IGNORED

Dougie's plug for S(c)amaritan "Ministries" insurance

Marian the Librarian

Doug Phillips (who is a tool) has a new post on his blog, about the "devastating news" of the recent passage of the health care initiative. He is "prayerfully suggesting" that we all consider Samaritan Ministries, rather than that nasty ol' neo-Marxist Obamacare.

The United States has taken another significant step towards greater government control over the family with the passage of President Obama’s neo-Marxist health care initiative. The highly professional executive team at Samaritan Ministries...some are personal friends of mine...

Does he get a cut of the money that Scamaritan takes in?

Does he get a cut of the money that Scamaritan takes in?

He gets a discount on his family's premiums/annual fees. At this point he may also get certain kickbacks, because I can't imagine they have much of a fee left after all his referrals. Which is kind of the problem with having a pseudo-insurance org with no oversight.

He doesn't provide real insurance to his workers (like Perry Coghlan), but refers them to SM instead. Because that's not a conflict of interest or anything :roll:

Oh, and FFS Doug Phillips is a tool, Obamacare has basically no impact on your life. Your shady "insurance" company somehow meets the requirements (or has an exemption), so you don't have to change anything about how you approach your family's healthcare.

Oh, but it does. Think about all the kickbacks he wouldn't get if ppl were to sign up for REAL affordable(ish) healthcare instead of forking out for this scam.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

If Doug Phillips recommends it, don't touch it with a ten foot pole. Doug Phillips is a TOOL!

Doug Phillips (who is a tool) has a new post on his blog, about the "devastating news" of the recent passage of the health care initiative. He is "prayerfully suggesting" that we all consider Samaritan Ministries, rather than that nasty ol' neo-Marxist Obamacare.

"Prayerfully suggesting" = "I expect you to sign up post haste. Since God speaks to me, you can take this as a direct order".

Doug Phillips is a tool (who has still not posted an account of his manly romp mission to Greece).

I just can't see this qualifying as insurance. A it is not insurance B it does not cover much of anything no prescriptions no emergency services no preventative care no doctors visits and it does not cover birch control or anything in that realm.

I just can't see this qualifying as insurance. A it is not insurance B it does not cover much of anything no prescriptions no emergency services no preventative care no doctors visits and it does not cover birch control or anything in that realm.

Routine dr appointments have got to be expensive if they're paying the full amount out of pocket.

Will this be accepted as insurance under the affordable health care act?

Routine dr appointments have got to be expensive if they're paying the full amount out of pocket.

that's the thing they only cover expensive stuff and you have to beg for help through the public newsletter. they can reject anything they thing is unchristian.

So you know they seldom go to the doctor or use meds if they don't have too.

It was always interesting to me that they specifically exclude costs related to adopted kids' special needs if the parent member was aware of those needs prior to the adoption. Seems to go against the general fundie trend with respect to adoption.

Source: samaritanministries.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/20130614Guidelines.pdf

-- See pgs. 16, 23, 26

Reece's Rainbow specifically touches on this issue, so it must be a thing:

http://reecesrainbow.org/new-family/newfamily

-- See No. 7 (and no, I'm NOT endorsing Reece's Rainbow, but don't get me started with that...)

I once asked about that in a comment on an adoption blog and the author responded that if I was truly interested to contact her privately, so apparently there is a work-around of some sort if you ask for it.

theblessingofverity.com/2012/04/what-is-holding-you-back/

But it still seems kind of an odd position for an Evangelical organization, if you ask me.

Edit: Found the link to the blog post where I asked about Samaritan's Ministries and special needs adoption.

I don't know how, but yes, it is allowed.

I wonder if they would have covered my recent double mastectomy/reconstruction? After all, they were breasts and who needs to look normal in clothes?

I really don't understand the fundie reaction to the affordable care act. I know its Obama, and they hate the fact that he exists, but what is their ~biblical~ justification that insurance is wrong?

It was always interesting to me that they specifically exclude costs related to adopted kids' special needs if the parent member was aware of those needs prior to the adoption. Seems to go against the general fundie trend with respect to adoption.

Source: samaritanministries.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/20130614Guidelines.pdf

-- See pgs. 16, 23, 26

Reece's Rainbow specifically touches on this issue, so it must be a thing:

http://reecesrainbow.org/new-family/newfamily

-- See No. 7 (and no, I'm NOT endorsing Reece's Rainbow, but don't get me started with that...)

I once asked about that in a comment on an adoption blog and the author responded that if I was truly interested to contact her privately, so apparently there is a work-around of some sort if you ask for it.

theblessingofverity.com/2012/04/what-is-holding-you-back/

But it still seems kind of an odd position for an Evangelical organization, if you ask me.

Edit: Found the link to the blog post where I asked about Samaritan's Ministries and special needs adoption.

How does it fill the requirements related to ACA on no longer having major restrictions on pre existing conditions?

I really don't understand the fundie reaction to the affordable care act. I know its Obama, and they hate the fact that he exists, but what is their ~biblical~ justification that insurance is wrong?

They hate it because they are told to hate it.

Why are we wasting time writing blog posts complaining about Obamacare? There are important pictures of Greece that need to posted on the internet for the world to see!

All postponing the inevitable posting of the pics will do is give me time to think. You know you have to post them before you will be able to sell the DVDs of the journey for low low price of $79.99. The more I think, the more the LOL there will be. Just man-up and post them already!

The mere idea of birth control would make you in eligible as you are automatically considered a sinner. Scamaritans only help themselves, you know.

What a great system: at any moment, someone involved with Scamaritan can decide to cut you off because you had a disagreement with your pastor, you had a beer at the football game, you said the word "fuck" in public, your hair/hemline is too long/short, your kid voted for a Democrat, or their definition of "Christian" suddenly changed. What if you paid out of pocket for a major health need, expecting the Scamaritans to help you pay, but they decided that you weren't sufficiently Christian that month? Maybe you forgot to make a bribe love offering to Vision Forum or a Scamaritan-associated cause one month--does that mean you are out of luck for health coverage until you start tithing?

Oh, and Doug Phillips is a tool.

How does it fill the requirements related to ACA on no longer having major restrictions on pre existing conditions?

It doesn't actually fulfill the requirements of ACA healthcare. What happens is that people signed up for it and other healthcare sharing ministries are exempt from having to sign up from an insurance policy.

Here's a good article that explains it: http://www.npr.org/2013/09/28/227238887 ... al-mandate

I am sure they wouldn't cover any mental illness because we know that is the work of the devil and not having enough faith.

Does Scamaritan require that your doctors be sufficiently "Christian" before they'll pay for services? If your local hospital is, say, Saint Mary's or Beth Israel, would Scamaritan require you to go to a more "Christian"-sounding hospital? If a doctor on staff of your medical group, clinic or hospital prescribes birth control--even if you don't see that practitioner--would Scamaritan require you to go elsewhere for your health care?

There could be thousands of excuses why Scamaritan would refuse to cover your health expense, all in the name of whatever version of Christianity they happen to be espousing at the moment.

Doug Phillips is a tool who is woefully neglectful in posting photos and stories from his sweet fellowship holy mission to Greece.

Does Scamaritan require that your doctors be sufficiently "Christian" before they'll pay for services? If your local hospital is, say, Saint Mary's or Beth Israel, would Scamaritan require you to go to a more "Christian"-sounding hospital? If a doctor on staff of your medical group, clinic or hospital prescribes birth control--even if you don't see that practitioner--would Scamaritan require you to go elsewhere for your health care?

There could be thousands of excuses why Scamaritan would refuse to cover your health expense, all in the name of whatever version of Christianity they happen to be espousing at the moment.

Doug Phillips is a tool who is woefully neglectful in posting photos and stories from his sweet fellowship holy mission to Greece.

Actually, they have a pretty easy-to-read guidelines document, available here: samaritanministries.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/20130614Guidelines.pdf

I didn't see anything about requiring the provider to be of a certain faith, but then again I didn't read it too carefully. The agreement contains a binding arbitration clause, so there are limits to avenues for enforcement, but I wouldn't get carried away saying that they just make up new rules as they go along.

Edit: Broke link (just in case)

Also had a WTF over Scamaritan being an "approved" insurance under the ACA. I'm surprised that the government hasn't discovered the Scamaritan insurees, like Tait Zimmerman, who receive $100s of Ks worth of care & then renege on paying for it or weasel out of paying for most of it. You'd think that would invalidate Scamaritan's inclusion in the ACA because the rest of us are paying for these scammers.

Re: Doug Phillips Is A Tool & the delayed posting of the Mediterranean cruise account - Maybe it's a matter of "What happens in Mykonos stays in Mykonos" :gay-umbrella:

And because it can't be said too much:

Doug Phillips Is A Tool

I am sure they wouldn't cover any mental illness because we know that is the work of the devil and not having enough faith.

You're absolutely right: mental illness is not covered :doh:

I looked at the list they link to for "cash friendly" doctors. There's not much around me.

I'm trying to picture running or calling around to find a cash-friendly doctor in the middle of a health crises. Too many things up in the air with this plan.

Archived