IGNORED

Grateful kitchen floor sweeping!

OkToBeTakei

largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2013/11/developing-character-of-faithfulness.html#more

Thankfulness in Sweeping the Kitchen:

I am thankful that we have so much good food that I get to sweep our abundance up from the floor.

I am thankful that I have a nice broom to use to sweep the floor with.

I am thankful that we have a warm, safe, sunny home with a nice kitchen to eat in and sweep afterwards.

I am thankful that I have eyes that can see so that I am able to do good work and help keep our kitchen clean.

I am thankful that I have two hands that are able to do good work.

I am thankful that I have legs to carry me wherever I desire to go, and which allow me to do good work.

I am thankful that I'm not in a wheel chair unable to do good work such as this.

I am thankful that I can help serve our family by keeping the floor nice and clean for others to walk on and not have to step on food.

I am thankful that I can clean the food off of the floor so that we do not get pests such as ants in our house.

*smile* *chuckle* *punishmentexercise*

Apparently her 7yr old daughter moans about sweeping the kitchen floor every day.

With statements like this...

Daughters develop the character traits of orderliness and responsibility to one day keep their own homes orderly for their own husbands and families.

Poor child. That little bit of rebellion is going to be squashed out of her soon.

Erica *smile* *chuckle* totally freaks me out, she is a total control freak wrapped up in religion. I click on her periodically for the horror. One thing I've noticed and would be interested to hear some thoughts on is her 10 yr old son.

His 7yr old sister is taller than him and in recent photos it looks like his 6yr old brother is now the same height if not a bit taller. He looks really tiny and very skinny. I know it could just be his make-up but he always looks kind of sickly to me. Has she ever mentioned this? He may now be 11.

Maybe his siblings are just bigger made?

Her FB is public both the one linked to her page and others, with recent photos.

*smile*

I just read this, this morning. I feel really bad for her kids, she's idolized the Maxwells, and her kids are going to grow up to be robots, not adults. She's just squeezing all the personality out of her kids.

Does this child have to recite this like Agnes giving her Mother's Speech in Despicable Me 2.

If you can, look at her daily schedule for the kids and herself. The 12 and 13 year old are doing chores morning till night while she naps or has computer time. They are also expected to teach themselves as they do not have any school time with Erika. They make and clean up after meals and have barely any time to themselves at all. I feel so sorry for those kids.

Does this child have to recite this like Agnes giving her Mother's Speech in Despicable Me 2.
No, she makes her write it down 5 times:

Then the next day when the complaining reoccurred I verbally reminded her why we sweep and why she should be choosing thankfulness for being able to do it for our family. This verbal reminder apparently made no impact as the next day was filled again with complaining. So, she received my help in developing that character and developing her memory by - you guessed it - writing it down where she can see it, write it, think it, and her herself say it aloud if necessary. *chuckle*
Just let the kid whine about it Erika, that's what kids do! It'll pass all on it's own, no help from mom needed. :angry-banghead:

One thing I've noticed and would be interested to hear some thoughts on is her 10 yr old son.

His 7yr old sister is taller than him and in recent photos it looks like his 6yr old brother is now the same height if not a bit taller. He looks really tiny and very skinny. I know it could just be his make-up but he always looks kind of sickly to me. Has she ever mentioned this? He may now be 11.

Maybe his siblings are just bigger made?*smile*

I always wonder about the boy as well; he is absolutely tiny for a 10yr old... (coming from a mom, who has 2 skinny little boys of her own).

If you can, look at her daily schedule for the kids and herself. The 12 and 13 year old are doing chores morning till night while she naps or has computer time. They are also expected to teach themselves as they do not have any school time with Erika. They make and clean up after meals and have barely any time to themselves at all. I feel so sorry for those kids.

Just looked at their most recent schedule (Aug 2013). The two oldest are now in high school (14 and 15) and are only doing "school" 2 hours a day. Everything else is chores.

She had the same amount of time scheduled in middle school. It wasn't enough time then, and it's not enough time for the more complicated high school subjects.

ETA: Went back to look, and realized the two oldest are girls. So, of course academics are not the priority, I'm sure. sigh

Yuk, I really dislike her.. she is so controlling in EVERYTHING! I thought that in reasing kids you need to learn how to make them independent, not how to make them obey everything a parent/husband/controlling person says

Here's a revolutionary thought: It's totally okay to hate chores! I hate sweeping the floor, too. I do it, because it needs to be done, but I hate it, and that's okay. I let my niece whine about any chore she wanted to- as long as she did the chore. Who cares? I'm certainly not going to lie, and force her to lie, and say that sweeping the floor is fun. (Although I do like my Swiffer Sweeper, and was very excited when I got it.)

Popped out to her facebook. (can't stomach her blog) She looks a lot older than her husband in most of those pictures.

Man, would she hate me. I'm in my 30s and I still whine when I have to sweep. Usually things like "Why is are there crumbs on my floor? I have a dog! Dog, get over here and eat these crumbs. That's why I have you, so I don't have to sweep them up."

Can't people in wheelchairs sweep the floor?

It's possible, but with limited mobility many of the things you do without thinking become a huge pain in the ass.

It's possible, but with limited mobility many of the things you do without thinking become a huge pain in the ass.

I'm sure it is harder but she was acting like her daughter should be thankful she isn't like those poor wheelchair people who can't even sweep. The person I know who is in a wheelchair has cleaner floors than I do so it can't be impossible.

Can't people in wheelchairs sweep the floor?

Most of them can, yes. She's simply wrong in her view of disability.

I think it's right to be grateful for safety and security and adequate food. That doesn't mean she cannot be irritated by chores just like all those poor mortals who read her blog.

Good grief. I hate cleaning. I hate it so much that I started selling cleaning products that make chores faster and easier so that I could share my joy at taking less time to do housework. My kids can talk about hating chores all they want, as long as they get them done.

My dad would just put on his radio headphones when we started whining about our chores. We continued to whine, chores got finished, he could block out the whining. Everybody won.

It would be pretty unfair of me to expect my kids to not whine about chores when I do it all the time. I don't think there's anything wrong with a healthy, happy person recognizing that being inconvenienced by sweeping is a little silly, but that doesn't mean I want to do it. But I do. Also sometimes I don't, but I'm an adult who has earned the right to sometimes not sweep the floor. I would make my kids push through the annoyance and do it, but don't really care if they won't shutup about it.

Most of them can, yes. She's simply wrong in her view of disability.

I think it's right to be grateful for safety and security and adequate food. That doesn't mean she cannot be irritated by chores just like all those poor mortals who read her blog.

Yep. It sometimes takes some creative thinking and it may be more difficult, but it's not certainly impossible. I have limited mobility and some of the most basic chores are a pain in the ass. But guess what? I do them and yes, I may bitch and moan about them. I'm still capable of doing them, so take that, lady! Let your daughter whine about sweeping the floor because she's a kid and sometimes sweeping the floors sucks. :disgust:

I've been following Erika for a while, and the crazy is strong in that one *manic grin* *creepy chuckle*.

But I have to say this last post is the one that has shocked me the most, she seems almost gleeful about punishing her daughter and quashing any dissenting thought. The only good thing is that it seems the twins will be her last babies, because no innocent child deserves to be added to that madhouse...

I've been following Erika for a while, and the crazy is strong in that one *manic grin* *creepy chuckle*.

But I have to say this last post is the one that has shocked me the most, she seems almost gleeful about punishing her daughter and quashing any dissenting thought. The only good thing is that it seems the twins will be her last babies, because no innocent child deserves to be added to that madhouse...

Indeed.

*creepy eyes*

That whole gratitude thing reminds me of the completely secularized BS a former employer of mine got from a motivatinal speaker/life coach/positive thinking guru. We were required to make lists like that at the start of every staff meeting.

And when I once reported that a kid was coming to class either drunk or high every day and had recently turned in a paper extolling the virtues of all manner of illegal drugs (much stronger stuff than pot so don't even go there with me), I was told that I needed to adjust my attitude and be grateful that he came to class and had enthusiasm for writing. No action was taken.

A year ago, that kid was arrested for a pile of charges including possession of drugs-- including Oxycontin and meth-- with intent to sell. He is in prison.

Maybe his siblings are just bigger made?*smile*

I always wonder about the boy as well; he is absolutely tiny for a 10yr old... (coming from a mom, who has 2 skinny little boys of her own).

Archived