Bates Updates

BirthingGodsWarriors

What is the Bates Family's instagram? I can't find it :cry:

Thebatesfam

And Lawson is lawbates

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but a lot of bluegrass makes me want to dance. I was a music major in college, and this topic intrigues me infinitely.

Do they allow music in minor keys?

Do they allow dissonant chords?

What qualifies as 'music you want to dance to'? Is it music that is highly melodic and catchy?

When they say they don't allow backbeat, does that mean any drums at all? Or can heavy guitar strums fall into this category as well?

Does anyone here that grew up under Gothardism happen to know the answers to any of these questions? :)

Yeah, but a lot of bluegrass makes me want to dance. I was a music major in college, and this topic intrigues me infinitely.

Do they allow music in minor keys?

Do they allow dissonant chords?

What qualifies as 'music you want to dance to'? Is it music that is highly melodic and catchy?

When they say they don't allow backbeat, does that mean any drums at all? Or can heavy guitar strums fall into this category as well?

Does anyone here that grew up under Gothardism happen to know the answers to any of these questions? :)

Not to get OT, but I was a music minor in college and worked at a retail store where one of the managers was fundie. One interesting tidbit during that time. Ok, I am dating myself but this was the tail end of the disco era and one evening when we were all doing the store closing chores and the subject of disco music came up. He voiced objections to it because it was too sexy, too sensual, provocative, something like that. In all honesty I thought disco was pretty boring from a musical perspective and not that provocative at all but held my tongue until he said classical was OK and I said you think so? At the time I was studying late 19th / early 20th music history and I could have told him about the opera Salome and the Dance of the Seven Veils. I simply told that there was a beyond disco that was pretty darn provocative.

This is my first time posting but I have been a lurker for a while now. I had to get in on the wedding snark tho:)

With that said, I am almost positive that Alyssa is now wearing pants. On her IG someone asked if her and her sisters wear leggins under the skirts and she replied with "Most of the time they do." I kind of took that as she has ditched the skirts. What do you all think.

This is my first time posting but I have been a lurker for a while now. I had to get in on the wedding snark tho:)

With that said, I am almost positive that Alyssa is now wearing pants. On her IG someone asked if her and her sisters wear leggins under the skirts and she replied with "Most of the time they do." I kind of took that as she has ditched the skirts. What do you all think.

Welcome and congrats on delurking! I haven't seen the post, but I would take that to mean that most of the times they wear leggings under their skirts, but other times they wear skirts without leggings. I think she may very well be wearing pants (although with the weather in FL a skirt would be more comfortable) I just don't think she is ready to publicly announce her transition. Give it a couple of years as an independent married mother of who knows how many kids and we may eventually see her in pants.

Alyssa is flashing serious shoulder in her latest Instagram pic (in a black top). Free the J'Slave shoulders!!!

Yes glimmer of hope! I'm hope they're wearing leggings around their house . If you're sexually attracted to your sister there's something wrong with you not them. Also I look at Alyssa's Instagram and all I see are zillions of pictures of the couple. But hey if I convinced someone that attractive to give me a ring I would have a bunch of pictures too.

Alyssa is flashing serious shoulder in her latest Instagram pic (in a black top). Free the J'Slave shoulders!!!

Yes! That dress is sleeveless and you can't convince me otherwise!

Yes! That dress is sleeveless and you can't convince me otherwise!

i wonder what kelly thinks, seeing as she says the only requirement is that they wear sleeves.

Not sure Kelly can do anything. She certainly doesn't come across as being too uptight and controlling of her kids that have married off. I guess as long as they still believe in Jesus she probably isn't going to interfere with wardrobe decisions that she may not approve of.

yes as long as they pop out lots of baybeez,wear dresses and homeschool,I don't think Kelly will have a problem w sleeves.

Interesting - Anna Duggar commented (on IG) on Lawson's photo that's of him, Josie (Bates), and Josiah and Joy (Duggar).

The same one that a whole bunch of comments focused on hoping for a Bates/Duggar courtship/marriage, of the great week spent there with them, and a lot of references to what a cute couple Lawson and Joy would make.

I don't stalk her IG to know if she comments much on IG or not (apparently not, per other comments) but of all things to comment on, choosing that picture will certainly up speculation I'd think. LOL :)

Especially since it's not like he was at HER house (in DC) or that she or even Josh had been tagged in the picture!

from alyssa's instagram, not sure if this has been shared.

follower:

You are beautiful, and I love you + your family! Do you have highlights and is your fam's reality show coming back? @alyssa

alyssa: @follower Thank you! You're very kind! I do have highlights. Not anytime in the near future. ABC Nightline will be doing a 1hour special on my family and our wedding. It's scheduled to air July 12th!

She's wearing a sleeveless top, but the neckline- with the help of an undershirt- is still up to her chin. It's like she compensates for the extra arm by showing less skin at the neck because she's scared someone will accuse her of not being modest enough. I'm not sure how I feel about that. :think: She really should just wear the scoop-neck tanks and mid-thigh shorts she seems to want to wear.

I'm pretty sure Alyssa meant her little sisters when she made that comment, or she might have been referring to tights.

I don't want to see Joy Duggar paired with a Bates unless they both love each other. However, I could see Josiah Duggar paired with Josie Bates in a few years when she's of courting age.

The Bateses in general have been pretty quiet; Kelly's blog is still about Lawson's CD, Zach's is about Whit's bump and Chad's is focused on Erin's graduation. No Alyssa and John updates (although maybe they are under a gag order since their wedding was filmed?), what's Erin and Whit been doing with their time and general Bateses family updates (obv. attending Jill's wedding)?

The Bateses in general have been pretty quiet; Kelly's blog is still about Lawson's CD, Zach's is about Whit's bump and Chad's is focused on Erin's graduation. No Alyssa and John updates (although maybe they are under a gag order since their wedding was filmed?), what's Erin and Whit been doing with their time and general Bateses family updates (obv. attending Jill's wedding)?

I assume they have to wait for the ABC Special to air--or has it aired? They probably can't post what's going to be in it.

According to Lawson Bates' instagram, at least some of the Bates (he, the parents & Carlin are pictured) flew to California yesterday, and are visiting Lake Mono. Wonder what the occasion is? Bates don't have tons of $$ to splash out on plane tickets.

I assume they have to wait for the ABC Special to air--or has it aired? They probably can't post what's going to be in it.

Someone up-thread gave the date a July 12th.

According to Lawson Bates' instagram, at least some of the Bates (he, the parents & Carlin are pictured) flew to California yesterday, and are visiting Lake Mono. Wonder what the occasion is? Bates don't have tons of $$ to splash out on plane tickets.

Maybe he's doing another music video?

Kelly said she's waiting for the pictures from the photographer. Remember, she took forever to post Erin & Zach's pictures, too.

Perhaps another courtship???

Kelly said she's waiting for the pictures from the photographer. Remember, she took forever to post Erin & Zach's pictures, too.

She'll probably get the photos July 13th right after the special airs...

Strange though how all the blogs are silent at once. I wish they'd give us something of substance instead of hundreds of pics of the couple or Lawson posed with trees. But that's fundies for you, right?

I have to say, the picture from a few weeks ago with Chad, Erin, and the littlest Bateses is adorable and needs to go in their family album ASAP.

I know that he's fundie, but I think Chad Paine is a total sweetheart. Every pic we've seen of him, Erin, and any of her siblings has made me actually say "awwww!" out loud. He clearly loves Erin and her family

Archived