IGNORED

Josiah and the Arm Twist

roddma

He's one of the oldest, and thus one of the ones that was sheltered for the longest and also grew up back when they seemed even stricter than they do now (and was probably actually raised by his parents, not his siblings), so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. I fear the same is true for Jana, but at the same time, the girls seem less sheltered than the boys, in a way, because they're trusted to a slightly greater degree, plus she obviously doesn't benefit from the lifestyle as much as JD would, so she might be more inclined to… question things. Hopefully. Probably not, though :(

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe seeing what Josh went through ensured JD toed the family line and he OD'd on the Kool Aid to escape the same fate

Maybe TLC was filming and convinced job that JD should be there. Or the parents just forgot about him when he came of age. It's funny because I'd guess JD would be most interested in militia training. He was pictured with assault rifles iirc.

Wait, doesn't alert require a picture in the application form? JD was the least good looking boy at 17, maybe he didn't make the cut ;)

I'm pretty sure our Military bootcamps are more humane then this piece of garbage torture camp. I feel that if there's so many of these boys that need an "attitude adjustment" that they can sign up for the US Military and actually be useful and productive members of society. If staring down the barrel of the enemies gun doesn't strike the fear of God in you then nothing will. But then again the U.S Military promotes actual learning and real college educations..definitely not Gothard approved. Speaking of which does anybody know Gothard's views on Military service amongst his kool-aid inhalers?

JD also may have gone to Alert, but done it at 16 ish before the series was a regular thing, or between seasons. I'm pretty sure they aren't all just tucked away in a shoe box when they aren't on camera

Maybe seeing what Josh went through ensured JD toed the family line and he OD'd on the Kool Aid to escape the same fate

What did Josh go through? (Duggar newbie here)

I'm pretty sure our Military bootcamps are more humane then this piece of garbage torture camp. I feel that if there's so many of these boys that need an "attitude adjustment" that they can sign up for the US Military and actually be useful and productive members of society. If staring down the barrel of the enemies gun doesn't strike the fear of God in you then nothing will. But then again the U.S Military promotes actual learning and real college educations..definitely not Gothard approved. Speaking of which does anybody know Gothard's views on Military service amongst his kool-aid inhalers?

Not to mention, the real military is run by the government. And the Government is full of corrupt people who watch you while your sleep and kill all your babies. You can't let your god fearing boys run off and join the real military. They might come back as hippies!

No one ever saw am arm twist. No one ever saw an original clip of the event either because TLC edited it before it was aired.

The announcement of the Jubilee pregnancy appears to have been a fairly rare non-staged event. The older daughters may have known Michelle was pregnant, but the other kids were surprised.

TLC did an odd thing with the footage. As soon as Michelle made the announcement they went to still photos of the kids' reactions. Reviewing the stills and the audio, it seems obvious they did so because Josiah, after an initial weak smile, very quickly left the scene, going behind the cameras. Even in the stills, you can see the concern on his siblings' faces and you can hear some call out to him when they go back to the filmed footage. By going to screen shots, TLC made the event much less obvious. You have to watch the still shots closely to realize he's suddenly gone as you don't see him leave.

Josiah is brought back to the fold eventually, standing near Jim Bob, rubbing or holding his arm and looking upset.

Was his arm twisted? Probably not literally. I don't think Boob is dumb enough to physical hurt a kid with cameras around (oh, wait didn't he slam the very same Josiah to the ground while they were filming a paint ball game?) but I don't doubt he was pissed off enough to verbally command or even yank him back. The last thing he and TLC probably wanted to do was re-stage the event with all those kids.

So no one knows what happened between Boob and Josiah. But we do know that Josiah did not want to be on camera as soon as he processed the information that his mother was having yet another baby. And in TLC Duggarworld, this is probably the most rebellious act we're ever likely to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed that you cant view the announcement on YouTube anymore? There is part 1/3, 2/3.. and yet 3/3 has an "error" from both sources. For some reason pisses me off beyond belief.

These are the two screencaps I had from that event (the circles were for a friend I was showing the pictures to, in order to reveal the aspects of the scene that I found upsetting. Josiah's facial expression and the way Jim Bob is holding him there in front of the cameras when it's clear he'd rather be anywhere else)

josiah5.png

josiah6.png

I also think it looks like Josiah is holding a tissue in that scene, but it's hard to tell because the video quality I watched it on wasn't great.

it could be that he sneezed so hard that snot came out of his nose and he didn't want that on camera. Ive had that happen, a sudden sneeze attack came on and I was sneezing a giant trail of snot out of my nose, it is embarrassing and can get messy if not attend to fast. Hence the possible tissue in his hand. You know sense the supposed arm twist has been edited out.

These are the two screencaps I had from that event (the circles were for a friend I was showing the pictures to, in order to reveal the aspects of the scene that I found upsetting. Josiah's facial expression and the way Jim Bob is holding him there in front of the cameras when it's clear he'd rather be anywhere else)

josiah5.png

josiah6.png

Anna has her "keep sweet" pursed lips "don't say anything or show any emotion" face on. Looks like she is stifling some sort of emotion (outrage at another J'uterus pregnancy, outrage at Josiah getting treated like that, or embarrassment for the whole family).

My interpretation of Anna there was maybe less generous, lol I got the feeling her disapproval was directed at Josiah. Like, "this is a great thing and you can't even be bothered to smile for the cameras?" I do think she's holding something back there, though, so it might be as you say. I'm sure she's witnessed this kind of stuff with her own siblings (and probably more outright 'discipline') before, and maybe seeing it with the Duggars brought back unpleasant memories or feelings related to that.

I never noticed Anna and her reaction in this clip before. I'm not normally one to read too much into someone's facial expressions in a picture (speaking as one who always looks mad when my thoughts are just wandering), but she really looks like she's displeased. I hope she wasn't tut-tutting at Josiah. Her displeasure really should be targeted toward Jim Bob for bringing Josiah back when he was upset.

When I first re-watched that scene on Netflix Anna gives me more of a keep sweet vibe. This is her in-laws home, cameras are rolling, Jeezus says so etc. It appears in the screenshots posted that she looks uncomfortable after witnessing something she's not sure how to process. Josiah looks shell-shocked.

I think Josiah looks sick in those pics. As for Anna's expression, I'm not reading much into that since the pictures are kind of blurry.

I think Josiah looks sick in those pics. As for Anna's expression, I'm not reading much into that since the pictures are kind of blurry.

I've heard someone mention Josiah "might" have been ill during the taping of this episode. But...I still keep wondering if JB would have made an issue of him coming back if he were sick. Can someone get a caption of Jessa and Grandma's facial expressions? Those were the ones I remember NOT being pleasant. I'm not wanting anything to be wrong but Josiah was NOT in the mood to fake happiness.

josiah5.png

josiah6.png

Do you really read all of that into that photo? Really? I'm sorry, but that seems like a huge dramatic leap to take. It's a kid, who looks like he maybe, possibly, isn't feeling very well ( he just looks a little tired to me- or maybe the make- up guy didn't even him out) and his dad has hand on his shoulder. That's it. Maybe cause he was upset and he wanted to reassure him. Maybe cause he was the kid standing closest to him.

Nah, it's not a leap. Prior to this, we see Josiah walking around with his siblings, smiling and talking. After it's announced that his mother is pregnant, he vanished from the photos and then we see this. It's fine for you to think he just looks unwell, but I don't think it's a dramatic leap to say that he was unhappy in that moment and didn't want to be on camera (which is why he left the photos in the first place). Clearly Jim Bob wanted to discuss it with him, and maybe it was accidental because the cameras wanted input from JB, but his dad pulled him back into the middle of things (probably to address his abrupt departure from the family pictures). I don't think he just happened to be close to JB because he left the family photo while JB stayed. I also don't think that, if Josiah were sick and had left because it was an emergency, that JB would bring him back into the crowd. That's a little too overtly cruel for the Duggars.

I don't think there's any reason to believe that he was hurt or his arm was twisted by JB. But I think it's a non-leap to look at that kid's face and think he looks unhappy and upset.

I think he looks upset but I also don't buy into the whole arm twist idea. People naturally cross their arms in front of their chest when they're feeling defensive or threatened, I have a tendency to rub my face a lot. We don't really know what happened and this story just won't quit growing.

Maybe he was upset and maybe he was sick. The tissue would back up either scenario. The crazy speculation over this is getting pretty old though.

Archived