IGNORED

Jill Duggar and Derick Dillard Engaged! - Part 2

happy atheist

Anyone wondering why J&D are marrying before J&B just has to remember who has been courting longer; Boob and Derick or Boob and Ben? :wink-kitty:

Off topic: Aaaaaand I actually made it to 100 posts! *off having a drink to celebrate that achievement*

I believe that whomever Jill meets and she feels a connection, she is going to fall back on her teaching....is the guy the one. She will take every step to determine whether he is the one; even "interrogate" him.

I believe Jessa is reserved on this. Yes, she wants to get married but she is fully reviewing everything he does and will quick to question what he means. So far, they need to work on communicating with one another...that could take some time.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Jessa is reserved on this. Yes, she wants to get married but she is fully reviewing everything he does and will quick to question what he means. So far, they need to work on communicating with one another...that could take some time.

You are assuming Jessa has any say on the timing. Remember in this culture ben can't ask Jessa to marry him until JB gives his okay. Not to give JB extra credit here, but it is likely he who sees they are still young and might need more time.

it's possible jessa has even said to JB that she's not ready yet, so to say 'wait a while' if he asks for her hand.

it's possible jessa has even said to JB that she's not ready yet, so to say 'wait a while' if he asks for her hand.

It would not be normal for this culture. One of the ideals of courtship is that it is quick and engagements are short to "minimize temptation" and to "guard hearts" from committing prior to marriage.

It would not be normal for this culture. One of the ideals of courtship is that it is quick and engagements are short to "minimize temptation" and to "guard hearts" from committing prior to marriage.

When have the Duggars been "normal for their culture" since the show took off?

Also, just because he gets the final say doesn't mean she can't voice her opinion. And if he wants his brand to continue, he can't risk a failed marriage.

Guest LilaFowler

As derik is an accountant, I'd assume he works in their home office.

Thanks. Jim Bob is making sure he keeps the children close to him, even after they marry.

I've always thought of Jill as being the most...conservative? of the Duggar clan. But now that she's marrying a non-fundie, I'm wondering if she'll evolve. Maybe someday we'll see her in pants (gasp!) or listening to something other than classical music?! That would be awesome! She went from being one of my least faves to competing with Josiah for my #1 Duggar!

Jill is very conservative, I don't think marrying Derrick will change that. He may not be fundie, but he is seems to be conservative and very religious.

my stance on it is yes, derick is religious but he is more worldly and with him taking over 'headship' of jill, he may allow jill to be worldly. because he's not ATI, wearing pants, listening to music, watching tv and going to see movies is okay. so is having an education that isn't SOTDRT.

i'm all for the possibilities.

Or Derrick could turn out to be even more conservative than Jim Bob. In my experience, new converts are often the most zealous. We really don't know how much koolaid he has imbibed while being a prayer partner with JB, but I suspect it could be a great deal.

Or Derrick could turn out to be even more conservative than Jim Bob. In my experience, new converts are often the most zealous. We really don't know how much koolaid he has imbibed while being a prayer partner with JB, but I suspect it could be a great deal.

There is nothing that says he is a convert. He grew up religious. He opted to do mission work before contacting JB. He's going to a southern baptist seminary, not ATI bible training. He hasn't done anything to show he's even considering an ATI way of life after the courtship.

Exactly. He contacted Jim Bob to request him as a prayer partner. He's engaged to a women he's never had a private conversation with. That's screams drunk on koolaid to me.

Exactly. He contacted Jim Bob to request him as a prayer partner. He's engaged to a women he's never had a private conversation with. That's screams drunk on koolaid to me.

I'm sure she is having private conversations now that she is engaged. When Josh got engaged to Anna, he bought her a cellphone for private conversations.

Jill is very conservative, I don't think marrying Derrick will change that. He may not be fundie, but he is seems to be conservative and very religious.

Look here...I'm not trying to be creepy or dirty. But as soon as the sex starts getting good she... might have a change of heart. She's already been seen dancing on tv because she's HAPPY! When she reaches her 1st climax surely she will be HAPPY as well. Look at Zach Bates. Now that he's getting regular sex he thinks he can rule the world! But then again, they both might end up being a new generation sequel of JB and Michelle :ew:

I'm sure she is having private conversations now that she is engaged. When Josh got engaged to Anna, he bought her a cellphone for private conversations.

Hmm, I've never heard this before - do you remember where you found/heard this info about the cell?

Look here...I'm not trying to be creepy or dirty. But as soon as the sex starts getting good she... might have a change of heart. She's already been seen dancing on tv because she's HAPPY! When she reaches her 1st climax surely she will be HAPPY as well. Look at Zach Bates. Now that he's getting regular sex he thinks he can rule the world! But then again, they both might end up being a new generation sequel of JB and Michelle :ew:

Also not trying to be creepy but I really wonder how many of these Fundie women can claim that their sex life is truly 'good'. I wonder how many of them simply lay back and take it on the wedding night and then never try much else... :?

Hmm, I've never heard this before - do you remember where you found/heard this info about the cell?

I remember hearing about the cell phone. If I recall right, they said it was pink but I don't recall if the conversations they got to have with it were private or not...

I think it was in a recent episode, maybe when they were talking about Jessa & Ben and all the rule of courtship we've heard a million times.

Sorta related but maybe not, when people are in a courtship what do they call each other? Are they boyfriend/girlfriend, some other term? All I've heard is the term "special friend" but that sorta sounds... wrong.

Also not trying to be creepy but I really wonder how many of these Fundie women can claim that their sex life is truly 'good'. I wonder how many of them simply lay back and take it on the wedding night and then never try much else... :?

I would imagine that even if Derick is a virgin, he knows to please the woman. Unlike guys raised in really conservative, controlled environments, Derick has been in the real world. He went through a public high school and onto a public college. He was the mascot at college, so he wasn't likely to be the kind that didn't hang around others much. As such, he has likely heard MANY success tales from his peers as well as many failures.

Oh I don't mean the wedding night! I mean once things start getting good...then GREAT! It just might totally BLOW her mind to the point she could be "ok" with being more mainstream like Derick's family. I'm certain once they are married they will get invited to some normal weddings with dancing and a little wine :dance:

Oh I don't mean the wedding night! I mean once things start getting good...then GREAT! It just might totally BLOW her mind to the point she could be "ok" with being more mainstream like Derick's family. I'm certain once they are married they will get invited to some normal weddings with dancing and a little wine :dance:

Let's not forget that the girls have "accidentally" had alcohol already. I'm pretty sure they've already realized that alcohol doesn't instantly lead to immoral behavior. Which, I think, would be a major wake up call.

Even if that were true, they got engaged before having any private conversations. That's not normal. Who but a super conservative fundie would do that? AT BEST, he's an extremely naive fool who has no concept of adult relationships and is up for rude awakening when the reality of marriage hits unless he and Jill are blessed with extraordinary dumb luck.

I did see a picture of Derrick in Nepal and in it, it looked like he may have been sharing an adult beverage with a native.

If I were a praying person, I would be praying that Derrick will not turn out to be another John Schrader.

That's the big advantage of the whole innocent maiden thing they won't know how poor it really is.

Even if that were true, they got engaged before having any private conversations. That's not normal. Who but a super conservative fundie would do that? AT BEST, he's an extremely naive fool who has no concept of adult relationships and is up for rude awakening when the reality of marriage hits unless he and Jill are blessed with extraordinary dumb luck.

Honestly, I wonder how much "strictly supervised" conversations there really were. With 19 kids, it's really hard to make sure that you know exactly what each child is doing. And, even if they had chaperones, you're assuming the chaperones were doing anything more than making sure they kept a certain distance away. I'm pretty sure that if I was chaperoning my siblings on a date, I would stand off a bit/a lot and just make sure no hanky panky happened.

You can make sure they're not being impure without having to sit with them.

Also, I really wonder how many of the phone/skype conversations mommy and daddy Duggar cared to monitor. I'm sure at the beginning, they were monitored; but I wouldn't be surprised if those two didn't only supervise when cameras were around to show them being "godly parents." Those two haven't adopted the role of "responsible fundie parent" since they were able to delegate jobs to their daughters. So, I really wouldn't be surprised if they're not hoping that the other kids will be "accountability partners" so they don't have to jump into the role now.

I wonder how many random fans are just sending gifts.

And I wonder what else they could do with that money than send wedding gifts to a well-off couple who will probably get their wedding and house taaken care of by TLC.... like they did for the TTH.

Archived