IGNORED

Lady Bibliophile--a SAHD does book reviews

Rachel333

Ooooh! Oooh! Just thought of something! This little twit's "review" of The Hunger Games smacks of the Botkinettes' "review" of the Disney movie "Tangled." In each situation, the "reviewer" takes the story and gives us all the reasons it's "wrong" and shows us how she'd "fix" it. Rapunzel shouldn't go off on her own, but stay content in her tower and talk respectfully to her mother about what's troubling her. Yeah--but her "mother" is an abusive kidnapper. LOGIC FAIL! And Katniss should have just stood up to the authorities and told them that "Primrose may not go" as tribute. Sure, honey--whatevs.

I think Lady Catherine de Bourgh should have given Elizabeth Bennet a scholarship to Oxford to get her away from Darcy, only to find that he moves nearby, they get married after she graduates, and they set up a tony literary salon together. See how well that works, Lady B? ANYBODY can do it!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not familiar with The Hunger Games but isn't the point that the kids selected as tributes have to go or else, so saying that Primrose shouldn't go would do just about as much good as a Jew in Nazi Germany saying they may not be deported?

Oh, and the commenter Suzannah looks like a piece of work too. She says the characters should rebel, because it's notoriously easy to rebel to totalitaria regimes.

And indeed, describing a certain situation =/= the author agreeing with it. According to these nitwits, Orwell must have thought a totalitarian, all controlling, brainwashing regime was an awesome idea, right?

Her name is Schuyler McConkey. She spoke at a homeschool conference on how to be a SAHD and how to read books and she is an aspiring author:

conference.homeschoolmichigan.org/workshopinfo.html?sortby=isp&sp=smcconkey

Her brother has a blog. The family is IFB and into college plus and fundie:

victoriouswarriorblog.blogspot.com/

Dad (check out moms dress): plus.google.com/106228761740694174764/posts

Frumper-riffic!

Her name is Schuyler McConkey. She spoke at a homeschool conference on how to be a SAHD and how to read books and she is an aspiring author:

conference.homeschoolmichigan.org/workshopinfo.html?sortby=isp&sp=smcconkey

Her brother has a blog. The family is IFB and into college plus and fundie:

victoriouswarriorblog.blogspot.com/

Dad (check out moms dress): plus.google.com/106228761740694174764/posts

Having read the brother's blog, I can only think we need to connect him and Sarah Maxwell. A joint writing venture with both of them would be epic.

If this girl could go back in time and join in the burning of the library at Alexandia, she would leap at the chance. Maybe that's the plot of the book she wants to write. Depends on the godliness of time travel, I suppose.

I started a book reviewing blog a couple of months ago and it's coming a long nicely. Here is a link in case anyone is interested:

http://thebookselfblog.wordpress.com/

Okay, now that I've pimped myself and my blog I must say this about writing reviews. If you want to write reviews-books, music, film, etc-then you have to be open to all kinds of genres, even those that might make you uncomfortable or go against your principles, ideas, etc. I like being challenged as a reviewer. I'm not a big fan of Fox News at all, but I really got some unique insight on the network after reading Joe Muto's "An Atheist in the Foxhole:A Liberal’s Eight-Year Odyssey Inside the Heart of the Right Wing Media." Yea, a lot of the public faces of Fox News suck, but a lot of people behind the scenes are good people. Hmm, who knew?

But I seriously doubt Miss Thang will open her mind about the types of books she'll read ("Catholics are gross!"). Fundies are like that.

Her evaluation of Fantine in Les Miserables makes me want to tear my hair out and weep with horror. Shallow does not even begin to describe this child's thought processes.

Her evaluation of Fantine in Les Miserables makes me want to tear my hair out and weep with horror. Shallow does not even begin to describe this child's thought processes.

She read a whole book about Catholics? With nuns and bishops and all? :pink-shock:

Hrm.... so if a character is a good person they can still be a part of a good story provided they are given lots of chances to repent and consequences follow their actions.

Sounds like she'd be a fan of Breaking Bad! [sarcasm]

I didn't think I could despise her any more that I did when she expounded on Austen, but her Les Miz "reviews" nailed it.

I could be a tad judgmental and rigid when I was an Official Catholic[tm][/tm] teenager (I cringed when I recently re-read one of my high school papers), but thank God I outgrew it. It seems she'll have damn little chance of doing so.

More blog goodness:

"A Study in Scarlet" treats Mormons in a way that is "politically incorrect" (as opposed to grossly exaggerated). Sherlock Holmes' cocaine use is totes okay. (he repents due to Watson..... ????) ladybibliophile.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-study-in-scarlet.html

Homosexuality in books doesn't count unless it's stated conclusively that they're gay. Hinting isn't enough. ladybibliophile.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-count-of-monte-cristo.html

...And those "Les Mis" posts..... WOW

Oh, “Lady,†you have no idea how dangerous it is to accept or reject an idea before fully understanding its nature – and that includes by actually reading about controversial topics rather than reflexively picking a side.

Let’s just hope this is where your stupidity ends, and that you don’t go on to do things even more idiotic in service to ideological purity.

How entitled and naive is she to think people should trust God and risk death rather thancommitting something perceived as sinful ? God would have totally given J Valjean bread had he just prayed and waited. Hrm, and Les Miserables would be a classic even without the musical, the musical was made because it was a classic, never mind that Hugo's style doesn't correspond to our modern taste in some ways.

Oh, and I'm surprised she likes Chaim Potok's The Chosen. She seems to view it as "oh! this story about quaint Jews who so much need our saviour!" . After all, doesn't Danny rebel against his father by leaving Chassidism and doesn't the story endorse thinking with your own head and reconciling tradition with modernity?

But... But Katniss is like Jesus-she was willing to die for Prim just like biblical Jesus died for is.

Her argument, therefore, even from a fundie perspective, that prim should have gone and died and Katniss never volunteered, is completely a d utterly bonkers.

I have many thoughts.

- Her post on Fantine really does make me wonder whether she has read the book. I am very slowly working my way through the book but I have gotten past the part with Fantine so I do know that part well. If you are talking about Fantine in the book stop with the references to the musical.

- Her favorite bookstore is Barnes and Noble which she refers to as Barnes and Nobles in the video which drives me bonkers. I like how she earnestly tells me that she can get the classics from there. Yes. You know where else you can get the classics from? Project Gutenberg. Also while we are talking about places to get books from the public library is awesome.

- I know a lot about L M Montgomery. It always surprises me when fundies talk about how much they love her books. I mean I love her books but I have also read her diaries. She was a bitterly unhappy woman trapped in a loveless marriage who alienated both her sons and ended up committing suicide.

- She likes Elsie Dinsmore. I can see why because Elsie's refusal to do anything on Sundays and fondness for bible verses are appealing to fundies. I know they cleaned up the rereleases to make them less racist and offensive but I have read a 1906 or so version. The books are racist and it is creepy that Elsie sits on Papa's lap and weeps even as a teenage girl. I am not a fan of Elsie Dinsomre because all other things aside she is also a smug, soppy little twit. :D

Oh, Elsie does all that as a fucking grown, widowed mother of several children. I horror-read my way through most of the series.

- I know a lot about L M Montgomery. It always surprises me when fundies talk about how much they love her books. I mean I love her books but I have also read her diaries. She was a bitterly unhappy woman trapped in a loveless marriage who alienated both her sons and ended up committing suicide.

I've seen fundie sites that say LM Montgomery books are bad due to some feminism and mysticism in her books, so I was surprised to see how much she likes the Emily books. They're some of my favorite as well, but I do recall some mysticism that made me uncomfortable when I was still somewhat fundie-lite.

The question I always have for people like this, is how can they read the bible?

As the things that are mentioned in the bible like incest, rape, murder, genocide, drunkenness, eating excrement. Are all things they wouldn't tolerate in other books so why this one?!

Actually I suspect what happens with the bible is either they only read select portions of it or if they have read the dodgy parts then they probably just put them out of their mind.

I got a comrade who's never read the Bible. I regularly shock her with Biblical quotes. She usually can't believe me that some of this stuff is actually in the Bible at all.

She says "But they call this the Good Book! They wouldn't say that if they knew!"

People like this girl have challenged me to write a book that passes their standards but still somehow manages to be interesting and gently brings them outside their comfort zones without realizing it so they might have the opportunity to actually open their minds to other ideas/cultures. I'm not sure how that's possible, but maybe one day it'll happen....

I've seen fundie sites that say LM Montgomery books are bad due to some feminism and mysticism in her books, so I was surprised to see how much she likes the Emily books. They're some of my favorite as well, but I do recall some mysticism that made me uncomfortable when I was still somewhat fundie-lite.

Emily's "second sight" thing and her near marriage to Dean Priest and subsequent breaking off of the engagement would be enough to make any fundy quiver in horror.

This is why SOTDRT is so harmful. She wouldn't know critical thinking if it bit her in the ass and historical context only refers to an author's religion. She is completely unequipped to see the nuance in complex issues, so she will "Because Jesus!" everything.

http://victoriouswarriorblog.blogspot.c ... edits.html

After completing all the questions, I clicked “Report Scores†to discover how I had fared. I was pleasantly surprised to see a score of 65. In the CLEP scoring system, examinations are graded on 50-80 scale. A 65 was the equivalent of a course grade of A, so I was grateful to start my college education with good academic achievement. However, the journey was far from over. I would soon find that not every testing experience would be like this first encounter with college exams.

More SOTDRT math fail.

English fail as well.

In the early Fall of 2011, I took my first CLEP test—Analyzing and Interpreting Literature. My first experience with credit-by-examination started with a successful beginning. Credit-by-examination has been used for college credits since the late 1960s, but only in the last couple decades has it become better known and widely used. Two widely used examination formats today are the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST). For a fraction of an equivalent college course, students can study up to six semesters worth of college material in one examination. The benefits of credit-by-examination are many; for instance, lower costs and reduced time make the college journey far more feasible for students today.

That, I am sad to say, is poor English. So is this:

These college coaching programs use credit-by-examination for accumulating credits; hence why I began my college education with a CLEP test. As with any new endeavor, I did not have complete confidence in its experience. My decision for my college education was firmly clear in my mind: I had no desire to take the traditional college route, for accumulating thousands of dollars in debt and spending years in a less-than-ideal environment were not particularly attractive.

And this:

However, as I entered the testing center and sat down in front of the computer with which I would take my first exam, I drew confidence from the fact that family and friends were upholding me in prayer. As I started the exam, I was relieved that my efforts of study seemed to be sufficient. I answered the questions as best I could understand them, and the time progressed smoothly. I had taken practice tests during my studies, and this exam seemed to be easier than they---admittedly, a relief.

That's not even poor English, it's hopeless. I can't spell very well but I would know not to say "this exam seems easier than they" or "I was relieved that my efforts of study seemed to be sufficient".

:pink-shock:

Archived