IGNORED

Hazardous Journey in Nepal.....

teachergirl

Check out Vision Forum's " report" from Nepal.

Offending host culture and religion: check.

"Proving" creationism using Mt. Everest: check.

In general being tools and complete asshats: CHECK.

What I want to know is how are these funded? That can't be a cheap trip.....

So, they're engaging in a "extreme" sport to tell others engaged in the same activity that they--the other climbers, the guides, and others who make a living from assisting climbers-- that they are sinning because climbing is an idol, while the intrepid men "commissioned" by the Hazardous Journeys Society are only climbing for Godly reasons.

Right.

They'll be lucky if one if the Sherpas doesn't lead them off a cliff. Oh, and "commissioned" = you paid enough money to Doug Phillips (who is a tool) that VF gave you a free t-shirt. I doubt you were specially appointed by God for this vacation mission.

Doug Phillips is a tool, who seems to be hiding something by not posting pictures of his manly romp "mission" to Mykonos.

So yeah. Sherpas.

After all that long plane ride and the drive and the what ever "hazardous" else to get to the area around Mt. Everest... notice that there are people LIVING THERE already in towns full time just doing their normal daily thing. Quite a few of those people have jobs providing service for climbers/hikers, some guiding climbers all the way up Mt. Everest but plenty of other people climbing partway up to various camps and just there at base camp too - hauling all the camp supplies, cooking, maintaining the paths... WORKING, to make the visitors' trips easier/possible. Heck, all those ladders there over the ice falls that give me vertigo just looking at pics, someone PUT those there. For the first time, each season. As a job.

Does Doug ever stop to think about contrasting that type of ordinariness with his "hazardous" travels?

I want to know, but I don't want to look at that website - How the HELL does Mt. Everest "prove" creationism?

I wish Dougie would have sent his "expedition team" to a photography class before they left.

I want to know, but I don't want to look at that website - How the HELL does Mt. Everest "prove" creationism?

I didn't read the website but I have heard creationists use the argument that because clam shells found on Mt Everest were closed and not open it proves they were deposited during a world-wide flood. Yes, I kid you not! And, as we all know, scientific repudiation is futile...

I didn't read the website but I have heard creationists use the argument that because clam shells found on Mt Everest were closed and not open it proves they were deposited during a world-wide flood. Yes, I kid you not! And, as we all know, scientific repudiation is futile...

I bet Noah got hungry and had a snack up there...the closed ones were the ones he didn't eat ... :liar:

:pink-shock: You're pulling my leg right? Do they know how mountains form? I think I need a drink stronger than this Birch Beer. :doh:

So, they're engaging in a "extreme" sport to tell others engaged in the same activity that they--the other climbers, the guides, and others who make a living from assisting climbers-- that they are sinning because climbing is an idol, while the intrepid men "commissioned" by the Hazardous Journeys Society are only climbing for Godly reasons.

Right.

They'll be lucky if one if the Sherpas doesn't lead them off a cliff. Oh, and "commissioned" = you paid enough money to Doug Phillips (who is a tool) that VF gave you a free t-shirt. I doubt you were specially appointed by God for this vacation mission.

Doug Phillips is a tool, who seems to be hiding something by not posting pictures of his manly romp "mission" to Mykonos.

I do wonder what happened there that caused there to be no pictures posted.

I really want to know - in practical terms, what do THEY themselves think they're accomplishing? I'm not talking about the flowery language on the website re: dominion, manhood, and the like...unless that's really the sum of what they claim to be doing. One FJ poster once likened them to a dominionist, creationist version of the National Geographic Society (sorry, I'm on a Smartphone and can't easily find the exact quote), which seems to be a very apt description. If that's the case, is the practical intention to create a sort-of-curriculum in the form of photos and field reports for the homeschooling families who didn't get to go? Is it to be a discipleship, courage building exercise for the benefit of the travelers themselves? I know we snark about these trips being overpriced, glorified vacations, but surely they must at least tell themselves they're accomplishing something specific, besides just "manhood." I know Doug fancies himself as an old-timey gentleman explorer, but it's not like they're making botanical drawings or collecting moth specimens, or whatever.

:pink-shock: You're pulling my leg right? Do they know how mountains form? I think I need a drink stronger than this Birch Beer. :doh:

You mean it's not because Jesus? :o

I bet Noah got hungry and had a snack up there...the closed ones were the ones he didn't eat ... :liar:

Good thing he knew not to eat the ones that don't open or that would have been it for the human race.

I really want to know - in practical terms, what do THEY themselves think they're accomplishing? I'm not talking about the flowery language on the website re: dominion, manhood, and the like...unless that's really the sum of what they claim to be doing. One FJ poster once likened them to a dominionist, creationist version of the National Geographic Society (sorry, I'm on a Smartphone and can't easily find the exact quote), which seems to be a very apt description. If that's the case, is the practical intention to create a sort-of-curriculum in the form of photos and field reports for the homeschooling families who didn't get to go? Is it to be a discipleship, courage building exercise for the benefit of the travelers themselves? I know we snark about these trips being overpriced, glorified vacations, but surely they must at least tell themselves they're accomplishing something specific, besides just "manhood." I know Doug fancies himself as an old-timey gentleman explorer, but it's not like they're making botanical drawings or collecting moth specimens, or whatever.

I am guessing it's a money grab. You have all these unmarried young men who are stuck at home and bored, can't date, can't drink etc. They are sold on how they need to be these macho manly men for God. Along comes Doug with this very slick marketing campaign that reads like a a christian outward bound It probably costs thousands of dollars per expedition and it looks like Doug gets people to pony up money to help sponsor the guys.

Anyone else notice they brought a woman on their hazardous journey. I thoguth this was a men only expedition? Or are these manly men too radically self0sufficent yet unable to manage a base camp without a woman?

ETAS if you are in for a good eye roll go read Dougie's planned expedition to Antarctica! Talk about hubris hazardousjourneys.org/expeditions/society-expeditions/antarctica/

Doug is looking for some Brokeback Mountain style Sherpa action. :music-tool:

So, I googled, found an ever funnier one ... marine fossils on mt everest are 'proof' it was covered by water.

:angry-banghead:

I'm going to guess what happened is that there is NO WAY they were in Europe's premiere gay men's vacation destination and can make that into a white man's burden lesson. There are gay men's beaches. There are open gay commitment ceremonies in public squares. There are even pink flamingos, FFS. You cannot make Mykonos about rugged, back to the land dominionist bullshit. You can't.

Still, Doug Phillips is a Tool, and he is going to try. Which should keep this place in lolz for months. :lol: :lol:

Oh, for f**k's sake. The arrogance and the idiocy, they just keep on astonishing, don't they??

The Tibetan name for Everest is Chomolungma. It means Goddess Mother (Mother, Dougie. Mother.) of Mountains. And for centuries, Nepalis and Tibetans have gotten along just fine without the likes of Dougie and his manly-romping crew. And will again, after the boys check out of their hotel and board the plane back to Texas.

It may be for the best that we don't know, but if its what I think it is Pecan David and his buddy Robert need to get away from Gothard and go have sexy times, I mean manly adventures with the Doug. :ymca: :music-tool:

Just what is needed a bigger traffic jam then usual on Everest. this time a ego filled one.

really these are just boy trips labeled as some stupid kind of christian pilgrimage that can be paid for by donations.

I'm going to guess what happened is that there is NO WAY they were in Europe's premiere gay men's vacation destination and can make that into a white man's burden lesson. There are gay men's beaches. There are open gay commitment ceremonies in public squares. There are even pink flamingos, FFS. You cannot make Mykonos about rugged, back to the land dominionist bullshit. You can't.

Still, Doug Phillips is a Tool, and he is going to try. Which should keep this place in lolz for months. :lol: :lol:

They were supposed to be going to other places too (apparently starting in Istanbul and finishing in Athens), why no pictures of them either? Maybe no-one wanted to shell out $5700 to fund Doug's fantasy yacht trip.

Also, this 'persevero' thing he signs everything with... I assume it is supposed to be Latin, but it just means 'I persevere' which is a funny way to end a correspondence. I would guess that he actually wants to say 'persevere!' as an imperative form of encouragement, so he should be using perseverate or something similar.

Edit: hope I got the quotes nested correctly.

Dougie is looking for Shangri-la, so he can get this song stuck in his head!

M8FVHOJko4c

:D

From a picture caption on the Hazardous Journeys Facebook page:

Note the stupa in the distance - these cover the hillsides and are all along the trails. Around every corner you find these idols to false Gods which show us a people who vey much live a life of supersition and works.

(hope whoever wrote that meant "very," not "vey." But I say "oy vey" to the caption)

and a comment after it:

Wow. What a contrast: God's creation displays His majesty, while men erect idols in the midst of it!

:roll: How would you feel if folks came over to Texas from Nepal, and made comments like that about your churches, folks?

Although I doubt we could find a mean enough Buddhist to do so.

?

ETAS if you are in for a good eye roll go read Dougie's planned expedition to Antarctica! Talk about hubris hazardousjourneys.org/expeditions/society-expeditions/antarctica/

Is it abuse to animals to hope a polar bear eats him? Also, Doug can go deny climate science on the both the Himalayan and Antarctica trips.

Archived