopped red peppers, croutons and topped with fresh avocado - oh my gosh, easy and delicious.

The only hard part about steaks is if you are cooking for a large group, then obviously you'd want the ability to cook a larger number of steaks at the same time.

I wasn't raised fundy, but I did have 7 siblings. We were considered a large family. By the time I was in 7th grade, I shared a week night with another sibling wherein we were responsible for cooking dinner. It could be hamburgers, mac n cheese, spaghetti, tacos, or anything else we thought of. As I got older, I liked to experiment with new recipes and that was encouraged by my parents. Maybe it's because the Duggar girls have so many other chores, that they don't seem to have any interest in expanding their cooking repetoire beyond TTC or BBQ tuna, or any number of dump and cook recipes. Sad.

Exactly lol that's what makes it so frustrating. These are things their mom or dad could teach the oldest kids and get it passed down to the younger kids just by hanging around and watching.

Lazy, lazy parenting.

Just like with the buddy system -- assigning care of one little sibling through the years to the same older sibs, JB and Michelle not caring enough to recognize the trauma that creates when the older sib leaves. They must have pawned off cooking jobs on just a few kids and Jessa squeaked by with almost no knowledge.

Cooking is easy. My staples include a couple of bags of frozen chicken breasts and a couple of bags of frozen tilapia fillets, pasta salad, rice, rice a roni, frozen veggies.

Here's one easy peasy recipe....get a couple of chicken breasts and throw them in the crockpot with either bbq sauce or salsa. let them do their thing all day. Make a pot of rice (2 cups water to 1 cup rice, bring to a boil, let boil for 5 minutes, cover and turn the heat off. perfect rice in 20 minutes). Now...you can also get some sour cream, shredded cheese and whatever else and roll it all up in a big tortilla or serve the chicken over rice.

One dubbed "rice mess" by my kids....pot of rice, add chicken bullion to the water for flavor. While the rice is boiling, toss in some frozen veggies (I prefer corn and peas). While the rice is cooking, cut up the chicken breasts, sauté in a little oil, season with Old Bay. When the chicken and rice is done, toss the chicken in with the rice/veggie mixture. Take 20-30 minutes.

Tilapia: little bit of lemon juice, sprinkle w/Old Bay. Put in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Serve with some side dish.

Tonight's dinner was chicken breasts, cut up and sautéed, Ranch-Bacon Pasta salad w/added veggies. Prepare pasta salad according to package directions, adding a couple of handfuls of frozen veggies. When finished, toss chicken in with salad.

Gee...nobody taught me to "cook"...yet I can toss together dinner in about 30 minutes every night.

I do something similar in the crockpot when I'm feeling like something easy. Chicken breasts, a jar of salsa, a can of black beans and a can of corn. I serve it over rice and throw a little chopped cilantro on it if I have some on hand. The kids like to top it with with shredded cheese or sour cream, but it doesn't really need it.

Archived