IGNORED

Would the Duggars like or cook what you had to eat today?

tabitha2

Guest Anonymous
dessert: not sure what to call this - I mix up whip cream (real not the fake stuff) + berries + meringues (probably the duggars would like this - never met anyone who didn't like it)

browngrl - it sounds almost like Eton mess. I looooove that stuff!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kids and I were out for a few hours and came home starving. I will admit we had nacho chips, nacho cheese in a jar,salsa and refried beans ALL from Aldi.(Duggar approved) I healthed mine up with salad and mini tomatoes, but the kids say the salsa can count for a veg. :shifty: The girl also had sardines and a peach.

dessert: not sure what to call this - I mix up whip cream (real not the fake stuff) + berries + meringues (probably the duggars would like this - never met anyone who didn't like it)

Sounds like a fruit fool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_fool

I don't see them liking my dinner. I had lamb burgers with caramelized onions and goat cheese. Super tasty.

We had pulled pork sandwhiches with coleslaw last night that my sweetie made, so most likely not. And I don't know what's for dinner tonight as my husband has not made it or asked me to defrost anything yet.Yes, my husband does the majority of the cooking as he and the boys don't like me bleeding all over their food for some stupid reason. :roll: I'm also not allowed to use the saws, own a chain saw, use scissors without a kidlet standing by with a first aid kit or any other knives beside a butter knife. :doh: I only cut myself half of the time, no big deal. :snooty:

Sounds like a fruit fool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_fool

I don't see them liking my dinner. I had lamb burgers with caramelized onions and goat cheese. Super tasty.

Fruit fool doesn't have meringue in it, and the fruit would have to be stewed or pureed. Also, I don't know why this isn't mentioned in the wikipedia article, but fools often have custard in them as well as whipped cream. I agree with another poster, this definitely sounds like Eton Mess (though strictly speaking, the only fruit in that are strawberries.)

Maybe. I'm doing South Beach, and I just re-started the program so my diet is pretty boring right now. I did a baked omelet with spinach, feta cheese and some leftover turkey sausage for breakfast. Lunch is a salad with grilled chicken. Dinner will probably be a salad with grilled chicken and cottage cheese for a side dish. Not really exiting. The feta cheese might be a little too exotic for the Duggars' taste-buds.

Breakfast: porridge made with milk, with some splenda (fake sugar) sprinkled on top. Possibly Duggar approved.

Lunch: low-fat tuna and cucumber sandwich with celery sticks. Not sure whether the Duggars would like it.

Dinner: cumberland sausages, potato wedges and sweetcorn, with plum crumble for pudding. Sadly the main course might well be Duggar approved, but the crumble probably wouldn't - lots of fruit involved, and the plums were from the garden (apart from a few picked wild).

They wouldn't have liked yesterday's dinner though - bulgar with vegetable and bacon sauce, made with garlic, onions, carrots, courgettes, mangetout, tinned tomatoes, bacon, parsley, basil, pesto, worcestershire sauce and black pepper. The courgettes, mangetout and some of the carrots were from the garden, and the parsley and basil were fresh. Pudding was just a creme caramel pot.

For the person with the husband on the kidney stone diet- it gets easier. I've had stones since my early 20's, and while I eliminated some things from my diet, a lot of other things become a rare treat. But I'm glad you are paying attention. It is a genetic thing, and my cousin gets them too, and once his wife told me, "I don't know why he keeps getting them, I feed him lots of broccoli and other healthy things.". My grandma and I just about fell over. (grandpa had them too.)

As to the cooking- I live alone and tend to cook extra and can or freeze it. I do a lot of bento lunches, little bits of leftovers are perfect for them. I also started cooking dinner for my family while in high school, so I have a lot of quick, or throw it together and let it cook meals in my brain.

They'd probably like the main course: Beef shoulder slow cooked in a mushroom gravy sauce. (Cream of mushroom soup, beef broth, homemade onion soup mix made with homegrown home dehydrated onions.) I doubt they'd like the sides: Home canned green beans, and a nice merlot for mom and dand, citrus flavored sparkling water for the kids.

Fruit fool doesn't have meringue in it, and the fruit would have to be stewed or pureed. Also, I don't know why this isn't mentioned in the wikipedia article, but fools often have custard in them as well as whipped cream. I agree with another poster, this definitely sounds like Eton Mess (though strictly speaking, the only fruit in that are strawberries.)

I googled Eton Mess and it looks just like what I made for dessert (except the berries I used were raspberries and blueberries) - will now be able to tell the "headship" that we are having "Eton Mess" for dessert rather than the rather long winded "you know, that dessert you like, the one with whipped cream, berries and meringues". Although I am a little disappointed - I thought I had made up a new and wonderful recipe and it turns out many many people had done the same thing long before me. :lol:

I have serious food issues when I am anxious or upset so I have lost enough weight that my trousers do not stay up. However today I managed a plate of Singapore noodles about the size of half a tennis ball. The ones I buy don't have pork and with such a big family the smaller portion would appeal, but after the tater tot casserole (which sounds unbelievably disgusting) it could well be too spicy...

Most definitely. I just had my braces tightened so I made my self a soft taco with tortillas, ground, beef, and tomatoes. I have a confession to make :oops: I made tater tot casserole and actually liked it! I plan to make it again once I get another can of cream of mushroom soup.

I'm eating paleo, which is pretty much just low-carb with fruit. My breakfast was two bananas, my lunch a tuna melt with the bread removed, and I've had raw almonds for a snack. The Duggars would be terrified.

They'd probably eat my dinner. Most of my cooking is 'pre-packaged with healthy additions'. I leave the scratch cooking to my husband, who has more patience for it. I start with a reasonably healthy base, sometimes a whole wheat pasta, slow-cook rice, or something a little more exotic like quinoa or lentils. I add a pre-made sauce from TJs or another brand that doesn't have a lot of junk in it, or else I season things myself with broth, onions, spices, etc. One of my favorite tricks is using a healthy soup as a sauce, like butternut or carrot soup, either straight, or to stretch a less healthy sauce like alfredo. Then I usually add in more seasoning, maybe garlic, fresh herbs from our garden, leftover salsa or dip, chopped up olives or mushrooms, whatever is sitting in the fridge that needs to get used up and matches the flavor profile. I throw in at least one veggie, usually two, like spinach and asparagus, or squash and broccoli, mostly frozen, but sometimes fresh or from a can. Toss in some protein, either cheese, beans, or something easy like canned fish or frozen meatballs and I'm done. Easy to cook, not much more than boiling water, and maybe throwing some ingredients in a pan to heat up and meld. I always make a quadruple portion, so in 30 minutes I can cook enough for dinner, leftovers the next day, and three or four lunch portions to put in the freezer and space out so I don't get tired of the same thing.

This time it was Mac-n-Cheese, but it was Back-to-Nature brand, so not too many extra chemicals, and instead of making it with milk and butter I used some leftover marscapone, a cup of organic pumpkin puree for a little more vitamins, and a cup of organic curry lentil soup for a bit of spice and interest. Plus a half bag of peas. The additions made for a really rich delicious dish, but it still looked and mostly tasted like mac-n-cheese. It really needed a bit of chopped up curry chicken, but I was feeling lazy.

Breakfast:Brown sugar oatmeal

Lunch: left over hashbrown casserole made with low-fat sour cream and cream of mushroom soup so they would love it.

Dinner: I worked late so he made hamburgers on the grill and oven fries

So most of today's diet is Duggar approved.

I fell into a benedryl induced coma on the hammock today and slept through making dinner.(bad kids didn't wake me up so they could play video games longer) When my husband got home from work, he ordered us pizza. It was my first "wheat" in a few months and it wasn't all that good.I guess the Duggars would approve of pizza,but the fact that I feel asleep and husband had to pick up the phone, order the pizza, and pick it up would not be approved helpmeet behavior on my part.

I had some toast for breakfast, then Mexican food for lunch, and a lobster ravioli for dinner, complete with a mixed green salad and some red wine. They probably wouldn't have liked the chili relleno or the mixed green salad. The other thing they wouldn't have approved of is the red wine I had with dinner.

My diet was highly irregular so I don't think so. Didn't eat nearly as much as usual today and I had more produce than I've ever seen the Duggars eat. I also had some cashews and some salt and pepper crisps which would have broken a duggar budget if shared with a large size family. I don't think they would have liked the green tea I had either.

Brekky: bacon and eggs

Morning tea: gummy bears and a mini twix (aldi brand! win)

Lunch: schnitzel sandwich

The Duggars would probably approve. Btw, the reason I ate so unhealthily today was becasue I was at my grandparent's place, and they spoil me.. :mrgreen: I'm not too bad, usually!

I just wanted to share that having grown up in a Jewish home, I have always associated hummus. halvah and falafel with Israel. Perhaps the Duggars would try it if we presented it as traditional Hebrew food.

The truth is that this is the food of the middle east, regardless of religion. People traditionally eat foods that are readily available in their geographic area. Now that we can transport all kinds of foods around the globe very quickly, we can all enjoy the tastes of places far away. It is one of the great joys of multiculturalism.

P.S. It is common where I come from for Jewish people and Muslim people to shop in the same markets because of the dietary rules and the commonality of preferred tastes. The whole I-95 corridor from NYC to DC shows this overlap. It is one thing I miss about the middle Atlantic region. The cacophony of culture, the sights, colors, scents and sounds is a beautiful thing. It is sad that the anger of the 1960's is reappearing in that area.

There is NO way they would like what i had. Palak Paneer. Creamed spinach with cheese, curried beans, jasmine rice. Fresh Naan. Yumm. And I don't get the mild anymore.

That was yesterday.

Day before it was New York Strip, grilled asparagus, salad. And plain greek yogurt before dinner.

Luckylassie, i love tater tot casserole. I don't make it very often, but it's a childhood favorite (along with a casserole my mom made with canned corn beef & velveeta in it, and her "goulash" that had tomatos, ground meat, and velveeta.)

Luckylassie, i love tater tot casserole. I don't make it very often, but it's a childhood favorite (along with a casserole my mom made with canned corn beef & velveeta in it, and her "goulash" that had tomatos, ground meat, and velveeta.)

I have always wondered if the Duggars would like my version of TTC. I make it with sauteed mushrooms and shallots in homemade cream sauce and add some chopped frozen broccoli to the mix. I do top it with the Tots, so it's not totally homemade, but it's probably a far cry from what the Duggars eat.

On one hand it's prepackaged instant stuff, but on the other hand it's kimchee noodles, so probably not.

I'm making oven-fried chicken for dinner. I'm pairing it with shredded green cabbage and carrot coins braised with chicken broth and dill. My middle kid calls this cabbage-that-tastes-like-pickles and gobbles it up.

Archived