IGNORED

Lori Alexander: Let the Football Players Pray!

Lori says the NFL doesn't want football players to pray after games, and says that people want to get rid of crosses, Nativity scenes, and the 10 commandments because they can't handle the truth.

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/10/football-players-praying.html

Why are people offended when football players pray? How come the networks purposely try to avoid showing them praying? How come people want to get rid of crosses, the Ten Commandments, nativity scenes, etc.?

It is because anything holy is obnoxious to them and a threat to the world of darkness in which we live. It makes them uncomfortable because when light shines in the darkness, it exposes their sin. Many hate anything that represents Jesus, godliness, holiness, righteousness, and salvation.

I've talked here before about my cousin that played on his college basketball team. When he told his coach that, as a Jew, he was uncomfortable with the Christian team prayers before every game, the coach became openly hostile to him and he eventually felt compelled to quit the team.

As a Jew who wants to be a full participant in American society, I am aware that we all have a right to free speech and that means tolerating the speech of others that I do not agree with. I don't want to get rid of all Christian or religious iconography, or prayers--just the ones that are on public property, done in a way that is with state approval (or gives the appearance of state approval). Private businesses can do what they want, but not if they are discriminating against non-Christians or using Christian prayer and imagery to create a hostile work environment.

I think Lori is kind of pulling shit out of her ass with the claim about the NFL threatening to fine players for praying. I have never heard about that and the closest thing to her claim that I can find is when a Packers playing got on his knees after a touchdown and he got an excessive celebration penalty. She also claims that networks avoid showing players praying. A few weeks back, I watched a game in which there was a injury and players from both teams were shown holding hands and praying while the injured played was being attended to. Of course, speshul Christian Lori ignores that the fact that the NFL isn't affiliated with any religion. Not all of the players, coaches, and owners are Christian.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a player taking a silent, low-key moment to pray. But I've noticed fundie Christians types tend to take it to the extreme and make it a very self-indulgent, showboating, "look at me!!!!" display of true narcissism. And I know this makes a lot of people of all faiths and non-beliefs very uncomfortable. If I was in the NFL (ha, yeah, right), made a touchdown, and then lit a chalice at the goalpost in honor of my UU faith, Lori would probably pelt me with rotten fruit.

Tim Tebow is the prime example of "look at me" praying. Kurt Warner spoke about his faith and sometimes was shown praying on the field, but he didn't do it as much as Tebow did.

Tim Tebow is the prime example of "look at me" praying. Kurt Warner spoke about his faith and sometimes was shown praying on the field, but he didn't do it as much as Tebow did.

That's true but the Rams locker room was a lot less low key. There were bible readings daily and quite a bit of praying. It made non Christian players, like Az Hakim, very uncomfortable.

I have watched many a football game in my life-college and NFL. The reason that they don't show players praying after games is because its BORING! I would rather watch the highlights, players and coaches interviews than Tim Tebow at the 50 yard line joining hands with other players and reciting Psalm 23. And I'm a Christian.

The only comment that on Lori's posting.

Sheila· 5 hours ago

I don't like how Christians are treated but it does show me one thing. Deep down somewhere in the souls of the people that recoil at anything about Christianity they believe there is power there. If there wasn't any power in Jesus, they would not care. The spirit of satan is still spewing evil and anger at God.

Oh the poor American Christians.

In light of all the permanent brain damage being seen in football players I can't help but wonder what God would really think about it. Especially given that the uber-prayer-brigade likely avoids alcohol because their bodies are temples and all.

I never understood this idea that people who don't like to watch such public displays of religiosity do so because it reminds them of their sin....I was never raised Christian so when I see a Nativity scene, it doesn't bring out any religious feeling in me, guilt or otherwise. Ditto with watching others pray, seeing the 10 commandments, or looking at a Bible. None of these things drive me to feel anything holy. I've also never advocated banning these items in public. My only stipulation is that if you allow one type of religious item on public grounds, you have to allow other religions' artifacts too. It's either no religious display or all must be welcome. That is my interpretation of the Constitution. The government cannot favor one religion over another, not that the government can't acknowledge religion's existence.

WTF is she on about? Like we weren't continually subjected to this image a couple years ago?

tebow_zps6d15c64b.jpg

Poor Christians. Not allowed to pray at football games. And I'm sure I'll see nary a nativity scene in the next couple months. They've become as scarce as frumpers in the Duggar household.

:pull-hair:

I wish every single NFL player would consider what Aaron Rodgers had to say about it when asked about Tebow:

"I feel like my stance and my desire has always been to follow a quote from St. Francis of Assisi, who said, ‘Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.’ "

Okay, maybe this is a weird question, but what is it they are praying for at the football gamer ? Is it to win, or to not get injured, or what?

I don't really understand why a football game would be a particular place to have a prayer session. I don't particularly care one way or the other if they do it, as long as its not exclusionary, but what's the thought process ? It's the players job to play football, but if they worked at an office they probably would pray at night or before meals or whenever, but probably not standing at their desk before they check their email. I'm confused

It reminds me of a poem I read in one of those Chicken Soup for the Soul books where a high school football player prays to G-d before a game that his team will win. G-d answers back, "I can't answer that--the other team is praying for the same thing."

I have watched many a football game in my life-college and NFL. The reason that they don't show players praying after games is because its BORING! I would rather watch the highlights, players and coaches interviews than Tim Tebow at the 50 yard line joining hands with other players and reciting Psalm 23. And I'm a Christian.

Exactly! A 2 minute clip of a guy sitting quietly with his hands folded or 2 minutes of a replay of a guy somersaulting into the end zone for a touchdown. You pick!

Watching someone just sitting there, with their head bowed for any period of time is boring and anti-climactic. Now someone loudly proclaiming their faith on the sidelines might get some initial interest from fans but would probably become uncomfortable to watch not too much later. Hey, you want to say a prayer and ask God to help you play your best, go for it, but I don’t think that prayer gets any stronger by doing it on the sidelines. You’ll get just as much out of it in a private moment in the locker room pre-game.

We were taught that religion was a private thing between you and God. We went to church on Sundays but didn’t make a big show out of discussing that fact with anyone. Prayers were said before meals at home but never out in a restaurant or someone else’s home. If we had guests over, unless they were from our church or family, prayers weren’t said then either. My parents didn’t believe that making other people uncomfortable or excluded was what God wanted.

Remember a few years ago when the Muslim high school football players observed Ramadan and fasted/practiced at night? I'm sure Lori would be intensely against THEIR holy practices.

Remember a few years ago when the Muslim high school football players observed Ramadan and fasted/practiced at night? I'm sure Lori would be intensely against THEIR holy practices.

Of course she would, they aren't special Christians like her. I remember that story and All-American Muslim featured that too and there are few Muslim players in the NFL.

Matthew 6:5-6

5"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.…

Lori needs to review the basics of prayer per the New Testament

Matthew 6 5And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

This is relatively common for NBA players, as well. Hakeem Olajuwon and Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf spring to mind as examples. It does make day games especially tough for those guys.

I know for a fact that NFL players are allowed to pray. How do I know? It came straight from the mouth of an NFL player I know from my state. So, Lori, not only are you a cold hearted bitch, you are also incredibly ignorant.

Okay, maybe this is a weird question, but what is it they are praying for at the football gamer ? Is it to win, or to not get injured, or what?

I don't really understand why a football game would be a particular place to have a prayer session. I don't particularly care one way or the other if they do it, as long as its not exclusionary, but what's the thought process ? It's the players job to play football, but if they worked at an office they probably would pray at night or before meals or whenever, but probably not standing at their desk before they check their email. I'm confused

For safety, strength, and guidance, and probably to win.

Archived