IGNORED

Hallmark takes the "gay" out of Deck the Halls

artdecades

Wow, it's like they were trying to start a controversy. Why pick that one line from a song to make a special ornament for the year? And it's the 2013 ornament, which just happens to be the year DOMA was shot down? They have some seriously inept marketing people.

Heaven forbid people learn that words change meaning over time and develop a richer vocabulary (and maybe more tolerance at the same time).

Of course I'd applaud them for keeping the word "gay" in the verse, but think of how easily they could have avoided controversy by just not touching that particular verse. I can't believe no one, at any point in the production process, saw this coming.

And what exactly is wrong with "gay apparel" in either sense of the word (not that any apparel can't come under the "homosexual" meaning of "gay", because, you know, we wear all kinds of clothes?) Nothing so wrong with being gay that you need to change wording!

FFS.

I used the word 'fagot' in front of my child today because "the brothers Grimm" still used it to mean bundle of sticks. My 3 year old can grasp multiple meanings fo words (although, to be fair, she doesn't know any other meaning on that one), so I'm guessing that most adults can handle it.

Exactly, dawbs. I've been bilingual (English and German) from birth, and at three, was able to grasp the multiple meanings of things/words that come with knowing two languages. I also knew that language and their objects are independent. Yet fully grown people can't get the same concepts as a 3 year old?

FFS.

I used the word 'fagot' in front of my child today because "the brothers Grimm" still used it to mean bundle of sticks. My 3 year old can grasp multiple meanings fo words (although, to be fair, she doesn't know any other meaning on that one), so I'm guessing that most adults can handle it.

Exactly: it's the context of it. In the song, it's a traditional thing where people know what the word means, while if you say "he came out as gay yesterday" no one thinks you mean that he declared his joyousness.

(although several of my classmates tried to pull the "I was just calling him a bundle of sticks! I can't get in trouble for that!" trick after we learned fagot/faggot's additional definitions... which the teachers usually let slide... ugh. :roll: )

I am pissed by this. "Deck the Halls" is my favorite Christmas carol.:evil:

FFS.

Faggots are a traditional dish in the UK,[1][2] especially South and Mid Wales and the Midlands of England.[3][4][5] It is made from meat off-cuts and offal, especially pork.[3] A faggot is traditionally made from pig's heart, liver and fatty belly meat or bacon minced together, with herbs added for flavouring and sometimes bread crumbs.

Not tempted to try to be honest :lol:

Not tempted to try to be honest :lol:

Haggis wins in the "made of random bits of animal but actually really tasty" stakes anyway. :D

:mrgreen:

Haggis wins in the "made of random bits of animal but actually really tasty" stakes anyway. :D

:mrgreen:

I try really hard not to think what is in it :lol:

For cryin' out loud! Are people that stupid these days that they do not realize a word can have more than one meaning? In this case it means happy. Back when that song was written, I'm sure they did not use gay for homosexual. I am going to continue with the word gay in it and Hallmark can take a flying leap. I quit buying their stuff a while ago anyway. :hand:

Archived