IGNORED

Back into writing after hiatus

crazyforkate

From the ages of about 11-18, I wrote like a demon - plays, short stories, fanfiction, poetry, you name it. It was pretty raw, but looking back, some it was actually good. In college I had less time, but would go through sporadic periods of writing. Last year I was hit by depression and stopped writing entirely, especially since a failed project was very much tied to the problem. Only lately have I been able to start up again, with a couple of articles and a novel in the works. Now, it's like I've totally lost my confidence. Everything I write sounds stupid, and I can't produce more than a couple of sentences at a time, though I'm still getting lots of interesting ideas. Any advice for getting back into the habit, and working past the "stupid" feeling?

Just write. Don't worry about the quality, at least not right now. Get back into using that part of your brain, without being critical. It might take a while for your brain to remember how you used to do it, so think of this early stuff as warming up, or stretching. The good stuff comes later.

• 1 year later...

Ariel Gore from Hipmama offers online classes that are very supportive, with a lot of constructive criticism. There are weekly assignments, so that gets you writing on a regular basis. Having to churn stuff out, you know it's not all going to be brilliant.

• 3 months later...

I would really like to know how many FJ'ers have their own blogs! Writting our opinions is something we all have in common

Archived