IGNORED

Hypocritical Christian Restaurant Patrons

ladyamylynn

sundaysaretheworst.com/stories/

I saw this linked from the Spiritual Sounding Board facebook page. A pastor encourages restaurant servers to share stories of terrible tippers/guests on Sundays. Pretty good reading, especially for the current and former restaurant servers among us!

sundaysaretheworst.com/stories/

I saw this linked from the Spiritual Sounding Board facebook page. A pastor encourages restaurant servers to share stories of terrible tippers/guests on Sundays. Pretty good reading, especially for the current and former restaurant servers among us!

We live east of Seattle. There's a great breakfast place a couple of towns over that is regularly inundated by the attendees of a fundie superchurch in the same town. We've been to the breakfast place enough that we're friendly with the servers. They have told us repeatedly how much they dread Sundays because of the rude, thoughtless (and CHEAP) church folk. IIRC, the owner of the breakfast place actually contacted the former pastor of said superchurch over their antics. I don't think anything changed as a result.

Oh for heaven's sake. People are infuriating. My favorites are the people who create a demand for work on Sunday by going out to dinner and then refuse to tip because the servers shouldn't be working on Sunday. :angry-banghead:

That's one thing to appreciate about the LDS church, I guess. They expect members not to work on Sunday, but they also expect members not to spend money on Sunday so they don't contribute to making others work on Sunday.

I used to work at a bookstore and I HATED working on Sundays. Everyone was so rude and mean. My manager (who refused to work on Sundays and made the asst. manager work instead because she didn't want to deal with these people) had a theory. She thought everyone acted that way because they used up all their nice in church. LOL. Regardless, you'd think people who talk ad nauseam about being Christian would show a more Christ like attitude.

I worked in retail for many years. Once, when I was helping on the register, a man told me I shouldn't be working on Sundays if I was a Christian. I smiled, gave him his change and said, "Well, I wouldn't have to if people wouldn't come in to shop after church." He stormed off without another word.

People are actually rude enough to not tip someone because they're working on Sunday? But they expect to served on a Sunday? I'm trying to wrap my head around this and I just can't at all.

I never much understood why tipping exists (beyond leaving the change). I don't understand why servers aren't just paid a proper salary rather than being at the mercy of every single client that comes in. People could still be horrendous, but at least your salary wouldn't depend on it.

I attended a fundie church growing up. The pastor spoke sometimes about how tipping properly and treating people well (including servers, hotel maids, etc) was important as we were supposed to reflect Christ.

One of my co-workers just returned from a one-year stint down South where he worked as a server while looking for permanent work in our field. He said some of the servers would try to avoid tables of certain groups of people as well as people of certain ethnic groups b/c time and time again they would either not tip, or tip very poorly. One of these groups was the church people who came in groups after Sunday service.

He would take the "unwanted" tables as well as the more desirable ones b/c his theory was that a $5 tip from a table full of cheapskates was better than no tip at all.

Oh for heaven's sake. People are infuriating. My favorites are the people who create a demand for work on Sunday by going out to dinner and then refuse to tip because the servers shouldn't be working on Sunday. :angry-banghead:

That's one thing to appreciate about the LDS church, I guess. They expect members not to work on Sunday, but they also expect members not to spend money on Sunday so they don't contribute to making others work on Sunday.

Seventh day Adventists are the same way.

I was really surprised one time when an SDA friend got PISSED at me for using a vending machine on sabbath, because all she knew was the don spend money on sabbath rule, not the reason behind it. I figured that since the transaction didn't involve a human, it wasn't making someone else work and therefore wasn't a sin.

We had a huge fight over it.

Normally I am a pretty good tipper. This week, however, we got four of the best words you can hear about your husband: The tumor is benign. When you know you have a lesion in your pancreas and you hear that there is nothing to worry about, your whole attitude changes. We went out to celebrate and we left a 50% tip. We were so happy and we wanted to share our joy any way we could. (we also made a point of leaving after we placed the money on the table...we didn't feel comfortable about sitting around waiting to be thanked, etc.) It escapes me as to why people who have been to church, which you would think would be a joyful experience for them, would become so mean and cheap.

Seventh day Adventists are the same way.

I was really surprised one time when an SDA friend got PISSED at me for using a vending machine on sabbath, because all she knew was the don spend money on sabbath rule, not the reason behind it. I figured that since the transaction didn't involve a human, it wasn't making someone else work and therefore wasn't a sin.

We had a huge fight over it.

Ha, that's funny. My LDS roommate brought up that exact example as something that was discussed among LDS folks. I guess generally they are okay with vending machines on their Sabbath (as they should be exactly because of your reasoning).

It's interesting because she doesn't work on Sundays, even when given the opportunity. But while we were teaching as graduate students, she didn't have an issue grading/planning lessons or doing homework. Not that I'm judging her for those decisions, by the way! I'm the last one to talk... I think a personal Sabbath (or day of rest) is a great not-necessarily-religous habit to get into (if your economic situation allows), but I'm awful at actually turning that thought into practice.

Right. I personally don't understand how people can live without a sabbath, which I define as a personal day of rest. Even now that I'm out of religion and technically can't afford it, I still do anyway because without a "sabbath" I get burned out very quickly. Usually I choose Saturday because that's what my family is expecting and could cause conflict otherwise, but last semester it was Sunday.

I mentioned the idea of the Sabbath to my agnostic/LDS-raised boyfriend and he rolled his eyes and said something about legalism. And so I told him the way most mainstream Protestants interpret the Sabbath (a day of rest that doesn't need to be any particular day) along with the New Testament story of Jesus saying that Sabbath was made for man, not man made for the Sabbath. He was like, "Oh, actually, that makes a lot of sense."

I like the idea of a Sabbath being a family day if I'm ever married with kids... I know a lot of people unplug on their Sabbath, too.

Right. I personally don't understand how people can live without a sabbath, which I define as a personal day of rest. Even now that I'm out of religion and technically can't afford it, I still do anyway because without a "sabbath" I get burned out very quickly. Usually I choose Saturday because that's what my family is expecting and could cause conflict otherwise, but last semester it was Sunday.

Haha, yes. :) Although my mother has become resigned to my working Saturdays. I'll get someone to cover if I need to go to church for a family reason, or it's a big event (Thanksgiving Sabbath is my favorite) but I've been working Saturdays off and on for a couple years now. I like it, because my sister needs help with her youngest on Mondays, and I'm able to take the kid so she has some time to herself for a few hours. My mom said something about how she wished I didn't have to work weekends, and I said "That would be nice, but if I didn't work Saturday, I'd have to work Sunday, and then I wouldn't have Monday off to help K." Because personally, I think helping someone is more important than keeping the "right" day for your day of rest.

I few weeks ago I ate dinner at IHOP cuz it was International Pancake Day and they were giving free pancakes. When I got to IHOP it was busy and there was only one waiter. Even though it took a while to be waited on and served I left the waiter a tip of well over 50 percent cuz I could see he was working his ass off and shame on management for not scheduling more staff on International Pancake Day when everyone would be coming in for free pancakes. I try not to come in to a restaurant right before closing time or when its rushed but when I do I always leave a much higher tip.

People are actually rude enough to not tip someone because they're working on Sunday? But they expect to served on a Sunday? I'm trying to wrap my head around this and I just can't at all.

I never much understood why tipping exists (beyond leaving the change). I don't understand why servers aren't just paid a proper salary rather than being at the mercy of every single client that comes in. People could still be horrendous, but at least your salary wouldn't depend on it.

I used to wait tables. No way would I do that hard of a job if it was only a wage (probably minimum wage) job. The ability to make well over that an hour with tips is the good thing about the job. That and you get cash each day and don't have to wait for a check. Your paycheck really just covered your taxes.

Normally I am a pretty good tipper. This week, however, we got four of the best words you can hear about your husband: The tumor is benign. When you know you have a lesion in your pancreas and you hear that there is nothing to worry about, your whole attitude changes. We went out to celebrate and we left a 50% tip. We were so happy and we wanted to share our joy any way we could. (we also made a point of leaving after we placed the money on the table...we didn't feel comfortable about sitting around waiting to be thanked, etc.) It escapes me as to why people who have been to church, which you would think would be a joyful experience for them, would become so mean and cheap.

Congrats to you and your husband! That is fabulous news!!

We did the same thing (though not for such a celebratory reason) on our vacation a couple weeks ago. We had had a crappy day and crappy food the day before. We got the best night's sleep we'd had, followed by the best breakfast we'd had, so we left a 50% tip to the awesome waitress we had who was very funny, kind, fast, and all around just a damn good server.

I few weeks ago I ate dinner at IHOP cuz it was International Pancake Day and they were giving free pancakes. When I got to IHOP it was busy and there was only one waiter. Even though it took a while to be waited on and served I left the waiter a tip of well over 50 percent cuz I could see he was working his ass off and shame on management for not scheduling more staff on International Pancake Day when everyone would be coming in for free pancakes. I try not to come in to a restaurant right before closing time or when its rushed but when I do I always leave a much higher tip.

Those freebie deals really suck for service employees anyway. About two and a half years ago J.C. Penney did a 'free kids haircut' deal (no purchase required) just before the start of school to get folks in the store. It worked, as far as that went. People flocked into the salons with bunches of kids to get the freebie cuts, but I gather very few EVER considered leaving a tip for the poor stylists, let alone basing said tip on what the cuts would have cost them had they been paying full freight. The stylists were up in arms because it was really hurting them financially.

Needless to say, J.C. Penney didn't repeat that particular debacle the next school year.

The Christian thing just makes it all that much more hypocritical and visible. Those stories make me cringe. If you can't afford to tip, stay home.

It's because the National Restaurant Association cut a backdoor deal with the federal government a couple decades ago capping the federal minimum for servers at $2.13 because servers sometimes got tips back then. The NRA thought it was fair that because the restaurant didn't get a cut of that, that it should mean that was part of the wage. So next thing you know servers started getting $2.13 and tips became the pay. About a dozen states have laws banning paying below standard state minimum, so in those states, tips really are optional. You never hear about how some states require restaurants to pay actual wages though. Wait staff don't want to lose the tip money they get from people thinking they're making $2.13.

I used to be a server, and it was awful. I hated being at the mercy of assholes, sucking up and putting up with abuse because I needed the tips badly because I couldn't get by on $2.13, and my employer didn't follow the law by making up the difference, though I paid taxes on it. I wished that I got paid at least regular minimum and never needed to see another tip again to get to that spot.

In New Zealand tipping isn't really done, and servers make proper wages, but my friends who worked Sundays in fast food especially complained about the after church crowds - basically take up all of the tables and push them together, make a mess and stay way past closing.

One Sunday evening after church, when I was fundie-light, a group of us headed to burger king. I was last in line, and by the time I got to the front, the server was visibly shaking. I asked her what was wrong, and her answer was "That man - he comes in here every week and is always horrible to me". I was mortified. I then had the awkward situation of grabbing my tray and going to sit with the same group (as far away from him as possible). I hardly knew him and I was livid. To this day I wish I had simply asked for my food to be bagged and then left. Nothing makes me more furious than when people treat people working in certain jobs as "less than"

A girl I used to work with, when I was still in retail, come into the drug store I worked at on a Sunday and boldly proclaimed that I shouldn't be working. When I pointed out that if people like her didn't shop on Sundays, I wouldn't have to work, she gave me a blank stare. They are morons.

There were a few restaurants in Charleston that would automatically add tips on Sundays (they were locally owned), if there were 6 or more in the party. Most times, in Charleston, (SC that is), on Sundays, crowds went out for brunch.

A girl I used to work with, when I was still in retail, come into the drug store I worked at on a Sunday and boldly proclaimed that I shouldn't be working. When I pointed out that if people like her didn't shop on Sundays, I wouldn't have to work, she gave me a blank stare. They are morons.

There were a few restaurants in Charleston that would automatically add tips on Sundays (they were locally owned), if there were 6 or more in the party. Most times, in Charleston, (SC that is), on Sundays, crowds went out for brunch.

That is the norm where I live. Most restaurants have a note in their menus stating that they add an automatic gratuity for parties over 5. Usually it's between 15 and 20%. I've never gone out with a group large enough to find out whether or not they really do. I live in a state where servers receive nearly full minimum wage, for the record.

That is the norm where I live. Most restaurants have a note in their menus stating that they add an automatic gratuity for parties over 5. Usually it's between 15 and 20%. I've never gone out with a group large enough to find out whether or not they really do. I live in a state where servers receive nearly full minimum wage, for the record.

Any group of more than six, in most local restaurants, is has a tip of 18% added to the total--sometimes even if you are getting separate checks... which is fine with me. My standard tip is 20%. I go higher if I am splitting a meal and not getting enough other things to make up for the cost of the second meal. (ie, I tip 20% on what the two meals would have cost).

I used to work at a bookstore and I HATED working on Sundays. Everyone was so rude and mean. My manager (who refused to work on Sundays and made the asst. manager work instead because she didn't want to deal with these people) had a theory. She thought everyone acted that way because they used up all their nice in church. LOL. Regardless, you'd think people who talk ad nauseam about being Christian would show a more Christ like attitude.

I think they're rude simply because self righteousness and a sense of moral superiority contribute to that attitude. So, fundies have just left church on Sunday mornings where they've heard a sermon about the heathens out there who will "persecute" Christians; of course, bad service is a means of persecution.

It's an attitude that is made worse on Sundays because it's energized by reinforcement on that day.

Yeah, I don't really object to the automatic tip unless I forget about it somehow and tip twice. It's become the norm among my friend group to just tip 20% because a friend of ours pointed out that it you just put down $2 for every $10 of your bill it's 20% with zero math involved. :lol: Well, I would object if I had rude/otherwise incompetent service. But that's an uncommon experience.

I think they're rude simply because self righteousness and a sense of moral superiority contribute to that attitude. So, fundies have just left church on Sunday mornings where they've heard a sermon about the heathens out there who will "persecute" Christians; of course, bad service is a means of persecution.

It's an attitude that is made worse on Sundays because it's energized by reinforcement on that day.

This to infinity! I used to work in retail management. One of the last retail establishments I worked was located in a very conservative area, with some people being some flavor of fundie Christian. Now at other places I had to deal with rude customers, but the rude customers I dealt with in this community were completely off the rails. They were contemptuous, condescending, sloppy, never disciplined their children and bigoted. They would refer to us as the "help," would throw their money and credit cards at us, and called us horrible names. They also threatened to get us fired for the most innocuous things. This lead me onto the path of truly loathing fundies and other assorted extreme conservatives.

Archived