IGNORED

Would the Duggars like or cook what you had to eat today?

tabitha2

They couldn't even pronounce what I've been eating lately (I can't pronounce some of it,) much less make it. I doubt they'd even want to try it.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shopped at Aldi this time, so they would at least be familiar with the items in my fridge. It is hot here, so I am not cooking right now.

First day of school today for my kiddos -----

Breakfast - Toaster pastries, milk, banana

Lunch - PB&J, carrots, chips, grapes

Supper - something microwavable from teh freezer.

Breakfast: organic oatmeal, organic apple, cinnamon, soy milk, organic egg, coffee.

Lunch: sushi.

Snack: organic yoghurt with almonds and honey. Organic apple. Green tea.

Dinner: soup made of organic chicken and veggies. Sour dough bun and some strong cheese.

Not enough processed food for them, I think...

Hmm I haven't eaten anything yet today. As for yesterday, I was out most of the day so got a roquefort salad for lunch - lettuce, dried ham, roasted potatoes, and crumbled roquefort - and fried rice with roasted duck for dinner. Not too sure they would like those. I'm about to eat a nectarine and a chunk of fresh baked baguette from my favorite boulangerie yum! I don't know if fresh fruit and non-processed bread is acceptable for Duggars, but I hope so!

Breakfast: organic cereal (wholegrain clusters with almonds, wallnuts and oats) with soy milk, yogurt, tea (unlikely! not man enough for Jimboob I suppose)

Mid-morning: A caramel frappucino from Starbucks (I can see Michelle with a Venti, if not a frap then she'll probably have a brew in her hand)

Lunch: Plate of sushi and green tea (Duggars and raw fish??!! :O)

Afternoon snack: crackers with Vegemite, cranberry juice (the Duggars probably doesn't even know what it is lol)

Dinner: homemade veggie curry with french bread, water (too foreign?)

Dessert: chocolate, tea

Fresh and delicious sushi. I'm so happy that my train station is right by a hole in the wall sushi joint. :-D

And I'd say no, I'd hate to see Jim Boob trying to speak Japanese.

since I just polished off a couple of local eggs that came from the lesbian farmer down the road (who has the happiest chickens ever, I swear those birds live better than I do), scrambled with some chard from my garden, I think the Duggers would not approve of my breakfast

Jim Boob would not last long in my house. My husband has kidney stones so he was put on a low calcium, low oxalate diet. Then, the tests revealed a tumor in the other kidney. :evil: Kidney out, now he's on a low sodium diet. Oxalates, for the uninitiated, are found in chocolate, instant coffee, blueberries, spinach and a host of other yummy things. (the calcium and the oxalate form calcium oxalate stones.) Its amazing how much sodium is found in regular American foods. I now have to make the bread ( well, we have a bread machine) and plan out the meals (sucks, I'm not Martha freakin Stewart) :angry-screaming: and pretty much cook from scratch. I've lost 11 lbs since January just because I'm not eating processed foods, fast food, etc. I did secretly down a bag of Salt and Vinegar chips the other day at the beach. I COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!! :o Hey! maybe I should start my own blog patting myself on the back for being such a good help meet.

I like to eat smaller, more frequent meals. Humm yesterday I had whole grain bagel for breakfast smeared with real butter. Ham sandwich for lunch (on rye bread, with tomato and cheddar cheese). Snack, a peach. Snack a work, granola and applesauce. Dinner consisted of chicken breasts marinated in lime (from my own trees) and herbs, then baked, chili lime corn, and tortilla chips.

I did secretly down a bag of Salt and Vinegar chips the other day at the beach. I COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!! :o Hey! maybe I should start my own blog patting myself on the back for being such a good help meet.

You have certainly earned at least a secret bag of salt and vinegar chips! Most definitely! Taking care of husbands with dietary needs is not fun. I know - I'm there too!

[quote="acheronbeach"

As for me, it's not the organic/all natural thing I find offputting about the Duggars. It's the fact that they're eating processed junk food as meals. Velveeta, kraft singles, condensed soup, low-fat sour cream made from carrageenan and gelatine, and msg-filled "spice blends" are staples of their diet.

Sure, I eat processed junk as a treat (in fact, I just had a diet root beer and Doritos). But I also cook - which isn't something the Duggars do. The Duggars assemble, and their "meals" are carcinogen-laden heart-attack-inducing monstrosities.

Lord no, I'm eating pita bread sandwiches with alfala sprouts, fresh tomatoes, cucumber, yogurt, and crushed red pepper. I don't think they'd know what pita bread was, other than "terrorist food."

Last night I made curried turkey meatballs over cauliflower puree (kind of experimenting with "paleo" eating right now). My sauce was made from coconut milk, fresh tomatoes, carrots, and lots of spices, so definitely not Duggar-friendly. Too many veggies and too much exotic-ness.

Breakfast was a smoothie made from coconut milk, raw almond butter, and fresh berries. Too fresh for Duggars.

Lunch is roasted heirloom tomato soup. Also made with lots of fresh veggies.

Dinner tonight will be roast chicken (they would likely eat that) with fresh green beans and caramelized shallots on the side (not so much).

Where do you guys find the time to cook some of this stuff!? I barely have time to sleep some days! You guys who have prepared food for lunch, do you precook it and then take it to work? Or do you work from home or stay @ home with children? I find it impressive, I must say. I get up at 6 a.m. and get home at 7:00 p.m. and the idea of cooking is exhausting, much less actually doing it.

Today, I'm being lazier than yesterday, nothing that I'm eating was actually prepared today: the salad is a mix, my muffins were made on sunday, my lunch is canned soup, snacks of fruit. My dinner is probably maxwell-approved, I'm gonna reheat homemade frozen burritos.

On days when I am not as busy, I cook more from scratch. Yesterday was an inbetween day with my husband working late, today is busy because I dance class, tomorrow will probably be more involved.

I made chicken curry last night, so no, they probably wouldn't like it.

Demgirl, in terms of finding time to cook...I won't lie, last night we ate dinner at 8:30 pm because it took so long to make the curry (usually we eat around 6:30-7). I have found that if I do more on the weekend it helps. Plus, I've been cooking for a long time, so I know how to read a recipe and see if it's quick or not. When I have cooked lunch, it's usually something I've made on the weekend and then re-heat during the week. I use the crock pot a lot. I like to cook, so it's also relaxing time for me. Something like pork chops, baked potato and cut up melon is actually pretty quick - thin cut pork chops cook in less than 10 mins, you can do the potato in the microwave, and you just have to cut up the melon. If I have a busy week ahead, I plan more meals like that, and I don't make the curry :) There are only two of us, so most of our meals last two nights at least.

Also, sometimes I've been in the habit of making dinner one night ahead - so all I have to do is re-heat at dinner time the next day. Then I eat, then cook for the next night. It helps when I want to cook but don't want to be eating too late at night.

Where do you guys find the time to cook some of this stuff!? I barely have time to sleep some days! You guys who have prepared food for lunch, do you precook it and then take it to work? Or do you work from home or stay @ home with children? I find it impressive, I must say. I get up at 6 a.m. and get home at 7:00 p.m. and the idea of cooking is exhausting, much less actually doing it.

Plan ahead, while you shop for the week is best. You can prepare quick simple and tasty meals if you plan ahead. And you don't have to use the heavily processed pre-packaged stuff either.

Demgirl, we take turns cooking dinner (I miss having roomates, then I only had to cook 2x/week). But we both work from home so we eat leftovers for lunch - there's usually several day's worth, because we both originally learned to cook in quantities of "multitudes". I try to plan quick meals for weeknights, that's why we had miso last night - it takes about 15 minutes.

Actually today my lunch would be totally Maxwell-approved - I made a bunch of refried beans in my pressure cooker last week, and froze it in quart jars, so today I'm making rice & thawing beans and having BURRITOS.

So far I have eaten part of a leek and cheese focaccia from Trader Joe's and hummus mixed with Corn Chex. I don't know if the Duggars would eat any of it. I feel like they might refuse to eat leeks and might also refuse to eat foreign Muslim Arab food like hummus.

The Duggars definitely wouldn't eat what my family had for dinner two nights ago, because, as my father pointed out, a significant percentage of the meal was grown in our garden

That's what sundays are for. I generally shop on Saturday and cook on sunday. I'll cook everything I need for the week, including lunch for my partner, lunches for the kiddos I keep in the house, and lunch for myself. I cook all breakfasts (which are generally pancakes or waffles) and dinners usually at the same time. It works out so well for us. I get a day to shop (my partner occasionally comes with me to the farmer's market, but he's so not into it like I am) and then I get a day to cook with my partners help. It's amazing how much I've come to rely on this system to the point if it doesn't work out quite like normal, we end up eating out a lot.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I might have to try it myself. I think part of it is that I don't much like cooking, but when I do feel inspired, I have the crappiest kitchen in my apartment and the stove barely works. Plus, it's just me, so I often feel like -- why bother? And I can't keep my car where I live right now (downtown -- too expensive. My parents have custody until I move.) but there are no grocery stores nearby, so I only get to go shopping about once a month, which means that I end up with mostly non-perishables.

I feel inspired by you guys though, so I'm going to try! (Which will quickly be followed by the giving up and the self-disgust that I couldn't even do it for a month. ;) )

I'm making stir-fry for lunch today. Not only is it probably too foreign for the Duggars, but it's going to be made of left-over chicken breast, fresh veggies, and a low-sodium sauce.

Breakfast: greek (actually homemade but is like greek yoghurt) yoghurt with honey and almonds and a handful of blueberries (possibly duggar approved)

Lunch: Tabouleh made with quinoa rather than bulgar (maybe they would try it - it was really good)

Supper: plan to make green thai curry with eggplant, red peppers, peas and chicken + rice (doubt they'd like it - I make my curries fiery hot - my motto is "if you are not crying when you eat it - it is not hot enough)

dessert: not sure what to call this - I mix up whip cream (real not the fake stuff) + berries + meringues (probably the duggars would like this - never met anyone who didn't like it)

Archived