IGNORED

Dress Your Truth

snarkbillie

I have a FB friend who is fundie-lite. She posted a new profile pic the other day and I told her that she looked super great in the outfit she was wearing, she said "I follow a plan." and like 30 of her friends "liked" that comment. I was a little confused but I didn't question her. Well, today she had a status saying that she was shopping under the "new rules" and someone commented that they also did DYT and they weren't LDS. She said she didn't know anyone who wasn't LDS besides her followed. I Googled DYT and after a while I found this:

http://dressingyourtruth.com/

I also found this blog entry about it:

http://lifeinzd.com/%C2%AD%C2%AD%C2%ADwhat-a-mormon-woman-taught-me-about-truth-and-clothing/

and this YouTube video:

I think the whole thing is a little silly, but I wondered if anyone else knew more or had any opinions?

To be fair, my FB friend is dressing better.

Um, yeah. ALL of that information can be found on the internet for free (or in books, or by consulting a stylist if you want to drop some cash). Dressing to suit your shape, working out proportions and colour and fabrics and texture... the information is so easily accessible. If you're not sure about things there are hundreds of forums, blogs, youtube channels and so forth out there where you can ask questions and get answers all for free.

$300 for advice you can get for free? What a scam. Jesus.

myenergyprofile.com/energy-profiling/what-is-energy-profiling/

"Energy Profiling® is based on the scientific principle that the four elements of our DNA create our human nature and our natural expressions. The Four Types come from the four elements that we are each created from: nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon."

That is some weird shit.

Looks like the founder is living the LDS lady blogger dream: make money without appearing to do something as unfeminine as have a job.

Based on the before and after pictures, regardless of your type, the advice is make your hair bigger, take off your glasses, put on a giant necklace. (That'll be $279 for the full course, please!)

Based on the before and after pictures, regardless of your type, the advice is make your hair bigger, take off your glasses, put on a giant necklace. (That'll be $279 for the full course, please!)

Not sure why anyone would "bite" on personal appearance advice from someone with that hairstyle. She needs a consultation with a good hairstylist - definitely.

Pretty harmless, but not that much different from something like What Not To Wear. I remember in the 1980s, my mom told me and my grandmothers to "get our colors done", which was the big trend at the time. They just told me what I already knew - avoid anything with yellow tones, and colors like blue look good on me.

Some people, I suppose, could use a little extra help from a more formal program or stylist. If it helps someone avoid buying one bad thing after another, or being scared of how they look, I guess it's worthwhile, but there's nothing really unique or magic about the advice. [Really good stores will do the same thing, but too many are staffed by sales consultants who simply refuse to be honest and try to tell you that everything looks good. My patron saint of clothing is a woman I'll call Our Lady of the Basement Store, who actually remembers my body type between visits and will say things like "you need to try on THIS skirt" and "no, that's all wrong for you". I did get a ton of compliments after she helped me with a bunch of outfits.

Pretty harmless, but not that much different from something like What Not To Wear. I remember in the 1980s, my mom told me and my grandmothers to "get our colors done", which was the big trend at the time. They just told me what I already knew - avoid anything with yellow tones, and colors like blue look good on me.

Some people, I suppose, could use a little extra help from a more formal program or stylist. If it helps someone avoid buying one bad thing after another, or being scared of how they look, I guess it's worthwhile, but there's nothing really unique or magic about the advice. [Really good stores will do the same thing, but too many are staffed by sales consultants who simply refuse to be honest and try to tell you that everything looks good. My patron saint of clothing is a woman I'll call Our Lady of the Basement Store, who actually remembers my body type between visits and will say things like "you need to try on THIS skirt" and "no, that's all wrong for you". I did get a ton of compliments after she helped me with a bunch of outfits.

:lol: I remember THAT!!!!

I agree some need more help than others. I think a lot of people suffer from not realising how awful they can look because manners dictate it's hard to be truthful rather than honest. I have one friend who will say, YOU look great, when I try stuff on, who then as I point out the bits I don't like will then agree :lol:

Everybody needs a friend who is not afraid to suggest spanx, when spanx are absolutely required :lol:

I began studying energy healing over 20 years ago. In 1994, I received my post baccalaureate training and began my career as a Master Energy Therapist.

What the hell is a Master Energy Therapist? And what institution offers "post baccalaureate" training in such a thing?

What the hell is a Master Energy Therapist? And what institution offers "post baccalaureate" training in such a thing?

It sounds like a fancy way of saying she dropped out of grad school and became friends with someone who had this idea to separate money from people.

It sounds like a fancy way of saying she dropped out of grad school and became friends with someone who had this idea to separate money from people.

You probably get it from the same people you can get your "Reiki Master" degree from. My crazy s-i-l's nutcase friend can set you up with workshops for that. Just don't call her when she's busy selling and using illegal drugs or going skinny dipping with her 20 year old son. But if she isn't busy with that, she can set you up.

As to the woman behind "Dress Your Truth", it seems wrong to compare her to "What Not to Wear" as that hair alone would have got her on that show and not as a style consultant.

I freaking loved the Color Me Beautiful thing. One of my friend's Mom was a "consultant" (the woman did every work from home thing imaginable in the 80's- Avon, Mary Kay, Tupperware, Color Me Beautiful, etc). She used to practice on her daughters and their friends. We loved it. When she stopped doing the Color Me Beautiful thing, my friend kept the swatch book, and to this day, she loves dragging it out and "doing your colors."

I agree, I don't think you really need to purchase this program. You can find free information on-line as well as in person.

Most of the "nicer" Macy's have free shopper stylists. You can make an appointment and the shopper will help you find the right outfits for your style and figure.

I take some meds that mean I need to cover up a lot more of my skin all of a sudden (to shield it from the sun) and I honestly found most of the helpful tips about finding affordable, comfortable, cute clothes that cover arms and legs from blogs by Muslim and Orthodox Jewish women; the Christian "modest fashion" blogs were just all over the map.

This confirms a long held suspicion I've had. I have a hitherto unexplained tendency to wear crocs when I am puttering around. I though this was only because I had bad taste in foot wear but now I find I can blame this on trace chemical elements found in my body.

:angry-cussingblack: *shakes fist and yells: curse you vanadium, bromine and sulphur*

I always wanted to have my colours done, but never got the chance to. I'm guessing I'm an autumn person with my complexion and such, though.

That said, this is silly.

I'm a Winter and I actually have two copies of the Color Me Beautiful book. I did think that Carol Jackson got a little (OK, more than a little) ridiculous when she suggested what kind of stationary I should have based on my coloring.

:lol: I remember THAT!!!!

I agree some need more help than others. I think a lot of people suffer from not realising how awful they can look because manners dictate it's hard to be truthful rather than honest. I have one friend who will say, YOU look great, when I try stuff on, who then as I point out the bits I don't like will then agree :lol:

Everybody needs a friend who is not afraid to suggest spanx, when spanx are absolutely required :lol:

Next time I am in the UK I will take you shopping. I am absolutely honest to fault with such things and you would never walk out looking bad with me! :dance:

I always wanted to have my colours done, but never got the chance to. I'm guessing I'm an autumn person with my complexion and such, though.

That said, this is silly.

I don't remember what my season was, but it was suggested I wear some incredibly bright colors I never would have thought of, and I have always gotten the most compliments if I'm wearing something almost neon yellow or blindingly bright green or fuchsia. Easier to find in the 80 s and 90 s :D

And I wish someone had suggested spanx , I had a gorgeous mother of the bride outfit that I was in love with, til the pictures came back and I saw I looked 6 months pregnant in it :embarrassed:

Next time I am in the UK I will take you shopping. I am absolutely honest to fault with such things and you would never walk out looking bad with me! :dance:

:lol: EXCELLENT. You have a deal. I shall bring my best 'trying on' spanx! 8-)

That hairstyle is still very inexplicably popular in certain segments of the midwest, lol.

Literally all but two female teachers at the last school I taught at got that stupid haircut, all at the same time. It was like a fricking epidemic of bad hair.

But that was four years ago. It is going away now, even here in the Midwest. We are not as backwards as everyone would like us to be. Sorry about that.

I don't remember what my season was, but it was suggested I wear some incredibly bright colors I never would have thought of, and I have always gotten the most compliments if I'm wearing something almost neon yellow or blindingly bright green or fuchsia. Easier to find in the 80 s and 90 s :D

And I wish someone had suggested spanx , I had a gorgeous mother of the bride outfit that I was in love with, til the pictures came back and I saw I looked 6 months pregnant in it :embarrassed:

Spanx are my idol. No matter how many sit ups..that wee apron of baby tummy at the bottom shows up in tight dresses.

Archived