IGNORED

One of th 7fgsisters went to Guatemala and brought her germs

Anny Nym

...along. She also took some random pictures and told no story whatsoever about what she was ACTUALLY DOING there. But we get some ridiculous kitsch about the ebil *sigh* Guerrillas instead. Charming!

I always thought of the seven quirky girls and their family as rather sympathic, in comparison to most other fundies.

Now, that drastically changed.

sevenfarmgirlsisters.com/

Um, it's not omelet of ham, it means ham omelet. De doesn't always mean of in Spanish, but also doesn't need to be so literal when it does mean of. Like fin de semana means weekend, which can be interpreted as end of the week, but is meant to mean the weekend. Anyway, basically an omelet with ham in it, not unlike what you would find in a diner here. Guess I just don't get the humor. :?

Guess I just don't get the humor. :?

It may be called JimBob "mocktheheathens" Duggar - style.

She went to Guatemala with NO immunizations what so ever, great, wonderful! Jeez, I went to work for Appalachian Service Project in West Virginia many years ago and had to prove my immunizations, especially tetanus was up to date!!

She won't get measles, rubella or polio in Guatemala because a lot of people have worked very hard to vaccinate over 90% of children in that country, thus providing the herd immunity that is protecting her. Fucking fundie hypocrites.

She can still get hepatitis A or typhoid, though. Hope all that food was well cooked.

I wonder what she'd do if she had been bitten by a stray dog while there. There's a lot of rabies in Guatemala and of course, without the vaccine, it's 100% fatal.

At least the yellow fever endemic countries are safe from visits from the sisters. They're probably thanking god for yellow fever right now.

Um, it's not omelet of ham, it means ham omelet. De doesn't always mean of in Spanish, but also doesn't need to be so literal when it does mean of. Like fin de semana means weekend, which can be interpreted as end of the week, but is meant to mean the weekend. Anyway, basically an omelet with ham in it, not unlike what you would find in a diner here. Guess I just don't get the humor. :?

Oh, I got the humor alright. Just not in the same way she did. :lol:

She won't get measles, rubella or polio in Guatemala because a lot of people have worked very hard to vaccinate over 90% of children in that country, thus providing the herd immunity that is protecting her. Fucking fundie hypocrites.

She can still get hepatitis A or typhoid, though. Hope all that food was well cooked.

I wonder what she'd do if she had been bitten by a stray dog while there. There's a lot of rabies in Guatemala and of course, without the vaccine, it's 100% fatal.

At least the yellow fever endemic countries are safe from visits from the sisters. They're probably thanking god for yellow fever right now.

My friend is Guatemalan and she got Dengue Fever when she visited and her daughter got a serious case of hep A

My sister got Hep A in Guatemala. The custodian at her school was refilling the water bottles with tap water :shock:

Seriously, I question the safety of allowing someone to travel independently and internationally who continues to refer to her parents as Mommy and Daddy.

She liked the fried food and not the fresh papaya. Also "smeld"? Mommy and Daddy? Is this a grown woman or a 6 year old?

Seriously, I question the safety of allowing someone to travel independently and internationally who continues to refer to her parents as Mommy and Daddy.

My thoughts exactly! How old is this girl?

So...she posted photos of a cute baby, some tortillas, and a fancy latte, but she said nothing about the "orphanage" or the "work" she was supposedly doing there. I suspect (in my dirty, heathen mind) that this was really more of a vacation than a missions trip. :nenner:

when I first read the title , I though some fundie gave a village a disease.

So Mommy and Daddy's requirements for her going on a mission trip were:

They wanted it to be for a month, with a family, and no shots.

:roll:

I had all my shots + extra boosters of polio and mmr (even though i was up to date) before I left for India several years ago. Even that didn't protect me from Dengue fever. I thought I was going to die for about a week. I cannot imagine going unvaccinated to a country where anything is possible and certain things could kill you.

It sounds more like the "tourist" version of a missionary trip. It makes the girl feel good like she is doing something useful and makes the family look good because their child is ministering to the "poor orphans." The money they spent on that trip would have been more useful in the hands of locals who had skills and were in the trenches every day.

I had all of my shots to go to India too....and still managed to pick up Giradia from my lovely child, despite the fact that the orphanage treated the kids for worms and parasites routinely every six months. Before I had kids, I traveled international a lot (primarily did work with Hiefer Project in Latin America) and you can bet your sweet cheeks I was getting Hepatitis vaccines as soon as those suckers were available. I also happily got typhoid pills instead of shots once that was an option versus the sick as a dog for three days I got everytime I got the shot--which still beats my grandmother who nearly died of typhoid in Indonesia in spite of having all of the access to Western healthcare that a Diplomat's wife could have back before the vaccine existed.

I had all my shots + extra boosters of polio and mmr (even though i was up to date) before I left for India several years ago. Even that didn't protect me from Dengue fever. I thought I was going to die for about a week.

Most people will be surprised to know (as did I) that dengue fever was epidemic in various places in the southern US (Austin, Galveston, Charleston S.C., Miami, Monroe, Louisiana) from the early 1800s until mosquito eradication efforts in WWII stopped the chain of transmission.

As a resident of Austin, TX, I was stunned to read the opening paragraph of this article:

Dengue, aka “Breakbone Fever,†Is Back: The vicious virus has re-established itself in the South, and mosquitoes are carrying it north.

In the autumn of 1885, people in Austin, Texas, began to feel sick. One after another, they developed a chill and then a soaring fever. They vomited and broke out in rashes. Their most distinctive symptom was agonizing pain behind their eyes and in the bones of their arms and legs. And when the fever subsided, lack of appetite and deep exhaustion left them unable to work for weeks or months.

Austin had been founded only 46 years before, and it was still small, with just 22,000 people. By the time the epidemic was over, 16,000 of them had fallen ill.

Dengue has recently appeared in Brownsville, TX and is surely lurking along other areas of the Texas/Mexico border. It has also shown up in Key West and a few other places in Florida. There is no vaccine for Dengue Fever.

So...she posted photos of a cute baby, some tortillas, and a fancy latte, but she said nothing about the "orphanage" or the "work" she was supposedly doing there. I suspect (in my dirty, heathen mind) that this was really more of a vacation than a missions trip. :nenner:

I also wonder how hold she is. Is she a little kid, or an adult?

And yeah, where is anything about the missionary work? Or is her idea of being a missionary to just go and inspire the heathens with her sparkly Christian whiteness?

Most people will be surprised to know (as did I) that dengue fever was epidemic in various places in the southern US (Austin, Galveston, Charleston S.C., Miami, Monroe, Louisiana) from the early 1800s until mosquito eradication efforts in WWII stopped the chain of transmission.

As a resident of Austin, TX, I was stunned to read the opening paragraph of this article:

Dengue, aka “Breakbone Fever,†Is Back: The vicious virus has re-established itself in the South, and mosquitoes are carrying it north.

In the autumn of 1885, people in Austin, Texas, began to feel sick. One after another, they developed a chill and then a soaring fever. They vomited and broke out in rashes. Their most distinctive symptom was agonizing pain behind their eyes and in the bones of their arms and legs. And when the fever subsided, lack of appetite and deep exhaustion left them unable to work for weeks or months.

Austin had been founded only 46 years before, and it was still small, with just 22,000 people. By the time the epidemic was over, 16,000 of them had fallen ill.

Dengue has recently appeared in Brownsville, TX and is surely lurking along other areas of the Texas/Mexico border. It has also shown up in Key West and a few other places in Florida. There is no vaccine for Dengue Fever.

Oh lovely. Now we have that to look forward to soon, along with our usual fun West Nile virus threat? (Dallasite, and visit Austin a lot)

Oh lovely. Now we have that to look forward to soon, along with our usual fun West Nile virus threat? (Dallasite, and visit Austin a lot)

A friend that lives a mile or so away from me had West Nile in Fall 2012; fortunately it wasn't too bad and he recovered completely, but I'm super aware of using insect repellent now.

Makes fire ants seem not so bad!

Also "smeld"? Mommy and Daddy? Is this a grown woman or a 6 year old?

Both. Until she's married and pregnant she's not a "grown up." All activities must be suitable for ALL family members so that means she's never had any real exposure to more grown up ways of thinking, expressing herself, or anything else.

It's also coming into the United States through Miami. One of my colleagues in my public health program did her capstone project on the re-emergence of Dengue fever in the United States. She looked at the correlation of El nino events with the prevalence of Dengue fever in Miami. I believe global climate change is also related to the rise in cases.

I hope she doesn't catch anything from her lack of vaccinations, and bring her diseases back to unleash on her family and the rest of her community.

She's 16, so not an adult. Also she does say that she plans to do more posts about the trip - maybe in other posts she'll talk more about what she did.

To be honest, I was encouraged a bit by seeing her post. it shows that her parents let her pursue an individual interest and travel without her sisters or rest of family. Can you imagine Sarah Maxwell (twice her age) being allowed to do that?

Mommy and Daddy? Is this a grown woman or a 6 year old?

Um OK, I'm going to confess, I do too. It's quite normal in the UK, honest.

So Mommy and Daddy's requirements for her going on a mission trip were:

They wanted it to be for a month, with a family, and no shots.

:roll:

I don't think it's unreasonable that a set of parents would want their 16-year old to be with a family for a month when going abroad for the first time, particularly if without any of her own family members. In fact it seems pretty sensible to me. I'm pretty sure my parents would have wanted similar for me if I'd announced at 16 that I wanted to go to another country without any of my family members, and they're not fundie in the slightest. I do of course disagree with the 'no shots' thing, but I can't say I'm surprised seeing as the Seven Sisters' mother posts anti-vax stuff on the T-Tapp forum.

Archived