IGNORED

Arrested for being "Happy" in Tehran

2xx1xy1JD

I just finished reading Persepolis. Afterwards I kept googling to see if the fundy Muslims were in charge. Looks like this is my answer.

Great video! I was surprised to see the women without hijab. I'm happy the dancers were released. Is the director still in custody?

This story is basically modern Iran in a nutshell.

They had their revolution in 1979. Most of the population was born after that - the biggest population bulges are in the 15-30 year old range. So, most people don't remember the old Shah. They grew up under a revolution that quickly turned sour, and a regime that was both brutal and corrupt.

As a result, you've got this mass of youth, particularly in Tehran, that pretty much hates the regime and has very little respect for its rules. They are influenced by Western pop culture, many have deep pride in Persian culture, but they can't stand the control of the regime. So, you've got these little acts of defiance, and you also have some youth who know that they can get into trouble but are more willing to take risks.

http://www.upenn.edu/pennpress/book/14381.html

It's very different from what's going on in many other Islamic countries, where corrupt governments are often less religious than the population, and where youth sometimes embrace Islamic fundamentalism because they see it as being less corrupt and a better alternative to the government.

Archived