IGNORED

Raising A Generation of Wimpy and Selfish Women

Want More Babies

Kathy Brodock, Kelly, two chicken breast, Crawford's BFF has a post that is making my FB rounds. I want to :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

teachinggoodthings.com/blog/raising-a-generation-of-wimpy-and-selfish-women/

Of course she links to other posts in her blog post where you can buy her items so you won't be a wimpy or selfish woman.

We set up our homes having no clue how to do anything beyond opening a can of mush.

REALLY?! I think most anyone can do more. It doesn't take 20+ years of staying under mamma's thumb to learn how to keep a home. Before my husband and I were married, he lived on his own. Amazing that he was able to cook, clean, do laundry, etc. all without having spent years and years doing it.

I did not have a lot of chores growing up, though I did help out here and there. Amazing that I am able to run my own home.

I am just in a bad mood today and am glad you all are here to help me vent.

It never ceases to amaze me that the same women pushing the "Keepers of the Home" schtick are (based on their blogs) some of the worst cooks I've ever seen.

Yeah, funny that for a group that says they train women to be "keepers of the home", how many actually don't know shit when they finally attain that same goal they have been raised for all their lives.

Yeah, funny that for a group that says they train women to be "keepers of the home", how many actually don't know shit when they finally attain that same goal they have been raised for all their lives.

THIS!

So have you guys seen the clip if the Duggar girls where Jessa makes food for Ben with his sisters at his house?

They laughed about how she'd never made an apple pie from scratch! WHAT are those girls doing all day? Michelle doesn't like to cook, ok fine, but that's a lame excuse for not teaching all of your kids a basic grasp and APPLE PIE is baking 101. (also four girls used an apple peeler for one pie. Jeez, each girl should've used her paring knife skills on two damn apples) :angry-banghead:

Not to mention the clip where the Duggar kids are doing supper and a show for their parents and Jessa and Jinger are kind of clueless about making a steak supper with real side dishes instead of a dump and heat casserole.

...just, really.

By the time my sisters and i married we sure weren't experts but we could truss and roast chickens, make whipped meringue, bake bread, etc etc. It's not rocket science. Which is another fact - keeping girls home on the premise that they need to spend years learning to cook and clean is just dumb. Basic cooking and cleaning is a one week crash course and done. :lol: If you can read you can teach yourself to cook and clean.

(eta this book is awesome, for making housework an actual deep study; things like how to clean wood floors, care for furniture, etc.)

51B1YJR9Y8L.jpg

amazon.com/Home-Comforts-Science-Keeping-House/dp/0743272862

Last Saturday while I was working (I work from home), my 11 year old made herself a plate of French toast for breakfast. I never taught her, she learned by watching me do it dozens of times. It was completely edible and she didn't burn the joint down. Where can she pick up he PhD in homemaking?

I am not the best cook.. I cook..it is good... i experiment..I haven't killed anyone and my husband says I can continue..lol My husband bakes, his mom taught him and he makes cheesecake to die for. My brother is a great cook . My mom taught him to cook to get him out of everyone's hair...aka leave your sisters alone.

I was taught to cook by 10 years old. Once I got the basics, it didn't take long before I was making stuff on my own. I came from a family of good cooks on both sides and when I married, my MIL was just shocked, shocked that I could just go in the kitchen and whip up something. Ok it's bragging time. My MIL and SIL were convinced because I was a working woman (vs. both of them being at home) that I wouldn't know anything about cooking (or any household skill for that matter) yet neither could hold up a candle to me. Still cant. :nenner:

I was a terrible cook when I got married (and I was homeschooled and had a religious upbringing to boot). My husband, however, was (and still is) amazing in the kitchen. I learned very quickly how to cook and within a year after getting married could make pretty much anything from scratch. I do not understand why a girl/woman needs to spend her entire youth and childhood getting an education in household management. While I couldn't cook when I got married - I could clean my Dutch grandmother under a counter. And I learned how to cook, and ran a house, while working.

Why do these women think they are such special snowflakes and what on earth makes them think they are goddesses of house and hearth? Seriously!

I'm pretty sure my mother prepared me better for cooking at university at 18 than many of these SAHMs prepare their SAHD for cooking in marriage and that was just the basics. Seriously, what eff do they do all day?

I can never keep up with which fundies prepare meals with 1 chicken breast, and which ones prepare meals with 2 chicken breasts.

Growing up in foster care, I've never have specifically cooking lessons, and I'm currently a good cook. Seriously, these womans seems to be terrible cooker. i just want to take them at my house, make them learn how to choose fresh, local and seasonal products, learn to cook and learn how to choose a good wine/Soft drink to go with the food. It is not difficult.

Does this woman never get on pinterest? If anything, being into the home arts is huge right now. So many friends of mine are doing things such as canning, needlework, knitting etc. I feel like the Millenial women are embracing traditional feminine arts as well as kicking ass in the first place. Those things are not mutually exclusive. At any rate, the author created a straw woman modern woman and it only shows how out of touch she is with what is happening in popular culture right now.

I'll be the first to admit I have not a crafty bone in my body. I'm a no-talent ass clown in that arena, and I have little interest in furthering those skills. I didn't really learn to cook until I was married, but I have to say with a little bit of youtube education I've become a decent cook. I can't cook like a Cordon Bleu chef, but I think I can certainly put together a better meal than Chickenetti.

I couldn't help myself I wrote a reply to her blog post:

Hello!

I'm asking in all seriousness as I just want to start a dialogue about balancing work/home. As I was reading through your blog post, I was wondering who and where are all the women complaining about how hard it is? I live in an urban area, and my female friends with children are often working mothers. Their spouses are engaged in childcare and housework as well - and even one of the men in my friend group is a stay at home dad. At any rate I've never heard them whine and complain about raising their children and balancing their careers. They will admit that balancing is very hard - but it is also very rewarding.

I also can't think of a single person amongst my female friends and work colleagues that prepare "mush" for dinner and cannot take care of their home. Some do hire outside help, the vast majority participate and enjoy home arts. If you are on pinterest, the amount of Millenial women embracing canning, sewing, embroidery, knitting, cooking from scratch etc is staggering.

I'm curious as to your thoughts and how you came to the conclusions you came to in your blog post, because even in a very liberal, middle to upper middle class area I'm just not seeing wimpy, whiny women at all.

I never cooked a thing or did even one load of laundry until I left for college. My mom said doing those things herself rather than trying to find time for 5 kids to each do their own laundry (not to mention the expense that would create) or cook their own meals was much easier. Still, I managed to wear clean clothes and not starve to death when I left home. It took my mom exactly one hour to teach me how to do laundry and any idiot who can read can cook. Just do what the recipe tells you to do. It's not that hard and definitely not something that takes years to learn. Fundies are ridiculous sometimes.

I do all the grocery shopping, all the cooking, clean the bathrooms, occasionally mow the lawn (even while pregnant), give my son all his baths, do his entire bedtime routine, and potty trained the kid all while working 10 to 12 hour days. I'm sure there are a lot of women out there that do just as much or more. The only wimpy, lazy women I know are these fundie blogging women who seem to be to fragile to pick up a screw driver.

My 10 yo son can whip up banana bread, pancakes, blueberry muffins and a few other things (from scratch, not a mix). If a kid can do it, of course an adult woman can do it if she wants to. Cooking requires the ability to read and follow a recipe. Most people can manage that. Heck, my kid can even double a recipe (he likes breakfast: What can I say?). Come to think of it, he also crochets. Guess who taught him this stuff? Yep, me.

I've involved my kids in taking care of the house right from the start Firstly, because I work and don't have the time or inclination to pick up after everyone else but secondly, because I am raising them to be competent adults, not whiny bloggers.

Who was the fundie who said she spent 10 years learning how to be a homemaker? And she didn't appear to do anything more than I do.

I grew up in a very neglectful home with a hoarder for a mother, so let's just say my homemaking skills were lacking when I moved out on my own. I would guess it took me about a week to figure it out. I am currently one of the best cooks I know, and my home is always in good order. Oh, and I work full time and have 4 kids.

Seriously, fundie women. It's not that hard. My teen-to-adult sons all do laundry, are fantastic cooks, and are excellent with child care. If it's so difficult for you, maybe your husbands could pitch in! :whistle:

I admit, I don't know how to clean the house, other than the frantic chuck it in the closet method, but I also spent my SAHD years not staying at home, and I was raised by hoarders, so that's my excuse. I married a man who likes to clean, and he does the cleaning, while I'm out earning the big bucks.

Quiver in fear fundies.

Though I may get that book.

Last Saturday while I was working (I work from home), my 11 year old made herself a plate of French toast for breakfast. I never taught her, she learned by watching me do it dozens of times. It was completely edible and she didn't burn the joint down. Where can she pick up he PhD in homemaking?

Exactly learning by osmosis, that's how I learned to cook, my sons and my sisters, their children and grandchildren.

Maybe fundie women are hung up on their obsession with the past, when it actually was a full time job being a homemaker.

Some of them do put stupid burdens on themselves like trying to make everything from scratch. (Bread, toothpaste, shampoo, laundry soap, hand soap [insert essential oils praise music here]).

But yeah, even modern farm wives who DO have big families to feed, animals to tend, huge gardens, hang clothes on the line, all that REAL WORK.... some of them still manage to hold down full time jobs too.

Modern homemaking doesn't require girls to stay home to learn. Making it more difficult than necessary is just oversheltering their girls.

I never cooked a thing or did even one load of laundry until I left for college. .

So you are the ones i keep finding in the laundry room confused and I had to actually show how to use the machines. :D

There is nothing wrong with knowing how to make something from scratch, however if it is not practical to make something from scratch (except for special occasions) then don't.

A generation of wimpy and selfish women?? Sounds like fundies to me.

Regular women are not wimpy-we aren't too delicate to work hard to earn money, open our own jars, fix things and even join the army. Us worldly women can do anything we want, but fundie women are these delicate things that don't do anything other than cook, clean and care for babies.

Also fundies are more selfish, treating God like a prayer vending machine. People die in wars, starve to death as they live in poverty, are homeless, in abusive relationships, die of various fatal diseases, lose their home due to natural disasters.......and yet they pray for God's guidance when they aren't sure what to have for dinner or pray for material good like a horse that they will then neglect.

Also, as much as I like large families, it is selfish to continue having children if you cannot afford to give them decent portions of nutritious meals, space for them to live in instead of cramming nine of them into one bedroom on shelving, clothes that are in decent condition and toys to play with (they don't even have to be new or expensive).

THIS!

So have you guys seen the clip if the Duggar girls where Jessa makes food for Ben with his sisters at his house?

They laughed about how she'd never made an apple pie from scratch! WHAT are those girls doing all day? Michelle doesn't like to cook, ok fine, but that's a lame excuse for not teaching all of your kids a basic grasp and APPLE PIE is baking 101. (also four girls used an apple peeler for one pie. Jeez, each girl should've used her paring knife skills on two damn apples) :angry-banghead:

Not to mention the clip where the Duggar kids are doing supper and a show for their parents and Jessa and Jinger are kind of clueless about making a steak supper with real side dishes instead of a dump and heat casserole.

...just, really.

By the time my sisters and i married we sure weren't experts but we could truss and roast chickens, make whipped meringue, bake bread, etc etc. It's not rocket science. Which is another fact - keeping girls home on the premise that they need to spend years learning to cook and clean is just dumb. Basic cooking and cleaning is a one week crash course and done. :lol: If you can read you can teach yourself to cook and clean.

(eta this book is awesome, for making housework an actual deep study; things like how to clean wood floors, care for furniture, etc.)

51B1YJR9Y8L.jpg

amazon.com/Home-Comforts-Science-Keeping-House/dp/0743272862

I am on the decluttering tear of my LIFE, and I'm keeping exactly two cookbooks. One is a ladies' club effort that has the only recipes of mine worth re-doing. The other is a tome my paternal grandpa bought for my mom, whose own mother had been too busy trying to keep 8 or 9 mouths fed to take the time to delicately school her daughters in the fine art of chopping up a chicken and roasting it.

The book Grandpa gave BMJB? "You Can Cook If You Can Read." Big Mama fed us for decades on its instructions. When I asked BDJB if I could/should take home ec (as it was called when Triceratops ruled around here) he said, "Absolutely not. Watch your mother. Take an elective that you can't learn at home."

Kelly and her running dogs simply want to keep their girlchirruns dependent and unskilled, thus the insane emphasis on things as easy as cooking, cleaning and laundry.

I am on the decluttering tear of my LIFE, and I'm keeping exactly two cookbooks. One is a ladies' club effort that has the only recipes of mine worth re-doing. The other is a tome my paternal grandpa bought for my mom, whose own mother had been too busy trying to keep 8 or 9 mouths fed to take the time to delicately school her daughters in the fine art of chopping up a chicken and roasting it.

The book Grandpa gave BMJB? "You Can Cook If You Can Read." Big Mama fed us for decades on its instructions. When I asked BDJB if I could/should take home ec (as it was called when Triceratops ruled around here) he said, "Absolutely not. Watch your mother. Take an elective that you can't learn at home."

Kelly and her running dogs simply want to keep their girlchirruns dependent and unskilled, thus the insane emphasis on things as easy as cooking, cleaning and laundry.

Is this the one?

Because it looks adorable! :D I'd love to get that for my daughter. I'm the same way, i only keep cookbooks that really mean something.

post-10046-14451999117414_thumb.jpg

Archived