IGNORED

Atlanta Newspaper Sends a Racist Tweet

Buzzard

The AJC (Atlanta Journal Constitution), more commonly known as slightly less valuable than toilet paper, yet the only newspaper for the city tweeted this:

post-315-14451998272589_thumb.jpg

Seriously?

Not surprisingly, the headline was quickly changed and the updated article is here:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/1-million- ... ngs/nbWrc/

Willie Lynch of Powder Springs became an instant millionaire earlier this month.

Lynch stopped by the Sharp Shell on Thornton Road in Lithia Springs and bought the winning $1 million ticket, which was from the Georgia Lottery 20th Anniversary Extravaganza instant game, according to a news release from the Georgia Lottery Corp. Lynch claimed his prize Oct. 10.

Thomas Bush of Atlanta won more than $256,000 earlier this month when the ticket he bought at The Otter convenience store on Virginia Avenue matched all five winning numbers. Bush claimed his prize Oct. 13, according to lottery officials.

Tonight’s Powerball jackpot is estimated at $216 million and Friday’s MegaMillions jackpot is estimated at $65 million.

AJC removed all comments on the "unedited" version of the article... but screenshots are forever!

Wow.

Maybe after the next lottery (almost spelled that "lootery") they can tweet: Winner Jedidiah Mudpit-Cracker can get a yard full of burning crosses and a whole lotta sheets.

Okay, I'm dumb, but I don't get it. I probably will regret asking,but what's it mean?

40 acres and a mule was (I think) what a freed slave was given after the civil war? It is outrageously, horrendously racist.

ETA: googled and it's even worse. 40 acres and a mule was what people who'd been enslaved thought would be reasonable reparations, but actually what they got was totally fucked over.

40 acres and a mule was (I think) what a freed slave was given after the civil war? It is outrageously, horrendously racist.

ETA: googled and it's even worse. 40 acres and a mule was what people who'd been enslaved thought would be reasonable reparations, but actually what they got was totally fucked over.

Wow. And an actual real newspaper used that to describe a lottery winner :pink-shock: that's beyond awful. Hope whoever wrote it is fired.

Wow. And an actual real newspaper used that to describe a lottery winner :pink-shock: that's beyond awful. Hope whoever wrote it is fired.

Holy shit. I didn't get it, either (so don't feel bad, Mrs S2004!). Thanks for explaining, August. That's...I have no words. Beyond awful.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/atla ... -is/nbW6C/

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution sincerely regrets an earlier Twitter message that contained an inappropriate statement.

We took immediate action to apologize via social media and will issue an apology in Thursday’s print edition. We do not condone such offensive messages and are reviewing our procedures to ensure this type of error does not happen again.

Yet the "apology" was buried in the middle of a page. Not that it matters, no one actually reads the print edition.

post-315-14451998313905_thumb.jpg

I would believe the apology more if it was specific about the message. Just calling it an "inappropriate statement" and "offensive message" makes it sound like it could be applied to any number of messages. It doesn't even give a time for the offending message, when normally a paper prints corrections or retractions by stating the title of the article and the day it was published.

Archived